PS4 - Transistor

Destination PlayStation News: MGS PS3 Bundle, Kratos PSP and DualShock3 Release Date

Al De Leon's Avatar + Posted by Al De Leon on Feb 26, 2008 // Sr. PR Manager, SCEA

Not every video game event is a press and party extravaganza (like last week’s GDC). As a gamer, you may not have heard of Destination PlayStation – a meeting between Sony PlayStation, retailers, and 3rd party teams taking place right now in Arizona. But the discussions at DPS are generally pretty significant. Here’s what’s being announced RIGHT NOW.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 Bundle
To coincide with the much-anticipated North American launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots in late Q2 2008, SCEA will introduce a PS3 bundle, which will include an 80GB PS3, the upcoming blockbuster Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, and a DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for $499.99 (MSRP).

As has been announced previously, MGS4 will include a Metal Gear Online “Starter Pack.” If you can’t wait to try out MGS4, the good news is you don’t have to much longer. Those who pre-order the game will be guaranteed access to a multiplayer beta test for Metal Gear Online scheduled for late April.

GoW PSP Back LoRes

God of War PSP Entertainment Pack
In June, a new PSP Entertainment Pack will be hitting stores, featuring the famous face of the Ghost of Sparta — Kratos. Here’s what you get in the bundle, which will be available for $199.99 (MSRP):

God of War: Chains of Olympus still arrives for PSP on March 4, 2008.

GoW PSP Front LoRes

DUALSHOCK 3
The final piece of big news coming out of DPS is another much-requested release date: SCEA will introduce the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for the first time in North America in April 2008 for $54.99 (MSRP). Compatible with more than 100 PS3 games, DUALSHOCK 3 has both rumble and motion-sending SIXAXIS technologies. So now you’ll be able to play Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and, yes, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots with rumble turned ON.

248 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5

+ Bender Rodriguez on February 27th, 2008 at 10:51 am said:

Holy smokes 55 dollars for a controller! It’s darn good thing I don’t care about Rumble. That’s ridiculous.

+ Zorox on February 27th, 2008 at 11:10 am said:

Man the controller is almost as much as a game. Geez, it’s like fans are always getting screwed over.

+ Gregero on February 27th, 2008 at 11:31 am said:

That is a nasty price for the DS3. As for the Red PSP, I’ll have to not pick up CoO this March and will wait till June to get my hands on that awesome pack. MGS4 is of course a must buy many days before it hits.

+ BlitzXor on February 27th, 2008 at 12:37 pm said:

I don’t see what the big deal about the controller price is…

Wireless is standard.
Rechargable battery is standard.
Rumble is standard.

It is good value for money imho.

+ ACE72 on February 27th, 2008 at 12:53 pm said:

Zorox,

Keep in mind the controller is same cost of that Sixaxis so how can that any different?

+ awheaten on February 27th, 2008 at 12:57 pm said:

Hey Sony, want to sell the most consoles ever, get the Metal Gear SKU down to 299 with all the current 399 functionalities. That thing will roll off shelves like hotcakes. It will go down in history as the most console sold in one year.

Just a thought…

+ gravija on February 27th, 2008 at 1:26 pm said:

yay fer ds3 in the us finally, i had one imported and have been using it fer aa few months now ( since november ) and i love it. LOL the weight is just right to me and the rumble was sorely missed. Im glad it was returned to us without any kind of sacrifice, even tho mine is white and not piano black. n.n

+ SolidH22 on February 27th, 2008 at 1:39 pm said:

Can you please let us know where the MGO pre-order offer applies to. I have a pre-order with gamestop, would this count?

If not let us know where to pre-order so that we can get a beta key/pass.

+ nk88 on February 27th, 2008 at 2:39 pm said:

Does the pre-order BETA TEST apply to Canada or is it U.S. exclusive. Also what stores does the pre-order offer apply to?

+ deadxbabiesxinc on February 27th, 2008 at 2:40 pm said:

I don’t understand how MGS4 Bundle pack is the most exciting news…come on! We KNEW that was gonna happen! But a GoW PSP Bundle…who would’ve known about that? And the DS3? We knew it was coming out soon…just not exactly when, price was pretty much a given considering the sixaxis is still $50, or atleast the multiplayer beta testing is news. but the MGS4 bundle…meh

+ AMR-1 on February 27th, 2008 at 2:47 pm said:

How long till the Blu PSP comes out????

+ godofwar3 on February 27th, 2008 at 3:04 pm said:

Will a gamestop reservation do?

+ Dew87 on February 27th, 2008 at 3:44 pm said:

I don’t know if you guys read all these comments, but I will say this anyway.

As a European, I sincerely hope that you will announce and release these products in the European territory around the same time as North America.

We Europeans continue to support the Playstation brand throughout its most difficult times, despite its struggles elsewhere.

I hope you understand the frustration we have to go through with delays, if we are lucky, and feel neglected as a result.

I realise that much of it has to do with complications with localisation, distribution, etc. I perfectly understand. I only ask that you do your best to reward this region for its continued loyalty through the very opportunity that we get to buy these great products from you in a timely manner.

Yours sincerely,

Dew

+ cmargary on February 27th, 2008 at 4:40 pm said:

@Dew87

Which product? if is the DS3 will release at the same time as NA or if is MGS4 will come at the same time too… the bundle I don’t know lol…

+ lakaihigh on February 27th, 2008 at 5:08 pm said:

@ cmargary – he’s probably talking about the MGS4 bundle and the GoW bundle. are you drunk?

+ pdias_92 on February 27th, 2008 at 5:33 pm said:

That new MGS4 PS3 Bundle is such a deal. Its going to sell like popcorn and cotton candy at a carnival.
Cmon … Home , In-Game XMB, MGS4, Haze, LBP, Tekken 6, FF13, Eight Days, The Getaway, The Agency, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, White Knight, New Twisted Metal, Motorstorm 2, Heavenly Sword 2 and more … WOW
Im going to be poor when this year ends

PS- Already got a 80GB PS3 with Motorstorm, which is a good to come bundled with but MGS4 is way better.

+ packy17 on February 27th, 2008 at 6:38 pm said:

how will the MGO beta be distributed? And which retailers are participating in this? I’m holding off on preordering until I know how this is going to work…

+ washy on February 27th, 2008 at 8:17 pm said:

Great MGS4 bundle, with format war over this is going to rock
Please Please Please SONY
1. Keep avail in Black
2. IR reciever on box, dont need to include new remote or anything, just make it so that those of us who have spent $$$ on universal remotes can USE THEM
3. Firmware support for DTS-MA (bitstream is fine if not on-board)
Thanks

+ rccola80 on February 27th, 2008 at 9:02 pm said:

alright this is all great news…but what of the 120gb rumors does this mean no ps3 large drive model until late April or May. I have been waiting to buy the system since one hasn’t been available. No Dual shock until far into the year…haven’t these been oversea’s for a long time. I feel like the company has great plans but leaves a need in the current market. I may have to get an Xbox360 to hold me over if nothing is out soon.

+ IceCold on February 27th, 2008 at 10:38 pm said:

it woudlnt make too much sense to increase production cost jsut to add a larger hdd when you can easliy do it yourself.

+ DankandSticky on February 28th, 2008 at 1:48 am said:

I think this is stupid to make the kratos PSP come out months after the game, idiots, I would buy that to get the game but not months after!!!!

+ efenili on February 28th, 2008 at 11:20 am said:

Damn, I wish on got in on that Bundle…but I have enjoyed my PS3 for some time now

+ parabolee on February 28th, 2008 at 1:13 pm said:

Ok someone REALLY needs to clarify this pre-order situation!

How do we receive our authorization to enter the Beta when we pre-order!

Especially those of us that have already pre-ordered?

Will stores like Gamestop hand you a Beta key when they receive them?

Like 50 people have asked this now, SOMEONE NEEDS TO ANSWER US!

+ dudethisrocks on February 29th, 2008 at 1:18 pm said:

When will i be able to Pre-Order the MGS4 PS3 Bundle package? Could i go to Gamestop now and do it?

+ bobtheduck on February 29th, 2008 at 1:47 pm said:

@201 Bender Rodriguez: Well, that’s cheaper than the wii-mote + Nunchuck… It’s new, it’ll come down in price in a year to a more manageable price.

+ wallhugger on February 29th, 2008 at 4:05 pm said:

is there a way to import the bundle to Europe? since they kicked BC out of our systems and I really want a ps3 with BC

+ coalman987 on February 29th, 2008 at 4:29 pm said:

So is they MGS4 PS3 package going to be limited edition or will it be sort of the replacement to the motorstorm bundle???

+ DMeisterJ on February 29th, 2008 at 5:28 pm said:

Too much exciting news for one day.

+ TheSlayerIsBack on March 1st, 2008 at 11:27 am said:

This is Great News

+ terminatorvsmtrx on March 1st, 2008 at 4:35 pm said:

this is freakin awesome news.. i already have twi ds3′s i ordered them from japan at launch, but the kratos psp is an awesome idea.. i was up on the fence about buying a psp before but now im definitely getting one

+ boozer11 on March 1st, 2008 at 5:35 pm said:

Now I have another reason to get a new PSP. For 1 mine got stolen. 2 this Gow PSP looks freakin sweet.

+ soup or man on March 1st, 2008 at 6:27 pm said:

Man, that God of War PSP is sexy. Too bad I just upgraded to a slim. I’m really happy about the MGS4 bundle. Looks like this is the package I’ve been holding out for. PS3 here I come!

+ Chrislo90 on March 2nd, 2008 at 12:55 pm said:

Hey Al De Leon, I have a queston. Can you clarify if the MGS4 Bundle will have a preorder program, not just the game itself. Or will it be a first-come first-serve, basis. It would be great if it would be preorderable because the game itself has one, and buble includes. Thanks!!!

+ Chrislo90 on March 2nd, 2008 at 12:58 pm said:

Sorry for the grammar, but I d really like to know. Also, if there is, do you know if like Best Buy, Gamestop, etc. will carry such program?Sorry for being so inquisitive

+ NINgod on March 2nd, 2008 at 3:08 pm said:

what store do you have to preorder it from?

+ TrifleBlade on March 2nd, 2008 at 4:10 pm said:

So when does the bundle come out? And how long will it be out? (The bundle for the ps3.)

+ jpzsports on March 2nd, 2008 at 7:03 pm said:

Make the PS3 web browser better!!!!

+ ALVEZ1 on March 2nd, 2008 at 9:34 pm said:

When are those PlaystationCards coming out???????They said they would be out early this year…..Every time I go to Gamestop they dont have them.

+ TrifleBlade on March 3rd, 2008 at 7:54 am said:

The PS3 outta come with an HDMI cable,because for 499.99, it comes with composite, or atleast with composite component so it could show PS3 full HD. And, will this PS3 bundle come out when MGS4 does, the same day?

+ maluraq on March 5th, 2008 at 8:25 am said:

Shipping an HDMI cable with the PS3 when most people at the time of launch didn’t have TVs with HDMI capability. Also, HDMI cables have different specs depending on how far you want to run it. Personally, I prefer that all but basic cables not be included, I’d rather not pay the premium for a cable I won’t use when I’m just going to go out and buy another one to replace it anyway (like the crappy component cable that came with my DVD player ages ago).

+ LeoDaLyon on March 9th, 2008 at 8:52 am said:

How can we pre-order the MGS4 PS3 Bundle?

+ krissttoffer on March 10th, 2008 at 9:03 am said:

How come Sony doesn`t care of us in europe. We get everything last, IF… we get it at all. This 80GB pack is one exampel of many.

+ the cost of freedom on March 10th, 2008 at 7:15 pm said:

Ah the Ps3 , the runt of the litter , the underdog and comeback kid hopefull. This is a sweet bundle ya got here and the return of rumble officialy , priceless!MGS4′S gonna be tight. But wait , still the same old dual shock chassis , c’mon sony show some more creative juice.This is your third system and still the same retrograde chassis , F+. Also you need to incorporate more motion sensing , Eyetoy or both into more of your games , even the multiplats (give them a sony essence) , alot of people don’t even know ps3 has motion sensing and think it’s heresy to think the wiimote isn’t the only one . This would be highly interactive and totally own. This is the next gen right? See you when the war is over.

+ tylerkerr on March 11th, 2008 at 11:55 am said:

can i like buy the bundle then return the game and get some money for it because i dont want the game just the system

+ paradoc on March 12th, 2008 at 6:23 pm said:

do u guys know if the mgs4 ps3 will a picture of solid snake on it? i saw the bow that the bundle will come in and it had snake on the ps3.

+ SDkngsht on March 14th, 2008 at 1:27 am said:

the red looks cool. could of been darker. OR…you could’ve had one that looked like it was covered in ashes (like Kratos’ skin) and then the same silkscreen on the back but just his red stripe be red.

same would look cool on a black or white psp. i want the bundle though. hopefully the red is darker in person.

+ Guibs on March 18th, 2008 at 2:15 pm said:

Well since the format war ended a few weeks ago, I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a blu-ray player. Since the PS3 is the cheaper player (and futureproof) available right now, I’ve been considering getting one.

This bundle may just have sold the deal for me. For the same price as the current 80GB bundle (if you can find one in Canada), I get MGS4 (far superior game then motorom (SP?)) and a DS3 controller.

Never thought I’d buy another sony console (current happy Xbox 360 owner) but the blu-ray player is too nice and well, I’ll get to play some of the PS3 exclusifs.

PAGE 1 3 4 5