Far Cry 4

PSP (PlayStation Portable) v4.01 Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jun 24, 2008 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hey everyone, here’s a quick heads up that a new PSP system software update, v4.01, will be released soon. This minor update includes the following:

• Display of search results under Internet Search has been improved for certain languages.
  • Playback of video content under Video has been improved for certain file types.

Look for this update to become available during the next few hours.

184 Comments

+ HorizonShadow on June 24th, 2008 at 7:16 pm said:

@65

you sound like you were part of the ETQW community before release…

i was there, ID’s official release date was actually “when it’s done”

+ Nynja on June 24th, 2008 at 7:17 pm said:

WOW… The PSN store loads much quicker now! Did the update have anything to do with this?

Nice work if it did or didn’t!

+ skynidas on June 24th, 2008 at 7:18 pm said:

@Nynja
What update????

+ HorizonShadow on June 24th, 2008 at 7:19 pm said:

@70

they did PSN matenience today (Spelling?)

+ skynidas on June 24th, 2008 at 7:19 pm said:

@71
Oh ok

+ stennex on June 24th, 2008 at 7:20 pm said:

Another update already. I hope the next one will make the browser much better, maybe as good as the iPhone browser.

+ AwRy108 on June 24th, 2008 at 7:24 pm said:

Great, now our Google searches will be more useful, but the PSP’s web browser is still 99% useless because of the lack of cache. Meh.

+ MeltTech on June 24th, 2008 at 7:28 pm said:

Thanks for the update (notification) Eric. I’ll download and install it later, too busy watching my Georgia Dawgs in the CWS.

Have you noticed trouble w/ video playback on the PS3 while on the browser, and audio loss now while viewing, for instance, Youtube videos on the PS3?

Anyway to improve the videos watched from XMB also? I hate the dreaded || symbol when my music videos stop. Also, yet’s get a shuffle, repeat folder option for videos too. I several music videos I’d like to shuffle during parties.

Thanks Eric,

Looking forward to 2.4 in good ole’ Athens, GA!

+ kenji on June 24th, 2008 at 7:30 pm said:

Eric how about getting some real PS1 titles released to the PSN?

+ HorizonShadow on June 24th, 2008 at 7:33 pm said:

@78

Legend Of Dragoon =]

+ MrFenwick on June 24th, 2008 at 7:34 pm said:

Wonder what everyone will cry about after 2.4 is released…. Hmmm…

Nice update. Hope to see more in the future!

+ HorizonShadow on June 24th, 2008 at 7:36 pm said:

@80

prolly complain that in-game XMB isn’t good enough…

my personal style of in-game XMB was it be a circle in the bottom left corner… but a quater of it would be off screen..

+ HorizonShadow on June 24th, 2008 at 7:42 pm said:

@83

for what XD

+ janga on June 24th, 2008 at 7:44 pm said:

we don’t need update fw 2.4

don’t worry about it

we can wait until X-mas…

+ thatsmartguywiththefro on June 24th, 2008 at 7:44 pm said:

@skynidas
he didn’t say 2.4 was coming soon, that was 2.36. He said he would be releasing details on 2.4 shortly, so if we get no new info this week something’s wrong.

+ lakaihigh on June 24th, 2008 at 7:46 pm said:

yeah that was fast! bug fixes are also welcome. I wish I knew what was in store for future PSP updates. I know you guys were talking about the PSN being accessible on the go, maybe 2.5 or 3.00? DivX and a new browser would be nice too. I’m just happy sony hasn’t dropped the ball on the PSP. its a warm feeling everytime I update it and find easter eggs inside the basket.

cheers,
Lh

+ thatsmartguywiththefro on June 24th, 2008 at 7:47 pm said:

shut the [DELETED] up cxplorer, please.
Posting “Where is update 2.40?! I want in game xmb!!Where is update 2.40?!” over and over will have no effect on Eric’s decision to disclose information.

+ Ghostm on June 24th, 2008 at 7:48 pm said:

To whom it may concern,

Thank you so much for that maintenance. My PSN Store is working super fast. I’m not sure what you guys did but it’s working wonders for my account.

Thanks.

+ VenomX on June 24th, 2008 at 7:52 pm said:

Lol @ janga. Don’t say that!

+ VenomX on June 24th, 2008 at 7:53 pm said:

@thatsmartguywiththefro

Don’t worry about it. I’ll delete it right now.

+ MistaBubbleZ on June 24th, 2008 at 7:59 pm said:

Every time Sony has something big for us, they never give any good info on it. Home is the only “big thing” that sony has really shed light on. I’m only 14 years old and sony is already driving me crazy!!!!

+ XD9 on June 24th, 2008 at 8:00 pm said:

here we go again with the updates to update the updates!!!

so much for testing this s__t b4 you release it

cant wait to see the errors fw 2.40 will have

+ HorizonShadow on June 24th, 2008 at 8:05 pm said:

@98

technically “grow up” means nothing…being a child is a state of mind not a state of age =]

+ thingg on June 24th, 2008 at 8:07 pm said:

@#85
get a life…

OT: cool, but I don’t have a PSP…

+ VenomX on June 24th, 2008 at 8:12 pm said:

Buy a PSP. It’s a great portable gaming system.

+ Chants_Is_My_PSN on June 24th, 2008 at 8:14 pm said:

Everyone calm down. The v2.40 update probably isn’t releasing tonight, Eric always gives us the heads up before it releases. Eric also said that he would post some details about it soon. There always might be some technical issues going on with the update too. You never know.

+ burntFM on June 24th, 2008 at 8:27 pm said:

i wish the PSP updates would give us new features instead of tweaking the ones we already have……but i can only wish.

+ gamelover2 on June 24th, 2008 at 8:29 pm said:

I cant wait to download as well.

+ tretle on June 24th, 2008 at 8:38 pm said:

On the topic of psp firmware releases. I havent used my psp in a long time.. None of the firmware releases have made me want to use it either. Skype for psp, Google for psp.. How about proper integration with the playstation network. A friends list, universal psn id?
Please stop releasing gimmicky updates for the psp.

+ sinenV on June 24th, 2008 at 8:38 pm said:

OK nice update, kinda. but WHAT file types are we talking about? support for different file types I hope. And sony WHERE IS THE FLASH UPDATE?! We need it to watch youtube cnet and other sites like that! it’s been a long time, just do it already!

+ shrimpdude on June 24th, 2008 at 9:16 pm said:

I don’t care about improvements to the video player unless it means DivX/XviD support.

And all of these 2.40 comments are giving me an ulcer.

+ B1ack_Mage on June 24th, 2008 at 9:17 pm said:

Always nice to see a firmware update, especially if it’s 2.4! ;)

Also, in japan square enix is bring classic games to the store, such as xenogears and other classic RPG’s.. SCEA, I’m begging you, bring them out HERE! thank you

+ RWDY on June 24th, 2008 at 9:40 pm said:

Take all the time you need for 2.4, guys! We want it to compete quality-wise with Live, after all! :D

+ RelentlessRolento on June 24th, 2008 at 9:43 pm said:

can everyone calm down about the firmware of 2.40 already?

since everyone wants to know already here you go:

It’ll be dropping between/during July 1st-3rd

Don’t believe me? Wait till those days show up…

+ Korlithiel on June 24th, 2008 at 10:00 pm said:

Good to hear your fixing bugs, now I wonder how long until we get more video file support since even WMV files of the same quality take up less space then mp4.

+ Aaron on June 24th, 2008 at 10:23 pm said:

Man I cant wait until you need a PSN account to comment on the blog. How is that feature coming Jeff? We need t get rid of these unthankful spamming kids.

+ Jeigh on June 24th, 2008 at 10:43 pm said:

Thanks for the continued and thorough support of my favorite portable entertainment system. :D

+ CBK_CH4RLEZ on June 24th, 2008 at 11:07 pm said:

i kinda feel the same as some. people should only be leaving a comment if they have a ps3 or psp system. for all we kno xbox people can be hear spreading lies and being fools. the update seems kool but whut files are supported under video? also whens Super Street Fighter 2 turbo coming out? ne ways thanks to the workers at SCEA you do a awesome job. and keep it up.

+ mrbelou on June 24th, 2008 at 11:20 pm said:

Oh my good you can’t be serious
this new firmware sucks you call that 4.00 and 4.01 it’s only an update with minor changes, not a real firmware like 2.00 or 3.XX

I have new slogan for you:

It’s a trick, it’s a Sony (2003)

+ The Mosh on June 24th, 2008 at 11:29 pm said:

nice update on the psp
still looking forward for 2.40 though

+ Zta on June 24th, 2008 at 11:40 pm said:

Thanks for taking your time to fix even minor bugs in the PSP and ensuring its great quality. (Oh why do I even bother, this message is drowning in 2.40 off-topic crap from kids)

+ mrbelou on June 24th, 2008 at 11:51 pm said:

crappy update, where are:

support Divx/Xvid?
PSN access with PSP?
Ingame XMB ?
net browser improvement ?
remote control for PS3 game ?

+ Zta on June 25th, 2008 at 12:16 am said:

Not to forget: Skype video support (for PSP of course)

+ the_icon on June 25th, 2008 at 12:42 am said:

Not to be rude but, I hate these minor updates. You guy could have delayed it a few days for the 4.00 one. Anyways please 2.40 PS3

+ 2ndPSP on June 25th, 2008 at 1:04 am said:

This oughta tell you something about me, I just looked at my PSP and I’m still running 3.8. Heh, guess I can’t keep up with stuff.

+ Silencer on June 25th, 2008 at 2:07 am said:

Glad firmware update came out on psp.

i am looking forward to the interactivity between the PSP and PS3 in the future.

+ vandam on June 25th, 2008 at 3:04 am said:

Great i’m still on 3.95 Can’t update untill they release it on PC No Wi-Fi. But I Go to SCEE web site and there ON IT. WHY?

+ espiox on June 25th, 2008 at 3:22 am said:

Great update Sony! Nice to see you’re quick with fixing fw problems.

Just so you know, the PS Store for PC isn’t working properly in FireFox 3 (the front page listings don’t load up.)

+ pspjoke on June 25th, 2008 at 3:30 am said:

…Guys(girls) this is a psp firmware update… NOT A PS3 UPDATE!!! IT MEANS THE PSP HAS A FIRMWARE UPDATE! NOT THE PS3!

you guys are so lame, 2.4! 2.4!! OMG this must mean 2.4 is gonna be out soon!!!!!

…really..
shut up.

talk about the 4.01 update for PSP here not 2.4 for the PS3.

just letting you know, you guys are lame.
(no offense to the people that didn’t say anything about 2.4)

+ kingv84 on June 25th, 2008 at 3:37 am said:

Come on Eric, you said soon for more information on PS3 update 2.40. I guess soon for Sony means months later or years. God, is it that hard to at least set timeframe for this much anticipated update for the PS3. Hurry!