PS4-The Order

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots FAQ

Michael Shelling's Avatar + Posted by Michael Shelling on Feb 28, 2008 // Senior PR Manager, Sony Online Entertainment

Following this week’s announcements regarding Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on the PLAYSTATION 3, a lot of questions popped up in the comments area of the PlayStation.Blog. We put together this FAQ to address your concerns:

Q: When is the game shipping to retail?
A: The game is scheduled to arrive at retail stores in North America on June 12, 2008.

Q: What’s in the Metal Gear Online Starter Pack?
A: The Metal Gear Online Starter Pack, included with Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, is a squad-based, online multiplayer tactical shooter that supports up to 16 players and takes place in the Metal Gear Solid universe.

Q: When is the Metal Gear Online multiplayer beta test?
A: The Metal Gear Online multiplayer beta test is scheduled to begin on April 21, 2008.

Q: How long will the Metal Gear Online beta test run?
A: The Metal Gear Online multiplayer beta test will run for approximately 2 weeks

Q: Where can I get the pre-sell?
A: The pre-sell program will be available nationwide at all major retailers.

Q: Is there a time frame for the pre-order to gain access to the beta? When does the pre-order period begin?
A: The pre-order will begin April 2008. Check with your local retailer on availability.

Q: Is there any special process that consumers must go through to verify their participation in the beta?
A: When the pre-order program begins in April 2008, consumers who pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will receive the Metal Gear Saga 2.0 DVD, containing a Prologue that recaps the Metal Gear franchise, a 20th Anniversary retrospective, character bios for Big Boss, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, and Solid Snake, plus a collection of international trailers of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. This pre-order package also contains an insert with a download code and special instructions for accessing the Metal Gear Online beta test when it goes live in late April.

Q: How many people will be allowed to participate in the Metal Gear Online beta test?
A: The special Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots pre-order package (which includes the insert with the Metal Gear Online download code) will only be available while supplies last.

Q: How do consumers who have already pre-ordered participate in the beta?
A: Consumers will need to contact their local retailer for more information.

Q: Will consumers who don’t pre-order have any chance to join the beta?
A: If additional promotional partners are secured, there is a possibility of making beta access available, but nothing is confirmed at this time.

135 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Uraeus on February 28th, 2008 at 3:08 pm said:

You forgot the most important question. Why can’t we get the MGS PS3 here in Europe. I am sure a lot of people here would love to buy a 80GB, PS2 compatible MGS branded box here in Europe.

+ Joakim Hagdahl on February 28th, 2008 at 3:09 pm said:

Any plans on doing this for Europe and Australia/New Zeeland?

+ Joakim Hagdahl on February 28th, 2008 at 3:10 pm said:

*That should be Zealand :)

+ TheSketcher1 on February 28th, 2008 at 3:10 pm said:

thanks for that, very helpful,one more Q’s
Is the beta in europe to?plz god be in europe.

+ subbed on February 28th, 2008 at 3:11 pm said:

Thanks for the break down in how it will play out. Can’t wait i got my copy pre-ordered already! Does it need to be paid in full? Just curious because pre-sell sounds like you’d have to have paid 60$ plus tax. Thanks for the feedback.

+ darkiewonder on February 28th, 2008 at 3:12 pm said:

awesome. I didn’t really want to preorder just yet just in case so when april rolls by i’ll go pay in full for the game then!

Will the US get different edition to the game? [E.G. Normal, Collectors, Limited, Special]

+ nmc75 on February 28th, 2008 at 3:13 pm said:

I really hope my Gamestop will honor my pre-order as qualified for the Beta. I pre-ordered MGS4 as soon as it became available on their system.

+ iNagib on February 28th, 2008 at 3:14 pm said:

I can’t wait! Will the pre-order package also be available in Canada?

+ EnigmaOppanax on February 28th, 2008 at 3:15 pm said:

Number One Reason for buying a PS3.

I cant wait, its getting soooo close.

This makes up for the lame PSN update this week.

+ SSJNeBiRoS on February 28th, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

And what about the rest of the world??

+ RandomEarthling on February 28th, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

Quick question, how long will the beta last? There’s almost 2 months between the start and the on sale date? Let us know if you can. Thanks!

+ frito on February 28th, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

WOW! This is great!

This game is going to bring our PS3 community closer than it has been yet! This and Home will cement the PS3 as a bonafide must have system.

Hopefully this game sells a million on day one!

ONE QUESTION!

Any customizable skins or goofy costumes available for MGS4online?

I know it would make us get killed easier, but it’s always fun to be something wacky every know and then!

I say a Psycho Mantis skin for multiplayer!

cheers!

+ Crimson_Ryan on February 28th, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

Crap. Gotta cancel my current pre-order so I can snag it all.

+ Daver on February 28th, 2008 at 3:17 pm said:

Very good news! i hope i can put my hand on one of those beta test :) its working in Canada too right?

+ sascha23 on February 28th, 2008 at 3:20 pm said:

I think it’s a safe bet that any Gamestop pre-orders put in prior to the promotion can qualify. Otherwise, you could simply get your money back and pre-order again. I highly doubt Gamestop would want to go through the trouble.

You would most likely just go in April to pick up the DVD for your existing order. They have done that in the past for other titles.

+ Cagalli on February 28th, 2008 at 3:22 pm said:

Thanks.

+ Ultima-Bahamut on February 28th, 2008 at 3:23 pm said:

Metal Gear Saga 2.0 DVD sounds awesome!

+ kagenish on February 28th, 2008 at 3:23 pm said:

thanks for the info about the pre-orders.

+ Volvi on February 28th, 2008 at 3:24 pm said:

LOL @ the first 4 comments being all from people outside the US… I very much doubt we’ll get the beta… then again, it’s looking unlikely we’ll ever get Pain or Rock Band at this rate :)

+ Violater on February 28th, 2008 at 3:24 pm said:

The essential Pack and this will be MINE.
So all of you keep your mits off

+ KatanaKing on February 28th, 2008 at 3:31 pm said:

Quality games and QUALITY PSN content, that is what we need, at the moment lacking in both….

+ Netweb on February 28th, 2008 at 3:34 pm said:

We… Europe/Portugal can test the game too?

+ VenomX on February 28th, 2008 at 3:35 pm said:

I’m pumped for this game. It’s going to kick ass.

+ Delriach on February 28th, 2008 at 3:36 pm said:

I can’t wait. I get chills thinking about this game. :)

+ Goodfella2487 on February 28th, 2008 at 3:37 pm said:

Hey Europeans, this is the UNITED STATES Playstation Blog. Stop asking EU related questions, kapeesh?

+ Ric_Flair on February 28th, 2008 at 3:39 pm said:

I wish there was MGS4 on PS.com. Send the web guys some trailers or screens so we can all cheggit out!

+ Jenovah on February 28th, 2008 at 3:40 pm said:

Sweet, Can’t wait to drop my pre-order down :D

+ xberserker on February 28th, 2008 at 3:42 pm said:

Thanks for the info! I had mine pre-ordered at EB Games, hopefully they are part of the “pre-sell program”.

+ KnaveX on February 28th, 2008 at 3:50 pm said:

Great I just marke my $5 bill that says Beta money! teehee

+ gardea on February 28th, 2008 at 3:51 pm said:

Pre-ordering in April!

+ Eclipze_ on February 28th, 2008 at 3:56 pm said:

lol I feel kind of scared now, I want to be one of the ones to get that disk with the code on it (plus me AND my brother are going to pre-order it, so there has to be two). I hope no one around my area knows about it because on april first I will be in that store pre-ordering my pass to metal gear online ^_^.

+ Darkjad on February 28th, 2008 at 3:56 pm said:

What about Canada? Or people who have already preordered?

+ PSPMAN07 on February 28th, 2008 at 3:57 pm said:

THANK YOU, so much Micheal Shelling, we fans finally know the time frame and the quantity (We now know that everyone doesn’t get in as the first announcement let on). Please come back to the Blog again with news you may have, this is great stuff :)

+ Moe on February 28th, 2008 at 3:59 pm said:

If I order through Amazon will I still be able to participate in the MGSO beta?

+ marcandrer on February 28th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

@31

Canada is part of North America and ppl who already preordered needs to contact their retailers for details.

+ PSPMAN07 on February 28th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

@ 31

Canada is apart of NA so yes, you’ll can pre order and get beta

As far as if you pre-order, I think its up to the decrepancy of the company you pre-order with if they will honor you and give you the package. You may want to check up on that, you may have to cancel and then come back in April and pre-order, as I doubt most will be willing to honor pre-orders before April.

+ PSPMAN07 on February 28th, 2008 at 4:04 pm said:

@ Micheal Shelling, if you are still here, just one question. Though it maybe obvious just for the sake of not being surprised come pre-order time do we have to put down a certain amount, or will just the pre-order be enough?

+ tagout on February 28th, 2008 at 4:11 pm said:

@ Michael Shelling

Questions for you:
*How much will the pre-order cost?
*Will the BETA have any final changes to MGO?
*If so, how will we send bugs and glitches info to Konami?

+ xT3RMlNATORx on February 28th, 2008 at 4:12 pm said:

Man, I hope I don’t lose out on the beta, seeing as I’ve already preordered my copy. Hopefully I didn’t preorder this TOO early!

+ Darkjad on February 28th, 2008 at 4:19 pm said:

“Canada is apart of NA so yes, you’ll can pre order and get beta”

The reason I wanted confirmation of this is that according to my local EB games, it is “United States” only. Note how the FAQ says “A: The pre-sell program will be available nationwide at all major retailers.”. NATION.

+ Slave.of.Tommy on February 28th, 2008 at 4:26 pm said:

Europe?!

K, thx.

+ Zaku on February 28th, 2008 at 4:35 pm said:

Thank you for clearing some things up. I look forward to June and I’ll be preordering probably mid-March.

+ TheManGone on February 28th, 2008 at 4:42 pm said:

will pre order mine in april.

+ diablo103 on February 28th, 2008 at 4:42 pm said:

now this is a good post

+ Jeigh on February 28th, 2008 at 4:45 pm said:

I wonder if I can pre-order the pre-order Beta kit… XD

+ tagout on February 28th, 2008 at 4:46 pm said:

Still no replies..?

+ WHAT on February 28th, 2008 at 4:48 pm said:

PlayStation has become about one game. :(

+ SmogItUp on February 28th, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

Absolutely the most informative post I have ever seen on PSBlog! This answered all of my questions about the beta.

+ alba on February 28th, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

What about Europe betatest, still no infos on that? :(

+ P_tear_griffin on February 28th, 2008 at 5:01 pm said:

So if you pre-order you have a chance at the beta. Alos, if you pre-order you get added content like the MGS sga 2.0 right? Will, that extra content be available without pre-order.. at least for a limited time?

PAGE 1 2 3