PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Destination PlayStation News: MGS PS3 Bundle, Kratos PSP and DualShock3 Release Date

Al De Leon's Avatar + Posted by Al De Leon on Feb 26, 2008 // Sr. PR Manager, SCEA

Not every video game event is a press and party extravaganza (like last week’s GDC). As a gamer, you may not have heard of Destination PlayStation – a meeting between Sony PlayStation, retailers, and 3rd party teams taking place right now in Arizona. But the discussions at DPS are generally pretty significant. Here’s what’s being announced RIGHT NOW.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 Bundle
To coincide with the much-anticipated North American launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots in late Q2 2008, SCEA will introduce a PS3 bundle, which will include an 80GB PS3, the upcoming blockbuster Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, and a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for $499.99 (MSRP).

As has been announced previously, MGS4 will include a Metal Gear Online “Starter Pack.” If you can’t wait to try out MGS4, the good news is you don’t have to much longer. Those who pre-order the game will be guaranteed access to a multiplayer beta test for Metal Gear Online scheduled for late April.

GoW PSP Back LoRes

God of War PSP Entertainment Pack
In June, a new PSP Entertainment Pack will be hitting stores, featuring the famous face of the Ghost of Sparta — Kratos. Here’s what you get in the bundle, which will be available for $199.99 (MSRP):

God of War: Chains of Olympus still arrives for PSP on March 4, 2008.

GoW PSP Front LoRes

DUALSHOCK 3
The final piece of big news coming out of DPS is another much-requested release date: SCEA will introduce the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for the first time in North America in April 2008 for $54.99 (MSRP). Compatible with more than 100 PS3 games, DUALSHOCK 3 has both rumble and motion-sending SIXAXIS technologies. So now you’ll be able to play Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and, yes, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots with rumble turned ON.

248 Comments

+ kagenish on February 26th, 2008 at 12:41 pm said:

im going to get that psp pack it looks awsome. pluse im going to pre0order MGS4 so i can get into the beta test.

+ kagenish on February 26th, 2008 at 12:42 pm said:

im going to get that psp pack it looks awsome. pluse im going to pre-order MGS4 so i can get into the beta test.

+ Guy Legend on February 26th, 2008 at 12:42 pm said:

Can someone confirm that this 80gb will come with its premium features: backwards compatibility, card readers, 4 usb, etc.

Also, will there be any 80gb systems on the shelf before June or is it just the 40gb system till then.

+ Aerfox on February 26th, 2008 at 12:43 pm said:

@49

So far the only details that kotaku says, is just pre-order nothing else has been said.

+ erico316 on February 26th, 2008 at 12:49 pm said:

First i want to say yes yes yes great news .Second this doesn’t affect me because i been one of the loyal Playstation who pick up the Playstation 3 on the lauch day and i haven’t regraded its for one day best system out by far and this is coming from one who own all 3.Now this is where the main thing i want to know and please answer me back i have already preorder metal gear solid 4 2 months ago so my question is the beta for those who preorder after releasing this info or will i be able to get in.Also how do i get into the beta if i am able to please answer back.

+ JBPlay3 on February 26th, 2008 at 12:50 pm said:

This is awesome news I might have to buy another ps3 in June. Can’t wait for the beta of MGS Online.

+ Youlikeyams on February 26th, 2008 at 12:51 pm said:

None of this in Europe then, no?

+ cmargary on February 26th, 2008 at 12:55 pm said:

About the psp with kratos.. maybe is just that I don’t like the psp in another color beside white and black but don’t like it…

@43
yes… nothing is better when all match up…

@33
thanks for the pics.. I never saw those

+ tagout on February 26th, 2008 at 12:59 pm said:

@Al De Leon

Will the PS3 have Snake’s face just like EGM cover? It would be the one reason for me to get the MGS PS3 bundle.

Just my two cents, Crimson PSP > Deep Red PSP. But, I’ll still buy it!

Please answer.

+ Demayor on February 26th, 2008 at 12:59 pm said:

Wow finally a timeline for those anticipated items. Thanks!

+ cmargary on February 26th, 2008 at 12:59 pm said:

Time to preorder my MGS4 then lol… until when I can preorder and access the beta? and where exact site I have to prorder?

@43
yes… nothing is better when all match up…

@33
thanks for the pics.. I never saw those

+ rsx3.2 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:00 pm said:

Just wondering will the BETA WORK IN CANADA???? It states north American release so i assume so. Could you clarify that?

+ Se7enwolf on February 26th, 2008 at 1:07 pm said:

If you already pre-ordered Metal Gear Solid 4 a couple weeks ago at gamestop, does that count for the beta testing?

+ rAdIOhEaD73 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:08 pm said:

Can you elaborate on the pre-order of MGS4? Will this be at certain locations only, does this include Canada or is only USA?, please reply, thank you!

+ nmc75 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:09 pm said:

re: #4)

Thanks Al for the response. This bundle is a very good deal in my opinion.. DS3 + MGS4 and a PS2 backwards compatible PS3. (oh yeah, it plays Blu-ray movies too)

I already have a DS3 and a 60gb. I would absolutely buy this in a heartbeat if I didn’t already have a PS3.

+ Kenjisan on February 26th, 2008 at 1:12 pm said:

Just three questions =)

1)The 80GB model is out stock in most stores right now and it seems like Sony planned to discontinue it but changed idea because of demand.
Are you planning to make it widely available again soon (March)?

2)If the 80GB will be back soon, are you going to change the SKU in the meantime this MGS4 bundle comes out?
Because of course a Motostorm bundle with a Sixaxis is less value than a MGS4 bundle with Dual Shock for the same price,so many people could decide to not buy the 80GB SKU until the bundle comes out in June.

3)Any word on the Ceramic White 40GB?

Many thanks (if someone reply to me).

+ Mort on February 26th, 2008 at 1:15 pm said:

Wow! Sony, you really do have your act together. I have 2 PSP’s now, and I am seriously considering getting the GOW pack!!

This is why you guys are kicking backside and taking names in the last few months. Great job

One thing I would say is that the PSP pack should include the wrist strap and soft case. I bought the Daxter pack recently, and it wasn’t included. It would be a shame to have such an awesome pack, and not include these items that probably only cost you a few cents each.

+ mvmartinet on February 26th, 2008 at 1:16 pm said:

Since you said

“adeleon replied on February 26, 2008 at 12:44 pm
adeleon’s Avatar

Yes, similar to the Motorstorm bundle, the new MGS4 bundle features an 80GB PS3 with some PS2 backwards compatibility.”

Will this PS3 also have the SACD support the older 60 & 80GB models had? It would be nice to keep this functionality.

+ sascha23 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:23 pm said:

I recommend everyone wait until Sony and Konami announce the pre-order process. Although,

I’m sure people who have already pre-ordered will be able to access the beta.

We should have solid info from sites like Gamestop and Amazon in the coming weeks.

+ tearsofash on February 26th, 2008 at 1:28 pm said:

Hopefully they won’t force us to preorder it at GameStop like they did with Patapon, at the very least. Gamestop isn’t the only place that does pre-orders, nor are they the only place that gives out prebook items with a preorder. I know that Game Crazy and Best Buy do preorders and prebook googies.

+ PolishPride212 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:30 pm said:

Is it possible to get into the beta without preordering the game? Like a random drawing or GAP members.

+ jason9 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:31 pm said:

SWEET!! Can’t wait for MGS4 BETA and DualShock3

+ AckeheceKoheo on February 26th, 2008 at 1:32 pm said:

@ reply 11

you say North America?
do you mean all of it (Canada and Mexico) or just the Continental United States?

+ Jew-Magic on February 26th, 2008 at 1:33 pm said:

Where can I preorder MGS4 to get into the beta? ANy EBgames, gamestops, ect?

+ diablo103 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:34 pm said:

its no Home or in-game XMB but it wil have 2 do

+ TwoBlack4America on February 26th, 2008 at 1:35 pm said:

Awesome! I’m definitely buying the God of War PSP when it comes out.

+ stew122 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:39 pm said:

any idea of what MGS 4 will be rated

M or T jus cuz if this bundle is probly intended for a wide audience im wonderin if an M title will be apropriate but ur bundlin superbad with the psp wo i guess its not really an issue :P

+ theShah on February 26th, 2008 at 1:39 pm said:

thats so awesome

+ coolguy2000 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:39 pm said:

I got to hand it to Sony, they are really elevating their game.

+ Stoffinator on February 26th, 2008 at 1:40 pm said:

That is one ugly PSP system. But glad to hear MGS4 is finally coming out.

+ OrganicShadow on February 26th, 2008 at 1:40 pm said:

Awww, no comment on white DS3′s huh? :P

S’okay. I’ll break out some white nail polish or something! :)

+ Frazz on February 26th, 2008 at 1:43 pm said:

Finally!!!!! some good news thank you for the updates

+ P_tear_griffin on February 26th, 2008 at 1:44 pm said:

Are the Beta testing days set? with graduate school and practicum I don’t know if I should pre-order and reserve a spot. Oh, I’m tempted to get the GOW PSP bundle but 1) I already own a PSPfat and can’t wait until june when GOW:CoO comes out next week

+ martialfart on February 26th, 2008 at 1:45 pm said:

Hopefully with the return of the 80 gig, the disk read error problems will be fixed. An updated failure rate would be very interesting.

+ scorpio on February 26th, 2008 at 1:46 pm said:

Great news!!!

+ Toast on February 26th, 2008 at 1:47 pm said:

107 more days til my life goes on hold ^.^

great news all around, almost makes me wish I would have waited for the red psp, but i need me my crisis core next month

+ Ghostm on February 26th, 2008 at 1:48 pm said:

This is good news. The sad thing is, I’ve been waiting for DS3 controllers for so long now. I’m not even excited anymore. We still have to wait for another month and a half. More waiting games right Sony?
Wait for GT5 and DS3 in April. Wait some more for MGS4 in June. Keep on waiting some more and we might even get Home before 2009. Wait even longer and we’ll see LBP.
Im pretty tired of waiting to be honest. Sony does not excite me anymore.

By the way, great move getting rid of your best asset. “Phil Harrison”
I don’t see anyone resigning their position after being at a company for 15 years. LOL
I love how the corporate world sugarcoat a situation by saying someone is resigning. I smell a lie!
Phil was super awesome! Not to mention, he was extremely passionate about the PS brand. That’s your 2008 biggest lost!!!

Wouldn’t it have been much better to announce these announcements last week at GDC? Specially with all the press there to build huge positive buzz? Now its looking like some after thought since there’s not a single megaton news about Sony at GDC.

Thanks for the somewhat good news!!!

+ subbed on February 26th, 2008 at 1:49 pm said:

This along with the other info about the store revamp and remote play on Bionic commando rearmed is just great!

+ Baki on February 26th, 2008 at 1:49 pm said:

Is there any plans to do anything similar in Europe?

+ Guljigit92 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:51 pm said:

Great but what about the mgs4 pack with MGonline and a free book?

+ SolidSnake500 on February 26th, 2008 at 1:51 pm said:

I recently imported a pair of DS3′s from play-asia.com and while I’m happy with them, I feel as though they pack less of a punch than the DS2′s.

Will the release in NA pack more of a potent rumble or am I the only one who feels they’d like more shake with their roll?

+ THATPSPGUY on February 26th, 2008 at 2:00 pm said:

Ooooooh another PSP I MUST BUY. will be saving ma bud money to pay for this. That will make me have 3 psp’s again.(gave 2 away as Birthday Presents), phat, darth vader slim and now this. W00t F’ing W00t!! This is a good blog post. Finally one really deserving of a good comment from me. This almost but not quite makes up for the two you know what’s that we are waiting to hear about. Keep it like this guys. EXCITING! Now if only something REALLY AWESOME could happen this Thursday…..

+ Koneesha on February 26th, 2008 at 2:00 pm said:

I was just wondering. Is the Star Wars Psp pretty much done. Cause i would like one, but all the stores in my area don’t have them. They also say they aren’t getting any in. And on the websites it just says limited avaliblty. So please help me out here.

+ enrichovega on February 26th, 2008 at 2:01 pm said:

MGS4+DS3+PS3 = INSTANT TAKEOVER!!!

Congrats Sony. Now reclaim your rightful seat on the console throne.

+ Cerberus_Hunter on February 26th, 2008 at 2:01 pm said:

Finally….. THANK YOU!

+ darkiewonder on February 26th, 2008 at 2:05 pm said:

awesome news. Will you guys be giving away some bundles for a contest?

OH btw. Has the PSN CARDS even been made and out in stores or is that still in the works?

+ bunnyhero on February 26th, 2008 at 2:07 pm said:

this. is. HUGE!

+ mikew on February 26th, 2008 at 2:10 pm said:

can you guys let me know where exactly do i pre-order the game will guaranteed a spot for MGO? Any retail store in my area ? (bestbuy ?)
Thank you.

+ Slizer on February 26th, 2008 at 2:11 pm said:

If I pre-order MGS4 in the US, do I get the Beta too?

PS: Im from Eu.

+ Hummer3man on February 26th, 2008 at 2:12 pm said:

Nice!!! cant wait to buy DS3!!

Any news on PSN Cards and PLAYSTATION HOME???