Uncharted 4

Firmware v2.40 status

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Jul 02, 2008 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

As has been reported on many gaming blogs and websites, we have temporarily taken Firmware v2.40 offline. We’ve received a limited number of calls from consumers experiencing an issue with installing the system software update on their PS3. While our consumer services department has seen a low volume of calls on this topic, we are committed to providing the PS3 community with XMB access features delivered in the v2.40 update. We are working diligently to isolate the problem for those few consumers and to identify a solution before we put the firmware back up.

We’ll provide further information as necessary here on the Blog.

2,453 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2 3 4 50

+ T41NT on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:47 pm said:

My PSN : T41NT
add me anyone that wishes to

+ TonyNibbles on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:47 pm said:

As normal, the negative stuff is shouted a lot louder by the minority that the positive stuff.

Installed on my launch day PS3 and loving FW 2.40, thanks guys.

I hope those few people out there with problems are fixed soon (though I hear that formatting the HDD via PC or replacing it with a fresh one will solve most cases).

+ SabbathRider on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:48 pm said:

To all of those complaining about not getting the update ‘when you got home’. Would you rather they had left it up and you had your PS3 broken when you tried to download it? I know they should have had it tested properly and all of this fixed before they released it but they are trying to do their best to help us now and all we can do just now is to hope they get the patch out for you unlucky folks asasp.

+ dlbbRogueTrader on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:48 pm said:

We’ve received a limited number of calls from consumers experiencing an issue…

…While our consumer services department has seen a low volume of calls on this topic

Get your hand off it, this is a huge problem affecting PS3 users right around the world. I live in Australia and my PS3 has [DELETED] itself.

+ womfalcs3 on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:49 pm said:

Working flawlessly here. Love the update.

+ SolidSnake500 on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:49 pm said:

Don’t worry about it; stuff happens.

I’m sure you guys are working to fix the problem.

Thank you for the update.

+ Xanog on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:50 pm said:

Well, I waited 1 year and six months, I’m sure I can wait a little while longer if it solves potential problems.

+ Full-Recovery on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:52 pm said:

Launch 60gb, 2.4 installed and running at 100%

Sony, thank you for stepping up to the plate and taking down the firmware just to be safe.

+ Stoffinator on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

I’ve had no problems with it so far. *knock on wood

+ MeltTech on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

Hey Patrick, good job posting an update. We honest fans and PS3 users really do appreciate being kept in the loop. Like if PSN goes down on a weekend of a big new release or something and the system just gets slammed. Shoot us a blog asap, so this PS360 guys and gals don’t slam the forums with hate threads.

IMHO, I think people make the mistake of getting a freeze then reaching for the power switch, instead of holding the power button until they power down. I’ve had several freezes with my launch 60gig, and this always remedies the errors. The only time I use the power switch is for extended vacations or business trips when I’m away for a few days.

+ Chaos_Bladez on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

Mine also works fine. I love it! :D

+ Trustter on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:54 pm said:

@18

Because he was busy fixing it for us. :)

+ ticman on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:54 pm said:

It works Flawless for me.

+ johnamanel on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:55 pm said:

One question:
I have 2.4, no problems. It was told that we could change the sound output right? well, when I go to Sound Settings it asks me to quit the game…… So, can we or can we not?
Thanks for 2.4, really.

+ XcoM on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:56 pm said:

I updated earlier today and apart from a few hiccups everything has been fine.

In-game XMB, trophies etc. are incredibly slow but I’m sure that’ll be ironed out in future updates.
2.40 does seem a little rushed, and I don’t blame you. You guys we’re under some serious pressure.

+ TheGuardian1973 on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:56 pm said:

I THANKFULLY HAD NO PROBLEMS!!! :D

+ TheOriginalGoatseGuy on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:57 pm said:

There is no bricking problem with 2.4, only a few minor issues to be addressed with 2.41.

This is nothing more than the usual teenage Xbox owners who sit around all day creating new accounts on the Playstation forums making up bogus stories as usual. It goes on 24/7/365. Pathetic.

If Sony would implement the linking of PSN names and forum IDs this type of BS would come to an end as 360 could no longer pretend to be PS3 owners.

Fantastic update Sony, sorry you are having to deal with a bunch of miserable and bitter fans of a different console.

+ dakotapie on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

i didnt get the new update, i would like to know why and get is asap.

this name is the same as my ps acount name

+ tretle on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

From what it sounds like its not a problem with 2.40. Sony’s site was hacked today from what I read. Its possible that someone was messing around with their servers.

If someone was downloading the update and a few packets were lost in the transfer due to the hack then of course you would have a problem when that person tries to install it.
It would not install correctly and give people the impression that is the firmware is at fault when really its a server issue.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a corporate attack. Its not unheard of for companies to hire crackers to steal secrets from competitors or in this case try and lower peoples opinions of the competing company.

This has Microsoft written all over it, maybe they were pissed off at the trophy implementation….. Of course this is just theory and speculation but not as insane as some of you might think.

+ Keysersoze10033 on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

I love how fast you guys took charge and tried to find a solution. I downloaded the update last night and everything is fine with my 60GB.

+ PirateThom on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

Can we have some patches to actually get some trophies while you’re sorting that out?

+ sarge mat on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

Lucky it didn’t brick my PS3, bad luck to anyone who does have problems and I hope you all get sorted.

Looks like the Intern is doing the testing now as well as the PSN updates. lol

+ Raziel Dune on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:58 pm said:

thankfully i had no problems what so ever. its not even slow. but thankfully you guys want to see what the problem is with others before causing more problems. its fun to watch gamers Explode when something bad happens.

+ P_tear_griffin on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:59 pm said:

I have a Q about the trophies (my upgrade went successfully) will they transfer over when I change my HDD?

For those that encountered issues, I hope things get fixed soon.

For those waiting. Be patient!

+ Flame_Tongue on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:59 pm said:

I heard a rumor that full PS2 game compatability would be coming out in an eventual firmware update. Is this true?

+ justaccording on July 2nd, 2008 at 4:59 pm said:

Was able to download it last night and I haven’t experienced any issues

+ gamesblow on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:00 pm said:

Jeff, I know I’m an idiot on the blog sometimes but I hope everything gets ironed out for you all and the consumers affected by this because, lets face it, if only some of us our enjoying 2.40 something is missing.

As I said, I haven’t had any problems past a tad of laggy icons and xmb navigation while in warhawk.

Trust me, if I had a problem I’d be th 1st one on here to talk about it “ha”

Hopefully Eric and the rest of the team are wrapping their heads around this as best they can.

+ nmc75 on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:00 pm said:

Thanks for the update on the update. :) I hope you guys are able to figure what went wrong and how to fix it for those who’s been having issues. I myself haven’t had any issues with my launch day 60gb.

+ gardea on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:00 pm said:

Mine installed properly.

Good to hear you guys are actually working to fix the update for those people who had problems installing it.

+ elesede on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:01 pm said:

I’m not able to play Metal Gear Online anymore with firmware 2.40. It just freezes when it starts and if I try to quit the game or turn the PS3 off it crashes. Man I can’t wait till you guys fix the issue, I luv MGSO…….

+ tretle on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:01 pm said:

Of course that should not be an issue if they have there networking set up properly and the servers for firmware updates are kept in a completely different and closed off network to the website…. I sure hope it is. :D

+ spidey2400 on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:02 pm said:

Installed mine last night on my 80 GB and no problems at all

+ Cornel on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:02 pm said:

Hmh… running my 40 gig ps3 with 2.40 just fine here.

+ PirateThom on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:02 pm said:

I bet Sony are glad they didn’t launch this at E3. It would have been bad publicity, this gives them time to sort it out and have a running version for then.

+ gamesblow on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:03 pm said:

@75

hhahhaha, in all of this you have the nerve to ask for ps2 games on the psn store? We can’t even get ps1 games in the store.

You should be ashamed of yourself!

+ Ghostm on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:04 pm said:

60GB PS3
No problems here at all. It’s working beautifully! I do have a question though.

Can you guys please make custom in-game music mandatory like in-game XMB is?

+ SillyHatMafia on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:04 pm said:

2,4 works in general for most people, but some of you guys have to realize that ANY firmware update for PSP, PS3 or even 360 updates can ruin systems. No matter what a company does. Clearly Sony did well on it overall cause alot of people have no issues. The reason they are doing this is because this is a HUGE update, a huge update, which has some issues for some people, so it makes news in gaming media.

+ Kenjisan on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:04 pm said:

Installed and absolutely no problems for me.I was surprised to see how good the XMB works in-game. Too bad that trophies aren’t supported by a lot of games yet.

It’s really unfortunate that the party was somewhat ruined by this problem. If Sony is investigating and has decided to pull the firmware down it means the problem is real at least for a few people and it is the only right decision to avoid a significant widespread of the issue, but at the same time I’m pretty sure that there are many sad people on the Internet who are trying to catch the ball and make this issue seem larger than it is. It’s pretty easy to generate FUD writing on a message board things like “OMG this new firmware which was supposed to greatly enhance the Ps3 experience, has killed my console!!” while the truth could be that many of these people don’t even have a PS3.

I hope Sony fixes this within the week.

+ BLUEKNIFE on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:05 pm said:

Sony….people claims, the fans forgive.
Go sony….fix the problem, we understand.

+ ArCaNgEL on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:05 pm said:

I downloaded the update at midnight and everything is working perfectly.

Guys relax they will fix the problem so you can enjoy this great update.

+ EyeHaveYou on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:05 pm said:

One problem. AFTER I installed firmware 2.4. I tried downloading songs, and GameTrailers videos earlier and it prompted me an error. Will you guys fix this?

+ Squall on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:06 pm said:

I got the firmware downloaded and installed. However, I cannot access the XMB while playing MGS4 or MGO. I haven’t tried any other games yet.

+ Krispow on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:07 pm said:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
ATTN: Patrick Seybold / Eric Lempel
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

RE: GAME DATA UTILITY

Hi Folks,

First off, many thanks for the continued firmware updates and information you provide for us here on the PlayStation.Blog — please know it’s very much appreciated! (Thankfully, I didn’t have any issues installing v2,40 on my 60GB…)

If you have a spare moment, I was hoping you could address one specific aspect of XMB functionality — the “Game Date Utility” found under the “Games” section. I have tried to inquire about this “utility” for many months, but have been unable to obtain any response(s). Hopefully I’ll have a bit more luck this time around…

The “Game Data Utility” has much potential, but it is essentially useless in its current form. While this utility provides us with a listing of games for which Add-On data exists (via downloads), it is impossible to examine the folder contents to see which Add-Ons we have obtained. Currently, the only option we are given is the ability to see how much hard drive space an Add-On folder is using.

For example, my “Game Date Utility” shows that I have a FOLKLORE folder. But I have no way of listing — or otherwise finding out — what specific Add-On Data exists within this folder. Do I have the Holiday Add-On? Which individual mission Add-On Packs/Bundles do I have… or still need to purchase?

Further, there is currently no easy methid of deleting individual Add-Ons from these folders. For example, if I wanted to remove an unwanted RIDGE RACER 7 Decal, I would have to first delete my entire RIDGE RACER 7 “Game Data Utility” folder — and then re-download all the other Add-Ons I wanted to keep. Very confusing, and time-consuming, to say the least.

Nor is there any way of listing, examining or deleting Add-On Data via other sections of the current XMB / PS3 firmware. As I’m sure most gamers are aware, a certain other competing console has had these functions integrated into their firmware since day one… back in 2002 when their first console iteration was released.

Since the v2.40 system update was specifically addressing XMB functionality, I was hoping that the “Game Data Utility” would finally have its functions expanded upon accordingly… but alas that was not to be.

In this regard, I would like to once again request that the deficiencies with the “Game Data Utility” be addressed… or to kindly provide us with an alternative method of listing, examing and deleting such downloaded Add-On game data.

Once again, many thanks in advance for your consideration of this upgrade.

Best regards to all,
Jeff Krispow

+ liguorien on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:07 pm said:

I seem to have some problem with my media server since the update…It was working fine until I install 2.40.

+ KazeEternal on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:07 pm said:

You know I wonder if this has to do with the issues with some users having to do a Database Rebuild for the hard drive or Custom themes causing a conflict…. I mean there are 2 problems I know of. The XMB hangs on start, or the game goes black on startup.

Anyway I hope this problem gets fixed, sucks being one of hte few with a working 2.4 unit and only a handful of my friends are using it too. Especially with trophies out lol STARDUST HD FTW!!!

+ fperez on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:09 pm said:

In my opinion, this is really an absurd… How can sony deliver a new firmware update that makes the PS3 faulty?? Why they don´t test it hardly and hardly before releasing? I have a PS3, i used to have a PS2 and a PS1, so, I consider myself a loyal consumer to Sony, but to be honest I´m getting really pissed off about those mistakes…

Thankfully my PS3 is working fine after the update, but I would be REALLY angry if it stopped working after it.
The PS3 had to have some software on it that in the case of a faulty firmware update, it could return to the previous firmware version, then those kind of problems would be left behind…

+ EnigmaNemesis on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:10 pm said:

Updated to 2.40 around 11AM EST.

No issues here.

+ chickennrice16 on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:10 pm said:

why isnt there universal music!!!

thats all i ask

+ Neil on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:13 pm said:

Sorry to hear about those with issues. I know how it feels when your console is sick as I’m also a 360 owner :(

+ nmc75 on July 2nd, 2008 at 5:14 pm said:

Considering the need for Sony to look at the existing 2.40 problems… it surprises me that people are here asking for even more features for future firmware. Priorities, people.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 50