PS4 - Destiny

Firmware (v.2.40) Walkthrough Part 1: the XMB

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jun 29, 2008 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone! We know you’re all patiently waiting for the next PS3 firmware update, v2.40, which includes XMB access in-game and Trophy support. The good news is that it’s coming soon, and you can now see how accessing the XMB from in-game will work in this video demo.

Shortly, we’ll be posting another video here on the PlayStation.Blog that shows the Trophy feature in action for the first time. At that time we’ll provide even more details on how firmware v2.40 will enhance your PLAYSTATION 3 experience.

643 Comments

PAGE 1 11 12 13

+ altairsephiroth on July 1st, 2008 at 4:11 pm said:

this update is gonna be great but there are some other things that i think would be kool:
be able to take avatar pic with the ps3 eye toy and be able to play a downloaded game on all your accounts and be able to support vob type files

+ eNaR on July 1st, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

…..clock on screen……

……….what a concept !

+ Mekuro Gear Solid on July 1st, 2008 at 4:43 pm said:

YYYAAAATAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG… i was never on of the hordes of people riding sony non stop for this feature which i probably should have considering how many messages i get n send n the mass of the messages i send especialy sinse im always in one of the perfect grand games… ive seen very few who are commited such as i! lol ive been having a terrible day but this makes up for it ive always wanted the visible clock like psp and in game music sony you are king [DELETED] 250 w/e the crap n that wii which would b sweet if it only had games er more thean 2 worthy games…or features thanks a million sony you always dont me good sinse the days of twisted metal mgs n ff7 MGS4 FOR LIIIFE F WHAT YA HEARD!!

+ dinosauriac on July 1st, 2008 at 6:12 pm said:

I wish I hadn’t rated this post a five now. Oh well.

+ PS3Ownz360 on July 1st, 2008 at 6:43 pm said:

Fantasitc! Eric could you please answer my question. Okay, well could you please add the feature in-game private chate, game invites, and voice messaging? This would Beat any console out there if that were to happen, and most users would like this feature. =)

+ joel on July 1st, 2008 at 7:24 pm said:

@ps3..ownz..other console lol

Sony know we want that feature, they commented on both cross game invites and in game private chat, and that they are working on bringing this features to the IN GAME XMB.

+ Mekuro Gear Solid on July 1st, 2008 at 7:46 pm said:

i would appreciate if at long last if when signed into psn that at the very least it would tell others u r playing a ps1/ps2 format game or a dvd/bd format movie that would be pretty cool if they cant find a way to say the exact title…

+ Kazammm on July 1st, 2008 at 10:02 pm said:

Ahhh! I have 2.40 and I can’t play music even in PixelJunk…

+ PSFaithful on July 1st, 2008 at 10:14 pm said:

Thought I’d give some feedback on an additional feature that I think would be useful. A ‘Last Played’ stat tracker on gamer’s profiles would be useful for managing which of my friends are active online & which ones I can delete to make room for new friends.

+ Mekuro Gear Solid on July 1st, 2008 at 10:26 pm said:

OMG ITS OUT ITS OUT!!!! itsss ouuuuut!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha omg… this is cool… now im just wondering what games do have trophies n whatnot??? just want mgs4 but i duno i wouldnt mind going through uncharted n stuff again i suppose guna need excuses to be takin from mgs4/mgo back to resistance warhawk n cod4 etc

+ darkeldarlord on July 1st, 2008 at 10:41 pm said:

Hey everyone I just Downloaded and installed 2.40………yey is out I dont know how to use the ingame xmb though so if someone gets please let me know how to do it…Peace.

+ darkeldarlord on July 1st, 2008 at 11:17 pm said:

Never mind everyone long day at work did not see the vid at the top of page…Duuuu…Peace

+ LSMJGO on July 1st, 2008 at 11:54 pm said:

HW COME UR PIXEL JUNK MONSTER PLAYS UR MUSIC LOL

+ JohanMelin on July 2nd, 2008 at 3:52 am said:

IMPORTANT!

(Sorry for bad English, but i hope you understand me)

I do a theme to my Playstation 3 system, but now after the 2.40 update the “Trophy icon”, the “Shutdown the system” and the “internet serch” a “?” Icon, same as the “online help”

So, whats the name of this 3 icons?

ex. the user raw look like this:

It’s the “Icon ID” fore those 3 icons i want.

Hope you can help!

+ darkeldarlord on July 2nd, 2008 at 3:58 am said:

JohanMelin this is for you if you are running a custom theme it will not have icons for the new update I have the same problem all the new icons are ?’s give it time.

+ scorpio on July 2nd, 2008 at 6:41 am said:

Great update…going to next video…woohooo

+ TODDEN on July 2nd, 2008 at 9:28 am said:

Be4 I leave this comment just let me say that I had a playstation 1 and 2 and I have a playstation 3 and have been a fan and supporter of playstation.

But before I bought a PS3 I bought a 360.

Some of these new features I have been dying for… in game music, messaging and chat from in game!

…but the trophy system is just a copy of the xbox achievement system. I am glad that You guys are taking customer input and are using it to greatly improve the playstation network, but trophies and profile comparisons is a complete knock off of what microsoft did with the 360.

Peace, Love, and happiness
-Todden

+ TODDEN on July 2nd, 2008 at 9:33 am said:

If you are going to make the xmb accessible from in game, why not make it possible to invite friends from ingame to join your game (or server) like in a first person shooter or something similar.

Also being able to talk through your headset to friends while you both are playing 2 different games would be awesome!!!

Keep up the good work

-Todden

+ Realkenjionigod on July 2nd, 2008 at 11:58 am said:

Where’s my Warhawk trophies?

+ rlander on July 2nd, 2008 at 1:28 pm said:

We need more codecs to read mkv files and older avi files.

+ mlmason75 on July 2nd, 2008 at 2:09 pm said:

I have a file that still can not be read by the PS3!

Vodeo Codec is XviD 1.1.2 Final

Audio Codec is 0×0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3

File Length Correct
DivX Style “packed bitstream” AVI
OpenDML (AVI v2.0)
Interleave: 1 vid frame (42 ms), preload=24
Audio frames: Split across interleaves
Video: 607 MB (86.68%)
Audio: 85.8 MB (12.26%)
AVI Overhead: 7.38 MB (1.06%)

[ISFT] VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
[JUNK] VirtualDubMod build 2540/release
[USER] DivX503b1393p
[USER] XviD0046

Sony why can’t the PS3 read this yet with the latest firmware 2.40???

+ sunstrike on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:21 pm said:

someone could tell something about HOME?

+ TODDEN on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:55 pm said:

So I tried to use the new in-game music feature while I played sudoku and Metal Gear Solid 4 today, but neither game allowed that.

Is this to be expected from most games, because if so, why did you even bother to include the music feature in the update???

+ CBK_CH4RLEZ on July 2nd, 2008 at 6:19 pm said:

to mlmason75…

yo my ps3 can read XviD. its been reading it before 2.36… so i dont know why your ps3 cant read it but mine can.. thought i’d let you know before you think its not out yet.

+ Masterofallz on July 3rd, 2008 at 12:10 am said:

@622
Yeah, but nows not the place to discuss.

+ jackvancouver on July 3rd, 2008 at 1:41 am said:

“HW COME UR PIXEL JUNK MONSTER PLAYS UR MUSIC LOL”

Exactly… I bet 99.998% or 100% of current market PS3 games can’t run this feature.

+ MaternalBloom on July 3rd, 2008 at 1:58 am said:

I just wont the function so that I can go to the XMB in game and send game requests there. also I would like the function to join other peoples game from the XMB in game. Because its so much easier to jump online and join one of your friends games. those features shouldn’t be that hard to implicate. (get on it sony)

+ mlmason75 on July 3rd, 2008 at 5:25 am said:

SONY please add better XVID support to the PS3!!!

Xbox 360 plays alot more Xvid files then the PS3 :(!

+ mlmason75 on July 3rd, 2008 at 5:26 am said:

@ CBK_CH4RLEZ

Trust me there are Xvid files out there that will not play on the PS3!

+ Burekman on July 3rd, 2008 at 10:38 am said:

Hi, hope someone still reads this.

Anyway, I had some time to test firmware 2.40 since it worked fine for me and there are a couple of bugs/reccomendations I would like to point out, which hopefully will get fixed in future updates.

-Now I don’t know how much you can do
about this one, but in-game XMB runs at a
horrible speed in some games like GTA4,
while games like Super Stardust HD are
fine. At least all future games should run
it at a decent speed.
-If I click on my or my friends’ profile
while the avatar picture still isn’t
loaded, I get a FFFFFF error or something.
-There is also an error if I try to access
the PS Store from an account which is
based on a country, where the store isn’t
available yet… it used to be just
a message “store is not available…”.
-The new XMB media player is missing a
pause and fast forward button. Hope they
get added
-It’s really annoying how the controllers
battery status overlays the clock.

That’s it for now, hope it helps. Will be testing the firmware out some more and provide you with feedback if I encounter any more bugs.

+ drumstick93 on July 3rd, 2008 at 1:39 pm said:

ok so why would you want to mess with your bluetooth headset while playing a game can you talk to people while playing a game? that would be sweet!

+ sk8ordie44 on July 4th, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

Nice, they released it some time ago, and people had problems with it so they removed the update and put it to boring 2.36 version. I wished I could have downloaded it before they removed the 2.40 v. update.

+ CatastroPS3 on July 5th, 2008 at 12:12 am said:

this video WAS A LIE

+ Deadly_Mushroom on July 5th, 2008 at 11:21 am said:

Anyone else notice how there is no pause button >_>? I’ve even tried to press pause in that player thing, and still nothing xD

+ BlueMstr on July 5th, 2008 at 10:20 pm said:

hey, all my friends hav this 2.4 update and for some reason i dont have it. it just signs in as 2.36 updated… this sux. i’ve waited so long for this. wats wrong?! will some1 help me!!!

+ BlueMstr on July 5th, 2008 at 10:21 pm said:

and yes i went to system update and there is nothing… how dumb is that?

+ th3mUrd0ck on July 6th, 2008 at 5:37 am said:

GREAT!!!! Can´t wait for this!

+ basketball725 on July 6th, 2008 at 9:30 am said:

I have A question and it might not be about the 2.40 firmware. Am planning on buying a ps3 very soon but I was wondering if there is going to be a newer version and a price drop on the ps3 any time soon?

+ Nerix on July 8th, 2008 at 7:30 am said:

Hmm, what a petty, that all game studios have to implement this “Custom-Ingame-Music” stuff… I really hoped, that you simlpy can enable this for all games via XMB (probabaly the MS Patent for that is the reasen?)

Another point are the ingame inviations. I would love to see this in the next update, but anyhow, keep up good work!

+ NeCrom-X on July 8th, 2008 at 8:34 am said:

Can’t play two games at the same time awwwwww that was the feature I was waiting for hahahaha. Also Monkeyisland if you see this the disc reading issues comes up in high dust environments or if you smoke around the ps3 a lot. I had to open mine and clean it out. I wouldn’t suggest doing that unless you know what you are doing tho. 3 beeps means it thinks the disc was removed while the game was running i think.

+ ckrovax on July 8th, 2008 at 7:31 pm said:

Anyone know why we I can’t use the music off my hdd in pixeljunk monsters like in the video? …and why can’t I play movies on this blog while on my ps3???

+ yoesci on July 8th, 2008 at 7:54 pm said:

thats any one knows what games you can get your trophies i’ll like to know thank you

+ qwertyuiop on July 8th, 2008 at 7:57 pm said:

in game music will not work at all, and i hav the same pixel junk as you

PAGE 1 11 12 13