PS4-The Order

Destination PlayStation News: MGS PS3 Bundle, Kratos PSP and DualShock3 Release Date

Al De Leon's Avatar + Posted by Al De Leon on Feb 26, 2008 // Sr. PR Manager, SCEA

Not every video game event is a press and party extravaganza (like last week’s GDC). As a gamer, you may not have heard of Destination PlayStation – a meeting between Sony PlayStation, retailers, and 3rd party teams taking place right now in Arizona. But the discussions at DPS are generally pretty significant. Here’s what’s being announced RIGHT NOW.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 Bundle
To coincide with the much-anticipated North American launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots in late Q2 2008, SCEA will introduce a PS3 bundle, which will include an 80GB PS3, the upcoming blockbuster Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, and a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for $499.99 (MSRP).

As has been announced previously, MGS4 will include a Metal Gear Online “Starter Pack.” If you can’t wait to try out MGS4, the good news is you don’t have to much longer. Those who pre-order the game will be guaranteed access to a multiplayer beta test for Metal Gear Online scheduled for late April.

GoW PSP Back LoRes

God of War PSP Entertainment Pack
In June, a new PSP Entertainment Pack will be hitting stores, featuring the famous face of the Ghost of Sparta — Kratos. Here’s what you get in the bundle, which will be available for $199.99 (MSRP):

God of War: Chains of Olympus still arrives for PSP on March 4, 2008.

GoW PSP Front LoRes

DUALSHOCK 3
The final piece of big news coming out of DPS is another much-requested release date: SCEA will introduce the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for the first time in North America in April 2008 for $54.99 (MSRP). Compatible with more than 100 PS3 games, DUALSHOCK 3 has both rumble and motion-sending SIXAXIS technologies. So now you’ll be able to play Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and, yes, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots with rumble turned ON.

248 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ OrganicShadow on February 26th, 2008 at 11:10 am said:

Will we be getting black AND white DS3′s? Or just black?

Territories with white PS3′s aside- you guys would make a KILLING if you released white DS3′s over here. Otherwise expect people to keep importing them and ignore all the black units on shelves.

+ roku6wiz on February 26th, 2008 at 11:10 am said:

omg that is awesome, i really wish the god of war bundled psp would have came out earlier i really would have bought it. and so excited about mgs4

+ Raziel Dune on February 26th, 2008 at 11:11 am said:

Wow that bundle is sweet i was waiting to see what you guys were gonna do with the 80gb. Dang thats a nice color psp.

+ nmc75 on February 26th, 2008 at 11:11 am said:

Does the new 80gb PS3 bundle include a PS3 with backwards compatibility for PS2 games?

+ adeleon on February 26th, 2008 at 12:44 pm said:

Yes, similar to the Motorstorm bundle, the new MGS4 bundle features an 80GB PS3 with some PS2 backwards compatibility.

+ chubigans on February 26th, 2008 at 11:11 am said:

AWESOME news.

Any news on PSN Cards? Please? That would make this event 1000% more awesome.

+ Fersis on February 26th, 2008 at 11:12 am said:

Absolute awesome news !!!!
Oh man , im so hyped for MGS4!!

+ xberserker on February 26th, 2008 at 11:14 am said:

Where can I pre-order MGS4 to get into that Beta? :D :D

+ FFObsessed on February 26th, 2008 at 11:17 am said:

Is the MGO Beta test for Europeans too? More importantly those of UK residence? :P

+ Reddsk on February 26th, 2008 at 11:17 am said:

You guys REALLY want me to have to buy another PSP don’t you? Thanks for the blog btw. Nice seeing all the rumors early and then not having to wait long for you to confirm for us here.

+ poprocker on February 26th, 2008 at 11:18 am said:

Can you officially confirm or deny that Socom Confrontation will be released in Q4 2008?

+ Carl on February 26th, 2008 at 11:18 am said:

So does this “Pre-ordred MGS4 and be guaranteed a place in the MGO BETA” thing apply worldwide or just in America? Can you verify that for us…I’m wondering if us Europeans get that too, because i think we should…

Anyway this is all awesome!

+ adeleon on February 26th, 2008 at 12:47 pm said:

Sorry, Carl, this offer specifically refers to North America.

+ DocEvils on February 26th, 2008 at 11:19 am said:

OMG I wet my self :O

does the 80GB come to Europe too?

+ SILV3R_ on February 26th, 2008 at 11:20 am said:

Well well well.. the answer to the missing 80gig.

Is this a Solid Snake Date for MGS4, No push back or anything?

+ Jeigh on February 26th, 2008 at 11:20 am said:

Holy Sh**!

Wow, this post was nearly orgasmic! With access to MGS Online I’m preordering it pretty **mn quickly! Same goes for that GoW PSP!!

Ha, this was absolutely beautiful! :D

+ NewYork214 on February 26th, 2008 at 11:20 am said:

wow. cool stuff. i already own a PS3 and a PSP so wont be pickin up a bundle but going to be gettin the games no matter what. and cant wait for the dualshock 3

+ byrd864 on February 26th, 2008 at 11:20 am said:

DOH! And I just had to get a PSP a month ago and couldn’t wait for a red one. Oh well, I still love it. But you guys did a good job with that red psp pack.. What a deal. Nice color, nice game, nice movie, and a ps store dl….dang!

It’s cool to hear about a MGS4 bundle since so many ppl want that game and some still haven’t gotten a ps3.

Only thing I don’t like is that you guys are charging an extra five bucks for DS3….I know it has more than the sixaxis of now, but is the $5 worth it? Still good to know it’ll come in April.

+ Sakimori_X on February 26th, 2008 at 11:22 am said:

I’ll second #4′s question:

Will the 80GB PS3 have hardware BC? I have a 60GB myself, but have a friend who is looking to get a PS3 soon and hardware BC would be a huge selling point.

+ sonu on February 26th, 2008 at 11:27 am said:

Damn, luving the GOW psp!

+ Mana Knight on February 26th, 2008 at 11:27 am said:

I want that PSP so badly. I may also get another PS3 for the MGS4 bundle. Awesome news.

+ SevenFactors on February 26th, 2008 at 11:38 am said:

I knew Sony would not let me play MGS4 without a DualShock 3. And please sony PLEASE, whatever happened to SONY STYLE? Stop making colored PS controllers with black buttons. Make them the same color as the controllers or at least make them clear like those on the PSP. I mean, the PS button on every Sixaxis and now DualShock 3 should be more than hint. PLEASE I ASK, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh on another note, that Kratos PSP sure makes me want to get the Slim PSP and put my Fat PSP to rest.

+ stennex on February 26th, 2008 at 11:39 am said:

Home ROCKS!

+ ftwrthtx on February 26th, 2008 at 11:39 am said:

I’ll stick with my Ice Silver PSP but I may have to pick up a DS controller.

Thanks for the info!

+ Aaron on February 26th, 2008 at 11:47 am said:

w00t! w00t! Sony FTW!!!!

+ Joe on February 26th, 2008 at 11:47 am said:

Why is the movie Superbad. I would think 300 would be the one you would want to watch when you are not playing GOW.

+ darkiewonder on February 26th, 2008 at 11:49 am said:

awesome news. keep it coming with the PSN card announcement.

+ linton on February 26th, 2008 at 11:49 am said:

double wow

+ GibbShift on February 26th, 2008 at 11:51 am said:

Wow, Awesome MGS4 bundle. At that price, it’s a steal. You get the 80GB PS3, a brand new DS3, and MF’ingGS4!?!? People who consider that overpriced need their heads examined.

But then you guys went and did it with the GoW Bundle. I HAVE to own that Deep Red PSP with Kratos on the back. There’s just no getting around it. How I will acquire that bundle and MGS4 in the same month may mean I’ll be on the corner somewhere in your city. Don’t be a stranger. *wink*

+ Aaron on February 26th, 2008 at 11:51 am said:

Al De Leon does it matter who we pre-order MGS4 from to get access to the beta for MGO?

+ Lirion on February 26th, 2008 at 11:56 am said:

Finally release dates, awsome Sony. Hopefully you’ll release them with no delays.

+ Jenovah on February 26th, 2008 at 11:58 am said:

YES!! I knew Sony would come through after a relatively quiet GDC. This is GREAT news.

+ Cpt.blue on February 26th, 2008 at 12:10 pm said:

WHO is voting this less than five squares? Are you out of your mind? This PS3 bundle is the best marketing move SONY has made in the last two years – bravo! Looks like i’ll hold off on preordering GTA4 and take a gander at MGS4 instead.

+ supotuco on February 26th, 2008 at 12:10 pm said:

what about people who pre-ordered on amazon do they get into the beta

+ EvoAnubis on February 26th, 2008 at 12:10 pm said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh . . . . . . yeaaaah! This is great news! Let the good times roll!

+ Genki-Rocket on February 26th, 2008 at 12:11 pm said:

By the way guys

14 exclusive HOME screens

+ Aaron on February 26th, 2008 at 12:11 pm said:

@ #31

Xbox/Nintendo Fanboys & Sony Haters

+ HeyDanBud on February 26th, 2008 at 12:12 pm said:

nice. i wonder if the 40 gb will be getting the DS3 bundled with it from then on as well?

+ Athanasios on February 26th, 2008 at 12:14 pm said:

Wow, thanks for the great news! I can’t wait!

+ Athanasios on February 26th, 2008 at 12:14 pm said:

Wow, thanks for the great news! I can’t wait!

+ jeffbax on February 26th, 2008 at 12:14 pm said:

There’s going to be no backward compatible SKU until June? (the 80GB is no longer available online for almost a month now…)

The bundle is cool, but I really hope I don’t have to wait until June to get the White SKU PS3 :(

+ tearsofash on February 26th, 2008 at 12:15 pm said:

Nice news, but what of Backwards compatibility in this new 80gigabyte GIFT FROM THE HEAVENS

Tee-hee.

+ mobiletone on February 26th, 2008 at 12:19 pm said:

i’ve had my white DS3 for a month already, tastey bit of kit, never realised how much i missed rumble until then. thanks Sony. a much better built pad than the one we got in the box with the console.

haven’t played a ps2 game yet either that it doesn’t work with.

and as for the price whiners, the standard sixaxis is still making $70 in major retailers here in the UK!!

+ night_sign on February 26th, 2008 at 12:28 pm said:

And new firwmware update?

+ scorpio on February 26th, 2008 at 12:29 pm said:

Nice PS3 bundle, there will be people picking up a PS3 for MGS so that’s cool that they bundled it.

Nice to get some confirmations on the other stuff.

+ Toadzter17 on February 26th, 2008 at 12:30 pm said:

@1

Speak for yourself. I’m getting the black ones to go with my system

+ ibunkun on February 26th, 2008 at 12:33 pm said:

8o gig sounds good but is it the one with BC, cardreader and 4usb or just that stupid 4ogig (noBC/no cardreader/2USB).
well $499 for a full oldschool PS3 with a DS3 and MGS4 is great. $499 for a 4ogig with an HDD upgrade etc is not ok. $399(+ estimated 2o$ for upgrade)+6o$ for the game = $479.

+ Aerfox on February 26th, 2008 at 12:35 pm said:

Its nice to hear that there’s going to be a MGS4 PS3 Bundle. I’m sure its gonna help move lots of consoles now, especially with the price point. Awesome too hear the release date for DualShock 3, I’ll be one of the people to pick the controller up on release. I like the black controllers, the white one’s don’t appeal to me, but if they released the silver ones I’ll be purchasing them also.
And I’m glad that Sony announced that there will be a MGO Beta in April, if you pre-order the game.

+ CrimsonCalibur on February 26th, 2008 at 12:36 pm said:

What an incredible slew of announcements!!

That GOW PSP is amazing. I will definitely have to get that. And a really good move on a MGS4 bundle. Very smart indeed.

One question, will the PS3 in the bundle have an MGS skin? or an exclusive new color?

+ Gorvi on February 26th, 2008 at 12:37 pm said:

Very cool to see, though I already own both systems. But it’s very nice to see MGS4 coming in June.

Is there any reason why the PSP pack doesn’t come with a memory stick? That’s really the only thing it’s missing.

+ superbone547 on February 26th, 2008 at 12:37 pm said:

could some light be shed onthe details of the MGS4 beta? where do we have to predorder? any special process that we must go throught to verify our preorder? what about those of us that have already preordered? anything along those lines would be greatly appreciated.

but man, this is awsome news no matter the details!

+ tagout on February 26th, 2008 at 12:40 pm said:

Omg…finally. Great bundles!! Kudos to Sony!

PAGE 1 2 3 5