Farpoint

Apr 25

Apr 25

New, free Hot Shots Golf features available now

Chris Hinojosa-Miranda's Avatar Posted by Producer

Being just one day shy from a much needed weekend — isn’t every weekend a needed weekend? – I’m sure many of you have already penned in various activities in your filofax/pda/napkin/bathroom mirror/etc; and while I’m not here to judge how the quality (or legality) of your weekend plans, I am here to let you know that if there are some time gaps between your fun-doing, you can fill it up with some serious Hot Shots Golf online action.

So what’s with all the noise? Simply put, it’s the much awaited (and promised) Stroke and Match Online Play download patch that is making its way around the wired – for FREE! No coupons necessary, no forms to fill, no seminar to attend… it’s gratis (free). To take advantage of this very-berry unlimited offer, follow the steps below.

* Note: please make sure to have a valid PSN account and to be logged on prior to download.

So what’s in the new menu item you ask? First of all, this new Online feature will let you roam about the course as you see fit, taunt other golfers while you wait your turn, and be magically transported back to your spot once it’s your turn – – and of course, this new feature will also take advantage of all the HSG rules you’ve come to love and expect.

Also, we’ve been really happy to see the crazy avatar combinations you’ve come up with, so to mix it up a bit, we’ll be adding some more items as we move along… but in the meantime, we’ve thrown in a soccer balls in a couple of the lobbies to get you guys going on some impromptu footie action.

Meanwhile, back at the hamster ranch…
Some of you might have experienced some server issues in the past few weeks – and we’ve noticed them too! So to mend this we’ve fed the server hamsters and greased the wheels; things should be running a lot smoother now.

That is all for now today, but keep an eye out for more Hot Shots Golf news on DLC content – – till then, see you here, or there or maybe even over there.

Add Your Own

TouchyEd said:

April 25th, 10:16 am

Until there’s voice chat, unfortunately, I won’t own the Hot Shots Golf disc to put in my PS3.

romoleonard said:

April 25th, 10:20 am

Yea, no voice chat…horrible! Thanks for the patch though!

Makasu said:

April 25th, 10:21 am

Thanks for the update! One question, japan has gotten 2 DLC characters and 1 new course. The course is on the disc allready and can just be bought/unlocked, but only in japan. When will eu/us be able to get these? And also how will dlc-characters be ranked? Pro’s?

Thanks.

Chris Hinojosa-Miranda's Avatar

Chris Hinojosa-Miranda said:

April 25th, 11:20 am

Dear Makasu – please stop being a spy and leaking DLC news before I get a chance to – – that is what we call \”stealing thunder\”. :)

Seriously though, you brought up a great point and I\’m happy to say that we will be releasing the characters and courses in the US, but as far as more details, you\’ll just have to wait a bit more.

spunnups said:

April 25th, 10:23 am

i really wish it had voice chat- is it possible to patch something like that?

Chris Hinojosa-Miranda's Avatar

Chris Hinojosa-Miranda said:

April 25th, 11:26 am

Possible? Perhaps. Again, to all inquiring about a Voice Chat feature: we\’re seriously considering it , and the teams are looking into how to best implement this feature. We\’ll keep everyone posted on news regarding this feature.

depward said:

April 25th, 10:31 am

Thanks for the improvements – love the game!

Snap said:

April 25th, 10:38 am

The lack of voice chat is great actually. If you’ve played any of the tournaments you’d see that generally people are civil but I have tons of screen shots from people using racial slurs, homophobic slurs, etc. Thankfully there isn’t any voice chat because then I’d have to listen to these people.

PSN has horrible voice chat support. There is no ability to directly mute certain people, no method for reporting abusive users, no method for rating people, no privacy options to mute everyone but people on your friends list. When it comes to voice chat Xbox Live does it very, very well. It has all of these voice features and more. Until PSN actually learns how to implement voice chat I’d prefer they don’t bother with it.

SPARDA said:

April 25th, 10:43 am

Sounds great.
But give me voice chat and I wll pick up this game in a heart beat.

PS: does at least support private games with friends only??

Chris Hinojosa-Miranda's Avatar

Chris Hinojosa-Miranda said:

April 25th, 11:34 am

Private games are all the rage these days – and you can set up your own little VIP room to host matches for all your friends, close relatives and business execs you\’re looking to close deals with.

So without Voice Chat, you\’d pick it up in… three heart beats?

mercury187 said:

April 25th, 10:56 am

wheres the demo? This game’s been out how long and there is no demo on the psn? what the F sony?

Schitthammer said:

April 25th, 10:57 am

Thanks for the update Chris, looking forward to playing it later this evening!

OldManGaming said:

April 25th, 11:03 am

free is good, very good.

Chris, pretty funny post too :)

Jimb0 said:

April 25th, 11:08 am

One of the best games of 2008, seriously.

Anyone who hasn’t played online and totally loved it, is lacking a soul.

Jeigh said:

April 25th, 11:08 am

That sucks! I hate free stuff! I demand you slap a price tag on it! XD Thanks for the upgrades. I plan to pick up this up REALLY soon.

And as for that Hawaiiaiaian(sp? :P) Punch commercial: wow… just… wow.

maluraq said:

April 25th, 11:10 am

No voice chat is actually excellent. The pick-a-comment list allows messages to be auto-translated to everyone’s local language, there’s no stupid music playing by other users, and I don’t have to worry about racial slurs or swearing when I’m playing online with my 6yo daughter in the room.

Why you’d want to voice-chat in this game is beyond me, since you all tee off simultaneously and its not like you have any real time to chat unless you’re on the VERY slow holes.

Toast said:

April 25th, 11:27 am

This just might get me to go pick up hot shots to have something to do pre gta4…

liked the game on ps2…so maybe…just maybe

JinRamen said:

April 25th, 11:32 am

Love this game! Free DLC is great as well. I agree with Snap about the voice chat. I only wish that if you form your own lobby with friends voice chat was available. I do miss being able to mix and match costumes like in HSG Open Tee. Otherwise great game bought it the day it came out.

Makasu said:

April 25th, 11:32 am

Thanks Chris! Really looking forward to it!

EvoAnubis said:

April 25th, 11:38 am

Well, Chris, you told me to buy the game, and I did. It is awesome, and this update makes it even better.

Can’t wait to see what comes next!

frito said:

April 25th, 11:42 am

I really enjoy the new detailed backgrounds and goofy gameplay- this is the best Hot Shots yet!

thanks for this free content!

It’s refreshing to see developers using DLC as community building free DL’s.

It really adds more incentive to buying a game if you see the developers respect the consumers enough to offer “support” in the way of add-ons and fun new mods, maps, characters, etc. etc.

(as opposed to nickel and diming every bit of add-on DLC)

thanks!

***********************************************
QUESTION FOR YA CHRIS!
***********************************************

Is it true the future DLC you referenced (and will be charging us for) is already stored on the retail disc itself?

if yes, can the features be unlocked through actual gameplay AND/OR paying for them to be unlocked?

because if the only option to unlock the “new” content is to pay for it…

well then I call SHENANIGANS!

if it’s on the disc, it is ours, as we already paid for it! I know the majority of gamers feel the way I do about this..

please tell us you won’t be double charging us to play this great game!

it would really tarnish your image in mine and many other’s eyes in the blogosphere and online forums.

so once again thanks for the great game, and sorry I had to bring this up, but it’s important!

thanks for any response!

Makasu said:

April 25th, 12:00 pm

I dont mind paying for courses, doesnt matter if they are on the disc or not, i just want them :)

jcolls said:

April 25th, 12:21 pm

Hi Chris, I’m from the UK and have Everybody’s Golf – World Tour. Will this version of the game be getting the DLC?

agenttrav said:

April 25th, 12:27 pm

Any chance of some custom soundtracks anytime soon? Not that the game music is awful…but, umm…the game music is awful. Pleeeeease make custom soundtracks a reality!

mercury187 said:

April 25th, 12:58 pm

Chris Hinojosa-Miranda: Is there going to be a demo of Hot Shots Golf for those that would like to try it in order to make a decision if they want to buy it?

davehyunch said:

April 25th, 1:13 pm

Chris, thanks for the info. I’ve played Hot Shots 1 through 5 and loved every one of them. I was wondering, is there a way to play online in real time so that I can see my opponents shots?

I just can’t figure out how to do this. When I play one-on-one in stroke or match play, I would prefer to watch every shot (it makes a difference). If it’s not possible, is it something that could be added? Thanks.

Makasu said:

April 25th, 1:34 pm

@23. This is what the new patch does :) atleast when you play against a friend, not for tournaments (would take too long)

darkiewonder said:

April 25th, 1:39 pm

can you guys like switch the Default Virtual Keyboard to the full layout one? it’s hard to chat with the multi-tap one.

enrichovega said:

April 25th, 1:40 pm

Personally…If not for the demo…I would not have purchased this game. Last I checked sales were around the 50K mark here in the U.S. which I guarantee would QUADRUPLE should the demo be released here as well.

MrCamo said:

April 25th, 1:46 pm

@ Chris:

I see the voice chat issue has been brought up, just so my voice is heard, please add voice chat, and make it a protocall for the PS3 online games. I come from a system design background for home automation and if a product does not fulfill a list of requirements, we do not sell it. Your game developers should have to adhere to a list of requirements that would make the PS3 experience more uniform online and off.
An example would be:
1) Support Home
2)Support 1n G@me You Know What
3)Support voice chat for onine play
4) Support In Game Video Chat
i know some games would not make sense to add voice chat, and a developer would need to submit a form or proposal explaining their reason for breaking protocall prior to going gold.
No complaints, just a suggestion i am sure you have already thought of…

xmscott said:

April 25th, 1:52 pm

I saw an NPD report that stated that Hot Shots Golf OOB sold 32k its first week or month. Doesnt matter that number is FAR TOO LOW!

Game rules. I welcome more courses and voice chat.

jqtaxpayer said:

April 25th, 1:58 pm

I tend to stick to this single player component of this game, but it’s nice to see companies out there that respond to the marketplace’s demand. In regards to the voice chat options, after being a member of Xbox Live, I’d rather not hear what folks online have to say… so if it DOES get implemented, please don’t forget a mute feature!

And, yeah, I’m anxiously awaiting some new characters and courses myself… like maybe a putt-putt style course with all sorts of wacky obstacles like windmills and Abe Lincoln just for kicks. I already love this game, but that would just send it over the top for me.

frito said:

April 25th, 2:36 pm

hmmm…a Hot Shots Putt-Putt mini course would be great!

great idea, jqtaxpayer!

Del-Vo said:

April 25th, 4:59 pm

I agree (frito), a Putt-Putt or mini golf course would be a great add-on. Hot Shots use to have mini golf then it mysteriously disappeared!

Kedaro said:

April 26th, 1:49 am

I plan on getting this game soon, but I want to secure my staple games first, I’m not much of a golf game fan, other than playing it IRL, and Hot Shots Golf. I don’t know why I don’t attach well with the other golf games, I just simply have the most fun in Hot Shots, so expect my purchase shortly after GTA IV & MGS 4

DaftMav said:

April 26th, 6:10 am

Awesome, but will the EU version (Everbody’s golf) get this too anytime soon? Or do we have to wait 6 months like with some other games…?

bepaof11 said:

April 26th, 7:42 am

I have the game (Disk), but no Broadband. Is there some way I can get the update? Thanks!

DaftMav said:

April 26th, 8:47 am

Also, will the framerate issues be addressed in a patch? The flaming swing when you use the special hits sometimes really slows it down, so much actually that you can’t hit the ball anymore. Making the special balls kinda useless, as they were intended to give you some boost but now just make hitting it nearly impossible.

VipeNess said:

April 26th, 1:43 pm

Hey; please help me with Hot Shots Golf. I have repeatly posted messages on the forums and with no help. I try to create an online game, and I get unable to create room. It has been this way since the beginning of the game, and is still like that in this version as well. I know you are high up there and maybe you can help me out play online and create rooms. Please overlook this note. http://www.thegamershow.com

JEdwards said:

April 26th, 5:45 pm

While you look at voice chat, *please* find a way to increase the maximum number of characters for text entries. It’s obvious there’s room for additional characters on the leaderboard screen between holes. The other thing that would be useful would be the ability to block or mute (suppress text display) while on the leaderboard. There are some very rude people and an “block/ignore” or even “report” type of function would be nice.

chainlink13 said:

April 26th, 7:01 pm

Ummm…..so how does this roaming work? I tried in tournaments…no go…I tried to play a private game…how does it work??

Callahan09 said:

April 27th, 7:58 am

It’s a phenomenal game and I love you guys for making it. Don’t worry about doing anything extra to make me happy, you’ve already made me happy!

abuscemi said:

April 27th, 4:30 pm

Hot Shots is incredible and have been a huge fan since the PS1 games. This game is exceptional – keeps the same feel of the older games with great new features.

A friend of mine just picked up a PS3 and was asking what game to get to play online and the only thing that stopped me from recommending this game is the lack of voice chat. Please, please add this…it is so important to having fun with your buddies when playing this game.

I play HSG-OB with another buddy and we’re big enough dorks to have 360’s too. So we talk through our 360’s while playing Hot Shots. That’s pretty stupid, huh? Lack of voice chat is the only thing from making this game perfect in my mind, please please add.

Also, a nice feature for downloadable content would be characters in previous versions of Hot Shots….just a thought…

krae_man said:

May 1st, 8:00 pm

Any chance of patching the game to prevent shots with perfect impact going extremly astray for no apparent reason?

Might be blue powershot related but not necessarily. Loading screen says blue power shots give you extra power but make sure you get perfect impact or you don’t know where your shot will land.

Well perfect impact shots go extremly astray on me alot and it frustrates the hell out of me.

SlackAlley said:

May 2nd, 3:38 am

Hi, just wanted to say i love the game, (loved it on PSP also) and this was a big reason in me getting a PS3 at last.

I’ve seen the comments on voice chat, and look forward to this possible inclusion. It would add alot to the online aspect, even if (or especially if) it was added to Private Matches. These are obviously where you’d most like to chat with your opponent (and you’re also then not having to worry about making it work with the large numbers that the lobbys have in them).

Please try and get an update out for this, it would add alot to the fun, and would make your game a shining example of how good PS3 online games can be. Thanks :)

krae_man said:

May 3rd, 8:38 am

You guys need to look at the games smut filter. It censors all kinds of words that arnt vulgar in any way. Just last night I found out that the words “after” and “happened” are censored for some strange reason.

But I can happily report that “surprise buttsecks” is not censored :p

ss18 said:

May 19th, 9:04 am

i really miss the MINI GOLF. HSG: FORE had 3 courses, i was excited for the ps3 version hoping to get more courses and maybe even be able to downloaded them. i would pay a few bucks to download minigolf courses!!!