Far Cry 4

Resistance 2: “It Begins”

James Stevenson's Avatar + Posted by James Stevenson on Apr 14, 2008 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone! We’ve been working hard getting Resistance 2 ready for its fall release. Right now we’re play-testing 60-player multiplayer and eight-player co-op daily, while tweaking sections of our single-player levels. Needless to say, the game is rapidly progressing and every time we play there are new assets and tech going in.

We’re not quite ready to take the lid off the new stuff we’re developing (there’s quite a lot!). But in the meantime, we did want to share with you a teaser trailer we’ve been using internally. Titled “It Begins,” the trailer discloses some new hints about R2 story direction that I won’t spoil for you here.

But the best part is that we tell you exactly when we’re going to deliver more – much more. The next trailer and worldwide gameplay footage debut will be on the June 13th episode of Gametrailers TV with Geoff Keighley (it’s a full episode covering R2).In the meantime, check out the teaser, and don’t worry, you’ll be hearing more from us before June. Check out the April 17th Full Moon Show Podcast (www.insomniacgames.com) for more details about the teaser and about R2. And, if you have any questions, Bryan Intihar and I will be hanging out in the comments section tonight to answer them!

+ snowglobe on April 15th, 2008 at 1:13 am said:

@ 82: Agreed, I would love to see an open beta for the online portion at least. R1 was good but had what I’d consider some bad balancing problems which spoiled the game a bit.

Please pass the suggestion along to the people developing the multiplayer. I’d kill to play R2 before its release and I’m sure many others would too.

+ bitbydeath on April 15th, 2008 at 1:15 am said:

So was this video CGI or ingame footage and if CGI is this what you are aiming for or better/worse?

+ Otega on April 15th, 2008 at 1:51 am said:

Insomniac will pawnzerd teh bungie and infinty trash..zang1111

+ mhhavobandit on April 15th, 2008 at 3:10 am said:

Wow, nice work Insomniac! That vid is amazing!! Can’t wait for the world premiere June 13th. Definitely on my “pre-order” list. :)

And yeah, those PSN cards would be nice for when Resistance 2 comes out. With new maps in Warhawk, MGO, B:BC, Socom, and Resistance my credit card cannot keep up!!!!

Cheers
mhhavobandit

+ Danny on April 15th, 2008 at 5:10 am said:

wtf does 0708 mean????

+ blkant on April 15th, 2008 at 5:19 am said:

i know this comment wont get is quite useless but, don’t kill hale, don’t turn this into something like call of duty or rainbow six. thats all.

+ haran_elessar on April 15th, 2008 at 5:40 am said:

Hi James,

Thanks for the post. I must say the teaser trailer looks amazing and it sets a great tone for the sequel. Kudos to the art team at Insomniac since they’ve created some great imagery for the next chapter of Resistance. Really the art design rocks! Those spaceships look too cool.

But you’ve been ignoring the question everyone has…was that real-time? I’m guessing it was an in-game cutscene rendered using in-game assets like the beautiful cutscenes from Ratchet and Clank Future. The fact that you answered to Temmehkan that you’ll be showing the “first” footage of the game in June 13 and E3 makes me think that way. So the game will look very very close to the video but not exactly like that…just like the cutscenes in Ratchet and Clank: Future.

So…am I right or am I wrong? Either way I’ll buy the game on the first day! :)

+ NewYork214 on April 15th, 2008 at 6:08 am said:

cant wait for this game. cant wait to see new weapons. my favorite part of R:FOM was the weapons and their alt-fires.

haven’t played R1 in a while(just started a new game in co-op) but my favorite gun was the one when you get to shoot the remainder of your clip out as a automatic turret.that saved my ass a lot. but there wasnt enough ammo for it.
plus the gun that shot through walls.
and the sniper that slowed down time lol.
and the rocket launcher that broke into little rockets and that can stop anywhere were cool.

okay im stoppin now even though there are more cool weapons

+ Jeigh on April 15th, 2008 at 6:18 am said:

@ 107
I have no doubt that that is possible, though it was obviously either a teaser or a cutscene since the game is played in first person (I’m assuming). Nevertheless, if you listen to the podcast you know that they’ve been fleshing out the gameplay first and really building on the experience before polishing it up, so it might very well be a pre-rendered cutscene (not CG). Of course, I’m here posting rather than working on the game so I can’t say for sure.

I’m looking forward to this big time.

+ SPARDA on April 15th, 2008 at 6:32 am said:

I can’t freaking wait.
DAY ONE buy for me.

Thanks Insomniacs

+ deadpool7 on April 15th, 2008 at 6:39 am said:

I Heart You Insomniac!!!

Can’t wait for this one!

+ Strider1979 on April 15th, 2008 at 6:59 am said:

Can’t wait for this. Loved the first resistance and R2 just looks mind blowing. I’m from the UK and wondered if the release dates between USA/UK will be staggered as usual or will it be released worlwide on the same day ala GTA IV and Halo 3?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on April 15th, 2008 at 7:27 am said:

We haven\’t announced any release dates yet, but we are excited to bring the game to Europe, and we know you are anxious to get your hands on it.

+ silvajve on April 15th, 2008 at 6:59 am said:

James,

Huge fan of Insomniac, great job making thses games.

You have no idea with how much interest I’ve been waiting the release of any information for R2. The story + gameplay are great (big differentiator from the FPS genre).

Also the fact that you always try to pass our expectations and knowing you have the experience on the PS3 can’t wait to see what you are going to pull this time around.

My questions is,

Who do I have to shoot at (in the game of course) in order to get in the Beta?!. Any info you can release about it at this time?.

Regards,

+ kagenish on April 15th, 2008 at 7:16 am said:

i love all of your games and i can wait for R2. in this trailer is that the visuals of how the game is going to look like or you guys used CG to make this trailer i HOPE not that way people see how much more power can be pull from the ps3.

+ ISEMAN on April 15th, 2008 at 7:28 am said:

I couldn’t wait for the teaser last week, now I can’t wait for the Full Moon Show. I’m hungry for more info. You guys are pretty good at building some ground roots hype!!!

Needless to say, I’m extremely impressed with what I’ve seen so far!

+ bigdaddyjane on April 15th, 2008 at 7:51 am said:

Resistance 1 was awesome I can only imagine how awesome Resistance 2 is going to be.

+ p-s-3 on April 15th, 2008 at 7:51 am said:

Can we have Bots on the 4 player off-line Split-screen mode please??? ;)
Didn’t have any Bots on R1 :(

+ Carl on April 15th, 2008 at 7:58 am said:

Looks absolutely awesome. Great work Insomniac, and i will absolutely put down a preorder on this game as soon as it is available to do so.

The trailer is stunning, and it truly sent a shiver down my spine when Hale said he has 19hours to live.

I notice the voice actor for Hale is different…Good choice i think. On the rare occasion when Hale actually spoke in Resistance 1, i thought the voice didn’t suit the face. I think this new voice does.

Does Hale actualyl speak in this one or does he continue being a mute his while life?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on April 15th, 2008 at 2:24 pm said:

Actually, David Kaye is continuing to provide the voice for Nathan Hale. :-)

+ Carl on April 15th, 2008 at 7:59 am said:

Or even his whole life

+ Bender Rodriguez on April 15th, 2008 at 8:28 am said:

There is one small thing that bothered me about the first game. That’s the water. The water in R1 was terrible. Hopefully you guys have worked on that. If there’s two things game devs can’t get right a lot it’s water and fire. Although Naughty Dog did pretty much get water right with Uncharted.

Anyway R2 still looking forward to it. Hopefully there won’t be any quit penalty.

+ PSFaithful on April 15th, 2008 at 8:37 am said:

This will likely be the first Gametrailers TV episode that I tune in to see live vs. just waiting for them to upload it on the site! Can’t wait til the 13th! Though I guess I’ll have to take a break from MGS4 in order to catch the show!

+ Raul_7 on April 15th, 2008 at 8:42 am said:

Thanks for the update.

I am not a big fan of FPS games, but i loved Resistance, and i am definitely going to buy R2. :)

+ reson8er on April 15th, 2008 at 9:21 am said:

I need a rather large bucket to hold all the drool I’m producing, can’t wait :D

+ ghamdikh1 on April 15th, 2008 at 9:59 am said:

@James Stevenson
We heard roamers that this game going to have religion symbols (church …..) is that true.

+ DDBdestroyer on April 15th, 2008 at 10:02 am said:

dammit… you guys in PR sure know how to hype a game – im getting this on launch day :P – looks absolutely incredible!

+ blkant on April 15th, 2008 at 10:14 am said:

don’t kill Mr. Hale =( the only good fps main character, ever. =(

+ Mitsugeta on April 15th, 2008 at 11:05 am said:

Well my other question is can you give us any details on the new Chimeran enemies? Or are we going to have to wait until the 13th for that?

+ serversurfer on April 15th, 2008 at 11:44 am said:

I agree that the footage appears to be in-engine, but I have to say that James’ silence on the matter is deafening…

Perhaps we’ll get confirmation in Thursday’s Full Moon Show?

+ sascha23 on April 15th, 2008 at 11:45 am said:

Wow! People are chomping at the bit for more Resistance 2. I’m sure the Insomniac staff are pleased as punch to see the massive response.

Looking very forward to it. I’d say it’s in my top 5 games I must own in 2008.

From my avatar, you can tell what took the number one spot. ;)

+ Asshandler on April 15th, 2008 at 12:06 pm said:

Terrific teaser, you’ve set the expectations sky high… I hope you folks can deliver.

I’ll be there day one to judge for myself.

+ CLauX on April 15th, 2008 at 1:41 pm said:

Hey james, have any idea if this will be in 1080p?

i would LOVE to download a 1080p version of it. because the 720p GT one looks not as great as well, PS store MP4 versions.

awesome, can’t wait til june 13th!
[friday the 13th… ooo scary]

+ frost8080 on April 15th, 2008 at 1:43 pm said:

Resistance 2 will be the game of the year

+ Makasu on April 15th, 2008 at 1:50 pm said:

Agreed :)

+ Scodo_Thope on April 15th, 2008 at 1:52 pm said:

Very nice. My first game was R1 (came with the PS3). My first game I bought was R&C TOD. My next purchase, R2. Incredible games, keep up the good work.

PS: You guys wouldn’t happen to be looking for an over achieving Network Engineer with lots of telecom background. I learn quick. And don’t eat many donuts ?? ;

+ maluraq on April 15th, 2008 at 1:57 pm said:

Who cares if its CGI? I heard people whine about Motorstorm’s CGI trailer and the game looks 99% as good. I heard people claim the Ratchet & Clank was CGI and the game looks 100% that good. I heard people going on about Uncharted, and no, the engine looks that good. People made comments about the CGI trailer for Lair and yet the game really did look like that, at 1080p.

The PS3 doesn’t have a “history” of CGI trailer issues at all, what are you all going on about? This is Insomniac, not some nameless company that gave you a game with only 640 vertical lines of resolution and upscaled it.

+ TouchyEd on April 15th, 2008 at 2:11 pm said:

Who cares if it’s CGI?!? Are you daft?

Because any company can produce a video that looks great in CGI. It doesn’t mean that the game will come out looking anywhere near as good.

…and sorry…but the PS3 definitely has a history of CGI Trailer issues. Ever hear of a little game called Killzone 2?

+ pr1m3_5u5p3ct on April 15th, 2008 at 2:23 pm said:

Killzone 2 also comes out around the september date. Do you think that will hurt sales at all?

+ Darkdrium777 on April 15th, 2008 at 2:37 pm said:

@136: The only issue with the CGI trailer of Killzone 2 is someone made the mistake of saying it was real time instead of pre-rendered… Still, the game is pretty much spot on with the CGI if you ask me, just like Motorstorm was. Sure it doesn’t look exactly like it, but it still looks pretty incredible, which is how I remeber the CGI looked too.

+ tagout on April 15th, 2008 at 5:09 pm said:

@ James Stevenson

Using the Ratchet and Clank engine, will there be destroyable environment?

Are you guys the using an improved version of Ratchet and Clank engine or the same engine as the one in Ratchet and Clank?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on April 16th, 2008 at 4:06 pm said:

It\’s the latest generation of the Insomniac Engine, which was used for RFOM and RCF:TOD. Obviously we continue to improve it and add new stuff.

+ SILV3R_ on April 15th, 2008 at 6:47 pm said:

JS..
I love the sound effect to those big (atomic) explosions at the horizon. Everytime I watch this tiny teaser I mimic that atomic explosions. BooM

Can you tell me if the game will be on 5.1 or 7.1 DTS-HD?

SILV3R_

+ Danny on April 15th, 2008 at 9:42 pm said:

Stupid Questions: will the 60 player online have co-op split screen & vehicles?

+ mony24 on April 16th, 2008 at 3:02 pm said:

LOOKS TIGHT CANT WAIT TILL IT DROPS

+ TheGraciousOne on April 16th, 2008 at 4:42 pm said:

You promised Bryan Intihar comments, where are they!

+ casey on April 16th, 2008 at 5:21 pm said:

can people who haven’t played the first one still be able to get involved with the second.

+ pdias_92 on April 16th, 2008 at 5:57 pm said:

So sweet … Im buying

+ Odin_vaizard on April 16th, 2008 at 8:59 pm said:

I play a lot of FPS put non of them Sucked me in like RFOM I am just out of word I really congratu on these amazing game pre order it right away
-A man with 19 hour to live
-8 co op
-60 players on line divided to squad
-Amazing SSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY
-Human+ Chimera+ Cloven+ The Sentinels+black ops

+ saiyanknight87 on April 17th, 2008 at 2:22 am said:

First Off James Thanks For Reply To Most Of The Comments, I’m extremely excited with the upcoming R2 Game and I’m hoping there’s more to come it’s definitely become a PS3 classic RFOM:1 but I’m curious.
1. Will the 8 player co-op be available in anyway like warhawk where you can just jump-in anytime???

2. Will there be any Customizable Characters for the Multiplayer something as of the First RFOM?

3.Any word or any other Players being Available To Play with??

Thanks and I’ll reserve this game when I can this looks like another promising PS3 title congrats and keep up the good work thanks!!!

+ odz on April 17th, 2008 at 7:55 am said:

So what does R2 bring that I haven’t seen b4?

+ BxFinest369 on April 18th, 2008 at 1:05 pm said:

OMG I think I s*** my pants

+ Dark_Vincent on April 19th, 2008 at 6:00 pm said:

I’m playing through RFOM for the first time this week (yeah I’m behind on times!) and damn I can safely say that this, along with Uncharted, have been my best videogame experiences in like 10 years (and I don’t even like FPS usually, mind you). R2 will deliver for sure!!
However I do have a question for JS and the people from Insomniac Games. Will R2 award the original RFOM players with any extra content? Like using RFOM saved data’s progress to deliver secret features to old timers?