PS4-Infamous

Firmware v2.20 bringing BD-Live to PS3

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Mar 20, 2008 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi again everyone. Here’s a quick preview of the next PLAYSTATION 3 system software update coming up in the next few days. Firmware v2.20, introduces a number of features to further enhance your PLAYSTATION 3 as the hub of your entertainment center.

Most notably, the update enables the PS3 to support Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0, also known as BD-Live. You can connect now to the Internet while playing discs that support BD-Live to obtain additional content and special features. These features vary from disc to disc, and will keep your BD discs fresh with new content and in some cases exclusive content only accessible to owners of BD-Live enabled discs. On April 8th Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release The 6th Day and Walk Hard on Blu-ray; these titles will be among the first to take advantage of BD-Live. With this update, the PLAYSTATION 3 becomes the first Blu-ray player on the market with BD-Live functionality.

Here are some of the other new features/enhancements that will be included in Firmware v2.20:

• The ability to copy PS3 Music and Photo playlists to a PSP system. We introduced the ability to create Music and Photo playlists on the PS3 in firmware update v2.0. Now you can easily export your playlists to your PSP.
  • You can now play DivX and WMV format files that are over 2 GB. In addition, you can now display subtitles when viewing DivX files.
  • Resume Play – begin playing a DVD or BD disc from the point where you previously stopped it, even if you eject the disc and insert a different movie or game.
  • Use your PSP as a remote control to play back your music files on your PS3 without turning on your TV.
  • The Internet browser now displays some web pages faster. In addition [Save Target] has been added as an option under file. This option lets you save a file that is linked to a web page to your PS3 hard drive or storage media.

There are a few other tweaks and upgrades included in v2.20 – we’ll provide more specifics as the update is about to go live.

380 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 8

+ Locster60 on March 20th, 2008 at 7:19 am said:

@Eric Lempel

How much faster is the browser going to work? Will it work as a true browser? So I don’t have to switch over to Yellow Dog Linux to surf the net? If you could give some more details on this part of the update I would appreciate it. Thanks

+ elmonstro on March 20th, 2008 at 7:26 am said:

@#5 briaeros007

What the heck are you talking about? I have like 250 H.264 MPEG-4s, (not all on the PS3′s hdd, some on and external hdd) and NONE of them have any problems playing on my PS3. In fact, the PS3 scales them hundreds of times better than if I hook my computer into the TV and play them that way. I actually purchased a professional video converter to convert all my WMVs and MOVs so I could play them on the PS3 (of course, WMVs can play natively now, but since a lot of trailers on the net are HD only in MOV, it still gets used a lot)

Stupid Xbot fanboy. I also always hear people complaining that the PS3 can’t play new DivX files. I downloaded the official DivX converter and an Xvid converter. None of the videos I converted had any trouble playing on the PS3.

Man, try things out yourself before complaining.. .

+ subbed on March 20th, 2008 at 7:26 am said:

I love this update! Yea I still of course want more including the XMB/Home but these features are great.

+ crazypenguin on March 20th, 2008 at 7:33 am said:

FUNtastic, can’t wait to download it!

+ Zta on March 20th, 2008 at 7:35 am said:

Great update, thanks! The resume play functions sounds great. I assume this means, that once you’ve reached the menu of a DVD/BD, you’ll never have to wait for those warnings again, but can continue play from the menu. Good thinking!

+ Federation on March 20th, 2008 at 7:35 am said:

Are we goinig to get a Date & Time on the PS3?

+ WHAT on March 20th, 2008 at 7:36 am said:

Awesome!
Can we please get a video demonstration like you have done before in other Firmware threads?

Eric Lempel's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 20th, 2008 at 8:32 am said:

Are you eavesdropping?

Hopefully tomorrow.

+ chachie on March 20th, 2008 at 7:37 am said:

so if it can play files larger than 2gb, does this mean the ps3 now supports ntfs drives?

+ nick2409 on March 20th, 2008 at 7:43 am said:

Great! I love you Sony :)))
Greetings from Austria!

+ Bartoman on March 20th, 2008 at 7:50 am said:

Nice, but still… I NEED Divx/Xvid subtitle support. it would be, like, incredible.

Still, the rest of the updates are awesome :D

+ TwinsDad on March 20th, 2008 at 7:57 am said:

Yea. another worthless update. Why not have waited for 2.20 to release instead of having 2.17 for one week.

Again, Sony, stop making the updates mandatory. If I don’t update then I can’t use my system as you said I could in the TOS. The one thing that sold me on the PS3 was the PSN, now I can’t use it because YOU BREAK IT.

I disabled my online for the PS3 and won’t be updating. I have zero, actually below zero, interest in Blu-Ray so I have no need for this update.

+ cylonhunter on March 20th, 2008 at 8:00 am said:

Well done sony i for 1 appreciate youre hard work but please please can we have DTS-MA PRETTY PLEASE.

+ Stoffinator on March 20th, 2008 at 8:06 am said:

Some great new features there thanks! Can’t wait to see some BD Live features.

+ Tigerriot on March 20th, 2008 at 8:07 am said:

Until in game XMB is added these updates look ridiculous to informed consumers.

+ RandomEarthling on March 20th, 2008 at 8:11 am said:

I JUST upgraded the PS3 to 2.17 and now you’re releasing 2.20??? I don’t know how ‘soon’ this update will be released but in the future, please have at least a couple months between updates.

In fact, that is my suggestion. Either have fewer (and more useful) updates or else make them much faster. I hate leaving the machine on, coming back 20 minutes later and seeing that it’s still downloading the patch.

+ Shuyin on March 20th, 2008 at 8:14 am said:

Would it be too much to ask to add a “Playlist” option for the Videos ? ^^
Thanks by advance if you read me.

+ thingg on March 20th, 2008 at 8:17 am said:

@114
I think you can already sort them by a custom folder name. Just hit “Triangle” on the vid icon and change the folder name to whatever you want.

+ dzpntll on March 20th, 2008 at 8:19 am said:

Mann thiis is some [DELETED] i spent 600 dollars on this [DELETED] console. and we can’t get a [DELETED] in-game xmb. i should have bought the xbox 360

+ mywhitenoise on March 20th, 2008 at 8:22 am said:

Besides the obvious in-game XMB/Soundtracks, here’s a list of suggestions that could make the firmware near perfect.

Add a ‘copy all’ and ‘copy multiple’ function to save files for PS1/2 virtual memory cards and ps3 games.
When transferring albums by mp3, all information is retained (artist, album, comments, track number), however when you transfer albums by AAC only the song title is retained. Is it possible to recognize AAC files the same way the PS3 does for mp3?
This has to do with the last suggestion, make an “edit all/multiple” function for music, photo, video, and game files. I spent so much time editing my AAC albums typing in the artist and album name over and over again for each file.
Make a more refined folder structure for the music (and I guess video, photo, and game) section. It would be nice to view folders by Artist, and then by Album folders.
Add the ability to sort files (specifically the games) in the order that you want them. I hate to mention the Wii, but sort of like how they do it, you can move the files in whatever order you want. For example, I have Superstardust HD in the middle of my folder, I’d like it near the top.
Add more color options for the XMB, the PSP has tons of color options.
Ability to transfer locked saves (what’s the point? Why can’t I back up my Loco Roco, or High Velocity Bowling save? If the network configuration is tied to my MAC address)
Have an option to automatically shut the controller off when idle for more than 3/5/10 minutes.
Disable the small menu (the one that tells you what the buttons do) thats on the bottom right when playing a movie in the XMB. I know it’s only for a brief 2 seconds, but it’s still a little annoying.
Make RGB Full Range the default for people who set up with HDMI. Too many assholes out there giving misguided comparisons between 360 games.
Add PSEye functionality to the music visulaizer, something like Mesmerize would be really cool.
Play videos individually, and in groups.
How about adding some more icons for our accounts?

+ kurtkbee on March 20th, 2008 at 8:27 am said:

RandomEarthling @ 113 it is so strange that u say that the updates are too close. I think that they are too far apart.
I like the improvements that come with each and think that it is a necessary part in keeping the evolutionary path of the PS3 on a rapid track (while being careful not to brick a few million devices)

+ frito on March 20th, 2008 at 8:28 am said:

WOW!!!

GREAT UPDATE!!

BLU-RAY 2.0!!!!! AWESOME!

Does everyone realize that we have the ONLY updateable Blu-Ray player? Everyone wlse who bought standalone Blu-Ray players are stuck witht he older Blu-Ray profile, while WE can update!

NICE!

Sorry, SONY, about all the haters today, this really is a GREAT UPDATE! Thanks for all these great features!

Always excited about new functionalities!

I say the more the better!

I also mirror waht has been said so far,

in that a few more things added would help round out the PS3 as a fully-fledged home media center-

*keep the support going for video codecs! .mkv .rmvb .mov etc. etc.

and keep supporting the .divx .xvid .wmv formats, making them even more compliant!!

* The PS2 backwards compatibility of my 60 gig launch unit still could use some tweaks, Final Fantasy 12 still looks horrible!

*MORE MUSIC VISUALIZATIONS! these are great! Everyone appreciates more visualizations!

*A way to send EYE movies to friends would be great!

*The PS3 web browser still is lacking in many departments…just try surfing for more than 10 minutes and eventually you sill see waht I mean, many sites are not supported!

THESE ARE JUST SUGGESTIONS, NOT COMPLAINTS!

THIS UPDATE IS GREAT! THANKS!!!

I really have to get a PSP now! lol!

+ Chinese Big Wing Bird on March 20th, 2008 at 8:28 am said:

This BD-live is adding life bar to 19 block.
This is really a dog fight!
Where did you find these updates &
eye of judgement?

We just updated v2.17, 2.20 come out so fast!

+ frito on March 20th, 2008 at 8:30 am said:

@ #120 mywhitenoise

good suggestions!

I forgot to say how much i want a fully integrated In-game custom soundtracks whenever you want, with all games like on the 360! It really is an awesome feature!

cheers!

+ frito on March 20th, 2008 at 8:37 am said:

oh, they must have deleted some XMB posts, i meant #116 my whitenoise! lol!

Oh yeah, *off topic, kinda* any news on an Eye movie making contest?

just wondering!

+ Mr_Pickle on March 20th, 2008 at 8:40 am said:

IN GAME CLOCK

is needed when you press the PS button. Surely thats simply enough to implement in the next update. A much needed feature.

-Also upgraded Flash in web browser
-Update in compatibility of PS2 games (like PAL version of Area 51 still dowsn’t work)
-I would like the ability to capture a screenshot of Bluray movies and DVDs to PS3 harddrive or memory stick like the computer application PowerDVD can do.
- ability to play ts, td files (Transport streams) which is the file format DVICO uses to record High Def TV Shows
- Skype for PS3

+ freemantim on March 20th, 2008 at 8:40 am said:

I love the items listed here. Resume play is a great add.

Thanks.

I would agree that being able to access music library while music is playing would be a great upgrade.

+ slickrich05 on March 20th, 2008 at 8:45 am said:

@ Jeff Rubenstein,how about you demonstrat how to send a mesage to some one when you playing a game of that right you cant do that

+ moog on March 20th, 2008 at 8:45 am said:

Does anyone know whether WMV gets WMA pro audio support in this?

+ Coolwater on March 20th, 2008 at 8:46 am said:

I want to know what upgrades they havent listed yet… crosses fingers for in-game XMB messaging.

+ Cerberus_Hunter on March 20th, 2008 at 8:51 am said:

Thanks for the heads up! ;)

p.s. try keeping the updates monthly…

+ CrimsonCalibur on March 20th, 2008 at 8:53 am said:

Outstanding update! The PS3 continues to amaze me. Thanks for all of your hard work on these updates!

+ Fzyde on March 20th, 2008 at 8:55 am said:

PLZ Sony give us SUBTITLES SUPPORT on video files. Plz!

Oh, and newer flash support on the web browser as well.

+ Prayer350z on March 20th, 2008 at 8:56 am said:

not a bad update, but still not what im looking for.

+ Cpt.blue on March 20th, 2008 at 8:57 am said:

Either Jeff has been doing some hardcore editing to these comments or the community is finally starting to act more civil. Either way keep it up.

@112, Tigerriot

The best worded demand for the feature i’ve read yet

+ HanSolo on March 20th, 2008 at 8:58 am said:

what movies out now support blue ray 2.0, i want to go on a shopping spree!!
i cant wait, thanks again sony!!!!!

+ KazeEternal on March 20th, 2008 at 9:01 am said:

Excellent update so far ^^. It also brings us closer to firmware 2.4

Thanks for the heads up up on the firmware update. Sucks waiting on the wire for an update each week, at least now I know to expect one in the next 30 days.

+ romeobjk on March 20th, 2008 at 9:02 am said:

PLEASE… Subtitle for DivX.PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE…

+ sharpshoot2009 on March 20th, 2008 at 9:08 am said:

Can you please add DTS HD Lossless audio support like decoding and bitstream throw hdmi?

+ DJJohnH on March 20th, 2008 at 9:10 am said:

Very nice indeed :)

+ RobinNL on March 20th, 2008 at 9:20 am said:

Looks like an fantastic update. Thanks Sony.

+ WinterWolf on March 20th, 2008 at 9:22 am said:

We need more media support as well. Many of my DivX and XviD files still don’t play. Please expand the multimedia functionality…That would be great.

Also. I would like to update my PSP via my PS3. It would also be cool if I can use my PS3 as a hot spot for my PSP….if it is possible.

A clock would be very nice too. Thanks for making PS3 the best!

+ p-s-3 on March 20th, 2008 at 9:27 am said:

Fantastic!!! ;) Keep up the good work guys ;)

+ StalkingSilence on March 20th, 2008 at 9:31 am said:

Jeff,
Please include a copy of TurboTax for PS3 in the next firmware update that will roll-out along with the rumored PSN makeover on April 15. K Thanks!

I’m in Ur House Doing Ur Taxes. Wait, what?

+ willacuz on March 20th, 2008 at 9:31 am said:

Great, More updates for my PSBluray3.

Any news on anything game related? Or are we all just here to be drug on because this is only “round two” of the 10 year plan?

Good thing I spent $600 dollars on it. You guys definitely suckered me in after being a psx/ps2 die hard fan. Update another firmware that totally gets rid of the gaming features of the PS3 and converts it into a 100% Bluray player.

+ NewYork214 on March 20th, 2008 at 9:33 am said:

so what are the other features that you guys usualy forget to mention lol. there is always a few little things fans find out about that werent mentioned.
all PS1 games through remote play, and earth visualiser are two i can think of off the top of my head.

+ convicsik on March 20th, 2008 at 9:33 am said:

Nice update. Still hoping for in game XMB at some point. I like the “save taget as” option, as it should make downloading games saves easier.
Good job.

+ afrosheen on March 20th, 2008 at 9:36 am said:

Ignore the f-tard trolls, this is a great update. Not like the little patchy-patch one that did nothing last time. Good work Sony, keep it coming. Also please re-evaluate your “less is more” approach with firmware releases. The more often you dole out features, the happier we are, and if anyone cries about updating frequently…well I have a baby bottle for them.

+ whataguy00 on March 20th, 2008 at 9:36 am said:

Thank you Eric! An awesome update!

RE: DTS-MA

Recent purchases include a 52XBR4 HDTV and 5300ES Receiver. Please provide DTS-MA BITSTREAM functionality; do NOT necessarily need decoding.

Branded to Sony – Platinum Club Pulse member. Thanks for the wonderful products.

+ willacuz on March 20th, 2008 at 9:40 am said:

I mean, the PS3 is a game system right????

Everyone who bought this dumbass thing is pretending to convince themselves that “oh it plays games..” Yeah what games? uncharted/ratchet/resistance blah blah are all great games. But I feel like gaming has definitely taken a back seat to the PS3 as a media center in the living room.

The only reason people bought this thing was because it was the next Playstation. I didn’t own my PS2 for DVD movies, yes it was a bonus. But the reason its still around is because of the games.

Every single title known to man is better on the 360.

The gaming community is better on the 360.

You get Beta’s for owning a 360.

What is Sony doing for the gaming fanbase? Dangling titles in front of everyones face that they have been waiting for since 2005, and even THAT shows you how desperate people are for them. 10.5 million people bought this useless gamesystem for the bluray player i’d imagine.

Sony is practically SILENT when it comes to the media as well, while MS is constantly bombarding the entire gaming community with news G A M E related updates and information of things people actually want, and have been proven to want in the past.

This isn’t the company that enjoyed the success of the PS2.

You are losing people to the lame 360 almost daily, people are WILLING to put up with a 99.9% failure rate because the Game system actually plays games, doesn’t have 204 minute MANDATORY installs, and has interesting features where I can actually invite friends to games without picking up a phone.

I’ve been a playstation fan for years, back tot he silly URNOT-E days.

What the hell is happening?

+ tielo on March 20th, 2008 at 9:40 am said:

Thank you Sony, the PS3 rocks!

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 8