Call of Duty Infinite Warfare

Jun 24

Jun 24

PSP (PlayStation Portable) v4.01 Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, PlayStation Network

Hey everyone, here’s a quick heads up that a new PSP system software update, v4.01, will be released soon. This minor update includes the following:

• Display of search results under Internet Search has been improved for certain languages.
  • Playback of video content under Video has been improved for certain file types.

Look for this update to become available during the next few hours.

Add Your Own

HorizonShadow said:

June 24th, 7:16 pm

@65

you sound like you were part of the ETQW community before release…

i was there, ID’s official release date was actually “when it’s done”

Nynja said:

June 24th, 7:17 pm

WOW… The PSN store loads much quicker now! Did the update have anything to do with this?

Nice work if it did or didn’t!

skynidas said:

June 24th, 7:18 pm

@Nynja
What update????

HorizonShadow said:

June 24th, 7:19 pm

@70

they did PSN matenience today (Spelling?)

skynidas said:

June 24th, 7:19 pm

@71
Oh ok

stennex said:

June 24th, 7:20 pm

Another update already. I hope the next one will make the browser much better, maybe as good as the iPhone browser.

AwRy108 said:

June 24th, 7:24 pm

Great, now our Google searches will be more useful, but the PSP’s web browser is still 99% useless because of the lack of cache. Meh.

MeltTech said:

June 24th, 7:28 pm

Thanks for the update (notification) Eric. I’ll download and install it later, too busy watching my Georgia Dawgs in the CWS.

Have you noticed trouble w/ video playback on the PS3 while on the browser, and audio loss now while viewing, for instance, Youtube videos on the PS3?

Anyway to improve the videos watched from XMB also? I hate the dreaded || symbol when my music videos stop. Also, yet’s get a shuffle, repeat folder option for videos too. I several music videos I’d like to shuffle during parties.

Thanks Eric,

Looking forward to 2.4 in good ole’ Athens, GA!

kenji said:

June 24th, 7:30 pm

Eric how about getting some real PS1 titles released to the PSN?

HorizonShadow said:

June 24th, 7:33 pm

@78

Legend Of Dragoon =]

MrFenwick said:

June 24th, 7:34 pm

Wonder what everyone will cry about after 2.4 is released…. Hmmm…

Nice update. Hope to see more in the future!

HorizonShadow said:

June 24th, 7:36 pm

@80

prolly complain that in-game XMB isn’t good enough…

my personal style of in-game XMB was it be a circle in the bottom left corner… but a quater of it would be off screen..

HorizonShadow said:

June 24th, 7:42 pm

@83

for what XD

janga said:

June 24th, 7:44 pm

we don’t need update fw 2.4

don’t worry about it

we can wait until X-mas…

thatsmartguywiththefro said:

June 24th, 7:44 pm

@skynidas
he didn’t say 2.4 was coming soon, that was 2.36. He said he would be releasing details on 2.4 shortly, so if we get no new info this week something’s wrong.

lakaihigh said:

June 24th, 7:46 pm

yeah that was fast! bug fixes are also welcome. I wish I knew what was in store for future PSP updates. I know you guys were talking about the PSN being accessible on the go, maybe 2.5 or 3.00? DivX and a new browser would be nice too. I’m just happy sony hasn’t dropped the ball on the PSP. its a warm feeling everytime I update it and find easter eggs inside the basket.

cheers,
Lh

thatsmartguywiththefro said:

June 24th, 7:47 pm

shut the [DELETED] up cxplorer, please.
Posting “Where is update 2.40?! I want in game xmb!!Where is update 2.40?!” over and over will have no effect on Eric’s decision to disclose information.

Ghostm said:

June 24th, 7:48 pm

To whom it may concern,

Thank you so much for that maintenance. My PSN Store is working super fast. I’m not sure what you guys did but it’s working wonders for my account.

Thanks.

VenomX said:

June 24th, 7:52 pm

Lol @ janga. Don’t say that!

VenomX said:

June 24th, 7:53 pm

@thatsmartguywiththefro

Don’t worry about it. I’ll delete it right now.

MistaBubbleZ said:

June 24th, 7:59 pm

Every time Sony has something big for us, they never give any good info on it. Home is the only “big thing” that sony has really shed light on. I’m only 14 years old and sony is already driving me crazy!!!!

XD9 said:

June 24th, 8:00 pm

here we go again with the updates to update the updates!!!

so much for testing this s__t b4 you release it

cant wait to see the errors fw 2.40 will have

HorizonShadow said:

June 24th, 8:05 pm

@98

technically “grow up” means nothing…being a child is a state of mind not a state of age =]

thingg said:

June 24th, 8:07 pm

@#85
get a life…

OT: cool, but I don’t have a PSP…

VenomX said:

June 24th, 8:12 pm

Buy a PSP. It’s a great portable gaming system.

Chants_Is_My_PSN said:

June 24th, 8:14 pm

Everyone calm down. The v2.40 update probably isn’t releasing tonight, Eric always gives us the heads up before it releases. Eric also said that he would post some details about it soon. There always might be some technical issues going on with the update too. You never know.

burntFM said:

June 24th, 8:27 pm

i wish the PSP updates would give us new features instead of tweaking the ones we already have……but i can only wish.

gamelover2 said:

June 24th, 8:29 pm

I cant wait to download as well.

tretle said:

June 24th, 8:38 pm

On the topic of psp firmware releases. I havent used my psp in a long time.. None of the firmware releases have made me want to use it either. Skype for psp, Google for psp.. How about proper integration with the playstation network. A friends list, universal psn id?
Please stop releasing gimmicky updates for the psp.

sinenV said:

June 24th, 8:38 pm

OK nice update, kinda. but WHAT file types are we talking about? support for different file types I hope. And sony WHERE IS THE FLASH UPDATE?! We need it to watch youtube cnet and other sites like that! it’s been a long time, just do it already!

shrimpdude said:

June 24th, 9:16 pm

I don’t care about improvements to the video player unless it means DivX/XviD support.

And all of these 2.40 comments are giving me an ulcer.

B1ack_Mage said:

June 24th, 9:17 pm

Always nice to see a firmware update, especially if it’s 2.4! ;)

Also, in japan square enix is bring classic games to the store, such as xenogears and other classic RPG’s.. SCEA, I’m begging you, bring them out HERE! thank you

RWDY said:

June 24th, 9:40 pm

Take all the time you need for 2.4, guys! We want it to compete quality-wise with Live, after all! :D

RelentlessRolento said:

June 24th, 9:43 pm

can everyone calm down about the firmware of 2.40 already?

since everyone wants to know already here you go:

It’ll be dropping between/during July 1st-3rd

Don’t believe me? Wait till those days show up…

Korlithiel said:

June 24th, 10:00 pm

Good to hear your fixing bugs, now I wonder how long until we get more video file support since even WMV files of the same quality take up less space then mp4.

Aaron said:

June 24th, 10:23 pm

Man I cant wait until you need a PSN account to comment on the blog. How is that feature coming Jeff? We need t get rid of these unthankful spamming kids.

Jeigh said:

June 24th, 10:43 pm

Thanks for the continued and thorough support of my favorite portable entertainment system. :D

CBK_CH4RLEZ said:

June 24th, 11:07 pm

i kinda feel the same as some. people should only be leaving a comment if they have a ps3 or psp system. for all we kno xbox people can be hear spreading lies and being fools. the update seems kool but whut files are supported under video? also whens Super Street Fighter 2 turbo coming out? ne ways thanks to the workers at SCEA you do a awesome job. and keep it up.

mrbelou said:

June 24th, 11:20 pm

Oh my good you can’t be serious
this new firmware sucks you call that 4.00 and 4.01 it’s only an update with minor changes, not a real firmware like 2.00 or 3.XX

I have new slogan for you:

It’s a trick, it’s a Sony (2003)

The Mosh said:

June 24th, 11:29 pm

nice update on the psp
still looking forward for 2.40 though

Zta said:

June 24th, 11:40 pm

Thanks for taking your time to fix even minor bugs in the PSP and ensuring its great quality. (Oh why do I even bother, this message is drowning in 2.40 off-topic crap from kids)

mrbelou said:

June 24th, 11:51 pm

crappy update, where are:

support Divx/Xvid?
PSN access with PSP?
Ingame XMB ?
net browser improvement ?
remote control for PS3 game ?

Zta said:

June 25th, 12:16 am

Not to forget: Skype video support (for PSP of course)

the_icon said:

June 25th, 12:42 am

Not to be rude but, I hate these minor updates. You guy could have delayed it a few days for the 4.00 one. Anyways please 2.40 PS3

2ndPSP said:

June 25th, 1:04 am

This oughta tell you something about me, I just looked at my PSP and I’m still running 3.8. Heh, guess I can’t keep up with stuff.

Silencer said:

June 25th, 2:07 am

Glad firmware update came out on psp.

i am looking forward to the interactivity between the PSP and PS3 in the future.

vandam said:

June 25th, 3:04 am

Great i’m still on 3.95 Can’t update untill they release it on PC No Wi-Fi. But I Go to SCEE web site and there ON IT. WHY?

espiox said:

June 25th, 3:22 am

Great update Sony! Nice to see you’re quick with fixing fw problems.

Just so you know, the PS Store for PC isn’t working properly in FireFox 3 (the front page listings don’t load up.)

pspjoke said:

June 25th, 3:30 am

…Guys(girls) this is a psp firmware update… NOT A PS3 UPDATE!!! IT MEANS THE PSP HAS A FIRMWARE UPDATE! NOT THE PS3!

you guys are so lame, 2.4! 2.4!! OMG this must mean 2.4 is gonna be out soon!!!!!

…really..
shut up.

talk about the 4.01 update for PSP here not 2.4 for the PS3.

just letting you know, you guys are lame.
(no offense to the people that didn’t say anything about 2.4)

kingv84 said:

June 25th, 3:37 am

Come on Eric, you said soon for more information on PS3 update 2.40. I guess soon for Sony means months later or years. God, is it that hard to at least set timeframe for this much anticipated update for the PS3. Hurry!