PS4-Watch_Dogs

Feeling Puzzled? echochrome Demo Coming to PSN

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar + Posted by Kumi Yuasa on Apr 23, 2008 // Producer, SCEA

Hello PlayStation.Blog Readers! My name is Kumi Yuasa and I am the Associate Producer for the upcoming PSN game echochrome. This is my first post on the blog, and I’m excited that my debut here on the blog is to announce that free PS3 and PSP echochrome demos will be available for download tomorrow on the PlayStation Store on the PS3. The PSP demo version will also be available for download on the PlayStation Store for PC.

Perhaps you have read about echochrome here, here, here or even here. There is a lot of excitement for it – N’Gai Croal of Level Up even wrote, “…as of last E3, the 2008 game we’ve been looking forward to the most is echochrome.”

It’s a fun and addictive puzzle game with really elegant and simple graphics. The concept is inspired by the famous MC Escher artwork, which explores infinity, architecture and impossible constructions. In echochrome, you control the camera and perspective on an infinite canvas, guiding a mannequin figure by carefully tilting and turning the level to create a continual pathway, allowing your character to walk safely through the design. Puzzled?!? Check out this video and you’ll see what I mean!

There is no single way to get through a level in echochrome. You and your friends will find different ways to clear levels so each time you play will be different.

The demos you can download tomorrow will take you through a brief tutorial and give you the basic idea of how to progress through the puzzles, but I wanted to also tell you what to expect when the final game is available for download in May. In addition to the 56 exclusive levels for each of the PS3 and PSP versions of echochrome (112 unique levels overall), you will be able to create your own puzzles from scratch and share them with your friends, or even the world!

On PS3, you can upload your created levels to the developers through the game’s interface. Once uploaded, your creation will be considered by the developers for a future downloadable content release. In other words, if selected, people around the world could be playing your level!! Additional content will be available from Day 1. Initially, however, these levels will come from Japan or Asia since the game has been out there for a while already. We’re not exactly sure when we’ll start including US players’ levels, but we’re excited and waiting for customized levels from all of you!! You can also share the levels with your friends by sending your creations directly to them over the PlayStation Network. Stumping your friends is REALLY fun!

And for the PSP version, you can share the levels you create with other people in your area via wireless Ad Hoc. Cool, right?!?

Well, there will be more to come on echochrome soon, including some great wallpapers for your PS3 and PSP. But in the meantime, be sure to download the free demos tomorrow and give them a whirl! And let us know what you think!

+ Sakimori_X on April 23rd, 2008 at 3:19 pm said:

Schweet!!

+ chasegamez on April 23rd, 2008 at 3:20 pm said:

will this game support custom sound tracks

+ enewtabie on April 23rd, 2008 at 3:24 pm said:

Excellent news..I’ve played the japanese version a little and I can’t wait to try it again.

+ diablo103 on April 23rd, 2008 at 3:31 pm said:

cool cant waite

+ Squamden on April 23rd, 2008 at 3:35 pm said:

Who recorded the soundtrack for this game? It’s fantastic.

+ sweetasman01 on April 23rd, 2008 at 3:37 pm said:

When is it going to be released in PAL regions?

+ Daver on April 23rd, 2008 at 3:51 pm said:

Nice! is it the same that the one on the Japanese playstation store? because i tried it and it was very fun and addictive :) Cant wait to get my hands on the full version
Great work!

+ Daver on April 23rd, 2008 at 3:53 pm said:

Sorry for my other post… i didnt read all the comments before writting mine (it was already answered)

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar

+ Kumi Yuasa on April 23rd, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

No worries, Daver. : ) We\’ll wait for your created levels when we release the full version!

+ NAZAR on April 23rd, 2008 at 4:06 pm said:

Kumi, I played echochrome demo from Honk-Kong store. I really liked it, but it has one problem: sixaxis motion sensor is too slow.

Please, let gamers to adjust it’s speed (in full game). Thank you.

+ NAZAR on April 23rd, 2008 at 4:10 pm said:

….Hong-Kong :-)

+ jazzagers on April 23rd, 2008 at 4:26 pm said:

So does anyone know when Macs will be capable of using the online store? I have to go through a process where I bring my old Dell out of retirement and it’s not pretty.

+ TristanMike on April 23rd, 2008 at 4:27 pm said:

Hi Kumi Yuasa,

A few questions if you don’t mind.

Is there any major reason you didn’t make just one version of the game ?

Does the PS3 version support remote play ?

Is there going to be retail version of this game because I’m not too keen on downloadable anything if I can’t keep a hard copy.

I just think about 10 years when I can’t access the games I’ve paid for….. despite what you all may think, I actually still do breakout and play my Atari from time to time and appreciate my “actual” games (rather than digital information).

Thanks for your time and really, echochrome looks to be one of the most original and fun games that I’ve seen in a long while.

+ marvelmanson on April 23rd, 2008 at 4:31 pm said:

This is a very interesting game, but I tried the demo and was bored to death.

Nice to see so many enjoyed it and the price is nice too.

+ superbone547 on April 23rd, 2008 at 4:35 pm said:

Echochrome is one of the few puzzlers that has really caught my attention and made me want to put money towards it. If only portal was $10, then I’d pick that up too…

It’s good to see that the versions are well differentiated, but will there be a discounted combo pack conaining both versions availible as well or will I have to buy them seperately?

+ the6one on April 23rd, 2008 at 4:39 pm said:

the6one…….

Hey Sony, I trust that you’re going to get everything ready for the year of 2008. Sony, you are the best company and the only company that is invested in computer entertainment. All the other companies are missing this aspect because this company offers a broader range of “entertainment”. GTA 4 should do better on our platform because PS3 is indeed the future. Best wishes to everyone and please, lets get some of these ambitious projects of yours off of the ground and rolling.

SONY…….like.no.other.

the6one……….

+ BlackShadows14 on April 23rd, 2008 at 4:54 pm said:

Nice!! I’m definitely downloading the demo,probably buying the game too.

+ Seba501 on April 23rd, 2008 at 5:29 pm said:

I downloaded the dmo from the japan PSS, and it`s really god. I would buy it when it release but…………….. you know we have not PSN Cards.

We Need it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ rAdIOhEaD73 on April 23rd, 2008 at 5:29 pm said:

1) Why did it take you so long to bring the game here? it’s been out form months now in Japan/Asia, it’s no like this game needed localization or anything.
2) Why won’t you sell an UMD version for the PSP as you do in Japan/Asia?

You should take American market more serious…

+ outkast32 on April 23rd, 2008 at 5:53 pm said:

why doesnt the game let you have FULL control when moving things into position. It sorta skips and takes you a while to place something where you want it. will this be fixed? or is it part of the gameplay?

+ thatsmartguywiththefro on April 23rd, 2008 at 5:54 pm said:

@68
They probably did this to be closer to the U.S. full release. The demo was released early in Japan because they also got the full game earlier.

+ ftwrthtx on April 23rd, 2008 at 6:09 pm said:

So we will have to purchase the game twice if we want it on the PSP and the PS3???

+ Jackal888 on April 23rd, 2008 at 6:21 pm said:

Great game, I love that you can share levels with friends through Ad-Hoc, PSN mail or email. I await user made levels. Can you change the game from white color scheme to black?

+ zeel on April 23rd, 2008 at 7:01 pm said:

@21

will future developements alow this in the future? cuz that would be sweeeeeeeet!

or maby somebody with programing skill will make a third party converter

+ Clinton514 on April 23rd, 2008 at 7:08 pm said:

This game frightens me for some reason. But I’m compelled to try it. :lol: Sharing levels is definitely a selling point too.

+ oreo on April 23rd, 2008 at 8:05 pm said:

wow, I think this ranks right up there among “the most comments answered” list.
she even answers repeated questions.

great job on your first post Kumi-san!

+ effy on April 23rd, 2008 at 8:08 pm said:

Why do the Japanese get a UMD version of this on psp and we don’t? i would rather have a physical copy of it for psp not just a download…Any UMD version coming over here?

+ gardea on April 23rd, 2008 at 8:17 pm said:

Looks good. I like these kind of games.

Will the PSP version work on PS3 (vise versa)

+ simcore on April 23rd, 2008 at 8:27 pm said:

Will the demo be available for all Regions, ie including Australia and New Zealand from the same date?

+ crazypenguin on April 23rd, 2008 at 8:40 pm said:

i would say i’d get this game ASAP, but the problem is that the PSN cards are not in my reach yet…and i really don’t feel like getting another american express gift card. about how much memory will the psp version take up anyway?

+ tha_con on April 23rd, 2008 at 9:05 pm said:

This is excellent. It would be *really* great if there were some echochrome avatars for use with my PSN Account. Perhaps that is something that could come in the future, as I’m growing a bit tired of my pine cone.

+ Bender Rodriguez on April 23rd, 2008 at 9:25 pm said:

Finally. I wasn’t able to create a Japan account, so I still didn’t play the demo. I’m intrigued. Don’t know if it’ll be my type of game or not. That’s why I’m there for the demo. The DLC being free is another plus.

+ EktorOni on April 23rd, 2008 at 9:33 pm said:

I would also love if some echochrome avatars were added for use with my PSN account. Recently, a pity batch of 10 new avatars were added…too few.

+ Resolver1 on April 23rd, 2008 at 9:43 pm said:

Echochrome avatars would be nice. My egg shaped guy is tired of my eyes looking at him.

+ erico316 on April 23rd, 2008 at 9:43 pm said:

this game is so dam good this is a some fresh something new and something great.Please sony keep looking for games that are new,fresh the playstation brand mean to me many types of games .Also any word on mega man legend for the psp coming to the usa?

+ Raziel Dune on April 23rd, 2008 at 10:12 pm said:

Sweet Deal

+ SDkngsht on April 23rd, 2008 at 10:25 pm said:

wait wait WAIT!

we can create our own levels to share? when did this happen? is this new news? i haven’t heard anything about this! man…this officially just became a top priority.

i was already looking forward to this game but now you guys have just taken it to the next level. i’ll definitely have the demo tomorrow and can’t wait to be able to get my hands on the full version.

this and little big planet are hands down the two most innovative and creative games to come to life in years.

+ erico316 on April 23rd, 2008 at 10:26 pm said:

also i would like to know for the psp will it be on a umd disc or sold by the store.will its have game sharing any ad hoc support for trading levels?

+ wyldekat on April 23rd, 2008 at 10:38 pm said:

cool.

add me on PSN

wyldekat

+ 40cal on April 23rd, 2008 at 11:01 pm said:

Echochrome demo tomorrow. :) just so happens to be my day off. :)

I have been looking forward to this game for almost a year now.

Can we please get a patch in the future for cross-compatibility between PSP and PS3? thanks.

Also great news that we can save created levels to a Memory Stick. I have 2 gigs in my phone and 4 gigs in my PSP.

+ skaterricky on April 23rd, 2008 at 11:22 pm said:

Looking forward to Creating Levels for everyone :D

I agree with #89 40cal… with the patch in the future for cross-compatibillity between PSP and PS3.. but I know there will be a limit to that but it would be still cool to have that limit.

Also I’ll enjoy playing echochrome throw remote play also on my PS3 :D… because sometimes my girl wants to watch TV and you know us guys we love to just play some games 24/7 ;)

Look on the lookout on PSN: Skater_Ricky on creating tha shiznit of creatativity.

+ APaz on April 23rd, 2008 at 11:33 pm said:

Looks interesting.

+ Kenshin001 on April 24th, 2008 at 6:49 am said:

Why is there no demo on the PAL store? Why are SCEE so far behind SCEA? Do they send all the mentally challenged Sony employees to Europe?

+ bluejada on April 24th, 2008 at 7:05 am said:

I can’t wait to show this to my daughter. I think we are going to have a great time with this game. I love the idea of how your perspective can change your reality.

+ drkrjones on April 24th, 2008 at 7:13 am said:

What time can we expect the demo?

+ SLICKT8000 on April 24th, 2008 at 7:51 am said:

I guess you guys are wimps to hear the truth not posting any of my Rants at your SONY company LOL

+ buri0819 on April 24th, 2008 at 8:01 am said:

ZZZZ!! Where are ps1 games

+ bling_singh on April 24th, 2008 at 8:33 am said:

Hi, my biggest hope with this game was that there was going to be cross-compatibility between PSP and PS3 version x_x. I really believe that it would have made this game amazing in terms of its reach and flexibility.

will there at least be Remote Play?

+ Snap on April 24th, 2008 at 8:35 am said:

Please, please give us Command & Conquer for PS1. Please?

+ SpyroLuver88 on April 24th, 2008 at 8:39 am said:

I just wanted to take a second to thank you, Kumi for responding to our posts. Even those who can’t be bothered to read at least your comments so they don’t repeat questions…lol You are starting out on the right foot.
I have the Japanese demo and feel this is an innovative game. And I love the fact that we can share levels.
My question is the same as many others. Will the PS3 version support the remote play feature?

+ terminatorvsmtrx on April 24th, 2008 at 8:53 am said:

i played the japanese demo and the controls were definitely in need of some major tweaking.. i hope you guys fix the controls before the release because the game was really promising