Bloodborne

PlayStation Store Update

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Jun 19, 2008 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

Hey, everyone. It’s time again for the PLAYSTATION Store weekly update.

Downloadable Games

Fatal Inertia EX ($29.99)
Climb into the cockpit and experience a brave new world of combat racing. Fatal Inertia EX lets you battle at high-speed using an unconventional array of weapons designed around realistic principles of physics and magnetism.
ESRB Rated E10+
File size: 906 MB

Add-on Game Content

Hot Shots Golf: Out Of Bounds Oceania Course ($4.99)
Download the new Oceania course now available for play in Hot Shots Golf: Out Of Bounds. Take your favorite players and caddies and tee it up on this new, beautifully designed Oceania course and see if you have what it takes your game to a new level of play.
File size: 100 KB

Metal Gear Solid 4 Database (free)
The entire Metal Gear saga is now at your fingertips!
Information on characters, weapons and plot elements from Metal Gear (1987) to Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008), accessible from three different perspectives: an encyclopedia, a relationship map, and a timeline. This digital supplement is a must-have for every Metal Gear fan!
File size: 77 MB

The Incredible Hulk Downloadable Content (free)
In addition to the epic single-player experience, THE INCREDIBLE HULK’s downloadable bonus content includes six competitive two-player mission types that test the speed, strength and skill of PS3 gamers everywhere.
File size: 381 MB

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Coldplay Track Pack ($6.25)
Three pack download containing the songs “Violet Hill”, “Talk”, “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face” by Coldplay. For all song credits please visit www.redoctane.com.
File size: 45.2 MB

Rock Band
Build your Rock Band library by purchasing these song game tracks. For song credits, visit www.RockBand.com.

• “Rock ‘n’ Roll Dream” – Crooked X ($0.99)
  • “Afterlife” – Avenged Sevenfold ($1.99)
  • “Critical Acclaim” – Avenged Sevenfold ($1.99)
  • “Hammerhead” – The Offspring ($1.99)

File sizes: 25.7 MB – 53.2 MB

Game Demos (free)

Fatal Inertia EX Trial
Climb into the cockpit and experience a brave new world of combat racing.
ESRB Rated E10+
File size: 542 MB

NCAA Football 09 Demo
NCAA Football 09 arrives on campus with groundbreaking college animations and controls and all the excitement of a storied college bowl game. Develop an adrenaline-pumping home field atmosphere and see if you can build your legacy in the online Dynasty mode.
ESRB Rated E
File size: 1.50 GB

Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 Demo
One of the most popular arcade shooters is back! Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 revives classic Commando action with an all new adventure.
ESRB Rating T
File size: 112 MB

Hail to the Chimp Demo
Hail to the Chimp is a fast, furious, and funny action-party game where you and up to three friends compete to become the first President of the animal kingdom!
ESRB Rated T
File size: 374 MB

Game Videos (free)

Linger in Shadows Trailer
Linger in Shadows is an interactive coffee table piece created by a collective of artists who call themselves Plastic based in Poland. This experiment into the demoscene brings new talent with a fresh approach to interactive art into the industry. Navigate through various segments and unlock both primary and secondary goals to find the rips in reality.
File size: 68 MB (HD)

PAIN: Character Intro Trailer
What new….er….WHO’S new in PAIN? Take a look and see the latest downloadable launchees. Jarvis introduces a nurse, cheerleader, ninja, pirate, and a punk rocker who are ready to launch into superstardom….or a wall – your call.
File size: 23 MB (SD), 83 MB (HD), 110 MB (1080)

Fatal Inertia EX Titan Trailer
Climb into the cockpit and experience a brave new world of combat racing.
File size: 178 MB (HD)

Golden Axe: Beast Rider Teaser Trailer
One of SEGA’s most popular franchises storms onto the PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system. As the unstoppable Tyris Flare, players will engage in vicious melee combat both on foot and atop massive mythical beasts, savaging enemies with blades and magic on a quest for vengeance – Watch the Teaser Trailer now!
File size: 12 MB (SD), 44 MB (HD), 58 MB (1080)

Prince of Persia Debut Trailer
Download the first trailer and discover the new Prince of Persia!
File size: 12 MB (SD), 45 MB (HD), 75 MB (1080)

Hail to the Chimp ‘Campaign Trail Madness’ Trailer
Take a trip with Crackers and the other candidates as they rally support on the campaign trail!
File size: 73 MB (HD)

Movie and Blu-ray Trailers (free)

Step Brothers (x2)
Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, who last teamed in the box-office smash Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, now star in Step Brothers.
File size: 30-31 MB (SD), 110-114 MB (HD), 151-176 MB (1080)

PS3 Themes (free)

AST Dew Tour Theme
Customize your PS3 system with a cool AST Dew Tour theme. This theme allows you to change up the look of your background and XMB icons. Download today!
File size: 1.69 MB

Game Music (free)

PAIN Theme Song
P-A-I-N, P-A-I-N…You’ve heard it while PAIN is loading, now you can download the PAIN theme song and listen to it while you play.
File size: 5.10 MB

PLAYSTATION Store for PC

Here is this week’s content release for the PLAYSTATION Store for PC. To download these games to your PSP, navigate to http://store.playstation.com. There, you’ll find descriptions of the content and directions on how to get started. For more on the PLAYSTATION Store for PC, please click here.

Downloadable Games

* Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure ($14.99) (also downloadable via PS3)

Game Demos (free)

* Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (also downloadable via PS3)

Game Videos (free)

* Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror behind the scenes
* Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror full trailer

PSP Themes (free)

* AST Dew Tour Theme

Hope you enjoy!

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ ShadowofTime01 on June 20th, 2008 at 1:36 am said:

Sigh, does anyone know if sony is sticking with the MGS4 bundle? I’m hearing mixed things from different people and I really want to purchase a PS3, but i can’t find the 80GB MGS4 bundle anywhere… info would be much appreciated.

+ nitro_159 on June 20th, 2008 at 1:48 am said:

Yet I remain confused as to why the UK store doesn’t get the MGS database :(

+ LoveToPanic on June 20th, 2008 at 2:05 am said:

American PSN users you are soo lucky you have SCEA and that they respect their customers because im sure you have heard it’s a different case over at SCEE!!

We are constantly shafted by SCEE getting content months later after you guys get with no good reason as to why we had to wait, We also get lied to and excuses made up such as the time it takes to translate etc

This is a load of trash seeing as you have the MGS enclopedia and England also speaks english so i don’t see why they couldn’t of given it to us.

You are also lucky too be getting the 80GB MGS PS3 cause all of us over here would kill to buy a proper one for the SCEE teritory, Also think yourselves lucky that you pay 2x less for your hardware and software than what we do.

At the end of the day we have been treated poorly and now it is time to change! Im sorry if you american people hate us english people moaning on your blog but it is the only way we can get our message across

There is no blog on the EU website and if there was it would be full of complaints but then again no one would bother to anwser them.

Employees of SCEA please see that there is a big problem with the SCEE store and please try and do something about this because SONY are starting to lose their good name in the UK

+ DoberMann on June 20th, 2008 at 2:37 am said:

Looks like a great update especially the Metal Gear Database!

+ AdversaryofGod on June 20th, 2008 at 3:37 am said:

Finished Metal Gear Solid this week and will replay it this weekend! Thx for the MGS Database!!

+ mlataupe on June 20th, 2008 at 4:19 am said:

Hey guys, I love the blog. Being from Europe I wish your friends at SCEE did the same.
Overall I feel like european customers are really let down. They get charged 50-60% sometimes a 100% for similar content… that is if we get it.
I have the feeling that the MGS Database is not going to make it to Europe any time soon. :/ Not to mention Echochrome that’s apparently only getting a UMD release over here for a mere 30€ (45$ that’s right) or Patapon that’s 40€ (60$, you’re correct).

Pricing is ludicrous whial some of the cool stuff like the MGS Database never make it to our region.

I understand there are legal issues and that pricing depends on ditribution. But as far as PSN is concerned pricing and content release policy in Europe must change if you guys want to push the service forward on our old continent.

+ jqtaxpayer on June 20th, 2008 at 5:38 am said:

Hmm… I purchased the Oceania course, but I don’t see it. Do I have to unlock it in challenge mode? And I bought the characters but don’t see them either.

+ wOoOzZy on June 20th, 2008 at 5:39 am said:

I have a little over 3GB of free space left on my PS3 but when I try to download the NCAA 09 (1.5GB) demo, it tells me I don’t have enough space left on my hard disk.

Can anyone offer me some help?

+ kronk on June 20th, 2008 at 6:42 am said:

Maybe some space is reserved for caching?

I’ve read on a dutch website that the European version of the MGS database probably is coming next week. They contacted Konami Netherlands and they gave this answer.

+ Desidarious on June 20th, 2008 at 7:00 am said:

That PAIN game looks like TONS-O-FUN!

+ Desidarious on June 20th, 2008 at 7:03 am said:

RE:152,155,etal.

Sony, what’s up with you guys screwing our European brothers and sisters like that?

+ TouchyEd on June 20th, 2008 at 7:12 am said:

@157

Games are downloaded in a compressed (“zipped”) format. While a file may only be 1.5GB to download, it might actually require 3GB to decompress (or “unzip”) the file. The unzipping happens during the installation process.

Can anyone offer some help? Yah, delete some of the stuff off your PS3 hard-drive.

Get rid of stuff you rarely or never use.

+ WHAT on June 20th, 2008 at 7:43 am said:

Jeff, you should start a PlayStation.blog MGO clan.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on June 20th, 2008 at 11:11 am said:

I like that. Once I beat the main game (been real busy, on Act 4 now), I\’ll do that.

+ Schitthammer on June 20th, 2008 at 7:50 am said:

As someone else pointed out, please try and get the Metal Gear Digital Graphic Novel on the PSN. It would be a great addition.

+ bigfnrabbit on June 20th, 2008 at 8:05 am said:

DOOES ANYONE EVER ANSWER QUESTIONS ON THIS BLOG I GOT A REALLY EASY QUESTION WHEN DO QORE USERS GET TO DOWNLOAD THE SOCOM BETA?????????

+ zeke2040 on June 20th, 2008 at 8:27 am said:

wow this is a great update, keep up the good work sony like always… i love the hulk content and metal gear solid database, i think every MGS4 fan should have it…

+ eldiablo19922 on June 20th, 2008 at 8:39 am said:

Man, We need to get more content! We have had PSP’s for a lot longer than people owned PS3′s, We should get seniority!

+ mendezgato on June 20th, 2008 at 8:41 am said:

+ mlataupe on June 20th, 2008 at 8:58 am said:

[you know what is so anoying is all the people complaining about the european store, but what can you do we cry because they get more ps1 games than us, and how japan gets stuff first, they cry because we get exclusives, and japan complaints because w get some games before them. is it that the world just want to cry about something, i don’t know, good update. thanks sony]

people are not whining for the sake of it.
Europeans already pay their PSN purchase up to twice as much as what US players pay. I’m not even talking about retail stuff cause there can be distribution issues. Also I understand that Sony has limited over 3rd party content pricing.

But come on, Patapon 60$!!!! Echochrome only available on UMD and for 3 times its original price… those are Sony games and it’s SCEE that sets pricing for those in their region. And now one of the very rare quality content that’s free is available everywhere except in Europe. It’s not even a localisation issue as MGS DB already had european language on it eversince it came out on the Japanese PSN.

Hopefully it will come out in here. But we won’t know about it until it’s released cause SCEE won’t even try to communicate with Sony’s fanbase.

What lesson should we learn from this? That we should violate PSN terms of service and create US or Japanese accounts?
I’m very inclined to do so indeed…

+ reson8er on June 20th, 2008 at 9:07 am said:

Great update! Thank you :)

After seeing that Naruto PS3 will be getting an exclusive demo in Qore, I’m definately subscribing.

I would also like to tank Konami for bringing the TOTALLY AWESOME MGS Database to us.

Its truly a great piece of documentation.

+ reson8er on June 20th, 2008 at 9:09 am said:

Oh and a question;

Will we be seeing the Wipeout pulse DLC anytime soon?

Thanks in advance if you reply to my question.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on June 20th, 2008 at 11:11 am said:

I\’ve been told that there is some in the works. We\’ll have more details for you soon.

+ bigfnrabbit on June 20th, 2008 at 10:04 am said:

WHEN DO QORE USERS GET TO DOWNLOAD THE SOCOM BETA?????WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF ANSWERING QUESTIONS SHOULD BE FIRED.SO ONE MORE TIME WHEN DO QORE USERS GET TO DOWNLOAD THE SOCOM BETA?HOPEFULLY NOT WHEN ITS OVER.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on June 20th, 2008 at 11:12 am said:

Well, since you\’re threatening my job…

SOCOM.com will have all the updates on the SOCOM beta. We\’ll likely duplicate information as well, but that should be your total SOCOM source.

+ mendezgato on June 20th, 2008 at 10:20 am said:

@ gamesblow you lying troll there is a demo for that game, and you sir blow more than games i told you that already.

+ DaChinPin on June 20th, 2008 at 10:45 am said:

I was really curious after watching Linger in the Shadows trailer…Thing is I’ve watched it about 2 months ago already. I rally expected NEW information on the title, and if it really is a title rather than a tech demo. And if it is a title, is there any way we’d get the title this year on PSN or even get a glimpse or new info about it on E3?

+ bigfnrabbit on June 20th, 2008 at 11:52 am said:

TO JEFF RUBENSTEIN the only reason i made that comment about firing you is because for the last 2 weeks ive been asking the same question and with no reply i was getting angry. when I got the annual subscription for Qore we were told we would have access to the SOCOM BETA. Then when it went live 2 weeks 1 day ago I was pumped but then found out we would have to wait for 2 weeks well now its been 2 weeks plus and still nothing and it also seems as though im gonna be waiting longer as u cant answer my question as to when?Im a loyal playstation fan I have 24 disc based playstation games and nearly all of your downloadable games minus 6 or 7 I know that doesnt mean anything but im a loyal fan to your brand always will be and always was since the first playstation.I guess I shouldnt be such an A hole but im very anxcious to play this game and was one of the big reasons I got Qore.Also I know I could go to socom.com for answers but I shouldnt have to I thought the reason you guys have this blog is to inform us on new and upcoming products and answer our questions.I could be wrong though. anyways at least I got a response not the one I was looking for but a response none the less.I still LOVE sony(everyone who is involved with them) and your products and I will be patiently waiting for my chance to play SOCOM.

+ djratchet on June 20th, 2008 at 12:25 pm said:

Just wondering. Why do PC PlayStation Store users unable to get the PAIN theme song or the God of War GH song? I would love to have them on my PSP.

+ Scodo_Thope on June 20th, 2008 at 12:33 pm said:

Happy Update! Like the demos!

Its Fryiee-daeey, time for a little HOME time!

+ TouchyEd on June 20th, 2008 at 1:27 pm said:

JEFF:

The SOCOM beta incentive for purchasing QORE is not a SOCOM issue, it’s a QORE issue.

At the very least, it was blatantly deceptive.

At the worst, it was a boldface lie used to get additional subscriptions to the e-zine.

We paid for a product. We expect it to be delivered.

GIVE ANSWERS, NOT MIS-DIRECTION.

+ TristanMike on June 20th, 2008 at 1:28 pm said:

@ gamesblow

So the moral of the story is to NEVER buy Pain and to not update it if you were one of the suckers who bought it ? Did I get that right ?

+ TouchyEd on June 20th, 2008 at 1:34 pm said:

My comment above was based on faulty information (#178). I’ve just learned that the SOCOM beta has not started yet.

Please disregard my ignorant rant.

+ DaChinPin on June 20th, 2008 at 2:30 pm said:

+ gamesblow on June 20th, 2008 at 5:20 pm said:

@ mendezgato

Maybe you should learn to read a bit better. As noted in a post on page 3 I made mention I was wrong about the demo for Fatal Inertia. I couldn’t check the store cause my ps3 was having problems after installing the Pain update.

Things are sense worked out and everything is back to normal now.

@ Tristanmike

Pain’s a good game. It wasn’t the update that did it. It was my hdd I bought. I am sending it back as we speak and getting A western Digital. Samsungs just don’t jive with Sony products I’ve come to find out. A vaio went bust on me because of a Samsung hdd one time.

+ gamesblow on June 20th, 2008 at 5:26 pm said:

Since I am here I might as well ask Jeff or Noel or anyone on hand my weekly/daily burning question.

1 – Are we ever going to get Suikoden, Suikoden 2, alundra, Tomba, Legend of Dragoon. Resident Evil D.C., Silent hill, Metal gear solid for the PSN this year or next?

2 – When/if in game xmb hits will I be able to switch resolutions in game? I ask this cause I have such a problem with forgetting to switch off 1080p and going back to 720p in my settings. I’ll play uncharted, Warhawk. COd4 and several others without 720p checked but when I go to play a game that doesn’t support 1080p it always boots in 480p and I have to quit out of it and recheck it. It’s a hassle.

I want this feature more than any other feature xmb could bring, by the way.

Thanks for your time, if any.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Noel Silvia on June 21st, 2008 at 2:55 pm said:

Hey, gamesblow.
    1 – We\’re always working to get more PSone Classics released here in the North American territory. I can\’t comment on when new titles will be available, but it\’s something we\’re trying to improve upon (number and variety of titles) and more are on their way.
    2 – I haven\’t gotten my hands on the new FW, but Eric will be posting something regarding the upcoming firmware soon, and we\’ll try to get your question answered then.

Glad to hear you got your PS3 working again, and keep reading for more info!

+ CyberChrist on June 20th, 2008 at 8:32 pm said:

What happened to Syphon Filter 3?

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Noel Silvia on June 21st, 2008 at 2:56 pm said:

Syphon Filter 3 was released on both PlayStation Stores last week (June 12) for play on both PS3 and PSP systems.
    Since it\’s an M-rated title, it won\’t appear in your Store if you are under-age.
    Hope this helps!

+ gamesblow on June 21st, 2008 at 6:01 am said:

It’s still there man. Well, on my PS3 it is. I bought it last week, loved it. Want more ps1 games. Listening Sony?

+ rower002 on June 21st, 2008 at 2:08 pm said:

is there a chance to see Extreme Pinball (ps1) or even Gottlieb Pinball Classics (ps2) on psn store on day? or is there a pinball game for ps3 in dev by now? i would love to have a pinball game playable on my ps3 and 42″ lcd…

+ iPLAY on June 21st, 2008 at 2:10 pm said:

when is 2.4 update coming?

+ iPLAY on June 21st, 2008 at 2:17 pm said:

when i bought my ps3 i bought everything i needed for my entertainment i boght a SONY BRAVIA 1080p 42″ LCD HDTV, a SONY home theater 5.1 channel HD surround sound, motorstorm, warhawk, heavenly sword, resistance fall of man, 3 blu ray movies, the playstation eye, and 3 dualshock 3 controllers. all in the same day in the same store BESTBUY.

+ iPLAY on June 21st, 2008 at 2:17 pm said:

love you sony keep up the good work

+ Ryuujin1024 on June 21st, 2008 at 2:39 pm said:

I’d just like to say that i too am appalled by the SCEE version of the store compared with other regions.
On other regions you can tell what kind of content the system is for thanks to the icon at the bottom of the icon, and it also has a size in the title which the SCEE version doesn’t, plus other have more categories and that little list on the front page of most downloaded ect. Let alone the lack of content, no Qore and a few titles which will go unpublished. Add to that no DS3 and backwards compatibility. It is just diabolical what is going on at SCEE at the moment.

+ BabeBro on June 21st, 2008 at 5:38 pm said:

Great update can’t wait for what’s to come!

+ gamesblow on June 21st, 2008 at 6:59 pm said:

Good deal, at the very least we know they’re trying for the psone games here in the states.

Thanks for the heads up! I know I’m just one consumer but I’ve bought damn near every Ps1 game out so far. The thing I was really hoping for was something Jack Trenton once said.

“We hope to release games on the PSN that maybe weren’t big sellers. Not popular amongst the main consumer but are still great games and even games never released in certain territors”

I say this and bring it back up cause there were so many games on Ps1 that I missed out on and would love the chance to go back thru and get. Heart of Darkness for one.

Anyways, thanks for keepin’ us in the loop and no worries on the xmb thing. It’s not my main concern anyways. I’d much rather just have the resolution swap than in game music or messaging, myself.

+ Auroura on June 21st, 2008 at 8:27 pm said:

The Next Qore Issue Sounds Awesome!
I Hope to hear more info about my favorite Fighter Tekken 6
Will it have dedicated Servers?
Also I Seriously think Qore Should Be At E3 Interviewing And Showing us All The Games Premiering E3!
Including the Big Titles!
It Would Be Like BackStage Passes!
Cheers To Sony, Qore, My Favorite Fighter Tekken, and Everything There

+ juuken on June 22nd, 2008 at 8:10 am said:

Nice update, keep it up!

+ BitRunner on June 23rd, 2008 at 7:13 am said:

Just wanted to say that seeing the trailer for Linger in Shadows really firmed up my opinion of Sony against any other gaming company. As a demoscene fan of probably close to 15 years now I never expected to see a gaming company take an active interest in something that, not to my surprise, after reading the comments on Kotaku and other sites, most of the game playing base has no clue about but is probably one of the more influential sources for developers pushing the hardware limits in the gaming industry. I’ve never seen any other gaming system have demoscene related demos on it other than when systems have been emulated and homebrewn productions have been made.

At any rate, it’s very cool to see Sony take an active interest in the demoscene, I hope that more groups like farb rausch and fairlight do demos for the PS3 in the future. Even more so, I hope that eventually something is opened up to allow groups to program demos and other games on the PS3 hardware, something much like XNA but without the speed limitations of the .NET framework, keeping it native C++/OpenGL like it should be.

For the rest of you gamers who are wondering what the demoscene is all about, it’s a consortium of computer hobbyists that get together and make productions that take coding, artwork, 3d modeling and texturing, and music, and maybe even literature, and put them all together in the form of something that kind of resembles a music video, which is much more popular in Europe than it is here in the US. Basically the production demos or intros they make not only show off their talents but help them develop in whatever their skill is and also inspire others, giving them unique and challenging problems to solve in their trades that they otherwise wouldn’t get just working a regular job. I got interested in coding years ago because of the demoscene and now work today as a developer where otherwise I wouldn’t have for example.

Here are a few sources: