PS4 - Destiny

PSP Firmware (v3.95) Coming Soon

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Apr 07, 2008 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Just a quick update, we’ll be making PSP firmware update 3.95 available shortly. The update includes the following:

• While playing PSone games on your PSP, you can now customize how the buttons are assigned by going to [Controller Settings] > [Assign Buttons] and select [Custom].
  • You can now quit Remote Play and choose to turn off your PS3 or leave it on after quitting. This is useful if you are performing a download and want to quit Remote Play, but still want your download to continue on the PS3. Select [Quit and Turn Off the PS3 System] or [Quit Without Turning Off the PS3 System] from [Quit Remote Play] when you press the HOME button on the PSP system.

PSP Screen

For details on remote play, refer to the online user’s guide for the PSP.

As always, thanks for your feedback and support.

172 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Linden on April 7th, 2008 at 4:39 pm said:

so many improvements, this makes me want to get a psp

+ Joshjames1234 on April 7th, 2008 at 4:42 pm said:

Sweet….even though it is a minor update, it’s still always great to get updates!

Thanks for your continued dedicated support!

+ depward on April 7th, 2008 at 4:47 pm said:

Eric – you are a PSP firmware updating God amongst mortal men. Well done sir…. well done.

Love the remote play feature!

+ womfalcs3 on April 7th, 2008 at 4:49 pm said:

Awesome!

I’ve always wanted to map the controls.

+ chase on April 7th, 2008 at 4:51 pm said:

cool [DELETED]

+ Frazz on April 7th, 2008 at 4:56 pm said:

Its an ok update I dont have wireless internet and everywhere I go you have to pay for it.Maybe the ability to take games like pixel junk monsters and everyday shooter calling all cars of the ps3 and put them on psp would be an awsome feature I would use.

A video of the new store would be nice to get some more hype going

+ Joshjames1234 on April 7th, 2008 at 4:57 pm said:

P.S.: I do I have one request though for a PSP update.

The Remote Play feature is absolutely amazing no doubt, but its performance can be really sketchy at times. I love playing PixelJunk Monsters in my room (really close to the PS3) and I connect via my PS3′s wi-fi. However, when playing any game over remote play, there are many times when the screen freezes for a few seconds, and I am unable to control anything (this only lasts about 3-10 seconds). As you can imagine, even an issue this small can be extremely detrimental to game play (I have lost many games in PJM because the frequent cut-outs).

If possible, I ask that the quality of communication between PSP and PS3 be improved — right now it feels like it could be soo much better if it didn’t cut out every few minutes.

And yes, I have messed around with the “Communication Settings,” and have even tried everything with the lowest possible settings. Still, cut-outs are not rare occurrences.

Thanks again for your tremendous support!

+ tagout on April 7th, 2008 at 5:01 pm said:

Divx support please.

I noticed that some of the .mp4 files I downloaded from gametrailers.com doesn’t work on my PSP.

+ Joakim Hagdahl on April 7th, 2008 at 5:02 pm said:

Thanks for the custom button configuration. Will it save the setting depending on the game or be overall changes to all games?

+ Protopet on April 7th, 2008 at 5:05 pm said:

Just fix the communication problems in Remote Play, when connecting through the internet(Like posted above).

This goes for watching movies, music, photos, and games, the stability/connection needs to be good and consistent.

You guys are doing great though, keep it up!

+ X820 on April 7th, 2008 at 5:05 pm said:

So this week 3.95, next week we’re going to have another firmware update for the new store layout? Too many updates don’t you think in the past month or so?

+ X820 on April 7th, 2008 at 5:06 pm said:

oh PSP, nvm lol. I though it was for PS3.

+ IceCold on April 7th, 2008 at 5:07 pm said:

All i need now if my red GOW PSP

+ wolverine81 on April 7th, 2008 at 5:08 pm said:

If you [Quit Without Turning Off the PS3 System] can you still log back onto your PS3 via (internet) remote play?

+ spike021 on April 7th, 2008 at 5:09 pm said:

Gearing up for 4.00 are yeh? It had better have some good features : |

+ Stoffinator on April 7th, 2008 at 5:10 pm said:

Keep the updates coming. So far they’ve all been good the last while. Feature wise of course.

+ Maverick_fox on April 7th, 2008 at 5:12 pm said:

“You can now quit Remote Play and choose to turn off your PS3 or leave it on after quitting.”

i have been using tis function sience 3.70 !! i jst press home and then select stop remote play, my ps3 keeps downloading until i sart remote play again.

anyway nice update, but i smell something hiden, maybe some sort of home integretion. :D

+ TheHakku on April 7th, 2008 at 5:13 pm said:

No, sir, Mr. Lempel. What this is useful for is if you actually WANT to shut your PS3 off directly from remote play. That is new. The old was only being able to quit and have the PS3 resume as normal.

:]

+ FreePlay on April 7th, 2008 at 5:19 pm said:

1. Homebrew support.
2. Custom radio player devkit (as promised… even though I’ve already mastered coding for it)
3. Divx.

Stop trying to get people to buy the PS3 by adding features to the PSP. Add features to the PS3 and I might buy it.

+ Debo2U on April 7th, 2008 at 5:20 pm said:

Great news Sony.
Are there any other features in v3.95?
i love my PSP, and u guys do a great job of supporting.

+ tearsofash on April 7th, 2008 at 5:21 pm said:

Is this the update that’s related for the new store update? Or is this a different one?

+ FreePlay on April 7th, 2008 at 5:23 pm said:

Store updates don’t require firmware updates.

+ aaquib on April 7th, 2008 at 5:25 pm said:

Nice! It’s great to see that even after nearly 3 years you’re still updating the little guy.

+ legomando on April 7th, 2008 at 5:26 pm said:

Cool! I like the custom button thing! It will make playing Crash Warped (and other games) alot easier. :)

+ THATPSPGUY on April 7th, 2008 at 5:27 pm said:

When i first saw remote play, it was nothing like this. Remote play to me was that you would be able to play any ps3 game using the local ps3 network and using a sixaxis or dual shock 3 to control the game. Thats the Remote Play I want. The ability to transfer just the video from every game to my psp. So that if Nature Calls I can take my game to the john with me. Remote Play was also supposed to be integrated with F1 and other games. Has it? no not really. Come on man step this game up. I want REAL REMOTE PLAY, not this stuff. I mean it’s great and all for the kiddie games but give us truely what we want. My Idea.

+ shadow021 on April 7th, 2008 at 5:28 pm said:

hey freeplay

and Sony, never forget……

DAX, who bring us power…….. from the dark side.

homebrew would sell may more systems if you allowed it, piraters suck, but real homebrew…. is better than even some official games(excluding ff vii crisis core).

+ tearsofash on April 7th, 2008 at 5:32 pm said:

@21

I heard they’re completely revamping the store to a completely different model which would require a FW update of some sort.

+ octocore on April 7th, 2008 at 5:33 pm said:

Eric,

Thanks for giving us the heads up! Looks great, glad to see you guys keep improving the PSP (and PS3′s) system software. Keep up the good work!

One thing I’d like you to consider for the PS3: I do not like how Remote Play Start works currently, that is you must have an account set to auto-login for Remote Start. Why not allow the user to select one account that will be used for Remote Start instead? So if the user has auto-login turned off, instead of saying “Sorry, you must select an account to auto-logon”, bring up a dialog that will allow a user to pick the account used for Remote Start but not necessarily for auto-logon.

+ WHAT on April 7th, 2008 at 5:34 pm said:

Seems to me, that making the PS3 finish downloads and then automatically shutdown would be the better choice.

+ Neil on April 7th, 2008 at 5:34 pm said:

Sweet dilly dogs.

+ erico316 on April 7th, 2008 at 5:37 pm said:

what about having the ps3 turn off you finshes downloading something if the ps3 is in active for 10 mins

+ Locster60 on April 7th, 2008 at 5:40 pm said:

Very nice. I wish you could save music to y our psp without having to connect it to your ps3 via cable. I can listen to music wirelessly but have not been able to save music from my PS3 to my PSP wirelessly.

+ enewtabie on April 7th, 2008 at 5:46 pm said:

Another good update.Thanks

+ Zad on April 7th, 2008 at 5:47 pm said:

Great update for the PSP. Thanks for adding the improvements to an already great system. Of course, God of War is currently keeping me off my PS3.

+ tearsofash on April 7th, 2008 at 5:49 pm said:

Ok. Sorry guys. For some reason I thought it said “PS3 update”. Guess I fail.

Sounds like a pretty good update. I use remote play pretty often, so this should come in handy.

+ shadow021 on April 7th, 2008 at 5:50 pm said:

Nothing real different in this update. Hmmm, anything new in the next few weeks?

+ foolio_67 on April 7th, 2008 at 5:55 pm said:

I like the new features :)

+ dgknight500 on April 7th, 2008 at 6:00 pm said:

wow.. there better be something huge for the 4.0 update… and not some internet radio bs again…

+ jpbp0206 on April 7th, 2008 at 6:01 pm said:

Damm can u bring an update for the psp itself. like something that will make the psp more intresting. more features besides improving the ps3 psp connectivity.. i dont know something that would make another impact like the web feature in update 2.0, ps1 emulator or the location free player. I dont even have a location free player but i’ve seen the feature in action and it looks amazing. Locationfree player feature is one of the best features. but the problem is the player is too pricy. id rather spend it on a ps3 in which i did! and i do more on a ps3 than a locationfree player…..
anyways overall Sony Playstation System are the best gaming systems ever. Love u SONY!=)

+ EvoAnubis on April 7th, 2008 at 6:11 pm said:

“You can now quit Remote Play and choose to turn off your PS3 or leave it on after quitting. This is useful if you are performing a download and want to quit Remote Play, but still want your download to continue on the PS3. Select [Quit and Turn Off the PS3 System] or [Quit Without Turning Off the PS3 System] from [Quit Remote Play] when you press the HOME button on the PSP system.”

EXCELLENT!!! This is a feature I have wanted for quite sometime now! Well done!!!

+ Protopet on April 7th, 2008 at 6:13 pm said:

Off-topic

I agree with some guys here that the PS3 should automatically shut-off after downloads and the controllers should shut-off after being idle for x amount of time(10,15,20,30 minutes).

+ C-h-a-o-s on April 7th, 2008 at 6:13 pm said:

How about a screen shot feature? I don’t know how many times I’ve come accross people that could of used this feature to better explain something that was wrong or show off. PLEASE for the love of pete implement this feature.

+ Aaron on April 7th, 2008 at 6:16 pm said:

Awesome news Eric awesome news!

I have two questions. I hope you can answer them:)

1. When is the God of War PSP release date?
2. When the new PS Store launches it will need a new firmware update. What number will this be 2.30?

Thanks for your time Eric!

Aaron

+ jayd1k on April 7th, 2008 at 6:16 pm said:

can we have an update that allows us to download video and text podcast? i know we can download video podcast but, i can’t view them! or could you add psp media manager to the PS3? that way we could have the PS3 do all the trans coding and feeds for the PSP?!

or you could just open up the PSP to view all video formats and add text feed support and bring back the document transfer option to the PSP media manager!

if any of that is posible! please

+ Protopet on April 7th, 2008 at 6:19 pm said:

Better media functionality.

Music=How about having multiple folders for artists, their albums, years, etc.

Multiple folders for videos.

Can you guys get the Playstation Store(PSP) working on Macs, instead of just PCs?
Or just put the PS Store right on the PSP?

+ Theossie on April 7th, 2008 at 6:22 pm said:

I can never get remote play to work from an internet connection. I always get the “A connection error has occurred. The connection to the PS3 system has timed out” message. Even when I use the wireless connection at my house.

Anyone knows of the fix to this.

I was really excited about this feature after remote start was added, but I haven’t been able to use it.

Thanks!!

+ Protopet on April 7th, 2008 at 6:28 pm said:

#44=good idea

I think a PSP manager on the PS3 would be useful and convenient. The manager could act like iTunes for all your media for the PSP.

We could put all of our media on the PS3, then the manager could convert the media(if neccesary) to make it compatible with the PSP. Then it should be able to easily just put it right on the PSP.

Putting media on the PSP needs to be easy and quick.

+ darkiewonder on April 7th, 2008 at 6:28 pm said:

awesome little update. this will definitely come in handle especially the remote play quit one!

+ joel on April 7th, 2008 at 6:29 pm said:

PSP is the best handheld this generation without a doubt.,

I own both a DS and a psp, lovin psp alot.

+ rojo7 on April 7th, 2008 at 6:30 pm said:

man, i need a psp pronto, but im short on cash…
i just pre-ordered mgs4