Far Cry 4

Feel the Shock Next Week!

Kristin Neirinckx's Avatar + Posted by Kristin Neirinckx on Apr 02, 2008 // Marketing Manager, PSP

DUALSHOCK 3

Rumble is back with the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller for PLAYSTATION 3. These are shipping to store shelves as we speak, so be on the lookout for them next week. Now I know that the list of compatible games is the most important thing to you, so we’re including that at the bottom of this post. The titles with an asterisk in the list below will require a patch in order to activate the rumble feature. The patch will automatically download to your PS3 if your console is connected online. If you are not connected online, check our PlayStation Knowledge Center for more information.

We will be launching have launched a web page on the PlayStation website later this morning dedicated to informing you of what titles use force feedback. This list will be expanding as new titles become compatible, so be sure to be sure to check back. You can also keep an eye out for this icon:

DUALSHOCK 3 compatible

This will be located on all new software releases that are DUALSHOCK 3 compatible.

Just to give you a small refresher course, the DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller includes pressure sensors that rumble with each action. SIXAXIS technology is also included, so you can still use motion control, and the controller features Bluetooth technology for wireless gameplay. You can pick it up at any of the major retailers and at a cost $54.99 MSRP.

Here’s the complete list of titles supporting the DUALSHOCK 3 at launch:

• SCEA – Formula One Championship Edition* (PS3)
  • SCEA – MotorStorm* (PS3)
  • SCEA – Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3)
  • SCEA – PAIN (PSN)
  • SCEA – High Velocity Bowling (PSN)
  • SCEA – MLB 08: The Show (PS3)
  • SCEA – Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (PS3)
  • SCEA – Resistance: Fall of Man* (PS3)
  • SCEA – Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
  • SCEA – Go! Sports Ski* (PSN)
  • SCEA – Folklore* (PS3)
  • SCEA – Heavenly Sword* (PS3)
  • SCEA – Warhawk* (PSN / PS3)
  • SCEA – Super Stardust HD* (PSN)
  • SCEA – Snakeball (PSN)
  • SCEA – Toy Home (PSN)
  • SCEA – PSOne Emulation (PSN)
  • SCEA – Piyotama (PSN)
  • SCEA – PixelJunk Monsters (PSN)
  • SCEA – Blast Factor* (PSN)
  • Sega – Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PS3)
  • Ubisoft – Lost: Via Domus (PS3)
  • Ubisoft – Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2* (PS3)
  • EA – Burnout Paradise (PS3)
  • KOEI – Dynasty Warriors 6 (PS3)
  • Capcom – Devil May Cry 4 (PS3)
  • Atari – Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit (PS3)
  • Disney Interactive – Turok (PS3)
  • Sierra Games – TimeShift (PS3)

DUALSHOCK 3

+ tripletags on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:08 am said:

I have been playing with a Japanese DS3 and can confirm from the last week alone:

Burnout Paradise
Dark Sector
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Warhawk

+ tearsofash on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:09 am said:

Will there be a way to turn off rumble during gameplay? I am a purist and wish to intend some of these games as they were originally intended.

+ maluraq on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:12 am said:

Excited to see well executed rumble in certain games. I’m sure it will add something to Motorstorm, Burnout and Warhawk, but I can’t say I missed it that much either in the year I’ve been playing my PS3 without it.

My original Sixaxis has a slightly loose left analog stick now, and its just out of warranty so I’ll probably buy one of these when I see them in stores.

+ kagenish on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:14 am said:

playing resitance with rumble is like playing a new game all over. yeah i already have dualshock 3 all three colors black, silver, and white.

+ akizuki on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:14 am said:

Got mine awhile ago at a convention, bought two white DS3s. The battery life is great, as long as the SixAxis, however it seems it lasts somewhat longer even. I’ve been playing a DS3 w/ Armored Core:for Answers w/ rumble on Max for awhile now, and it’s been almost 3 1/2 days and the bar hasn’t even gone down. So the battery life is good. Also the feel of the controller is what’s the best part. The DS3 feels like there’s actually something there in your hand, and not like your holding onto air. The weight of the DS3 feels great, and it no longer makes you wonder if the controller will just float up to your ceiling anymore.

Question though:
Will we be able to maybe trade our old SixAxis for DS3? Or will we have to completely pay full retail for new ones? Because I have my two original SixAxis, and was wondering about this for awhile.

+ Locster60 on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:15 am said:

COD 4 does not support rumble.. really.. wow!!

+ Locster60 on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:16 am said:

I reserved 4 controllers. Ohh yea!

+ Lorenzo1994 on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:18 am said:

SWEET!!!!!!!!!

+ XxBigP123xX on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:20 am said:

Too late, I imported mine already.

+ RandomEarthling on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:23 am said:

Will stores have to wait to launch the DualShock3 on a certain date or will they be able to sell them when they come in?

Kristin Neirinckx's Avatar

+ kneirinckx on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:35 am said:

There is no street date for DUALSHOCK 3 so as soon as the retailers get them, they can put them on shelf.

+ ArturNOW on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:30 am said:

Hopefully I have DualShock for 2 month already and it’s really worth buying. Actualy when I first played with it I wasn’t impressed (I was playing Folklore lately) but then I switched back to sixaxis becuase I my DS3 was charging and Gosh I was missing DS3 so much! If you don’t have it grab it. Force Feedback + Sixaxis is tremendous esprecially in Folkolre. Every PS3 owner should buy this game because it’s great game and also uses Sixaxis and DS3 to it’s limits… maybe not limits :)

+ Gunwing on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:40 am said:

Good! I have been playing Killzone and will be picking up God of War so it’s good to know that the dual Shock 3 will rumble with my PS2 games! Thanks! BTW Any word on if the 80GB PS3 will get some more fixes for some of the bugs we have and official listings on the new PS2 games that are out?

We would like to know if the fallowing PS2 games will work with the 80GB PS3 model:

Twisted Metal: Head On Extra Twisted Edition

Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3

Metal Gear Solid Anthology

+ Temmehkan on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:42 am said:

Awesome, ima buy it next week then!

+ Frazz on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:46 am said:

crap I just bought one off eBay last week.I should have waited but I’m too impatient

+ Temmehkan on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:47 am said:

Will we get the White Dual SHock 3? if not i might have to import it XD

+ scorpio on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:54 am said:

I don’t care too much for rumble but I wanted a 3rd controller anyways so I will probably pick one up with MGS4 (one of the only games i think that actaully used it right).

+ Scary69 on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:55 am said:

@22 you need to read better it states “The titles with an asterisk in the list below will require a patch in order to activate the rumble feature. The patch will automatically download to your PS3 if your console is connected online. If you are not connected online, check our PlayStation Knowledge Center for more information.”

+ Gunwing on April 2nd, 2008 at 8:55 am said:

I think we should all wait because we all know Sony released a crap load of multi colored Dual Shock 2.0 controllers for the PS2, so I think we can expect the same with the PS3.

If I remember off the top of my head we have the fallowing colors for the PS2 controllers:

Green
Blue
Black
Red

So If that is any indacation we should get some more PS3 controller colors from Sony some time down the road. (BTW the PS2 Force2 controller is not a Sony product so don’t think that just because it looks the same only bigger it means it’s the same thing)

I know tons of people who think that the Force2 controller is the Dual Shock 3 but it’s not. It’s dose not even say Sony on the package.

+ Violater on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:04 am said:

The Rumble in UT3 is awesome, it comes in second to the MGS series.

+ vandam on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:04 am said:

Are they a week early? I thought they was supose to come out on the 15th. Cool with me if they do. I’ll grab mine next week. (preciousdeath #19 I feel you bro. LOL!!!!!

Kristin Neirinckx's Avatar

+ kneirinckx on April 2nd, 2008 at 12:18 pm said:

Yes, we originally said April 15th in conjunction with GT5 Prologue (which is still available 4/15 and is DUALSHOCK 3 compatible). They arrived earlier so we shipped them out!

+ xmscott on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:11 am said:

” Draicus | April 2nd, 2008 at 6:17 am

Time to replace my other two SIXAXIS controllers.”

Feel free to send them to me.
Only own one game on that list. Amazon had them up for order at $49.99. I jumped.

+ moog on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:14 am said:

@51 deadxbabiesxinc, I power the PS3 off when not in use. The DVR is always on, so I use that to charge controllers, seeing as it has a conveniently placed USB socket on the front.

+ whoelse on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:15 am said:

I’m desperate for rumble in COD4!

+ gdenso on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:18 am said:

First, I would like to say i’m really happy to see the DS back in these controllers. Rumble is an element that does add that immersive feeling in to the game, no matter how small of a rumble it is. This should have been resolved and included from day one.

Secondly, what happens to those of us, who already invested in Sixaxis controllers based on the fact that we were told that there won’t be DS in the future?

I really hope some sort of exchange or trade and rebate is offerered, as I find it pretty unfair as to the people who have several Sixaxis controllers, already.

2 – 4 “new” controllers will cost about $100 – $200

Please let us know, as to what plans Sony have for people with just Sixaxis, or if it’s going to be another “ohwell” and we pick up the nice bill that Immersion has sent over, to “settle”?

+ maluraq on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:23 am said:

To those who want to use their USB ports for charging when not playing games, I sympathize, but now I just leave my PS3 running Folding@Home overnight (with the “turn off after current project” setting turned on) and my controller plugged in to charge at the same time.

+ nmc75 on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:24 am said:

@53

Yes, you just hit the ‘Home’ button and you can switch the Vibration feature ‘on’ or ‘off’. For everyone getting the DS3, make sure you switch the Vibration feature ‘on’ the first time you use it on your PS3 with a rumble enabled game, I think by default it’s ‘off’ the first time, at least that’s what it was for me in Motorstorm the first time I tried it.

+ PSYCHO-MAGNET on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:27 am said:

I was just about to mention some sort of exchange or rebate as well. I totally agree on #75’s comments

+ PSYCHO-MAGNET on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:32 am said:

i meant @ #74’s comments

“I was just about to mention some sort of exchange or rebate as well. I totally agree on #74’s comments”

+ Submish on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:44 am said:

Thank You Guys!! It is such a good time to be a PS3 owner, April is kicking major tail, and there are some really nice things in store for the PS3 Thanks again Sony!!

+ Byakuya769 on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:47 am said:

I’m sorry but why in the world are we not getting ANY other colors? With the PS1 and PS2 (to a lesser degree) we were given color options.. However, currently we have little color options for psp (while japan has many, as does europe), NO option for the PS3, and now worse of all only ONE color for a controller that we got months after Japan anyway? This is ridiculous, and I think I speak for many in saying so.

+ gamer812 on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:50 am said:

I already have a DS3 as well. It’s great for those who don’t have it though.

+ Kazammm on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:50 am said:

@74:

Agreed, I already have a few Sixaxis controllers and it’ll be a bummer to have to buy DS3’s at $55 to replace them.

+ jbat17 on April 2nd, 2008 at 9:54 am said:

i always thought DiRT is rumble-ready, this is the only game right now that i’ excited to play with rumble on.. how disappointing :(

+ aybara on April 2nd, 2008 at 10:00 am said:

My only complaint is that I can still but a Dualshock 3 from eBay for $48.

I got two of them back in January for $105 after shipping.

To get two of them from a local retailer, it would be $110 before tax.

+ DigitalHero on April 2nd, 2008 at 10:01 am said:

I will buy a Dual Shock 3 the day it arrives.

+ PsychoEddie on April 2nd, 2008 at 10:02 am said:

@Locster60

Why are you surprised that cod doesn’t or may not support rumble? It barely supports online game play.

+ PSheddy on April 2nd, 2008 at 10:11 am said:

Well, I already have mine.. but at least those people who didn’t import have a chance at getting this “last gen technology” soon!

+ Neil on April 2nd, 2008 at 10:29 am said:

I think I’ll import the white one.

+ Coolwater on April 2nd, 2008 at 10:40 am said:

I imported 3 from overseas. They dont work yet in Call of Duty 4. And for Burnout Paradise they only seem to work when you hit something. Kind of a let down so far.

I couldnt wait for Sony to get off thier butts to release them here. I’m not sure why it was necessary to wait so long. I’d like an answer to that question. Why so long Sony??

+ byrd864 on April 2nd, 2008 at 10:40 am said:

will the controller still rumble if it is plugged into the ps3 and charging (or not charging)?

I don’t like using it wireless-ly because it likes to lock up sometimes.

+ chrysostom on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:00 am said:

Do we get different colors as well? (ceramic white? satin silver?)

Kristin Neirinckx's Avatar

+ kneirinckx on April 2nd, 2008 at 12:14 pm said:

We don\’t have any additional color plans at this time. I\’ll be sure to let you know if that changes.

+ thingg on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:05 am said:

ok, why would anyone rate this less than a 5?

anyway, cool you’re shipping them for the people that want them.

@Kristin
do you know/can you tell us when these are coming out in Europe? I live in the U.S., but some of my forum buddies would like to know. Thanks.

+ Natepig on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:06 am said:

Any info on when a white one will be hitting the states?

+ IceCold on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:06 am said:

kneirinckx…

I super excited about the rumble, but do you know if thre are any plans for LED back lit buttons and PS button. I’m too lazy to deal with modding. I’m just being picky here :-p

+ Bender Rodriguez on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:10 am said:

Rumble is overrated to me, but so is Sixaxis. I’ll admit I would rather not have sixaxis motion stuff at all in games if I had to pick between the two. At least Rumble I can ignore and turn off in every game. I hated how Uncharted forced Sixaxis motion stuff on to you.

Having said all that though. I’m fine without Rumble. With the price of 55 dollars I’d be fine without it even if I did want it. Which I don’t.

+ tlpn99 on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:10 am said:

I have tried putting the USB charger connected to my Sixaxis in my PC USB and it would not charge up when I had it in there on my PC and I know the port works as I have used it for other items on my pc and my USB cable works fine when charging the Sixaxis up on the PS3.

+ aviros on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:11 am said:

So when Ric Flair slaps me backhanded across my chest (wooooooo), I won’t feel a rumble? WTF.

Kristin Neirinckx's Avatar

+ kneirinckx on April 2nd, 2008 at 12:23 pm said:

not at this time…but maybe you can learn some better defense moves in the meantime :)

+ Anthrax809 on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:14 am said:

i had already ordered mine from japan! :)
nice to see it coming to the states!

+ lakaihigh on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:24 am said:

@ Bender Rodriguez – rumble and the use of sixaxis further my level of immersion in all the games that I’ve played that use it well. Uncharted use of it was awesoem, the balancing on fallen trees and grenade mechanic was spot on. I can’t wait to replay all my old PS3, PS2 and PS1 games once I pick up my two DS3’s next week.

cheers,
Lh

+ mobiletone on April 2nd, 2008 at 11:25 am said:

had a white DS3 for a while now, when mates are over they get the standard 6X pads, so glad to have this function again, you just don’t realise how much you miss it.

on Motorstorm set rumble to ‘high’ :)

had no trouble with battery life, seems to last as long as the 6X did and i use rumble on nearly every game i play.