PS4 - Transistor

Want more R2? Grab GamePro

James Stevenson's Avatar + Posted by James Stevenson on Jul 01, 2008 // Community Lead, Insomniac Games

Resistance 2 GP cover

Want to read everything about Resistance 2‘s 300-foot tall, skyscraper-smashing Leviathan? Then you’ll want to pick-up of the August issue of GamePro Magazine! In the 10-page Resistance 2 cover story, you’ll see the first details and images of one of our boss Chimera, which we call the Leviathan. In addition, GamePro got the chance to play through a lengthy segment of our Chicago single-player level, and checked out our 8-player online co-op and competitive multiplayer. The issue is hitting subscribers now and goes on newsstands early next week, but if you really can’t wait, here’s a sneak peak at a couple of the new screenshots below.

R2 LEVIATHAN R2 CHICAGO THEATRE

Obviously, you’ll have to go buy the magazine to see more of Resistance 2, which also features an exclusive three-page fold-out cover showing some art our team created of Nathan Hale in Chicago and a few other surprises. Check out a preview here

If you are a Resistance fan, this issue is a must-have.

Next up for us is E3. We’re working hard to prepare for the big show. Stay tuned for lots of new info from us soon.

As always, Bryan Intihar and I will be around answering your questions in the comments section.

+ gamesblow on July 1st, 2008 at 7:09 pm said:

I bet resistance 2 will look better than Vaporzone 2, wait and see. The biggest kick in the sacks for Guerilla Games is they’ve had what 4 years to work on Killzone 2, Insomniac has put out 3 incredible games since the inception of Killzone 2 and will probably even put out the R&C add on before it gets here too, so that’d make 4 games basically.

Sony needs to know what side their bread is buttered on and it isn’t the plain side –

+ optimusprime76 on July 1st, 2008 at 7:10 pm said:

Hi Brian

Will R2 have a cover system, similar to Gears of War and Uncharted. I remember before in one of the early pictures that the protagonist was taking cover while a horde of Chimera where looking for him somewhere in the Chicago level.

+ Sentry on July 1st, 2008 at 7:13 pm said:

@ CaptionLoken (148)

Heellloooo!

@ 152

No, it won’t feature a cover system. The character you saw there, was one of Hales allies, a member of a group called the sentinels. So you won’t be able to take cover, though.

+ DevilHunterDante on July 1st, 2008 at 7:16 pm said:

“We appreciate the feedback, but trust us, wait till E3. We think you’ll be impressed.”
Hopefully you will impress me, loved the first one cant wait for 2.

+ enewtabie on July 1st, 2008 at 7:17 pm said:

Hi James
Thanks for opening up a new studio nearby.I’m about 20mins up the road.I’ve been catching up on the Full Moon podcasts and was interested in the 60man rocket test.Could you actually setup a custom match 60 player rocket only?

I think the melee in Resistance is one of the best feeling in a game I’ve played.Is it back in similar fashion or has any animation changed in regards to it?

Will Resistance have any photo mode,video or any community features besides http://www.myresistance.net?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 2nd, 2008 at 9:37 am said:

You should have all of the custom game options from R1 and more. Now, keep in mind, some things will change as we\’re still building all of the lobby and option settings in though! :-)

No major changes to melee, though the button may not be the same (course, you can remap it!)

We aren\’t talking about the community features just yet, but trust me in that MyRes has a lot of updates planned for it, stay tuned.

+ Sentry on July 1st, 2008 at 7:25 pm said:

@ 155

From the interviews and videos I have watched on R2, he has said before that if you just want to go mess around and have a 60 player deathmatch, for example, you can. So yeah you will be able to make custom 60p games.

+ BlackShadows14 on July 1st, 2008 at 7:30 pm said:

That monster is freakishly huge…I can’t wait to see this game at E3!!!

+ enewtabie on July 1st, 2008 at 7:30 pm said:

Thanks Sentry
I’ve never really been into custom games.I usually just play ranked setups,but I would like to try a 60man weapon specific match.Sounds fun.

+ Violater on July 1st, 2008 at 7:54 pm said:

Why do the chimera always look shiny like they have been smeared with vaseline?

+ H3AVY F1R3 on July 1st, 2008 at 7:58 pm said:

Is that trailer that is floating around the new R2 trailer or just an old one? and is R2 going to support split screen online for sixty player battles, sort of like Warhawk??????????????????

+ brandonklex on July 1st, 2008 at 7:58 pm said:

i have finished this game 6 times already.in single player mode.does this make me fan of Resistance?though i have played multiplayer only for 30 minutes or something…i found the maps small, no hiding places(i like camping), too much chaos…still first day buy for me for single player mode…great work!!!

+ Sentry on July 1st, 2008 at 8:11 pm said:

@ 159

Because they just came out of their mothers womb(?) Seriously though, the Grims are like chimera that are not fully developed, and they are most likely slimy and whatnot since they were just recently transformed, or born, so to speak. Maybe that’s why, who knows. :P

@ 158

No problem bro. :)

+ Sentry on July 1st, 2008 at 8:15 pm said:

@ 161

I only finished it 3 times. :(

But I finished R&C UYA more then 60 times! (R64), with all trophies, skill points, weapons, gold bolts, etc. :D And R&C ToD more then 10 times now, with all skill points, gold bolts, weapons etc. :P

But I am willing to do it all over again for trophies!! XD

+ mendezgato on July 1st, 2008 at 8:43 pm said:

jkust to let everybody know the update is up

+ SDkngsht on July 1st, 2008 at 8:53 pm said:

“better than halo. bigger than call of duty.”

nuff said. 2008 is officially the year of the ps3.

+ Ghostm on July 1st, 2008 at 8:54 pm said:

Updating the firmware as we speak.

THANKS SONY!!!

+ Dtaylor_93 on July 1st, 2008 at 8:59 pm said:

2.40 SYSTEM UPDATE IS UP

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY HAPPY :)

+ EyeHaveYou on July 1st, 2008 at 9:08 pm said:

Since you guys won’t be implementing trophies until R2 is done, can we expect Resistance: Fall of Man, and Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction trophies in the future?

One more thing… Can we see another music video from you guys at E3?

+ shoeonmyfoot on July 1st, 2008 at 9:10 pm said:

2.4 i live woot!

+ Sentry on July 1st, 2008 at 9:10 pm said:

@ 168

Bryan has already answered that question… twice.

+ Kenshin001 on July 1st, 2008 at 9:25 pm said:

I’m hoping you can fly the jet in R2. Dunno, It seems to feature pretty prominently in promotional pictures. I can imagine the Leviathan being like King Kong and you have to take it out with the jet. Anyways, that leaked trailer really hyped me for this game.

+ Blackmoses11 on July 1st, 2008 at 9:31 pm said:

OMG FW2.40 is Out!!!!!!!!!

runs from room screaming like a little girl….

-Black-

+ pshelper on July 1st, 2008 at 10:28 pm said:

OMG i cant wait for R2, im more excited about this game than killzone 2. Insomniac is the greatest developer ever. yall never stop making great quality games. with R1, R&C, and now are R2, thank you so much for those killer games and being so good to us PS3 owners. Insomniac never lets us down!

+ Retrogameplayer on July 1st, 2008 at 10:43 pm said:

Awesome. I’m picking this issue up tomorrow.

+ rsx3.2 on July 1st, 2008 at 11:34 pm said:

Are there any plans to make R2 or future games at 60fps?

+ SickNick85 on July 1st, 2008 at 11:36 pm said:

There isn’t gamepro in my country and no qore in my PSN…

+ Rlan on July 1st, 2008 at 11:37 pm said:

Hey Brian!

Care to comment? ;)

I want to quest for booty!

+ Khaqan on July 2nd, 2008 at 12:02 am said:

@176

That sucks buddy.

I hope IG puts one dev. on Resistance + Ratchet and Clank and make trophies for them.

+ Khaqan on July 2nd, 2008 at 12:02 am said:

By the way Resistance’s online is better than any online on any PS3 game.

+ Tyrade on July 2nd, 2008 at 12:54 am said:

wow now that we have in-game xmb and trophies..we really have nothing to complain about…..i feel so..useless

+ tsukasa1288 on July 2nd, 2008 at 2:29 am said:

wait, this issue isn’t out yet? i got mine in the mail a few days ago.

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 2nd, 2008 at 9:35 am said:

Not on newsstands yet, will be next week!

+ Cartman86 on July 2nd, 2008 at 2:45 am said:

Why is Bryan so damn awesome??? R2 instant 10 if the big monster is replaced by him. Do it!!!

+ Execta on July 2nd, 2008 at 3:07 am said:

Hi,

Bryan, could you tell me how improved the physics engine will be in Resistance 2? I could see in one of those GameTrailers.com’s videos that the enemies fell down like a statues or something. By enemies, I mean those scary creatures those run together in a huge hordes.

I really hope you could improve your physics, or even only the physics of the enemies. It is a real dissapointment if the physics work so badly. Please, fix it.

Could you reply to this? Thanks.

+ Sentry on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:43 am said:

@ 177

I hope so too, I mean all they really got to do is evaluate the value of each trophy (skill point) and add a graphic to each trophy, shouldn’t take up more then several days right?

I mean, I beat Resistance 3 times, and R&C more then 10 times, both with all skill points, I am willing to do that ALL over again for trophies. That is how much I love games from Insomniac, and that is how much I am dedicated to trophies… or becoming a trophy whore, whatever. :P

+ moog on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:44 am said:

I’m buying this game, even if it belly-flops like Haze. There’s no way I could pass up fighting that 300′ thing! Hopefully there is a bigger variety of creatures in R2 too.

+ moog on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:49 am said:

*groan* still can’t edit comments here…

So was this monster influenced by Cloverfield?

James Stevenson's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on July 2nd, 2008 at 9:34 am said:

Nope! He was under construction well before we ever even saw Cloverfield or knew what exactly the Cloverfield monster was!

+ C-h-a-o-s on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:01 am said:

As bummed as I am about R1 not getting trophies I am glad to know R2 is the main focus. Any word on a possible collectors / special edition of R2?

+ Lovingit07 on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:27 am said:

:O:O:O:O:O what is that WII FIT BOARD BARELY LEGAL THING?? anyone have a link to an article i want to know lol.

R2 looks AMAZING cant wait to play 60player online :D

+ ISEMAN on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:31 am said:

The pictures look hot, the details on that Chicago theater are amazing. Not to mention that 300 foot tall Chimeran looks like a challenge to say the least. Keep up the great work, I can’t wait to get this game.

+ Rlan on July 2nd, 2008 at 6:25 am said:

Hey there Brian!

I’m the kind of guy who likes to quest for booty, all the time! Would you happen to know when I’ll be able to continue?

;)

+ maluraq on July 2nd, 2008 at 6:33 am said:

All of you people worried about the visuals need to play Ratchet And Clank Future, then you’ll be believers in what these guys can do.

+ filthyvillain on July 2nd, 2008 at 6:59 am said:

Resistance 2 is probably my most anticipated title for the end of this year. Will Sony advertise the game well enough for it to gain the notoriety it will undoubtedly deserve? I know I am definitely hoping for midnight launches and limited/collector’s editions of the game:)

+ HaVoK_08 on July 2nd, 2008 at 8:25 am said:

R2 will be EPIC!! i am sooo proud to be a PS3 owner..this year has been and will continue to be a great one!

+ rAdIOhEaD73 on July 2nd, 2008 at 8:38 am said:

Hey Fragile Eagle! I hope to see you often here on the psblog, also an interview with you on the 1upyours podcast is way overdue! I hope you guys can work something out for E3.

+ LiQuiFiEdArT on July 2nd, 2008 at 9:25 am said:

Hi Brian,

Can you please add trophy support for Ratchet and Clank: Future??

~Thank you

+ Dew87 on July 2nd, 2008 at 9:43 am said:

Holy damn! That thing is HUUUUUGGEE!! I’m getting goosebumps just looking at the art! Gears of Whaaaaa? R2 is making it look like Queers of War. Hehe.. Really can’t wait to see the Leviathan in action. You rock Insomniac!

+ 40cal on July 2nd, 2008 at 10:38 am said:

Ok, so I downloaded the full size screen shots, slapped them on a Memory Stick and pulled them up on the XBR5 using the PS3. Zoom in zoom out these shots look awesome. Both levels that I have seen so far (the Red Woods and Chicago) look amazing. What other locations do you have this epic war taking place?

+ 40cal on July 2nd, 2008 at 10:46 am said:

@ James.

Whats the deal with getawarjob.com?

+ Kiddy kid on July 2nd, 2008 at 11:00 am said:

Hey Brian what about custom soundtracks? Can Ratchet and Resistance be patched for CS?

+ Kiddy kid on July 2nd, 2008 at 11:03 am said:

I saw you said no trophy support for either of those two games. Perhaps after Resistance 2 was released would R&C at least be looked at again for possible support? (Safe to assume R1 is done)