PS4-Watch_Dogs

PSP (PlayStation Portable) v4.01 Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jun 24, 2008 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hey everyone, here’s a quick heads up that a new PSP system software update, v4.01, will be released soon. This minor update includes the following:

• Display of search results under Internet Search has been improved for certain languages.
  • Playback of video content under Video has been improved for certain file types.

Look for this update to become available during the next few hours.

184 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ theBishop on June 25th, 2008 at 10:27 am said:

Is the music management for PSP EVER going to be improved?

I want two things:

#1: PLAYLISTS (on the go, not m3us)

#2: Nested folders for Artist->Album->Song.mp3

Should be pretty basic stuff, but its still missing after 3 years. Makes using PSP as a multimedia device pretty sad.

+ stennex on June 25th, 2008 at 10:59 am said:

Well the update is out. My PSP has still not grown any wings. lol. Anyway the browser needs to be improved. I cannot stress how big this would be to PSP and us users if the browser functioned like the iPhones or better. Sony you have geniuses working for you where is the software support. A new browser is needed.

+ Fersis on June 25th, 2008 at 11:39 am said:

The browser is not maded by SONY.
Go and http://www.access-company.com/ and ask about the browser of the PSP and PS3.

Also the old Flash Player on PS3 is not SONY’s fault , adobe dont want to update it.

So go and get mad over them not SONY,go go!

+ jlch777 on June 25th, 2008 at 11:59 am said:

@163
Those basic features are the things that most be improved!!!
No pretty useless things like that Google search!!!!

+ RoAcH2285 on June 25th, 2008 at 12:08 pm said:

What? You guys deleted my comment. Maybe I’m right on that date, huh? Oh well. Its cool. I don’t understand why my mature comment was deleted but you guys left a bunch of comments that are just begging for you know what. Whatever. I’m not mad. I am looking forward to E3 though. :)

+ fredy182 on June 25th, 2008 at 1:00 pm said:

@137

HOME?

+ Korlithiel on June 25th, 2008 at 1:00 pm said:

After all these comments and those left in the previous PSP’s update blog, why don’t we hear thoughts on some of these new ideas?

If they don’t seem feasible, then let us know. If you don’t think we will enjoy them enough, we want to hear it.

More responses please. Getting tired of not knowing whats coming, and then getting an update like 4.00 which failed to contain new features.

+ tretle on June 25th, 2008 at 1:10 pm said:

If Sony are considering adding a psn fiends list to the psp could you please just get rid of the skype icon and just merge psn and skype into one system.
This would be handy for the ps3 too but could you please concentrate on making less intrusive features.
So please concentrate on gaming related features for psp updates in the future.

I have said it before and I will say it again, start up a website like dell idea storm.

Why should you do this? I know you have said before that thats what the blog is for but its getting a bit ridiculous. The Blog should be for announcements and developer previews etc.
The Playstation Idea Storm could be used to actually get a better understanding of what the consumer wants from the psp/ps3.
The best time to launch this would be just after 2.4 because in my personal opinion it requests will be more interesting and less repetitive after 2.40.
Also could you add a feature the blog comments called “me too”. This would allow people to see a comment like “Could you tell us when 2.40 is coming out?” and click a me too button to be added to a list. This would reduce the amount of spam on the blog because you wouldn’t have hundreds of repeated questions.

+ Riskbreaker23 on June 25th, 2008 at 1:57 pm said:

how about some xenogears and einhander to go with this update?

+ kenosaga on June 25th, 2008 at 2:06 pm said:

Xeno and Einhander would be nice, but considering which side of the ocean we’re on, I don’t see it happening. Sigh…

+ joel on June 25th, 2008 at 2:39 pm said:

I think square should release some of the PSN ps1 classics to the US store.

+ Juben on June 25th, 2008 at 3:53 pm said:

joel which ps1 classics on the jp side have they released on psn? I do not keep up on jp site so just curious.

I’m curious since a lot of people ask for square classics so often how much do you think psn and square should charge? FF7 (being the most wanted) easily sells on ebay for 39.99+ in many cases $99 bucks and varies. For Valkyrie profile and V.Story both sell for a goof ball amount of money along with parasite eve 1 and xenogears origins. I would suggest if you have a ps1 classic you have say it and then tell sony how much you would pay. If people are looking for a 9.99 solution for FF7 you have lost your minds. s… 19 or 29 is still too cheap for that game. I’m more of a collector so got my original and it works just fine ^.^. rather have a remake of 6 or 4 before 7 but thats just my opinion (Kefka is the best). I can tell you einhander did not do well in US it was down right close to being one of worst next to secret of evermore to hit the US.

Get at Actvision and tell them to get on the ball with tenchu they could take a tip from konami on how to do a stealth game on a new gen system because the one on the rival system did poor.

For capcom they should really make MVC2 online I’d honestly pay full price for that but make sure they make a good lobby system to challenge people and so on. MVC2 still sells for what it cost back in the day when it first came out.

+ Ardrid on June 25th, 2008 at 4:55 pm said:

Eric,

This is a complete aside to the topic at hand. When are the US/EU going to start seeing some of the PSX titles released on the PSN in Japan? I just read an article talking about six titles recently released, two in particular that I would love to have on my PS3/PSP: Xenogears and Einhander. At least tell me there are plans in the works to make this happen.

+ Korlithiel on June 25th, 2008 at 5:03 pm said:

A $9.99 solution to FFVII would be unlikely, but anything over $19.99 is unlikely to go over well when consumers can get custom firmware installed for less then that and then download ISO’s of the disks and play them on their PSP just fine.

Speaking of games I would like to see, it’s too bad the recent SE games getting released on the Japanese store haven’t at least been announced for the US store as many would gladly pay $9.99 to play those titles on their portables and PS3′s.

+ Crumpilstilskin on June 25th, 2008 at 6:32 pm said:

FFVII with remote play works beautifully…

+ maluraq on June 26th, 2008 at 6:26 am said:

Future firmware requests:
1) exporting of pictures/music/video over remote play to the PSP (triangle, copy, PSP remote from within remote play).
2) copying of video to the PSP with optional resizing of the video optimized for the PSP’s screen resolution and supported video formats
3) copying of pictures with optional resizing to the PSP’s screen resolution (instead of just cropping)
4) PSN friends access
5) Basic E-mail (IMAP would be best) support
6) A VNC client (unlikely, but I’d really like one).

+ SnakeEyes1980 on June 26th, 2008 at 6:37 am said:

This is Fun..To know that 4.00 and 4.01 was just the samething. Just that I got 4.00 about last then a week from 4.01. I was hoping for something different. Something that may help with maybe to get the psp working with ps3…? or Something that might help use have video under RSS. OR help PSP get something So that we can go to Youtube.com and get to see Video’s there. but atlast….Nothing for that…Just the same thing.

+ Logic24 on June 26th, 2008 at 7:05 am said:

Just read about direct connection to Playstation Store thru PSP.
SWEET.
Not in 4.01 but great to kno its on its way.

+ Juben on June 26th, 2008 at 12:20 pm said:

just don’t see FF7 going for 19.99 or less but more from a collectors point of view and from a business standpoint Square would be foolish to give away the game that has been hailed as their number 1 rpg (bs ff6 fft and ff4 were better but thats just imo). Square should easily recognize the demand for FF7 and make a lot of money from that fact. I could see secret of evermore for 9.99 but it never actually made it to the playstation. Not to say something offensive but super mario rpg which square helped with was a great game but I know that would never make it to our system for a million reasons. But in all honest I would say if they did a remake of FF7 with the new engine I’m betting it would sell for 49.99 or 59.99 special edition 79.99+

For Psp update, the only feature I would want is in europe right now which is the little camera and messenger program but even then I do not see myself using it that much it is more of a wow I have it then it will sit until the next ff remake/rerelease comes out

+ giantsnys on June 26th, 2008 at 1:50 pm said:

hey i have a question about the update. if you had firmwire 3.90 and didnt have 3.95 then you down load 4.01 well you get the features from 3.95 also or not???

+ Zoonie on June 26th, 2008 at 2:29 pm said:

I heard firmware 5.00 will add a Yahoo xmb icon. Firmware 6.00 will add an Altavista xmb icon and 7.00 a Youtube xmb icon, but then they will remove that in 7.01 when they notice that Youtube functionality is actually non-existent on the PSP.

In 8.00 we might get a “security” update, but that’s not confirmed.

PS. giantsys – Of course.

+ shrimpdude on June 26th, 2008 at 3:04 pm said:

Proof that Sony hates PSP owners.

+ Korlithiel on June 26th, 2008 at 7:18 pm said:

Crumpilstilskin
Yes, and it also works fine on Sony’s Playstation emulator for those with custom firmware. Now those with just a PSP, or at least a regular one are still left in the dark and without one of the most desired titles to be re-released via the Playstation store.

Juben
As a downloadable title it makes no sense to mark it so far above the other titles on the Playstation Store. If they re-released the game on UMD or for the PS3, then I could understand the higher price, otherwise it would basically be them saying to go pirate the game since they weren’t offering it to gamers for a reasonable price.

Finally, and to shrimpdude.

Sony doesn’t hate PSP owners, they love them if they are in Japan. For the rest of us, well, we are here for them to make some extra cash off of. But truthfully, we really are just side markets to them since we are outside of Japan.

+ Juben on June 27th, 2008 at 7:31 am said:

Korlithiel, I do not see the reason to give out the supposed “crown jewel” of jrpgs for cheap. Honestly, I have all of squares games even the bad ones and rad racer and so on. Some I have doubled dip and bought for collector’s reason and if my original ever goes bad I do not have to go on ebay and pay something silly.

Just because it is a download compared to a physical media I do not see the price difference physical media is so cheap. And we can assume that companies see they save some money on shipping and casing so it is in their best interest to charge original price or a little less because the demand for these games are high especially ff7 for the fans out there

+ Korlithiel on June 28th, 2008 at 8:44 pm said:

Juben

And I don’t see why they would price gouge when it would probably break the rest of the Playstation Stores sales.

Given a fair price it would sell well, with little to no cost to SE.

But then again, I guess I’m looking at things based on current value to market and not current value to collectors.

+ bnkamalesh on June 29th, 2008 at 12:46 pm said:

Hey, I would actually like to make a few suggestions, if that counts . I’m a newly registered user here but but I own a PSP since 2 yrs.

My Suggestions are:

1.A facility to password protect the PSP, so that only the owner and whoever he/she wishes can use the PSP, a little privacy you know ?

2.Skype for 1k series.

3.Connect PSP to computer via WiFi,for filesharing as well as Internet.

I hope the developers give it a go for my suggestions, any personal comments on my views, please e-mail it to bnkamalesh@gmail.com

+ FreePlay on July 1st, 2008 at 6:34 am said:

wolverine81 said:

“Playback of video content under Video has been improved for certain file types.

Could you tell us what file types?”

No, because it’s not true. This was a security update. The “improvements” are really just the tightening of security holes. Any hints as to what they did would lead us to exploits.

+ calthadon1 on July 1st, 2008 at 8:44 pm said:

will the psp get trophies i hope so

+ jeffery46 on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:36 pm said:

Eric,

When will we get a decent version of the flash player for the PSP? I keep trying to use it for you tube and it will not work.

+ fredbob3 on July 4th, 2008 at 2:18 pm said:

still no online manual for 4.01. just 4.00.
i`d like to see what vid files were “improved”

+ talkative on July 5th, 2008 at 6:50 am said:

Thanks for the 0.5x – 2.0x video speed “deep-to-chipmunk” enhancement.

I enjoy it. It makes video on the PSP far more useful, especially nailing down a particular bit in a hurry or slowing down a fast scene.

I think you guys are nailing the video thing. Would be nice to see audio enchancements in future (FLAC codec support among them).

Thanks again on what I think is an under-appreciated update (perhaps due to peoples’ expectations of a 4.0 release being higher than reasonable).

Looking forward to more goodness as time goes on. Thanks!

+ GanjaQueen on July 5th, 2008 at 10:12 am said:

Yeah, it’s a pretty good update, Sony. I gotta admit though others may not like it that much I think the Google search is cool. But a couple of improvements that I think would be even better (among adding a playlist a la the PS3 to Music) would be adding a better browser or browser support for the PSP, maybe something like Mozilla or Opera (perhaps?), definitely I’d love to see some sort of addtion of Flash–and this includes the PS3, too–(could you guys & girls work out something w/ Adobe??) that would make it more enjoyable to actually be able to see videos from sites like Cnet, YouTube, etc.

Also, can you all PLEASE do something about that damn RSS Channel?! Frankly, it’s quite a hot mess and really think so much more could be done with–maybe add some sort of RSS reader feature to it that would allow users to be able to view written feeds–I know I would really love that as I don’t have very many video/audio feeds that I actually subscribe to but I got a yacks load of tech, video game, and computer-related feeds that are news based–none of which is actually viewable through the RSS Channel.

Those are some of few things I’d think be some cool improvements in the future. ;)

+ ZiaMan on July 5th, 2008 at 5:01 pm said:

when will be able to watch flash videos, such as youtube, on our web browser??

+ mofokidd1601 on July 5th, 2008 at 6:13 pm said:

You should make a official firmware that has a included online game like HOME for the ps3 or somethin

PAGE 1 2 3 4