PS4-The Order

MGS4 Continues A Year of PS3 Blockbusters

Scott Steinberg's Avatar + Posted by Scott Steinberg on Jun 12, 2008 // VP of Product Marketing

We know that many PlayStation and Metal Gear fans have been waiting for today, and it was a pleasure to premiere Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots to the PS3 software line-up at midnight last night! PlayStation and the Konami team have enjoyed bringing this blockbuster franchise to the PlayStation nation for the last decade, with many of our PlayStation fanbase growing up on the game.

Thanks to PS3’s Blu-ray technology, this is the biggest Metal Gear Solid yet and sets a new benchmark in the gaming industry as the first PS3 game developed on a dual layer Blu-ray disc. This means the Konami team is able to deliver more cutting-edge graphics, more expansive gameplay and more surround sound. Add a DUALSHOCK 3 controller into the mix and you’ll find yourself right in the middle of the action.

PS3 MGS Bundle

For our PS2 enthusiasts, this is a great time to consider upgrading to a PS3 with the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 80GB bundle ($499), which includes the popular 80GB PS3, a copy of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, a DUALSHOCK 3 controller, as well as a free download for the PSN title, PAIN.

With highly anticipated titles such as Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Grand Theft Auto IV and SingStar and with Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, this is only the beginning of an ongoing software avalanche for PS3 that includes titles such as LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM: Confrontation, MotorStorm Pacific Rift and Resistance 2 that only PS3 owners will be able to exclusively enjoy. We look forward to your feedback on Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

160 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ depward on June 12th, 2008 at 4:38 pm said:

Scott – I agree with your post 100%. This is the right attitude; it’s a great opportunity for people to get a PS3 with some great software.

One thing I wanted to specifically mention, though, is to MAKE SURE people can do this. Keep those bundles restocked. Keep them coming. Make it easy for the consumer to hit a store and grab a bundle.

Great stuff so far this year. Really looking forward to the next six months…

+ VenomX on June 12th, 2008 at 4:40 pm said:

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game I have ever played. I have a question though. What happened to the custom soundtracks feature with this game? Is it still coming in some shape or form?

By the way is Little Big Planet coming this year? That game looks incredible.

+ Traveler1990 on June 12th, 2008 at 4:43 pm said:

yeah this is great, i think you guys (SONY) should make the metal gear solid ps3 bundle permanent, it’ll increase sales alot

+ xaos on June 12th, 2008 at 4:45 pm said:

Congrats to all involved; I was at the PS Store at the Metreon this morning and there was a line out the door and more than a few were people walking away with the game/console bundle.

+ joel on June 12th, 2008 at 4:45 pm said:

Hopefully this isnt a limited bundle, because its selling like hotcakes, MGS4 is truley an amazing game, pity reviewers are still attacking it for being a ps3 title.

+ Dark_Vincent on June 12th, 2008 at 4:45 pm said:

Hell yeah! Time to make the PS3 show it’s worthy its legacy :)

+ SeventhAxes on June 12th, 2008 at 4:46 pm said:

Over the past year and half I’ve enjoyed my PS3 purchase, at 00:12 last night, word could not describe how I felt!

And it keeps getting better and better!!! Thanks, and for anyone who hasn’t made the jump yet, now you’ve got no reason not to!

+ eisbrecher on June 12th, 2008 at 4:48 pm said:

If I didn’t buy my PS3 earlier this year I would have definitely bought this bundle. In fact, I was planning on getting this but then I got impatient lol

+ Joakim Hagdahl on June 12th, 2008 at 4:49 pm said:

MGS IV is an excellent game. Thank the Kojima Productions team for their hard work.

+ supersnake on June 12th, 2008 at 4:50 pm said:

Where is ingame messaging? It was supposed to be out before June 12..

+ JordanBlack68 on June 12th, 2008 at 4:52 pm said:

Wheres the IN GAME Messaging as promised?

Delayed?

+ cmargary on June 12th, 2008 at 4:54 pm said:

@10

Who told you that? Sev? lol…

On topic what a wonderful game, this game surpass the hype… the best game of any console. I hope you guys help Konami with this and the ads… is just a win-win situation here, you will not have a better game in years. Maybe GOW.

+ supersnake on June 12th, 2008 at 4:56 pm said:

@12

No sir. Do some research and find out yourself.

+ cmargary on June 12th, 2008 at 4:57 pm said:

We all know that it’s a shame that the in game messaging doesn’t arrive before MGS4 but let’s keep this on topic. It will be a shame to ruin a great post.

+ SeventhAxes on June 12th, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

@10 and 11, can you guys link me to the “promise” of IGXMB, how it’s supposed to be “out before June 12th” and how it’s “delayed.”

I’m interested, thanks.

+ wizardpsp on June 12th, 2008 at 4:59 pm said:

Im going for mo copy tomorrow yes !!!!

+ cmargary on June 12th, 2008 at 4:59 pm said:

@supersnake

I know it was all over the net.. yes… but search who started that first, http://playstationlifestyle.net/. Then the forum post in neogaf and then everyone said it was an internal source. like 3 videos in youtube of ingame xmb. But the rumor started with the sev guy.

+ Sev1512 on June 12th, 2008 at 5:00 pm said:

Seriously, MGS4 is the best video game I have ever played.

I havent even slept yet, I came home fom the midnight launch and have been playing ever since.

I had to take a break for dinner and because my eyes were burning.

+ RoAcH2285 on June 12th, 2008 at 5:01 pm said:

One things for sure. The PS3 has the best upcoming game lineup. This year I’m gonna be broke and Sony is gonna be rich. :)

+ supersnake on June 12th, 2008 at 5:02 pm said:

@15.

We’re talking about ingame messaging, and NOT ingame XMB here.

+ Prezhulio on June 12th, 2008 at 5:03 pm said:

this game freaking rocks!!!

btw – ingame messaging with firmware 2.4 is within the next two weeks according to the R&D guy for firmware

+ Keysersoze10033 on June 12th, 2008 at 5:04 pm said:

I bought MSG 4 special edition today and I’m extremely happy with the game (thanks for making sure it was exclusive). But I’m really curious as to why the 80GB PS3 bundle had such a limited release. I have about 4 friends calling all over NYC to get this system and it is sold out everywhere. Not a good move Sony :/. Anyway, I’m glad I bought mine when the PS3 came out, but you guys are missing out on a lot of sales.

+ Razcor256 on June 12th, 2008 at 5:04 pm said:

I only played a little of the beginning of MGS4, and I can’t wait to get my copy. See you online!!!

+ vrillusions on June 12th, 2008 at 5:07 pm said:

PLEASE keep stocking the sony style store. I already got the credit card but the website has been getting hammered. I’ve never seen it for sale but I guess it has been. If you can get it there, you can get a good deal on it.

+ West End Matt on June 12th, 2008 at 5:08 pm said:

Amazing game!!!! I’ve been doing an MGS4 marathon today, loving every second of it. A definite PS3 seller. A true next gen classic. Can’t wait for the other awesome titles still coming!!!!! My Ps3 just keeps getting better!

+ Lowe0 on June 12th, 2008 at 5:10 pm said:

Pay per MGO character slot? Really? I feel kinda ripped off. I know they’re a 3rd party, but really, you guys need to crack the whip on your partners.

+ daviddoel on June 12th, 2008 at 5:11 pm said:

SOCOM Confrontation will create a HUGE bump in PS3 hardware sales. I think everyone, including Sony, is underestimating it’s draw. I know of many people who don’t really visit message boards or gaming websites, and are holding out on getting a PS3 until SOCOM Confrontation hits.

You guys just better properly market it. If you (Sony) don’t properly market SOCOM Confrontation with dedicated television ads prior and after release, then you’re just plain moronic.

+ 40cal on June 12th, 2008 at 5:13 pm said:

MGS4 is with out a doubt is one of the best games, if not the best game ever made. Thank you Kojima and Sony.

+ AhXian on June 12th, 2008 at 5:21 pm said:

need more jrpg

+ XxBigP123xX on June 12th, 2008 at 5:27 pm said:

I saw someone getting a 80gb MGS4 bundle when i was getting my MGS4.

+ ACE72 on June 12th, 2008 at 5:30 pm said:

Hi Scott,

I was a midnight launch here in california, the new 80GB bundles within seconds of opeing the store (Gamestop) And my local Target Sold their inventory with the first two minutes of the stores opening.

+ Jeigh on June 12th, 2008 at 5:33 pm said:

Got my Limited Edition as early as I could today! :D Glad to hear you’re finally touting the exclusive banner, though seeing some advertising echoing these sentiments would be nice. You know, something to the effect of “In the year 20XX a simply amazing experience takes place, but only people with PS3s get to play it!” :P

+ senjutsu_dav on June 12th, 2008 at 5:33 pm said:

The ps3 have good games, but I’ll still need to buy a modded x360 to play some JRPGs, I just cannot wait any longer. :'(

ps: walmart sells the MGS4 bundle 499$ BUT it gives a rebate of 100$ on blueray players, wich includes the ps3, so they are selling, right now, the MGS4 ps3 bundle for 399$ :D. (a message for those who STILL don’t have a ps3).

+ P_tear_griffin on June 12th, 2008 at 5:36 pm said:

Would’ve bought the bundle if I didn’t already own a PS3. Oh, and this SKU still has backwards compatibility for those PS2 enthusiasts that want to have an all-in-one box.

+ zDiablo on June 12th, 2008 at 5:38 pm said:

the most amazing game in my collection and the most amazing game out for the ps3 this game is without a doubt a must must MUST buy game asap right now! Right when you put in the game u are amazed.

+ tirminyl on June 12th, 2008 at 5:39 pm said:

Very curious to see the sales data. Lots of people were purchasing PS3’s and MGS4 as I was picking up my copy.

PS2 owners convert or miss out on one of THE best titles for the PS3 this year. Great titles coming in the future as well!

+ Chrisrahosiris on June 12th, 2008 at 5:40 pm said:

Yes, this is one of the many amazing, exclusive titles that are available for the PS3. I’m glad a title such as this will be available and marks the the coming of many more great titles this year.

+ Iron_Tiger on June 12th, 2008 at 5:42 pm said:

2008, the year of the playstation. keep those games coming. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a must have for any ps3 gamer. the only thing we need now are some good rpgs.

+ WHAT on June 12th, 2008 at 5:45 pm said:

MGS4 is so far the best game I have ever played. Thanks to all involved in being this to the PS3.

+ Mana Knight on June 12th, 2008 at 5:48 pm said:

MGS4 is really awesome and I’m really enjoying the game. It’s also great to see PS3 do really well in NPD. This is an awesome time to own a PS3. :D

Thanks a lot for releasing the PSN Cards, because I just bought one today at Meijer (although I’m having issues adding the money to my wallet, keep getting an error).

+ Kratos_ate_Snake on June 12th, 2008 at 5:54 pm said:

I got a couple of friends who were just waiting for this bundle to get the PS3… I know they will love it.

+ gamesblow on June 12th, 2008 at 5:58 pm said:

I’m not downplaying Mgs4, Resistance 2 or Motorstorm 2 but c’mon we’ve known about these games for ever. I’m wanting something new and different exclusively for the ps3. A game that doesn’t have a number behind its name, Scott.

I was never a mgs fan and while I did buy it today it still isn’t the end of the end of gaming. I was more amped about Eightdays and getaway or something “NEW” from Sony’s in house guys.

I hope you have more than what we already know about this year. That’s all I’m saying. Infamous, Mgs4, Resistance, Killzone 2, Little big planet, Motorstorm 2… We know all about those games.

What about some RPGs? What about some new IPS? be the inovator Sony…

+ SantanaClaus89 on June 12th, 2008 at 6:13 pm said:

Couldn’t agree with you more, Scott.

Now all you need to do is release 2.4…

+ enewtabie on June 12th, 2008 at 6:22 pm said:

Never really been a fan of Metal Gear myself,but I took the plunge today and picked it up.I’m glad I did.So far,it’s really a great game.Gotta get used to all the controls,but amazingly fun!!

+ un-discovered on June 12th, 2008 at 6:24 pm said:

sweet…

+ Dubbedinenglish on June 12th, 2008 at 6:39 pm said:

Oh man MGS4…Wow, I’ve rarely seen movies resonate on so many levels…This game is increadable (I’m up to act IV).

+ cmargary on June 12th, 2008 at 6:41 pm said:

@gamesblow

I was agree with you in almost all you have said in this blog in the past but not now. You see new IP is always good I know, but the console seller is and it will always be a game with name. Example is mario, zelda, Gears of war, Halo ans now Metal Gear. You see? resistance, motorstorm are the new ip of this gen too, enjoy it. Want a new IP? You don’t like Little Big Planet?

+ SILV3R_ on June 12th, 2008 at 6:44 pm said:

Now that I have this game.. I can take my time playing the game and once I completed the game. I will watch the blu-ray that came with my LE. Then move to the next PS3 Game.. Socom Beta when available.

+ SILV3R_ on June 12th, 2008 at 6:47 pm said:

BTW..waiting for August 08 for the blue PSP..just hoping nothing is written behind the new model PSP..

Wishing for just simple metalic blue PSP.

PAGE 1 2 3 4