PS4-The Order

Metal Gear Solid 4 LAunch

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jun 13, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

I love midnight launches. While getting to play a big game, see a new movie, or hearing a new album a few hours before anyone else is of dubious value; there’s a sense of camaraderie with your fellow fanboys and girls braving the elements. That was definitely the case at the Metal Gear Solid 4 launch at the West Hollywood Best Buy this week. You had everything these types of events are known for – the exhausted “#1 Fan” at the front of the line, the confused passerby, and the drivers on La Brea shouting spoilers (“Snake kills Dumbledore!”).

Konami
and Best Buy also put on a VIP event for the media, developers, and those who waited the longest for the game. While I was unable to interview David Hayter (the voice of Snake), I *did* catch up with MGS4 Producer Kenichiro Imaizumi and that #1 fan, Tony Ervin of Inglewood, CA.

For more launch coverage, Kotaku and Destructoid were in attendance and took some excellent pics.

71 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Nito025 on June 13th, 2008 at 4:30 pm said:

First post?!? Euwww yeahhh! Hahaha glad to see the release was a hit! Great game! Play B3yond!

+ SillyHatMafia on June 13th, 2008 at 4:31 pm said:

I waited along time for MGS4, but its so good, its worth it! It actually surpasses my expectations!

The online is addictive too! My one friend likes the PS3, but doesn’t have one. He saw this game and now he wants to get it soon. This is a system seller

+ joel on June 13th, 2008 at 4:31 pm said:

Dam thats so epic, MGS4 to me is amazing.. words cant describe how good this game is.

+ Aaron on June 13th, 2008 at 4:32 pm said:

Man I wish I could of been there! I STILL dont have MGS4! stupid gamestop.com messed up my order and a bunch of other peoples too!

+ EvoAnubis on June 13th, 2008 at 4:48 pm said:

I don’t have it yet either, but I’ll be buying it in two weeks. Can’t wait! My friends have been all over it….even people IRL that bought that Triple JUST for this game. *chuckles* Can’t wait to see the NPD numbers next month.

+ crystalx3d on June 13th, 2008 at 4:50 pm said:

”Snake kills Dumbledore!”
I lol’ed

+ thingg on June 13th, 2008 at 4:54 pm said:

thanks for the post. too bad you couldn’t get Snake for an interview though….

+ driffter on June 13th, 2008 at 4:55 pm said:

Loving this game so far.

+ Solidsnake0 on June 13th, 2008 at 5:01 pm said:

nice

+ tails-4 on June 13th, 2008 at 5:03 pm said:

wooooo

ill get mine soon

+ XxBigP123xX on June 13th, 2008 at 5:07 pm said:

I waited at my gamestop for like 5 minutes, there was like 4 people there and on was waiting for Wiifit(loser).

+ -Nick on June 13th, 2008 at 5:08 pm said:

Good to see everyone is loving the game. I’ll get my copy soon :)

Everyone who owns a PS3 should buy this game. Thats a way of telling the developers that games DO sell on the PS3!!!

+ DarkUSS on June 13th, 2008 at 5:14 pm said:

I’m at the beginning of Act 4! Without a doubt the best game I’ve played in years. ;)

It’s a crime for someone to own a PS3 and not buy this game.

+ Goodfella2487 on June 13th, 2008 at 5:17 pm said:

10/10 from both IGN and Gamespot. The PS3 truly has the greatest game =)

+ Seba501 on June 13th, 2008 at 5:20 pm said:

The first guy just bought the normal edition, lol.

Goodfella, u are complty right

+ Kratos_ate_Snake on June 13th, 2008 at 5:31 pm said:

I truly have never enjoyed a game this much. I have yet to find a fault, and everything just gets better and better..

+ zakupilot256 on June 13th, 2008 at 5:40 pm said:

Great job professor playstation. I will be heading to the SF Kojima signing tomorrow. So if you see me, i am not stalking you, that’s Glen’s job lol. Anyway I will be taking pictures and doing a write for PSnation podcast/VGEvo.com. You are more then welcome to use any of them for the blog.

+ manguz2000 on June 13th, 2008 at 5:59 pm said:

Since the PS3 has the PlayStation store would we see the Japanese voice cast a downloadable content for MGS4 in the future.

+ daniel3334 on June 13th, 2008 at 6:01 pm said:

greatest game ever. overly exceeded expectations. ive played every MGS this is by far the best. definetely game of the year.sony/konami yall rocked this one. i even bought a second ps3 so me and wife could play online 2gether. this is the game that will push PS3 sales #’s. great job again

+ enewtabie on June 13th, 2008 at 6:04 pm said:

Sony/Konami

You turned a person who has never really played any Metal Gear since the NES days into a fan of this game.It is simply amazing,from the graphics to the storyline to the entire presentation.Thank you.

+ face2007 on June 13th, 2008 at 7:03 pm said:

best game yet for ps3

+ Sheen on June 13th, 2008 at 7:43 pm said:

Just beat the game. Seriously, it is probably the best game I have ever played, on any system. Simply amazing.

+ Jeigh on June 13th, 2008 at 7:45 pm said:

Jesus, this game is absolutely epic on every level. Kojima is a credit to PlayStation and the entire gaming experience. Much love.

+ Gavi on June 13th, 2008 at 7:59 pm said:

This is my first venture into the world of Metal Gear Solid. What have I been missing out on?

The game is truly epic and I’ve only just got into the game. I miss my 5.1 surround sound, but don’t worry I’ll be playing through again once I get a new system.

However, for people who have missed out on the other games in the series, it would be nice of Sony to put up Metal Gear Solid as a PSone classic in the US store (it’s up in the Japanese store) or what about some helpful videos in the Playstation store like what appeared on Gametrailers? Would be much appreciated.

A truly next gen game. Good to see many people enjoying it.

+ Rux on June 13th, 2008 at 8:22 pm said:

I love GTA and COD4, but MGS4 absolutely blows them out of the water

+ lakaihigh on June 13th, 2008 at 8:53 pm said:

I love the way Kenichiro says blu ray! bru ray… LOL. most epic game ever and I’m only into the Second Act. They packed sooo much into this game, no wonder its on a dual layer blu ray disc.

@ DarkUSS – you are spot on mate. its not only a crime if people own the PS3 and don’t buy this game, but its even worse if people don’t buy a PS3 just to play this game!

On a side note does anyone here know how to unlock/get the Altair costume from Assassins? I wanna get me stealth on in that badass assasinator cape!

cheers,
Lh

+ tag0727 on June 13th, 2008 at 9:01 pm said:

they should have had the demo on the playstation store for new people + people who have to wait for $

it relly sucksssssssssssssssss!!!!

+ the_icon on June 13th, 2008 at 9:07 pm said:

Hands Down system seller. David is my fav voice actor of all time.

+ Chrisrahosiris on June 13th, 2008 at 9:19 pm said:

An amazing title. Many people should get a PS3 for this title and the many other great titles.

+ 40cal on June 13th, 2008 at 9:55 pm said:

Waited for this game for over 3 years. Worth it, Period.

+ K2016 on June 13th, 2008 at 9:59 pm said:

Great Game. Got it after the in the afternoon after the release. It’s awesome. I played it until I got stuck. LOL I don’t know what to do now.

+ psmgamer on June 13th, 2008 at 10:22 pm said:

I picked my copy of MGS4 today along with teh strategy guide.

+ CONFUSEDgam3r on June 13th, 2008 at 10:28 pm said:

I just want to hear a loop of Hayter saying “Otacon.”

+ KeyWii on June 13th, 2008 at 10:45 pm said:

This is the best game I’ve ever played… No joke.

+ APaz on June 13th, 2008 at 11:12 pm said:

THIS GAME IS EPIC!!!

+ tripletags on June 13th, 2008 at 11:38 pm said:

Go congratulate David Hayter on his facebook page ;)

+ warezIbanez on June 13th, 2008 at 11:54 pm said:

David Hayter, you are awesome.

Hey, if Tony Ervin would like to add someone to his friends list on his new GUN METAL GRAY ps3, add my name as it is spelled right here.

warezIbanez

+ Johnny Sasaki on June 14th, 2008 at 12:52 am said:

Hey! That’s me at 1:36! Glad I was part of the MGS geek-out there, and it was nice to meet you, Jeff!

Cheers,
- Matthew

+ skaterricky on June 14th, 2008 at 1:45 am said:

By Far the best game Ever Created! Full Blown System seller :D

I’ve got friends wanting to get a PS3 now because of this game ;)

If I could I would Shake everyone one that had a part of making this game a Welcome handshake and a big hug :D

But right now I have incountered a problem from downloading I think.

???????If anyone has had this happen to them let me know????????

****************************************
****************************************
Rebuilding HDD push X to restart and Rebuild your System.
****************************************
****************************************

Doesn’t faz anygame saves or anything but it did clear out all my Protected Messages :(
I use the Protected message to save my Friends Name’s Age’s and Locations and what games they have!

************************************

Can SONY or anyone tell me when we might get Major Profiles for ourselfs and to see what games our friends have because the only way I know all this is for them to message me back with all that information and now I LOST ALL OF IT! :(

************************************

Message me back on my PS3 at: Skater_Ricky
Or Email me at: jamiethomas_04@hotmail.com

Thank you for your time!
Ricky,

+ Johnny Sasaki on June 14th, 2008 at 1:52 am said:

I also encountered that problem when I first booted up the bonus blu-ray disc, but fortunately nothing happened after I restarted.

+ J3SS on June 14th, 2008 at 3:20 am said:

Yes MGS4 is a system seller, no doubt. Quick question though. Have you guys heard of a new IP title from Sucker Punch studio known as inFAMOUS? If so, what do you think about what has being shown so far?

Put that on my “Can’t wait for” list along Resistance 2 and Little Big Planet.

+ Skater_Ricky on June 14th, 2008 at 4:07 am said:

If anyone noticed when you Hit the PS button….

Everything Pauses and theres NO sound..

HIT HIT!! I feel its ready for IN-Game XMB ;)

Hope im not the only one that really knotices every little detail about games here :D

+ S3NTRY on June 14th, 2008 at 4:19 am said:

@Skater_Ricky [41], Lol, hate to burst your bubble but that happens in many other games as well (even some from launch), so that probably means nothing. :P

But either way, In-Game XMB is coming this summer as promised. :D

+ skaterricky on June 14th, 2008 at 4:19 am said:

@Jonny Sasaki

Do you have the 60GB version like I do??

+ skaterricky on June 14th, 2008 at 4:30 am said:

@42- S3NTRY, not all games are like that!

Some of them just Pause but sound keeps playing!

Some just keep playing and never pause but sound keeps playing!

Others Rar sound stops and pauses!

MGS4 Pauses and turns off sound!

Just Proving a Therory but more of a FACT here.

+ S3NTRY on June 14th, 2008 at 4:40 am said:

@44- Skaterricky

Yeah I never said all games are like that, but its definitely not the ONLY game to do such a thing when pressing the PS Button. :P

Just saying, has nothing to do with hinting at In-Game XMB LOL! :D

+ Daver on June 14th, 2008 at 6:22 am said:

Nice Congrats!!!

+ Lirion on June 14th, 2008 at 7:02 am said:

I just beat MGS4 and started my second round right away.

MGS4 is the greatest game ever created in the history of gaming.

+ Blackmoses11 on June 14th, 2008 at 7:11 am said:

The best game I have ever had the privelage to play and watch play out. I just made it past ACT 1 “Liquid Sun” and I am already sad. I kinda don’t wanna play anymore because I know it will eventually lead to an END! The desire to finally, finally know everything is still a bit overwhelming not to play it though.

Mad respect to Kojima, Konami and Sony for developing a game that has changed the very landscape of how a blockbuster game is really made. On a system that seems to have been built ecspecially for it.

As I’ve said plenty of times before, the Metal Gear series is the whole reason I bought a PS1, PS2 and PS3. The ride has been fun and If this is trully the end of Snakes journey…
…then it’s been a pleasure going to battle with you over the last 20 years dear friend. Let’s end this!!!

-Black-

+ emzee on June 14th, 2008 at 7:14 am said:

Amazing game. Definitely one of the best game I’ve played, congrats to the whole Kojima productions team you guys did a awesome job.

PAGE 1 2