Far Cry 4

Firmware (v.2.40) Walkthrough Part 1: the XMB

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jun 29, 2008 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone! We know you’re all patiently waiting for the next PS3 firmware update, v2.40, which includes XMB access in-game and Trophy support. The good news is that it’s coming soon, and you can now see how accessing the XMB from in-game will work in this video demo.

Shortly, we’ll be posting another video here on the PlayStation.Blog that shows the Trophy feature in action for the first time. At that time we’ll provide even more details on how firmware v2.40 will enhance your PLAYSTATION 3 experience.

643 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 13

+ NewYork214 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:00 am said:

nice. cant wait. glad in game music is in there. some rumors sayin it wouldnt be.

+ k3coyotes55 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:00 am said:

yaaaay

+ Modus Operandi on June 30th, 2008 at 12:00 am said:

I <3 you Eric & Jeff, and the rest of the PlayStation Network team that are behind the firmware 2.40 update. Thank you so much for the video!

Oh… Do you think there’s a chance for a future firmware update that will allow us to connect multiple PSPs at the same time during remote play? Thanks…

+ Delriach on June 30th, 2008 at 12:00 am said:

I’m quite surprised at how well this is working in the video. The clock is a nice addition and gameswitching itself is too good of an idea.

I’m shocking about soundtracks, can’t say I was expecting that.

gg guys. Now… gimme that update!

+ kentomaiku on June 30th, 2008 at 12:00 am said:

@jeff
any voice chat during gaming via in-game xmb, thanks i know u can send msg and all the other things. but is there? thanks

+ projectx126 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:00 am said:

hellzz yeah!!!!!!!!!!

+ DankandSticky on June 30th, 2008 at 12:00 am said:

Jeff, your the man… thanks bro, i love stuff like this… i am up til 5 am eastern every night gaming my life away.. if you need any help just hit me up man i am all over anything you need… i can tell you’ve got real heart man.. thank you!

Very shorty on the trophies means a few minutes right??

+ LiQuiFiEdArT on June 30th, 2008 at 12:00 am said:

I LOVE ALL YOU PLAYSTATION FANS (CRYS) its been a LONG JOURNEY!!@ (CRYS)

+ system on June 30th, 2008 at 12:01 am said:

That is amazing. I love it.

+ rsx3.2 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:01 am said:

THE CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE CLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ MartiniMan on June 30th, 2008 at 12:01 am said:

uh. in game voice chat? where’s the demo for that?

+ stewey on June 30th, 2008 at 12:01 am said:

Sweet! I can’t wait!

+ Taco_Man on June 30th, 2008 at 12:01 am said:

YESSSSSSSSSS Finally so this means that sometime this week or next week we will be getting 2.4?

+ LiQuiFiEdArT on June 30th, 2008 at 12:01 am said:

2 more Features to really solidify the network:

1) Voice Messages
2) Private 1 on 1 Voice Chat(ingame)

+ DevilHunterDante on June 30th, 2008 at 12:01 am said:

Here comes the complaining…

+ CrazyClown on June 30th, 2008 at 12:01 am said:

QUOTING

gamesblow | June 29th, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Well, that blows goat nips. I guess we can’t switch resolutions in game, which was the only feature I really wanted.

Oh well. Good stuff none the less, just a bit of a let down for me.

===================================
why the **** would u want that lol do it before starting anything

+ EvoAnubis on June 30th, 2008 at 12:01 am said:

YES!!! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes; oh happy day!!! *laughs manically* THIS is everything I wanted! Clock, soundtracks, send/receive messages. I am very happy.

Next up . . . my PSP can play my videos sequentially. When can I expect my PS3 to also be able to do this?

+ Foxx on June 30th, 2008 at 12:01 am said:

Simply fantastic … be interesting to get some of the questions posed by other commenters cleared up but great work! Thanks, can’t wait to hear more about it.

+ SillyHatMafia on June 30th, 2008 at 12:02 am said:

Looks like the In game XMB runs really smooth unlike the 360’s in game dashboard

+ nas2344 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:02 am said:

yup everything is looking great!

+ monkeyisland on June 30th, 2008 at 12:02 am said:

One thing that wasn’t mentioned in the video: Will we be able to access the playstation store while ingame? Say you’re on thursday evening playing a GT5, then you hear that the store has updated..will we able to directly access it and download the new stuff and go back to the game or we’ll have to quit everything?

+ bLaZe412 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:02 am said:

Awesome!
Can’t wait for the Part 2, with the In-Depth of Trophy Support. Thanks a bunch!

+ ShadowBlade on June 30th, 2008 at 12:02 am said:

Really awesome. I really happy that u guys have it coming soon.

+ kill_strike on June 30th, 2008 at 12:02 am said:

OMG!!!!!!! thank you so much this is so awesome

+ Spigget on June 30th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

The gaming world just got rocked hardcore. Enjoy this pre-game cause the real party (when 2.40 comes out) is gunna be nuts.

+ BabeBro on June 30th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

OMG! Thank you guys soooo much! I can’t wait until it’s released!!! Please hurry!

+ Agriel on June 30th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

wow nice, its pretty much everything I wanted it to be. thank you thank you

+ Spaceghost4284 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

WAAAH WAAAH where is the trophy video? WAAAH WAAH. I figured I’d whine for everyone :)

+ RoAcH2285 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

Awesome. Looks like it works very smoothly. That’s a great thing. I guess I’ll watch the video a few more times before I go to bed. :)

+ un-discovered on June 30th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

Thank you sony! w00t! Great video presentation, i have to admit. Also cannot wait for part 2. I am really curious about trophies.

+ SLUG on June 30th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

@monkeyisland #13

Let me tell ya, I’m at the same point you are. My ps3 died today in the middle on the ending cutscene for MGS4, now it won’t read any discs. After going through 4-5 ps2’s due to DRE’s, you could imagine that I’d had just about enough. My 3 month warranty (this was a replacement ps3, the 1st one died too) just expired 5 weeks ago, so I’m expected to pay $150 to fix the $600 machine I camped out for. I emailed Sony to see how valuable my business is to them.

+ Marcoco11 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

games and music wooo

+ plainclothes01 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

Can you use the web-browser in game?

+ HuStLe247 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:04 am said:

I would also like to know the answer to post #38…

+ Patriotsbball5460 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:04 am said:

whens the trophy video coming out, should i go to bed?

+ dean1012 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:04 am said:

I have two questions that I hope Jeff will be nice enough to answer…

1) Will In-Game XMB come up during playback of PS2 games, Blu-Ray discs, and DVDs?

and

2) Will In-Game XMB support voice chatting (not messages) “out of the box”?

I am not one for voice chatting usually but I just started playing Rock Band. It would be a greater experience if we could discuss which song to play next and critique each other during online play. Of course, this can be done with text messages with In-Game XMB but i’d like it to be voice for quicker response.

Thanks for your hard work.

+ PikkonX on June 30th, 2008 at 12:04 am said:

I hope the MGS4 iPod already has built in functionality with the music on the hard drive once this update goes live.

+ Celdurant on June 30th, 2008 at 12:04 am said:

Thank god! I always wondered why there was no clock feature available when you hit the PS button.

The last few nights I’ve been going to bed way later than I intended thanks to getting wrapped up in MGS4 ><

+ Delriach on June 30th, 2008 at 12:04 am said:

I have a technical question about the settings in Firmware 2.4. Since we have in-shirt XMB, can we go to the display settings and change anything there? I like to record footage, but I have to constantly leave the game and then go into composite mode on my HDTV when I am almost always in HDMI. It would be incredibly beneficial if I would be able to just switch display modes so I don’t have to exit. It’s nice for online play so I can record some cool stuff.

Hopefully this doesn’t get lost in the flood of things, but is there any way I can get a confirmation on this?

+ DrPirate on June 30th, 2008 at 12:04 am said:

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SONNNYYY

IT LIVESSSSSSSSSSS

And especially good for Eric Lempel who was burned at the stake for almost 2 years.

You deserve this one dude. You deserve it!

+ dtom2444 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:04 am said:

whoa whoa whoa…
more updates in the next few days?!
so the trophy video won’t be up “shortly” but in the next few days??!!!

+ OneironautZ on June 30th, 2008 at 12:04 am said:

wow. Very nice!

+ Gizem82 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:05 am said:

This is so great. I’ve been waiting for this update! Now I can play C.O.D. 4 to my own soundtrack.

+ DevilHunterDante on June 30th, 2008 at 12:05 am said:

VenomX you lied to me, You promised in-game rick roll

+ SMoKeYRuN on June 30th, 2008 at 12:05 am said:

awesome! cant wait to see the trophies.

any word on cross-game voice chat?

+ un-discovered on June 30th, 2008 at 12:05 am said:

I would also like to find out about monkeyisland’s question : “One thing that wasn’t mentioned in the video: Will we be able to access the playstation store while ingame?” Info about this would be great.

(sorry for the erm… double comment?)

+ CrazyClown on June 30th, 2008 at 12:05 am said:

part 2 anytime soon?

+ k3coyotes55 on June 30th, 2008 at 12:05 am said:

trophys is what i want to see

+ LSMJGO on June 30th, 2008 at 12:05 am said:

THAT WAS ASOME COULDNT HAV BEEN BETTER GO CUSTO SOUNTRACKS =D

+ Synthesize on June 30th, 2008 at 12:05 am said:

Can’t wait for 2.4!!!

Will voice-messaging/private chat be featured in 2.4 as well?

Thank you so much!