PS4 - Destiny

Firmware (v2.36) coming soon, (v2.40) to include trophies, in-game XMB

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jun 17, 2008 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

A new PLAYSTATION 3 firmware update (v2.36) will be launching soon, improving system stability when playing select PlayStation format software titles. We’re also happy to officially report that the 2.40 system software update for PS3 will include “XMB” access in-game. The update will also include “trophies,” an exciting new feature that we’ll be providing more details on soon, as well as some other new enhancements. We’ve talked about some of this on the blog previously and know that many of you can’t wait to get your hands on these features. You can expect us to share all of the official details shortly.

753 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 16

+ Aliarse on June 17th, 2008 at 3:56 pm said:

Define “soon”…

+ Seraphim on June 17th, 2008 at 3:56 pm said:

It’s about bloody time… I just hope it’s not stupid. *prays that it’s not stupid*

One down, One to Go. Now where are the RPGs?

+ APaz on June 17th, 2008 at 3:56 pm said:

FINALLY!!! Thanks for the heads up!

+ MeltTech on June 17th, 2008 at 3:57 pm said:

@ 151

soon: adverb; near future; see also, HOME

+ Carl on June 17th, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

@Will11 we wont get it tomorrow. We will likely get 2.36 tomorrow, and 2.4 before the end of the month!

+ donjuan on June 17th, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

Finally what we’ve all been waiting for. I was on the forum and people have constantly been talking all these rumored dates and what is suppose to be in the update.

However, finally there is some confirmation to this.

Thank you so much. :)

+ cmargary on June 17th, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

Finally news… I’m just glad you just announce it… you will see that the “we want ingame xmb” comments will be almost over. Communication is always a plus and sooo… that means the Sev guy was always right?

+ FeaturePreacher on June 17th, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

@22, @26, & @32

It’s good to complain. It shows that Sony Computer Entertainment, unlike some other companies or company branches, listens to its customers. I think this confirmation is more proof of a new direction of greater respect for playstation customers. Way to go SCE!!

I’m willing to bet a lot of Nintendo owners wish Nintendo would listen to them and have a better online service and revise their latest hardware to include a hard drive. But I would also wager cries of Nintendo fans fall on completely deaf, corporate ears.

+ Nightmare142 on June 17th, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

@ 136, I would like to know as well, but it’s nice that 2.40 is Confirmed to have in-game XMB. So I’m not too mad :)

+ Herby on June 17th, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

Woah great news. It took a very long time since first announced but I am happy to hear it. I hope we don’t have to wait through .4 updates.

+ Toddy2Hotty on June 17th, 2008 at 4:00 pm said:

Thanks for the official word! :D

+ VenomX on June 17th, 2008 at 4:00 pm said:

Home, In-game XMB, Video store, trophies, internet browser, Metal Gear Solid 4, DS3, free online. Wow, feels good to own a PS3.

+ TheApprentice on June 17th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

Why would persons rate this blog post less than 5??

This is great news…. :(

+ X1rtam on June 17th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

Great news now that it’s official. Here’s to hoping that 2.4 is out before the month’s end!

+ Zaku on June 17th, 2008 at 4:02 pm said:

Really appreciate this news :) Keep up the good work and I look forward to the updates :)

+ xaos on June 17th, 2008 at 4:03 pm said:

This is terrible; now people will have to find something new to obsessively gripe about; how could you do this to us? :)

+ Clinton514 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:03 pm said:

Thank you for the update Eric.

Question for when you do reveal more details:
1. We’ll be able to view our friend’s trophies, correct?

2. Any word on upping the 50 buddy list limit? Sadly my list has been full for the past year and I want to add some of my new PlayStation buddies.

thanks.

+ darkiewonder on June 17th, 2008 at 4:03 pm said:

Other than “soon” can we get an exact date now? or at least another post listing all the games that will have trophy support.

thanks.

+ thewolf619 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:03 pm said:

This is good to hear and all, but it would be nice to get a more solid time frame than “soon”. :|

+ Aliarse on June 17th, 2008 at 4:03 pm said:

@ 154

Thank you kind sir. ;)

+ brentos on June 17th, 2008 at 4:04 pm said:

So what features will I be able to access in-game? Chat? Internet browser? Music? What exactly does in-game XMB give me? One other thing, is there going to be a clock included in 2.40? I know it’s kinda silly, but I like to be able to check the time while gaming. Sounds like a great update, keep ‘em coming!

+ darkiewonder on June 17th, 2008 at 4:04 pm said:

OH and another thing. will the trophies ONLY be viewable on the ps3 or do you have in the works to make it viewable on a site? That would be great. [if the answer isn't direct then don't answer]

Thanks ;)

+ bronxchulo on June 17th, 2008 at 4:04 pm said:

2.36 is coming soon.

it says nothing bout 2.40 coming soon. you people really need to read.

once again sony is hyping people up for a long wait.

SONY: guess what everyone 2.40 is going to include…. etc…. you will just have to wait till we all had a good enough laugh watching you all cry about it then we will release it for xmas.

+ screamingdevil on June 17th, 2008 at 4:07 pm said:

FINALLY! THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Pointt_Blankk on June 17th, 2008 at 4:08 pm said:

Sweet now that it’s official let the waiting game begin…

I think they’re waiting to announce 2.40 for E3 but it’s just my guess….

+ 3D3 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:08 pm said:

I’m hoping that the PSP update and PS3 update are both coming together tomorrow.

+ wizardpsp on June 17th, 2008 at 4:08 pm said:

First MGS4 now In game xmb!! Wow
Playstation is on the big Move!!
ho yes and the PSN Cards?

+ SantanaClaus89 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:09 pm said:

They would not be releasing 2.36 now if 2.40 was coming this month. They would be grouped together.

I would not expect 2.40 any earlier than mid July if I were you, otherwise you will be disappointed.

Hope I’m wrong, but Sony is slooooooow as molasses when it comes to giving thier customers what they want. Sad but true. :(

+ SantanaClaus89 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:11 pm said:

@ 175

They can’t announce 2.4 at E3 when they just announced it here.

+ BlackShadows14 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:11 pm said:

Finally. That’s all I have to say.

+ 9FamousPhresh2 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:13 pm said:

When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When, When???

+ Daver on June 17th, 2008 at 4:15 pm said:

Good news!

Again MGS4 is awesome!!! cant stop playing it loll just another 10 mins, and then i realized that its midnight and i gotta go to bed for work lol.

My guess is if you guys are not releasing 2.4 before e3 then it’s gonna include the video store

+ Keysersoze10033 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:15 pm said:

YES!!!!! Thanks for letting us know about in game XMB

+ cmargary on June 17th, 2008 at 4:16 pm said:

@173

yeah.. because we will have the same firmware till Christmas right? when they say soon means this week…

For the guy saying was this is rated below 5? because there are people like gamesblow rating it at 1. Hell, he hates that all the games are coming like motorstorm 2, resistance 2 y little big planet that every fan wants, even 360 gamers wanted to have LBP in their console. He even hate and said MGS was boring and didn’t help to sell console when Japan have a 700$ and 180% of boosted sales. he even said that games that are not new IP will not sell console when we all know that games las GTA, Halo, Mario, Zelda, Gran Turismo and MGS is what move console sales.

+ mywhitenoise on June 17th, 2008 at 4:16 pm said:

Firmware suggestions. The most important one for me is when transferring albums by mp3, all information is retained (artist, album, comments, track number), however when you transfer albums by AAC only the song title is retained. Is it possible to recognize AAC files the same way the PS3 does for mp3?
This has to do with the last suggestion, make an “edit all/multiple” function for music, photo, video, and game files. I spent so much time editing my AAC albums typing in the artist and album name over and over again for each file.
Make a more refined folder structure for the music (and I guess video, photo, and game) section. It would be nice to view folders by Artist, and then by Album folders.
Add a ‘copy all’ and ‘copy multiple’ function to save files for PS1/2 virtual memory cards and ps3 games.

+ sainraja on June 17th, 2008 at 4:18 pm said:

I am glad to see that it has been officially confirmed but why not just release 2.40 with the update the 2.36 has?

Still, great to know it is coming.

+ Pointt_Blankk on June 17th, 2008 at 4:18 pm said:

@179
Well don’t you kinda get what I’m trying to say in that post ?, since I kinda acknowledge the official announcement of 2.40 today I simply ment they were waiting till E3 to roll it out to the public…

+ CitizenInsane27 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:20 pm said:

Wow, it really wasn’t too long before everyone here got shellshocked and starting screaming ‘when’ over and over.

Relax, they wouldn’t have announced it now, before E3, if we weren’t gonna see it soon. Oh, and I don’t wanna read any whining about how ‘soon’ isn’t good enough, because of impatience. How would you like it if the nice folks at Sony really did just rape your wallet and not invest any time in to improving and enhancing their products? Would that be better?

When they say stuff like ‘more details soon’ it probably means Eric has been busting ass with his team all week testing 2.36+2.40 and doesn’t really have the resources to write up a great big article on it at the moment. When they say things like ‘more details soon’, it means, hang on for a week and we are gonna put up a freakin’ video walkthrough for you. So shhhhhhush. Please. For now, at least? Just sit back and bask in the happy.

+ DA_SHREDDER on June 17th, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

Dude, wtf? We all know its ready,, why cant they just make it all one freakin download so we dont have to wait for 2.4?
I dont know if sony understands this, but its really getting painfully annoying not being able to be on par with the xbox’s live. Sony, just release the freagin thing already, stop talking about it, be about it.

+ SantanaClaus89 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

@ 188

+ artson1966 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

i suppose it will be the holiday season before we get 2.40. I love sony but I am tired of being promised things and then having to wait for ever to get it. Like Home we where suppose to get it a year ago and as you can see still don’t have it and every time a deadline comes it gets pushed back even further. The same thing keeps happing with games. What about all these psn titles we should have already. 1 game a month is lame. even 1-2 retail games a month is even more lame. I spent 600 bucks on my ps3 and i only have a dozen or so decent games to play on it. And you wonder why the WII is killing you in sales every week they at least have software coming out. All i want is the promises you gave us. HD gaming at 1080p, Home,in game xmb,more 3rd party titles,and maybe just maybe some good psn games.

+ HanSolo on June 17th, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

enough..just release it…

+ ActionBastrd on June 17th, 2008 at 4:23 pm said:

Will 2.4 allow me to listen to my music while browsing the PlayStation Store?

+ Daver on June 17th, 2008 at 4:23 pm said:

I forgot to say…

just a suggestion..
I would like a “shuffle songs mode” for all the songs in my ps3 without doing a list just play a song randomly among all my songs
I dont know if its in 2.4 if not, i would really like it for the next update if its possible
Thanks!

+ supersnake on June 17th, 2008 at 4:25 pm said:

umm ok..nothing new here..telling us when it’ll be out might be more of a worthy news.

+ mendezgato on June 17th, 2008 at 4:25 pm said:

@# 46 gamesblow YOU DONT DO NOTHING MORE THAN TALK TRASH AT EVERY POST THAT YOU WRITE AND YET YOU GOT # 2 IN THE PLAYSTATION BLOG LIST, YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A TROLL so I promise that i’ll be on every blog that you post a complain from now on JUST TO MAKE A POINT, back to topic Thank you for the heads up maybe we will be able to add our tracks(songs) to the ingame ipod on metal gear solid 4

+ nmc75 on June 17th, 2008 at 4:29 pm said:

What components of the the XMB will be able to exist in the “In-Game-XMB” for 2.40? Will it allow in-game-text messages? Will it include voice-chat across games? Will all existing PS3 games need to be patched to work with 2.40 such as those games that already have an in-game-text messaging system and/or voice-chat? How is all going to work for comms. is what I want to know.

Using Rock Band as an example, will PS3 owners finally be able to chat with other players in Rock Band while playing online, or will Harmonix still need to patch their game to allow for that?

Lastly, and I know this is a lot of questions.. but I’m assuming we won’t have ALL the features of the XMB in-game. What specific functions of the XMB will work in-game?

+ Xenokai on June 17th, 2008 at 4:31 pm said:

i have 6 quesytions

Will the be a music player for all games?
Will there be cross game voice chat?
Will the be voice messageing?
Will the be cross game game invites?
Will MGS4 have trophies?
Will trophies be unlocked autmaticly for older game we completed?

+ tripletags on June 17th, 2008 at 4:32 pm said:

This rumor has been confirmed fake a long time ago :).

I am not ready to live in a world where the PS3 has In-Game XMB. I hope this is an optional update.

+ Zorox on June 17th, 2008 at 4:33 pm said:

It will probably come out right before E3, so that Sony can add another bullet point to their presentation.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 16