PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Firmware (v.2.40) Walkthrough Part 2: Trophies

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jun 30, 2008 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hello again, everyone! Very recently, we demonstrated a major new function enabled in PLAYSTATION 3 firmware v2.40: XMB access in-game. But that’s only part of the story, as the next system software update also introduces the Trophy system to the PS3. This video demonstration shows the system in action.

Super Stardust HD, a PLAYSTATION Network-exclusive released in June 2007, will be the first game to leverage Trophies and will offer a variety of trophies. Trophy support in Super Stardust HD will be available for first-time users who purchase the game soon after firmware v2.40 is released, while those who previously purchased and downloaded the title will be prompted to install a free patch.

PS3 users can expect to see additional games bringing Trophies support to their feature sets through 2008 and beyond, providing even greater opportunity to showcase their accomplishments and compete with friends. The following first-party games are also slated to offer Trophy support:

• BUZZ! Quiz TV
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • MotorStorm Pacific Rift
  • NBA 09 – PS3
  • PAIN
  • PixelJunk Eden
  • Resistance 2
  • SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
  • Warhawk

To further emphasize the community aspects of this system software update, the amount of people you can add to your PSN friends list has been doubled, to 100.

The update also adds a mini-control panel that you can use while playing music and an internet search feature powered by Google that allows you to initiate search directly from the XMB (similar to what we added to the PSP recently). In addition, when you’re using the XMB or accessing the XMB from in-game, the current time and date will be displayed in the upper right hand corner. There are a few more minor enhancements included in this update, once the update is live you’ll be able to read about them here.

Firmware v2.40 will become available for download on July 2nd. We hope you enjoy these much-requested features, and look forward to your feedback.

569 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 12

+ jasonhill on June 30th, 2008 at 7:50 am said:

great work sony but can we have a tone for when a message has been recieved

+ 3rdamention on June 30th, 2008 at 7:52 am said:

Incredible! This is exactly what we have all wanted.

+ meepmoopmeep on June 30th, 2008 at 7:56 am said:

great work everyone over at Sony. you guys have been working hard for us and it’s greatly appreciated. thanks for listening!

+ 16-bit on June 30th, 2008 at 7:57 am said:

Is it Wednesday yet? Woo Hoo?
I hope other third parties release patches for games that are already out.

+ jlch777 on June 30th, 2008 at 7:57 am said:

Incredible work guys!!!!!!!

+ 16-bit on June 30th, 2008 at 7:57 am said:

I meant Woo Hoo! oops!

+ -Jad- on June 30th, 2008 at 7:58 am said:

Excellent July 2nd will be the best day for the PS3. Excellent work Sony ^__^

+ crazy_monkey808 on June 30th, 2008 at 7:59 am said:

Yeah!! This is Great!! So tommorow, ima stay up till midnight to get 2.40!! Thanx sony!! 2.40, Movie service, Home, playstation will rule the other consoles this Year!! Rock On!!!

My PS ID is: Crazy_monkey808
so anyone can add me if they want

+ Riskbreaker23 on June 30th, 2008 at 7:59 am said:

if trophies arent retro-active, they question now is will they let us gain the trophies via second playtroughs.

Ex. I beat uncharted and my skill points and treasuere carried over to my second playthrough.

will i have to complete delete my old just so that I can earn trophies?

+ Bigrhyno on June 30th, 2008 at 8:00 am said:

Woot! Now I can finally have the feeling of false superiority over people I don’t even know. Looking forward to XMB :D.

+ PSFaithful on June 30th, 2008 at 8:02 am said:

THANK YOU SONY!!! Getting both this and in-game XMB in the same update is absolutely AWESOME! Trophies are by far the feature that I was looking forward to the most, and I look forward to going back through some of my old games & cranking up my gamer level!!!

I guess my one question is will cross game voice chat be enabled with this update as well?

+ IceColdKilla44 on June 30th, 2008 at 8:03 am said:

I LOVE PS BLOG. YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST!

seriously, guys listen. Sony has officially put themselves equal (if not better) than xbox live. why? listen.

in-game messaging is here, just like xbox live.

trophies are here, like achievements, but better. achievements give you a certain score; trophies let you level up, which is much more organized.

we now have 100 friend capacity, just like XBL.

in-game custom soundtracks, just like 360!

and finally, the movie service coming out this summer, just like xbl but it will be better because we all know Sony Pictures has some of the best movies in their lineup!

and when Home comes out, no match.

Sony, you’re the best. and to top everything off, can anybody spell the word FREE?

+ IceColdKilla44 on June 30th, 2008 at 8:06 am said:

just one question though:

will the trophies automatically be implemented into games we’ve already beaten?

Example: Resistance Fall of Man and Ratchet and Clank Future TOD have “Skill Points”. will these accomplishments just carry over to become trophies automatically, even if we’ve already beaten the game?

idk, but if i have to Play MGS4 again to get all those trophies that will be pretty hard. i hope the update searches your save files for this informatioin or something

+ whoelse on June 30th, 2008 at 8:07 am said:

Thanks Sony again. You asked us at the end for feedback. One feature that i do miss and would love to see is in-game invites. But i can live without it for now. I cant wait till Wednesday!

+ saunderswan on June 30th, 2008 at 8:07 am said:

about time well done thank you

will this FW be released 2moro as what normaly happens when you tell us about FW’s?

+ smitjd on June 30th, 2008 at 8:08 am said:

SWEET!!!!
This will the best b-day present =D

+ AckeheceKoheo on June 30th, 2008 at 8:11 am said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME WE CAN TURN OFF PROFILE TROPHY SHARING

+ GameFace on June 30th, 2008 at 8:11 am said:

Im lovein it!

+ I_am_rushin on June 30th, 2008 at 8:16 am said:

WOW! Sony and blog posters you continue to amaze me! I can’t even imagine what we will get in 2.50 and 2.60 this year. *head explodes* :D

+ Weirdo93 on June 30th, 2008 at 8:16 am said:

omg noo way!!
can’t wait!! this update comes out on my birthday!! wut an amazing birthday present!

thanks sony!!

+ Sentry on June 30th, 2008 at 8:21 am said:

@ 216

Someone a tad shy much? :P

+ Weirdo93 on June 30th, 2008 at 8:22 am said:

@ 220

LOL

+ Hatchetforce on June 30th, 2008 at 8:23 am said:

Has no one considered allowing us to pay music AND surf the web at the same time? That doesn’t seem to be such an insurmountable obstacle. Also there is the fact I can’t currently listen to a song and while that song is playing navigate around my drives looking for other media.

+ THENKer on June 30th, 2008 at 8:23 am said:

w00t!! I can’t wait till Wednesday. This is a good start to in-Game XMB. I’m sure it will only get better. What ever happen to the in-game video recording? Or was that just another rumor?

I have an X360 too (I just got it Friday). The in-game Dashboard is cool but seems laggy. The XMB didn’t look laggy at all. Super smooth. Kudos!!

+ DarkWolf on June 30th, 2008 at 8:24 am said:

It will probably be up to developers as to how trophies will come through from old save files. Games like GTA where it keeps track of all sorts of statistics already will probably have better odds of having trophies be inherited.

Hopefully, there’s some kind of PSN ID or system ID tagged onto a save game when a new game is created already, and that would solve the problem of cheating with downloaded save games. Otherwise, I’d rather have to go back and play through my games again. Hopefully, I won’t have to start a from-scratch MGS4 game, though… This is great timing, since I’m finishing up act 5 on MGS4 probably today or tomorrow, depending on how much game is left.

+ GAME-HERO on June 30th, 2008 at 8:25 am said:

I was never one of those who cryed about not having XMB.

However from the looks of all the POSITIVE comments here: In-game XMB = Happyness!

AGAIN, THANKS SONY! (I ALWAYS HAVE FAITH IN YOU GUYS) FOR GIVING US THE BEST POSSIBLE GAMING EXPERIENCE THE “GAMING INDUSTRY” HAS TO OFFER!

+ thingg on June 30th, 2008 at 8:27 am said:

Again awesome job guys. Once you guys get back from your well-deserved vacation, my wishlist now includes the following: (in order of what I would like)

1)web browser. (’nuff said)
2)more video codec support (.mov, .flv, etc)
3)additional features accessible in game
4)umm…. I guess that’s it for now….

keep up the great job and do take a break for while if you feel like it…..

+ Gunwing on June 30th, 2008 at 8:29 am said:

WOW! I never thought that 2.40 would hit the PS3 in only 2 days! WOW! Thank you so much for this! IMHO I hope the fallowing games get patched to support these features:

Resistance: Fall of Man
Call Of Duty4: Modern Warfare
Battlefield: Bad Company
GTA5 (That game I could see getting major online/offline play for Trophies IMHO)

Also: @49 I agree we need to be able to link our Trophies to our forums, and PSN so the whole PlayStation community can get in on the action!

+ LSMJGO on June 30th, 2008 at 8:31 am said:

@ 222 U CAN SURF THE WEB AND LISTEN TO MUSIC AT LEAST I CAN

+ seafea on June 30th, 2008 at 8:31 am said:

My apologies if this has been asked already, but will Super Stardust have trophies as soon as 2.40 comes out for those who have purchased it already, or will they be patched in at a later date?

Thanks for the hard work and updates! Looking forward to this!

+ Carl on June 30th, 2008 at 8:34 am said:

@222 you can already listen to music and surf the net, genius

+ rAdIOhEaD73 on June 30th, 2008 at 8:35 am said:

Please SONY and Third Party developers: Make trophies retroactive! I cleared Uncharted on Extreme and unlocked 100% of the game.
I am currently working on MGS4 Big Boss Extreme award, I want all this hard work to be acknowledged!!!

+ superbread1 on June 30th, 2008 at 8:35 am said:

cool keep up the good work sony

+ Aprisaiden_22 on June 30th, 2008 at 8:36 am said:

@seafea — it’ll be patched “within hours” to add trophy support. Also expect PixelJunk Eden(the 2nd PS3 game to support Trophies) to be out within weeks…

Other than those two games who knows when or if old games will be patched and if new games will include Trophy support or not (its up to the developer… )

+ xbandaidx on June 30th, 2008 at 8:36 am said:

I think this is hugely important that Sony implement. Seriously guys make sure you set a rule about no trophies being able to be allowed in online multiplayer games.

If you take a look at a prime example, Orange Box on the 360, playing online in that game there are achievements that you can earn through online and because of that the majority of the online games are nothing but achievement games. These are games where no one is ACTUALLY playing the game but trying to complete some stupid objective set by the developers for points.

This kind of thing is incredibly detrimental to the overall gaming experience. Sure there might be some games where it makes sense to have it online, but make sure it’s kept under control.

I’d also like to ask what others been asking, and that’s if the trophies are retroactive, because as much as I love Uncharted the thought of playing through it on Crushing again is kinda giving me a “blah” feeling. Of course if it isn’t I’ll just stick it out and do it again.

+ system on June 30th, 2008 at 8:38 am said:

What about Killzone 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4? Will those games eventually support trophies? I’d be very disappointing if they don’t. The only games I’m buying for my PS3 are LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2 and MGS4 (which are all PS3 exclusives) so I’m very anxious to find out if they do. A reply from Jeff, maybe? :p

I’ll probably also buy Battlefield: Bad Company but since it’s made by DICE/EA I except nothing. lol

+ MidnightBlues on June 30th, 2008 at 8:39 am said:

WOW!!!!!!!!

AWESOME UPDATE!!

sony really kicks ass I knew they would answer their fan’s desperate calls!!! they finally gave us exactly what we wanted!! and it looks beautiful!!! and only two more days until 2.40?!?!?! I am soooooo happy.

I love you sony you made me very very happy.

Now I just hope MGS 4 and GTA IV implement the tropies soon as those are the only games I currently own!!

good job! I love you Eric….haha

+ Tparsons5150 on June 30th, 2008 at 8:47 am said:

Sweet I love how they’ve done this, Awesome Can’t wait, though my Friends list(lack thereof) looks pretty sad lol

PSN= Tparsons5150

+ GGCAN on June 30th, 2008 at 8:48 am said:

Thanks Sony ! See if you wait a while, your dreams do come true. People want everything yesterday and Sony is doing the best they can. 2008 is turning out to be PS3 s year.

+ GGCAN on June 30th, 2008 at 8:49 am said:

Just a word to everyone…TVersity media server that works with the PS3 has a new update out RC1 today. http://tversity.com/home

+ Flayer on June 30th, 2008 at 8:55 am said:

Holy crap, I’m salivating here! Release it already!

+ bulleteddy on June 30th, 2008 at 8:57 am said:

That is incredible. Please here my request…do NOT retro update too many games so that they are trophy compatible! If you do, you’ll force me to go rebuy games like Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and Ratchet just so I can get the trophies! Or if you do update those titles…lets get the PS3 Greatest Hits line started PLEASE??? My wallet can’t take it!

+ iiprotocolii on June 30th, 2008 at 8:58 am said:

Without a doubt, this is the best news we have received to date. Great job, gentlemen. I only have a couple of questions and/or suggestions and hope that it’s not taken, in the slightest bit, as negative as we are all greatful for your hard work.

1) Will there be a voice-chat messaging system? If not, is Sony planning on releasing anything remotely close to it?

2) Are we able to invite friends from in-game?

3) Will there be a means of multi-voice-conferencing in-game?

On a personal note, I think that the PS3 XMB should, on a later date, integrate somehow the the PSP in order to _merge_ a trophy system from both peripherals into one unified system. i.e. PSN accounts should be usable on both PS3 and PSP so that trophies can be unlocked for games played on both (which will be tied into the PSN accounts).

Might be too much to ask for, but it’s an idea. Thanks a bunch, again, guys for your hard work and dedication. Very much appreciated.

+ bulleteddy on June 30th, 2008 at 8:58 am said:

here = hear…:)

+ xbandaidx on June 30th, 2008 at 8:59 am said:

@242

Why would you sell such amazing games off in the first place, amazing being the ones you listed other than that piece of crap heavenly sword.

+ joel on June 30th, 2008 at 9:01 am said:

Now this is awsome news1!!

+ DTS MAN on June 30th, 2008 at 9:05 am said:

CHECK THIS!!!

Dear DTS MAN,

Your subscription to Xbox Live Monthly Gold Membership will expire on 05 July 2008. To avoid a possible interruption of your subscription service, please renew your subscription by 05 July 2008.

To view or renew your membership:
1. Select your gamer card.
2. Select Account Management.
3. Select Memberships.
4. Select the membership you want to view or renew.
For more info, go to http://www.xbox.com/support or call Xbox Customer Support at 0800 587 1102.

BYE BYE [DELETED] BOX!!

+ SillyHatMafia on June 30th, 2008 at 9:11 am said:

Nic ejob guys!

+ g13nn17 on June 30th, 2008 at 9:11 am said:

AWESOME!!, July 2nd is just 2days away, now it’s going to take forever lol

+ The1stMJC on June 30th, 2008 at 9:13 am said:

So there will never be a patch to retrofit old saved data. And when a trophy patch comes for a game like cod4 and mgs4 i have to replay them? Is it possible to have the game patch read saved data?

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 12