PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Feeling Puzzled? echochrome Demo Coming to PSN

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar + Posted by Kumi Yuasa on Apr 23, 2008 // Producer, SCEA

Hello PlayStation.Blog Readers! My name is Kumi Yuasa and I am the Associate Producer for the upcoming PSN game echochrome. This is my first post on the blog, and I’m excited that my debut here on the blog is to announce that free PS3 and PSP echochrome demos will be available for download tomorrow on the PlayStation Store on the PS3. The PSP demo version will also be available for download on the PlayStation Store for PC.

Perhaps you have read about echochrome here, here, here or even here. There is a lot of excitement for it – N’Gai Croal of Level Up even wrote, “…as of last E3, the 2008 game we’ve been looking forward to the most is echochrome.”

It’s a fun and addictive puzzle game with really elegant and simple graphics. The concept is inspired by the famous MC Escher artwork, which explores infinity, architecture and impossible constructions. In echochrome, you control the camera and perspective on an infinite canvas, guiding a mannequin figure by carefully tilting and turning the level to create a continual pathway, allowing your character to walk safely through the design. Puzzled?!? Check out this video and you’ll see what I mean!

There is no single way to get through a level in echochrome. You and your friends will find different ways to clear levels so each time you play will be different.

The demos you can download tomorrow will take you through a brief tutorial and give you the basic idea of how to progress through the puzzles, but I wanted to also tell you what to expect when the final game is available for download in May. In addition to the 56 exclusive levels for each of the PS3 and PSP versions of echochrome (112 unique levels overall), you will be able to create your own puzzles from scratch and share them with your friends, or even the world!

On PS3, you can upload your created levels to the developers through the game’s interface. Once uploaded, your creation will be considered by the developers for a future downloadable content release. In other words, if selected, people around the world could be playing your level!! Additional content will be available from Day 1. Initially, however, these levels will come from Japan or Asia since the game has been out there for a while already. We’re not exactly sure when we’ll start including US players’ levels, but we’re excited and waiting for customized levels from all of you!! You can also share the levels with your friends by sending your creations directly to them over the PlayStation Network. Stumping your friends is REALLY fun!

And for the PSP version, you can share the levels you create with other people in your area via wireless Ad Hoc. Cool, right?!?

Well, there will be more to come on echochrome soon, including some great wallpapers for your PS3 and PSP. But in the meantime, be sure to download the free demos tomorrow and give them a whirl! And let us know what you think!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ 2manyquestions on April 24th, 2008 at 9:09 am said:

thanks 4 the update cant wait 4 the game!!!

+ tatsuya08 on April 24th, 2008 at 9:38 am said:

TANOSHIMI!!!

+ willacuz on April 24th, 2008 at 9:40 am said:

Test

+ mobiletone on April 24th, 2008 at 10:13 am said:

this has to be the lamest thing to hit the store ever.

had the japanese demo for months too.

+ 010 on April 24th, 2008 at 10:42 am said:

I’ve been waiting for this game for a while, buying it day one. You should probably give it to me for free though.

+ GonzoBobH on April 24th, 2008 at 12:07 pm said:

Not to sound like a parrot, but I too downloaded the demo weeks ago from the Japanese site and had a blast playing it.

Very original and mildly insane ~ winning combo for a winning game. Can’t wait for the full version.

+ bigdaddyjane on April 24th, 2008 at 12:07 pm said:

I’ll download the demo when i’m ready

+ Xyavid on April 24th, 2008 at 12:08 pm said:

Hi Kumi ! In Europe, is the PSP version of echochrome will be available on UMD, or it will be downloadable from the PlayStation Store on PC ? Also, is the PS3 european version of echochrome will cost 7.99€ or (I hope it don’t) it will cost much ? Thanks to answer !

+ Schitthammer on April 24th, 2008 at 1:52 pm said:

SLICKT8000, you need to seriously re-think your life if you feel the need to come here and spam garbage. I mean, what exactly are you trying to accomplish by this? Have a quick laugh?

It’s really ignorant.

+ Zad on April 24th, 2008 at 2:01 pm said:

This game looks like it actually will be a lot of fun. Puzzles are always a good distraction. Can’t wait for the demo.

+ Schitthammer on April 24th, 2008 at 2:12 pm said:

So let me get this straight… You’re at the computer, giggling like a schoolgirl because you are posting spam on a blog, and you’re wife is at the other end of the trailer telling you to stop.

Hmm, might be a good idea to listen to the wife on this one. :)

+ SLICKT8000 on April 24th, 2008 at 2:16 pm said:

Can’t you bloggers block me already how hard is that???? I’m waiting! Wait I forgot Your DELAYERS LOL

+ MidgetguyII on April 24th, 2008 at 7:33 pm said:

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I can’t wait! I’ll download the demo as soon as I can! : )

Thanks for the update, and I look forward to seeing more news on Echochrome!

+ sigma003 on April 25th, 2008 at 9:56 am said:

I have been waiting for this game forever!! I am so excited about it. So when I finally download the demo, it doesn’t work!! What is going on!! not cool!!!

+ bluejada on April 25th, 2008 at 1:44 pm said:

I downloaded the demo this morning- no problems. Great game. Wish there were more levels to try in the demo though.

+ -umopapisdn- on April 25th, 2008 at 2:40 pm said:

love the game….but will we be able to play are owe music off the hdd on the ps3 v of the game? that would be a good idea don’t see that much on ps3 games right now.. thx

+ Bullfye on April 25th, 2008 at 3:20 pm said:

Why don’t all game developers include customizable controls in their games. Look at echochrome a beautiful and soothing game that had me worked up into a rage inside five minutes because I couldn’t flip the axis. Yes, I know I can use motion controls but thats not the same, and beside the point.

+ Tigercat212 on April 25th, 2008 at 7:42 pm said:

Hello Kumi Yuasa,

Just a few questions. Will the PSP version feature any infrastructural integration? Also, will there be downloadable content in the PSP version.

Lastly, I know you said that next week you would probably release a release date for both versions. Well, what day can we expect the news to come?

Many thanks,
Tigercat212

+ Jeg4x2 on April 26th, 2008 at 7:54 am said:

This is the BEST game! How does it work?

+ wholearmor on April 26th, 2008 at 9:45 am said:

i saw videos on this game and its really cool it allows deeper concentration and an illusion type focus cool game I’m going to try the demo.

PAGE 1 2 3