GTAV PS4

Resistance 2 at E3 judges’ day

James Stevenson's Avatar + Posted by James Stevenson on May 16, 2008 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Hey everyone,

Greetings from E3 Judges Day! We’re here at the Roosevelt Hotel right in the center of Hollywood showing the press the biggest PlayStation titles for the year. I’ve had a chance to hang out and play some Killzone 2, Pixeljunk Eden, SOCOM: Confrontation, Little Big Planet and even Buzz PS3, so there are plenty of games for the press to check out. Now, of course, I’m here with Insomniac President and R2 Creative Director Ted Price as well as Assistant Creative Director Colin Munson. We’re talking to key journalists about Resistance 2, plus demoing our new 60-player multiplayer mode called Skirmish. This is the first opportunity for the press to get their hands on the game in the US, and we’re really excited to show off the multiplayer. We think we’re taking one of the best parts of Resistance: FOM to an entirely new level.

Resistance 2

Our philosophy for Resistance 2 multiplayer is “Massive Battles, More Intimacy.” We’re accomplishing this by focusing the 60-player games into battles within battles. This basically means that you should constantly feel like you’re playing an important role in a larger war…every single game. Tying into that are what we’re calling rival squads as well as a rewards system that recognizes just about everything positive you can do in-game. It’s addictive. If you want to hear more about this new mode, you should check the latest episode of our podcast, The Full Moon Show. We talk about all the fun we’ve been having playtesting it over the past few weeks. You can download it at http://www.insomniacgames.com/podcast/podcast.php.

Resistance 2

The multiplayer level we are demoing is set in Scotia, California, which is in the Redwood Forest. One thing we’re really excited about with Resistance 2 is the diversity of the environments across the United States, and we’re definitely taking advantage of it. To prove my point, we’re giving you a glimpse of a few screenshots of one of our single-player levels, Chicago. You’ll see one of our new enemies in these screens, the Grim, as well as some of the advances we’ve made graphically with our lighting technology. We’ll be blowing this level out in the August issue of Gamepro magazine and Resistance fans, you can’t miss it.

Resistance 2

Speaking of screenshots, we know from listening to our fans that you always want more. But have you ever wondered exactly what goes into a screenshot?

They aren’t as easy to take as you might think when the game is in the middle of development. My fellow Community Manager Bryan Intihar just got his first experience of the pain it can be at times, to check out his blog on the matter, click here.

That’s all for now, but Bryan and I will be answering your questions in the comments as always.

JS

PAGE 1 2

+ Agriel on May 16th, 2008 at 1:47 pm said:

omg those screen look nice

+ Ultima-Bahamut on May 16th, 2008 at 1:51 pm said:

Sexxaayyy chimerans.

+ Jenovah on May 16th, 2008 at 1:52 pm said:

OMG AMAZING

+ artofwar420 on May 16th, 2008 at 1:52 pm said:

I see the environments are very, very much improved. Looking good Insomniac.

+ Agriel on May 16th, 2008 at 1:53 pm said:

when can we expect to see a demo on PSN for this game?

And is there only 1 type of mode for the 60 player mode?

+ Sheen on May 16th, 2008 at 1:57 pm said:

Hi James,

It has been known for a while that you guys are taking the massive battles and making smaller ones out of it. I understand that people are put into squads and they are to do specific objectives.

What I have been confused on the last few months is how exactly that is organized. Say there are 3 squads of 10 people on each team. Do the three squads really ever meet up with each other? Does the player feel like they are in a 60 player game, or more like a 20 player game? (Your squad against their squad) What is keeping people from just running and doing whatever they choose, if anything? It could still be chaos, which would be good in ways.

If you could detail on that some more, I would be much more excited for the game. Thanks for the info so far, though!

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 16th, 2008 at 5:24 pm said:

Basically the squads are 4-6 people, and you\’re pared against a Rival Squad of the same size, you\’ll constantly be running into them while trying to complete your objectives.

However, you\’ll also have to help other squads from time to time. And you\’ll intersect with others, so there are definitely moments that are quite frantic and involve much more than just your own squad.

+ nmc75 on May 16th, 2008 at 1:59 pm said:

Amazing screenshots of Resistance 2. Day 1 purchase for me.

+ gbovo on May 16th, 2008 at 2:00 pm said:

Is that the Cloven in the helmet?

+ U-Nooo on May 16th, 2008 at 2:00 pm said:

Good stuff JS ! I can’t wait to get more info on this game. One question though, I see in the RFOM 2 screen shots the player is taking cove. Does this mean that there will be a cover system in RFOM 2 ?

+ XxBigP123xX on May 16th, 2008 at 2:01 pm said:

Cover system confirmed?

+ reson8er on May 16th, 2008 at 2:04 pm said:

Thank goodness for Insomniac. I’m so tired of looking at Unreal Engine built games.

Can’t wait to listen to the Full Moon Show.

+ Money1 on May 16th, 2008 at 2:05 pm said:

cant wait for this game

+ shagg187 on May 16th, 2008 at 2:09 pm said:

Sheen, from what i can tell by reading previews, you can definitely meet up with other squads on your team but it’s not recommended as each squad has it’s own agenda and objective. In some cases though, the objective CAN be to meet up and help the other squad if they are dominated in some way.

+ Jeigh on May 16th, 2008 at 2:16 pm said:

I just listened to the Full Moon show last night- love it, though I think you should point that it would probably be rated “M” for Mature, y’know? :P Hearing about taking screenshots was pretty enlightening though, understandably, I don’t quite get the entire picture (pun not intended, but it’s there :P ). I actually came up with the idea of ‘hey, why not just script the events and then take the shot from there, but of course it dawned on me pretty quickly that scripting out such things takes far too long to be warranted for just a screenshot. I gotta ask- when he threw the controller(s?) did any of them break? Like, what kind of budget are looking at as far as broken controllers go? XP

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 16th, 2008 at 5:30 pm said:

We\’ve broken a few controllers in our day. The prototype PS3 controllers were very fragile, even accidentally dropping them would break them.

But generally we\’re pretty nice to our controllers now. ;-)

+ DarKaoZ on May 16th, 2008 at 2:17 pm said:

I see the 2nd picture and I wonder… Is there a “cover system” now in Resistance?!

It should be nice, I don’t have anything against Cover systems, but a lot of people still be whining and saying stuff.

+ Josue on May 16th, 2008 at 2:38 pm said:

Tnx for all the pics. we really apreciate it, i hope there is more to come.

+ Makasu on May 16th, 2008 at 2:40 pm said:

Wonderful lightning. Is this the new “tech” you guys have been talking about on the podcast?

+ Josue on May 16th, 2008 at 2:41 pm said:

Like DarKaoZ ask, will there be a cover system? please respond.

+ Makasu on May 16th, 2008 at 2:43 pm said:

I noticed that in the second screenshot one of the aliens cast a shadow… Will all enemies/characters cast individual shadows?

+ brentos on May 16th, 2008 at 2:48 pm said:

This looks VERY good. RFOM was badass, Resistance 2 looks even MORE badass.

+ womfalcs3 on May 16th, 2008 at 2:50 pm said:

Will Resistance 2 single player campaign be about as long as Resistance: Fall of Man’s?

+ skater2 on May 16th, 2008 at 2:50 pm said:

JS, will Resistance 2 have vehicles online?

+ eisbrecher on May 16th, 2008 at 2:57 pm said:

Boy I’m glad I got a PS3 :D

+ elmetfano on May 16th, 2008 at 3:10 pm said:

*screams like a little girl* YES YES YES CAN NOT WAIT!

+ NewYork214 on May 16th, 2008 at 3:12 pm said:

cant wait. and the podcast is very funny. think u need to cut the laptop off the cast though doesnt bring anything to the show lol.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on May 16th, 2008 at 5:30 pm said:

I think Marcus would die… he\’s dependent on it.

+ EViD on May 16th, 2008 at 3:13 pm said:

looking good (better than I anticipated actually)
and I see the character taking cover, could it be?

+ Mana Knight on May 16th, 2008 at 3:13 pm said:

This game looks so awesome. Resistance rocked, so I’m even more excited for R2.

+ Thebrain on May 16th, 2008 at 3:19 pm said:

Holy [DELETED]! This stuff looks awesome! Would love to see more but, I guess I will just have to wait..

+ Thebrain on May 16th, 2008 at 3:30 pm said:

I don’t know about these pics!? I need a few new ones! Come one it has to be easy! HAHA

+ dappaute on May 16th, 2008 at 3:30 pm said:

a bit off topic here but, i tried playing the Overlord demo and i get an error saying ” You cannot play this game at the current video output setting (80028f10). Is there a work around solution for this?

+ Starfleets on May 16th, 2008 at 3:32 pm said:

QUESTION

Hi there guys, just a few questions about the game hoping you can do me the pleasure of giving me some feedback.

1. Will there be any dynamic weather in the Online multilayer e.g. rain, sunshine etc

2. Will there be anything similar to Xbox Live’s achievements within the game in preparation for the release of HOME?

Thanks

+ Makasu on May 16th, 2008 at 3:35 pm said:

A bit? :)

+ diablo103 on May 16th, 2008 at 3:39 pm said:

those screens look really cool

+ zanzibarlegend on May 16th, 2008 at 3:51 pm said:

R2 is looking to kick ass and take names! i don’t read gamepro, but im sure some scans will leak on the net with the quickness! i cant wait for fall 08!

+ Phoenix8387 on May 16th, 2008 at 3:51 pm said:

These screens look awesome!
R1 has probably been one of my favorite PS3 titles thus far, and all this news for R2 is just making me salivate even more.
R2 sounds like it could be breaking ground in a couple of ways, I cant wait to hopefully pick up the game later this year!

+ Clover09 on May 16th, 2008 at 3:55 pm said:

GASP! Could that be Nathan Hale in that face mask all geared up taking on the Chimera?

+ Aaron on May 16th, 2008 at 4:10 pm said:

Hello James & Bryan!

I got a question.

I was wondering if you guys plan on releasing a single or multiplayer demo of R2?

Thanks guys!

Aaron

+ skaterricky on May 16th, 2008 at 4:18 pm said:

The New Chimera’s Look like Ravaging Wolf’s Hungry to Feed! I bet they attack like a pack of Wild Wolf’s :D

Question? or more less a wish that will never be requested.

If I had to Pick a Team of Great Game Makers I must say Insomniac Has the over all Hail of Makers Alive! :D

Id pick them to make a Game any day.

I hail the…

Thank you for all the Great Games!

HUGS

PSN: Skater_Ricky :D
Hope to see you in R2 soon!

+ nando92 on May 16th, 2008 at 4:19 pm said:

wow can’t wait!! Web will there be a demo??

+ EvoAnubis on May 16th, 2008 at 4:31 pm said:

*drools*

This is great!

+ Jeigh on May 16th, 2008 at 4:35 pm said:

Guys, it’s way too early to be asking for a demo. Naturally, there will very likely be one in the Fall, but if you listen to the podcast provided in the post (mature content warning, by the way) you’ll find that the game is not ready for demo’ing by any means. That also makes me wonder about how much a game changes between when it is “demoed” and when the actual demo is released. Maybe all those games that give us “the same demo shown months ago” aren’t actually “the same demo”… I really have come to understand the industry a little better listening to the Full Moon Show. Thanks for making it bi-monthly by the way. :D

+ PSN3 on May 16th, 2008 at 5:04 pm said:

The GRIM are looking creepy!!!

Awww I love the atmosphere, such a step forward from the first game.

Great work!

+ P_tear_griffin on May 16th, 2008 at 5:09 pm said:

Just finished listening your latest Full moon podcast. I’m guessing this are the screens you guys were working hard to get for the press. one word to describe them… AWESOME!!!!

+ Reluctant Hero on May 16th, 2008 at 5:11 pm said:

Wow, I’d really like to know what “class” is being featured in that screen shot! I’m also looking forward to whenever Insomniac reveals the full details about each class!

+ TheSlayerIsBack on May 16th, 2008 at 5:33 pm said:

AWESOME i cant wait for this one, the 1st one was great and i expect even more from this addition

+ APaz on May 16th, 2008 at 5:37 pm said:

Looks pretty good.

+ C-h-a-o-s on May 16th, 2008 at 5:39 pm said:

I hope you guys don’t add 60 players to capture the flag, 16 max is great. Please for the love of all that is holy don’t touch the amount of players in Capture the Flag!

Other then that I am excited about the new reqard system (still trying to get all medals still) :( I can’t wait for R2 !!!

+ Callahan09 on May 16th, 2008 at 6:34 pm said:

Hey James, how are you?

Thanks for the new screnshots, the game is lookin gorgeous! I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

As you guys wrap up the project and approach the final push, putting the polish on, have you yet thought of your next project? I can’t help but wonder if we’ll be graced with another wonderful Ratchet & Clank game or some other IP altogether.

Take care!

+ stennex on May 16th, 2008 at 6:46 pm said:

Yow Yow Yow thats some insane graphics! KZ2 need not come out till next year for real. PS3 is da real deal. Thanks for the pics. Hopefully you can get us some video clips too.

PAGE 1 2