Far Cry 4

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Database on the way!

Brandon Laurino's Avatar + Posted by Brandon Laurino on Jun 18, 2008 // Executive Producer, Dust 514

Hi all – Firstly, we’d like to thank you for helping us make the launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots a tremendous success, with a special thanks to the many of you who attended our midnight launches to support it. It was great to meet so many of you in person, and the some of the MGS related costumes were truly spectacular. We had a lot of fun, and we hope you did too.

Of course, the launch of MGS4 is just the beginning – with it now in your hands, surely you are finding that there is much to discover within the game itself. It’s packed with so much, in fact, that there is bound to be new revelations, strategies, and details in the coming months as everyone makes their way through every nook and cranny. Add in Metal Gear Online, with its endless and deep multiplayer game play, as well as new downloadable content forthcoming – there is truly so much more to come, with our continued support of MGS, that will extend well through this year.

With that, we are happy to reveal a very special surprise, upon the PLAYSTATION Store update tomorrow (Thursday June 19th) we will be releasing the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Database!

Metal Gear Solid 4 Database

The MGS4 Database is a free, downloadable interactive application that contains the official knowledge base of everything that is Metal Gear, reaching all the way back to the very beginning of the franchise. Including complete storylines, character profiles, relationship diagrams, and much more! The MGS4 database is a great way to catch up for someone new to Metal Gear, as well as a useful resource for any veteran of the series, with complete official details on every aspect of the intricate Metal gear lore.

The MGS4 Database also contains a special feature – if you want to make use of the database, but have not yet fully played through MGS4 yet and are worried about spoilers – all MGS4 spoilers are “blacked out” until you’ve beaten MGS4. Give it a try!

But that’s not all, within MGS4, check out the EXTRAS option of the main menu (if you haven’t already). There’s already new, free downloadable content available for the game – with new camouflage and a new music track for the in game iPod. There will be more forthcoming, so be sure to check this often!

173 Comments   1 Reply

+ MGSMerc on June 18th, 2008 at 6:41 pm said:

This is amazing! Really awsome surprise, to the team at KojiPro you guys rock. But I as well would like to know when MGS 1 will come to the US PSN Store? And would a remake of Metal Gear on the MGS4 engine be a bit too much to ask for?

+ Dorian_D on June 18th, 2008 at 6:42 pm said:

MGS1 with ps3 graphics!!!

+ crystalx3d on June 18th, 2008 at 6:45 pm said:

Nice!! This makes it nice for those people didn’t/couldn’t grab a copy of the limited edition, so they don’t feel like they completely missed out on all the goodies. I appreciate the spoiler protection too. Genius.

+ crystalx3d on June 18th, 2008 at 6:51 pm said:

@103
Lol, wouldn’t that be nice? I just got the MGS essential collection and started playing the PSone Metal Gear Solid. The ps1 graphics on the hdtv were quite a sight. My friend was with me and said “Wow, these graphics are almost 3D!”

+ WHAT on June 18th, 2008 at 7:40 pm said:

Fantastic game. MGO is awesome too. Will be here till you lock me out.

+ Neil on June 18th, 2008 at 7:47 pm said:

Great idea! I wasn’t really a hardcore MGS fan beforehand but after playing through MGS4 all I can say is “Best game of the year”. I’ll definitely be downloading this.

+ OmegaArchetype on June 18th, 2008 at 7:51 pm said:

Right on, I’ll be downloading this tomorrow then. Can’t wait for more stuff for MGO as well. Need more maps and a true stealth game type that doesn’t have just one person being stealthy. I also with that the aiming speed would be increased. It’s way to slow for me (possibly cause I’m used to higher sensitivity of FPS.)

Still that’d improve the MGO for me alot.

+ OmegaArchetype on June 18th, 2008 at 7:52 pm said:

*wish

+ The Mosh on June 18th, 2008 at 7:55 pm said:

This download will be sure to please a hardcore fan of the series, like me. I am still playing MGS$ (didnt have enough this week to play) and i could catch up to MGS while im playing

The second it’s out, im downloading it for sure.

+ DankandSticky on June 18th, 2008 at 7:57 pm said:

very cool…

+ red-fox on June 18th, 2008 at 8:00 pm said:

I wonder what all the content is going to amount to, cause it would suck if with all this hype, only 10 things come out. not so much complaining but just figured i’d point that out.

Keith

Xbox sucs with there cartoon games and graphics, Ps3 kicks cause it does and so does there games, and controller

+ Kamahl on June 18th, 2008 at 8:06 pm said:

nice, i wanna check that out, i cant remember the older games’ storylines so this will be very useful

+ Kratos_ate_Snake on June 18th, 2008 at 8:14 pm said:

Great… who ever though of this should get a promo. :-0

+ absolute on June 18th, 2008 at 8:17 pm said:

Is this the surprise Payton was talking about?

+ Korlithiel on June 18th, 2008 at 8:28 pm said:

Now why couldn’t someone hype a PSP title like this? Even GoW & Crises Core didn’t receive this much attention it seems like.

+ the_icon on June 18th, 2008 at 8:42 pm said:

This is great stuff, I hope you guys can somehow expand the Single player experience as well. Provide an optional Co-op?

+ lakaihigh on June 18th, 2008 at 8:44 pm said:

I want, nay i demand more Metal Gear! Just beat MGS4 and am now on my second play through. I am simply loving this game. The story is the best in my opinion of all the metal gear games. I’m not gonna throw away anything in here but I hope that this database extends more on the end of the game! *crosses fingers*

peace,
Lh

+ Retrogameplayer on June 18th, 2008 at 9:05 pm said:

Very cool. I’ll be downloading this asap.

+ mendezgato on June 18th, 2008 at 9:12 pm said:

@ 118 the_icon Are you out of your mind, why in heaven would you want a co-op on mgs4 thats like asking to have kratos as a playable caracter in the game next to snake and clank instead of mk II think.

+ avi_66 on June 18th, 2008 at 9:43 pm said:

Whenever i enter the extras menu and connect, it always shows me a “could not connect to the server” error all the time. Is this a problem with the game???

+ artofwar420 on June 18th, 2008 at 10:07 pm said:

This is insane, in a good way.

+ 40cal on June 18th, 2008 at 10:45 pm said:

Wow. Now this is some good sh*t.

+ BabeBro on June 18th, 2008 at 11:04 pm said:

I am new to the series and would just like to take the time to thank all who had part in the making of this game! It’s genius, and it’s kind of like the PS3′s homerun hitting title so far! Being a PS3 owner since 11/17/06 and never happier! Bring on 2.40 and let’s go crazy! LOL!

+ Gavi on June 18th, 2008 at 11:49 pm said:

This is just the sort of DLC I was hoping for for this game. I’ve missed out on all the rest of the games in the series, I must have been mad if MGS4 is anything to go by. Can’t wait to find out all the information.

+ Squall2600 on June 18th, 2008 at 11:53 pm said:

dame freakin sweet

+ SinsToJudge on June 19th, 2008 at 12:10 am said:

Awesome stuff. You don’t have to access this through the extras menu do you? I keep getting a network error everytime I try to access the network

+ zashbot on June 19th, 2008 at 12:21 am said:

i think this the highest rated article on the blog (it should be) 4.97 O_o

+ Yaminoshyuen on June 19th, 2008 at 3:14 am said:

Oh my god this is awesome. i had just beaten it the other morning and it was great. there was a sense of accomplishment after i did it….. and i am glad they covered a good majority of the stuff that needed answered but i hope this data base will cover more. Plus it is good that it will give all the info as to who’s who and who did what….

thank you PSN and konami!!! as well as Kojima-san and production team

+ crazypenguin on June 19th, 2008 at 3:17 am said:

ha ha, when i get this game i’ll be looking forward to this too. so sad that i have to be ACROSS THE FREAKING WORLD.

+ Lezz on June 19th, 2008 at 4:19 am said:

Any chance of a Demo theater mode coming as a download? It’s the one thing I really miss!

+ IndyStorm800 on June 19th, 2008 at 5:22 am said:

This is actually a pleasant surprise. I’ll admit I’m a newcomer to the MGS series, but MGS4 got me hooked to the series, to the point that I want to buy the Essential Collections. The Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patroits Database is just a neat downloadable feature that all games should have, especially if they are new to the series themselves. Kudos to Kojima Productions, Konami, and Sony for producing this game, as I seriously thinks it is worthly of Game of the Year.

+ agony on June 19th, 2008 at 5:39 am said:

European Store Content is up. No MGS database

are you kidding me? why did we europeans suffer again?

this is so stupid…

+ TTP on June 19th, 2008 at 5:46 am said:

Please can we have this on the European store? I know you love to piss Europeans off but can you make an exception for this?

Thanks

+ scorpio on June 19th, 2008 at 5:55 am said:

Great stuff!!!

+ Fatez on June 19th, 2008 at 7:17 am said:

way to go with the anti spolier feature. Really Really good move!

+ Conch_Bubby on June 19th, 2008 at 7:46 am said:

Still making my way through. Looking forward to any MGS down loadable content.

+ bigdaddyjane on June 19th, 2008 at 7:52 am said:

I’ll think about downloading it!

+ Kenshin001 on June 19th, 2008 at 8:01 am said:

Why was this not released on the PAL store? Does Sony hate Europe? Is SCEE run by incompetent mental dwarfs? I hope there is a perfectly logical explanation. I’m sure all those European MGS4 players are enjoying the rumble features in the game with their rumble-less Sixaxis because Sony deem Europe unimportant enough to release the Dualshock 3 there.

+ Tiduz on June 19th, 2008 at 8:19 am said:

I was so psyched for this, but then i saw Euro store didnt get it, even after a worldwide release, what happened Sony? :(

+ Subzero316 on June 19th, 2008 at 8:29 am said:

I went to the nyc virgin mega store launch party i waited online for over 10 hours it was well worth it to get the game and to meet hideo kojima. thank you konami

+ Eternity_Viper_Snake on June 19th, 2008 at 8:50 am said:

i thought a remake of MGS or MG on ps3 :( (would be very assume though)..:)

Thank you Sony and hideo Kojima & Konami procductions team for this extra feature great job on the game as well best game i ever played in my intire life!!!!

I know i keep asking but as everbody else ask can we see a new map maybe shadow moses or in the jungle like mgs3 se or mgs4…

another idea how about a Metal Gear Solid Chronicles if your not thinking of making a MGS5 but on the ps3 egine starting from MGS snake earter though all titles including metal gear & metal gear 2 solid snake and so on… and put them on blu ray as well & if its to long put on two disc (blu ray).. just a crazy idea.

P.S. MGS4 rocks thanks so much looking foward to some new maps ASAP PLSE!! :)

+ candiria on June 19th, 2008 at 9:00 am said:

that’s good. keep showing mgs the support it deserves. after seeing some of the sales figures for this game, you’d be a fool not to. this game isn’t to be taken lightly.

+ chaosgrid on June 19th, 2008 at 9:12 am said:

I have not played MGS4 yet but this is some awesome news!

+ Paranoimia on June 19th, 2008 at 9:33 am said:

This is the very first thing that’s EVER had me annoyed about the delays we have with the European store.

Since the game was released globally on the same date, why not the database?

+ zeke2040 on June 19th, 2008 at 9:47 am said:

wow this game is the best of all the series, and also do you know when the metal gear solid 4 , will have a reign free for my friends in the UK… most of my friends are from there… any feedback would be great.. also thanks for your time as well.

+ espiox on June 19th, 2008 at 9:50 am said:

Guys, what the hell? If this thing is translated, then why isn’t it available on the PAL store? There’s no excuse for this.

And of course, because you guys are averse to doing anything with the Store when it’s not a Thursday, we’re forced to wait at least a week for something we should have today.

Oh, and it’s kinda lame that it doesn’t work in Remote Play. Seems perfect for bedtime reading, and I can’t imagine that a lightweight app like this would have problems when Lair runs fine.

+ DG on June 19th, 2008 at 9:55 am said:

Very cool idea, I can’t wait to check it out. Keep the MGS4 stuff coming and I’ll eat it up.

+ Kedaro on June 19th, 2008 at 9:58 am said:

I was so upset I didn’t get to go, but I did call all my buddies in LA to try to get them to get me a signed copy… David Hayter is my hero… ever since those cheesy North American B-movie adaptations of the Japanese comic/anime Guyver, lol!

+ xaos on June 19th, 2008 at 10:04 am said:

This really is an awesome freebie; not as awesome as releasing MGS1 as a PS1 classic, mind you… :)

+ Baseman on June 19th, 2008 at 10:18 am said:

Is there just ONE reason why we europeans get shafted again?

I´m really really disappointed. :(