PlayStation Music

Mar 31

New PLAYSTATION Store interface coming in mid-April

Susan Panico's Avatar Posted by Susan Panico on Mar 31, 2008 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Network

This morning, SCEA announced that the PLAYSTATION Store will be revamped with a new look in mid-April. We’ve heard your calls for a more fluid Store interface, and we think you’ll be pleased with the results.

As some of the most passionate and knowledgeable PLAYSTATION 3 fans out there, here’s some additional information on the revamped PLAYSTATION Store.

The New PlayStation Store

As you can see in the above screenshot, the new interface allows customers to browse through eight primary categories, rather than four, making it easier to locate games, demos, game add-ons and other content. It also enables us to put up to twice as many items per page, significantly cutting down the time it takes to browse through content.

Customers will be able to access, browse, shop and download content as usual prior to the store’s re-opening. However, no additional downloadable content will be posted prior to then, including this Thursday, April 3rd, and next Thursday, April 10th. Regularly scheduled content updates will resume with the Store’s re-opening, at which time additional games and game-related items will be added, including the downloadable version of the highly-anticipated exclusive PS3 title Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

When the PLAYSTATION Store is set to re-open with the new interface, PS3 users will be prompted to download a firmware update which will enable entry to the new store.

We’ll continue to update readers of the PlayStation.Blog on the status of the PLAYSTATION Store upgrade – including a video walkthrough – in the coming days.

PAGE 1 6 7 8

+ jd.90 on April 3rd, 2008 at 9:49 am said:

What is the new firmware going to be called, 2.30 or 2.21??

BTW Keep up the good work Sony and the crew posting exiting news here on the Playstation.Blog ;)

+ striplay on April 3rd, 2008 at 9:58 am said:

Thanks for posting a reply in such a timely fashion. I’m not sure if it’s widely known, but that is a major plus with the gaming community. It’s good to know that people are listening to the consumer.

To clear things up, I was in fact aware that you could personalize the XMB icons & use the iPod, however; I was hoping for improved functionality.
Perhaps I should have compiled my words better…for that I apologize.

Mostly I was hoping for some sort of response regarding PAL / NTSC support…as I’m sure you are aware by now, that is my main concern at this point. Perhaps that is an area that you are not permitted to comment on, but it wasn’t addressed at all so I am left wondering. Could you please fulfill a favor and tell me something regarding this matter? I would like to know if you have heard anything about this, plan to mention this to your crew, or simply just not sure at this at the moment. Anything would help at this point. As a designer I am very meticulous in the way I create my own things…so I suppose it’s needless to say that my views will remain the same in every aspect of my surroundings. Playing a videogame is no different. There’s always something that I will find in need of improvement and it will clearly bother me until the day of its correction. As a result; I’m sure you can understand my need for partial clarification at the very least. Hopefully you are able to address this concern, but will remain understanding as well as loyal if you cannot.

Thanks for your previous and continued assistance with our concerns…and as I mentioned before, all is much appreciated.
I will look forward to any future posts you may contribute. It appears to me that you have a grip on things around here and genuinely care about keeping us informed.

Take care and have a good day!

Sincerely: stri

+ striplay on April 3rd, 2008 at 10:07 am said:

Sorry to double post, but it appears I’ve made a typo above. Not a big deal, I know…but I am picky like that. I am sure others are as well so, I’ll make this website improvement suggestion.

-Add an “Edit Post” option.

I’ve always found that to be an important part of any forum.

+ Marciano1980 on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:03 pm said:

Great Noel, I´ll be waiting with patience.

+ striplay on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:03 pm said:

I am also looking forward to that surprise…Thanks!

I have asked this before, however; I have yet to receive a response. Hopefully a reply can be given this time as I’m extremely curious.

For me, PAL / NTSC support is a major issue. I really NEED the ability to play both on my PS3 (Games as well as DVD’s).
It should be implemented to allow for switching back and forth from one to the other.
Is there any hope for a revision to include this in the future?

I will also list some of my future desires for the PS3.
Additional requirements include:

-Direct HDD access.
-Icon manipulation.
-Additional sorting options (Mainly drag & drop).
-Improved browser support with Flash.
-Password protection for users, installed games, videos etc.
-Print Screen / Save Option.
-iPod support.
-Allow for standard key short cuts. (ctrl a, ctrl z, ctrl x, ctrl v etc.).
-Allow for creation of new folders.
-In Game XMB (As if it hasn’t been requested already).
-XMB volume control.
-Separate auto-play setting on DVDs / games.
-Option to adjust opacity on XMB and contents.
-Allow support for all container formats. Why have any limits?
-Add the ability to run multiple things simultaneously. (Ex. Play a movie, without closing any running applications.)
-Add a PS3 timer.
-Add date and time on PS button.
-Powered stand by USB ports.
-Individual icon manipulation option. (Ex. Use own image without having to design).
-During remote play have option to allow the screen to show the content rather than the current message. Perhaps even allow for head to head via PSP and PS3.
-Ability to send messages from PSP to PS3 & vice versa during remote play.
-Option to manually resize browser screen to fit all content. (Ex. Like a computer monitor).
-Unlimited friends list.
-All games utilize the “Players Met” section in PS3 XMB.
-Larger character allowance for user icon comments.
-Option to change or add to your friends names on your list.
-More XMB colours.
-Home (On the way I know but had to mention it…soooo excited).

There are many more but I’ve clearly taken up enough space already. Is it possible that any or all of these might be included at some point?

P.S . – Thanks for everything thus far. I realize that Sony is working very hard to satisfy an increasingly demanding consumer base. I just wanted to point out that all is much appreciated.
Thanks and have a good day everyone!

Sincerely: stri

Susan Panico's Avatar

+ Noel Silvia on April 3rd, 2008 at 1:25 am said:

Nice list, stri. Don\’t know if you knew, but some of those things you can already do.

For personalizing the XMB icons, you can already do that by creating your own Theme and installing it on your PLAYSTATION 3.
    If you don\’t know how to do this, I\’ll be doing a blog post in a few weeks after the dust clouds have settled and the new Store has been launched, so keep an eye right here on the official Blog.

iPods are already supported by your PS3.
    If you go to MUSIC, you should see your iPod connected right above all of your music files / folders. If your music isn\’t showing when you select your iPod, press the TRIANGLE button and select DISPLAY ALL and it will show all of the folders your music is stored in. It might be a little tricky to find your songs, but for now, that\’s how you can access your music files stored on your iPod.

Great ideas and, hopefully, we\’ll see some of them in future firmware updates. One of the benefits of having upgradeable firmware!

+ kerryk24 on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:16 pm said:

thanks noel, but im gonna be needing to know if when you say extra extra surprise are you talking about store content or are you talking about the things were asking for like in game xmb? just please tell me im not getting my hopes up just for store content.

Susan Panico's Avatar

+ Noel Silvia on April 3rd, 2008 at 1:17 am said:

I can see it now – people taking this \”little surprise\” and running with it.
    So, to clear things up, emphasis on \”little\”.
    For those who don\’t like surprises, read on…

We\’re going to be recapping some of your comments with answers to some of your questions, although please keep in mind that there are some we cannot address for a variety of reasons. Also, we should have some new screen shots for you, including a comparison of the HD and SD Stores, possibly some \”early looks\” at the Store, and Jeff\’s trying to get some video together for you guys so you can see the thing in motion.

This time, \”little surprise\” actually means \”little\”, but we\’re proud of what we\’re working on and want to share it with all of you since, from the comments here, you\’re eager to see how it\’s coming along! ;)

+ wallbc01 on April 3rd, 2008 at 12:34 am said:

i hope the surprise is good!! can’t wait

+ lim_ryan on April 3rd, 2008 at 1:05 am said:

i know the surprises….anyway free online already is surprise when compare to rival

PAGE 1 6 7 8