PS4 - Destiny

PS3 System Software Update (v2.41)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jul 07, 2008 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi, everyone. As many of you know, we released PS3 firmware update v2.40 last week, but had to take it offline temporarily because, for a limited number of users, the XMB wouldn’t display after the update was installed. We’ve been able to fix the problem, and I’m happy to report that firmware update v2.41 will be released shortly.

We want to extend our apologies to the PlayStation community for any inconvenience. Now we’ll be looking forward to seeing everyone online and racking up those trophies!

1,364 Comments   2 Replies

PAGE 1 2 3 4 28

+ Seraphim on July 8th, 2008 at 12:18 am said:

Racking up what trophies exactly? Already got all but 2 for SSHD…

When can we expect more support for trophies? Like Uncharted or any of the few other games going that are already out that will patch it. And I’m assuming from August out all new releases will have trophy support but can you confirm or comment on that? Or when we should expect to see all [new] games see trophies… thanks

+ eggowong on July 8th, 2008 at 12:20 am said:

Updated! Though I never had any issues with 2.40.

Hopefully the patch for SSHD becomes available again soon…

+ bizzyb0t on July 8th, 2008 at 12:20 am said:

Speaking of trophies…

Is anyone else irritated with Infinity Ward for not patching in Rumble suport, and now they’re not going to be patching in Trophies into CoD4?

+ Dorian_D on July 8th, 2008 at 12:20 am said:

Cool stuff! I see that the in game xmb seems a little faster during game play. Thank sony!

+ PirateThom on July 8th, 2008 at 12:21 am said:

@The Mosh, again

There’s also some more planned downtime on PSN tomorrow, so I’m guessing this will additionally assist with the online.

+ Stoffinator on July 8th, 2008 at 12:21 am said:

I also notice the audio for the chats is down. My headset (USB) now doesn’t work in games and sometimes have to reboot my PS3 to get it to work in the chat rooms. This was never a problem before 2.40.

+ hijaker77 on July 8th, 2008 at 12:22 am said:

@53

All I need to hear from Sony is mandatory, PLEASE SONY MAKE CUSTOM MUSIC AND TROPHIES MANDATORY FROM HERE ON IN.
Lol, sorry if I’m annoying you but I personally want this.

+ Onna76_NL on July 8th, 2008 at 12:24 am said:

WOW that’s fast!! Funny thing is, at first I logged in to check on messages and had no update yet (CET), took breakfast, took a shower, turned the PS3 back on… ey update?! :-D I’m downloading it now, the 2.40 worked really well for me, so I have no doubt about it 2.41 will turn out just as well. I hope for all the people who had problems, it will be solved now with this update.

My compliments you’ve handled this so quickly. Friends of mine thought it would take a while and I already said: “mark my words, before you know it, the update is pops up as a complete surprise”. ;-) Typical Sony :-D

PSN: Onna76_NL

+ Derrek77 on July 8th, 2008 at 12:25 am said:

Why cant I get trophies in Super Star Dust HD still?

When will the 4.00 patch be released for it? I was under the impression that it would be released with 2.41?

+ bizzyb0t on July 8th, 2008 at 12:26 am said:

@57

YES! I want Trophies and Custom Music to just be the standard! Hell, I used to listen to my own CD’s for the PS2 by swapping the disk. I’m sure playing some MP3′s already on the hard drive would be something simple. Even if it meant that I’d manually have to turn down the game’s music via it’s settings and be able to access my songs with the in-game XMB. Remember, for the PS2 you had to swap disks!

+ bLaZe412 on July 8th, 2008 at 12:26 am said:

I hope the patch for SSHD comes out soon…

+ supersnake on July 8th, 2008 at 12:27 am said:

@ 50

No sir. I never did that, so did my 2 brothers, my cousin and my uncle. The disc-reading issue just appears out of a sudden, after 8-14 months of use. It can of course occur earlier, jsut like it can occur later. But what’s certain is that sony has to either dump BLURAY, or do something with their BLU-RAY player because that bluray player is the cause of 80% of PS3 units failing.

+ s0nlxaftrsh0ck on July 8th, 2008 at 12:27 am said:

Jawesome. Thank you sony for taking the time to fix this. Really appreciate it. I too was one of the few who snagged it and it didn’t have any problems. Zank ya muchly though ::high fives::

+ Engine on July 8th, 2008 at 12:27 am said:

What’s up with changing the icon for the platinum trophy? Seems kind of odd to change it so quickly

+ utaibimt on July 8th, 2008 at 12:28 am said:

___________
_________________
Seriously, are there any games that support trophies other than Super Stardust HD.

YOU MADE ME LAUGH.

+ Crimson_Ryan on July 8th, 2008 at 12:29 am said:

Great news. Now we may finally be able to start seeing games patched.

+ TypeF on July 8th, 2008 at 12:29 am said:

i have 2.4….is it safe to go 2.41? and is there anything new in it?

+ bizzyb0t on July 8th, 2008 at 12:30 am said:

@ 62

Sorry to hear your Blu-ray has failed :(

I’m hoping mine doesn’t fail.

I’m pretty sure that Sony isn’t going to drop Blu-ray. That format is their baby. However, hopefully they’ve changed the manufacturing process recently to fix that problem. I’ve got a very new PS3 and I’ve got my fingers crossed.

+ APaz on July 8th, 2008 at 12:30 am said:

My 2.40 works perfectly… I’m scared to install 2.41. =/

+ les15snc on July 8th, 2008 at 12:30 am said:

i know have 2.41 works perfectly psn store loads pictures fast now

+ thor on July 8th, 2008 at 12:30 am said:

supersnake if you’re really having problems, that’s very unusual, and it’s probably something that you’ve all done (inadvertently or not) that’s caused the problem. Have you asked in the forums about what might be the exact cause? Because the liklihood of that happening to lots of people you know is very, very small indeed.

+ Ghostm on July 8th, 2008 at 12:31 am said:

Thanks for the quick update.
Does anybody knows if the Super Star Dust HD trophy is back up? I bought this game specifically for that.

One more thing. Sony, please make It mandatory for all developers to add custom in-game music and trophy support on future software. Not to mention patching an old title with some trophy support could increase software sales. I for one would surely buy some older titles if they get a trophy patch. Exam…Rachet&Clank

+ Onna76_NL on July 8th, 2008 at 12:31 am said:

@ Seraphim | July 8th, 2008 at 12:18 am

Racking up what trophies exactly? Already got all but 2 for SSHD…

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Go to your map “Game”, in there you’ll find a map called “Trophy Collection”. Click on here and you’ll find games which are supporting trophies. SSHD should be in here, click on it and you’ll get a whole list of trophies to obtain.

Uncharted is one of the games which will patched for sure with trophies. Also Pain, Warhawk and Burnout Paradise for instance, will receive patches. Pixeljunk Monsters “might” be patched somewhere in 2008. Games like Ratchet & Clank, Civilization, won’t have patches with trophies.

Resistance 2, Pixeljunk Eden, Motorstorm 2, SOCOM, Little Big Planet are games which will launch with trophies.

+ bunnyhero on July 8th, 2008 at 12:31 am said:

woohoo can’t wait! thanks.

+ gaston on July 8th, 2008 at 12:31 am said:

Can anyone confirm, I think 2.41 is live…I’m downloading it right now. I’m just surprised that no other news source (engadget/gizmodo/kotaku) has it up.

+ nvmisfit on July 8th, 2008 at 12:32 am said:

What I would really like to see is Sony take up responsibility for voice chat for all games. It’s pretty spotty amongst a lot of different games. Some support it, others don’t.I think Microsoft have Sony beat in that and with custom soundtracks.

While I like having new features made available, I’m not too fond of system updates because my first PS3 turned into a $500 dollar brick when I tried to update it the first time.I did everything right and it still messed up my system. Every time I have to install a new update I get really nervous, especially since I have the rare 60GB version and I don’t want to lose that.Luckily Sony had one to replace my original, but who knows how many they have now if any almost 6 months later. One year warranties just don’t cut it for electronics these days. However, I’m glad I didn’t spend money on a 3 year warranty at the retail shop I bought the PS3 from,since the serial number on my replacement PS3 doesn’t match the one on my original receipt now.The warranty would have been null and void. There should be an opportunity to extend the warranty period through Sony for a fee. Or perhaps the better thing to hope for is a longer official warranty period, like say 5 years. That’s why I’ll always buy Seagate hard drives exclusively from now on. 5 years is a reasonable warranty period for electronics. Not 1 year.

+ btk88 on July 8th, 2008 at 12:33 am said:

Nice

+ TypeF on July 8th, 2008 at 12:34 am said:

OK.

I HAD 2.4 AND JUST UPDATED 2.41 AND IT RUNS SMOOTH. THEY DID FIX SOMETHING THOUGH

WHEN I PLAY SINGLE PLAYER ON COD4 IT DID NOT PAUSE THE GAME FOR ME, NOW IT DOES. YAY 2.41 I WUV YOU

+ bizzyb0t on July 8th, 2008 at 12:34 am said:

@ 71

My thoughts exactly. Statistically, it’d have to be astronomical odds to get a cluster like that.

Maybe they all bought their PS3′s at the same time and there was a tiny manufacturing glitch and his entire friends and family had bought that lot up at once?

I know… not likely.

+ kratos93 on July 8th, 2008 at 12:34 am said:

great!!!

you guys are the best!!

but i have a question,

will we be able to send an e-mail to a bunch of friends not one-at-a-time?

+ bizzyb0t on July 8th, 2008 at 12:36 am said:

@ 80

Um, you could send multiple people messages for a long time now.

+ TypeF on July 8th, 2008 at 12:37 am said:

@80

nope only 1 at a time. Hope fully they will implement a PS messenger so you can pm them all at once ^^ and private xmb voice chat or group voice chat

+ TypeF on July 8th, 2008 at 12:37 am said:

@81 reaylly? lol scratch my 82 then lol

+ TypeF on July 8th, 2008 at 12:38 am said:

2.41 WORKS PERFECTLY IF YOU UPGRADE FROM 2.40

I JUST DID YAY!

+ cabrito on July 8th, 2008 at 12:40 am said:

Great work guys.

Keep it up, we can’t express how glad we are for the current ultra fun features and hope you can soon give us updates on what’s to come. We know there is a lot!

Congratulations and cheers!!

+ Spyder-97 on July 8th, 2008 at 12:40 am said:

@ supersnake: ” And when will you fix the disc-reading issue? A friend’s ps3 died yesterday..that’s the 13th dead ps3 for the same cause in my friends/family. >>>I clearly stated friends/family. 4 in my family, the 9 others in my friends/clans.”

Dude! I work in electronics. Seriously… who are you guys the family from “Cheaper by the Dozen”. I mean no offense, but something’s gotta give. The PS3 is not a Fisher Price toy… have them go easy on the disc loading. Don’t push it in … just place the disc carefully into the slot loading drive… don’t push it in and make sure they hold that 12cm disc the right way. Feel me?

+ Onna76_NL on July 8th, 2008 at 12:40 am said:

@ Derrek77 | July 8th, 2008 at 12:25 am

Why cant I get trophies in Super Star Dust HD still?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was already released with the 2.40 firmware update, so you should get a message you’ll need to update to 4.00 when you starting Stardust HD or doesn’t it???

PSN: Onna76_NL

+ Iced_Eagle on July 8th, 2008 at 12:42 am said:

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

Any word on what else is different for those who already had 2.40? The Platinum trophy icon appears to have changed, so that’s one thing.

+ supersnake on July 8th, 2008 at 12:42 am said:

@ 68

yeah thanks..i hope sony will fix their damn blu-ray player. i guess that’s why they’re launching a PS4 soon.. (SCEI said “not sooner than 2010), but it’s much sooner than that “10 year life cycle).

+ bizzyb0t on July 8th, 2008 at 12:42 am said:

@ 83

Message Box -> Create Message -> To: Field -> Select [From a list] -> mark the people in your friend’s list you want to send the message to.

+ Onna76_NL on July 8th, 2008 at 12:44 am said:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ever heard of: handle with care?? :-P

+ JohanMelin on July 8th, 2008 at 12:45 am said:

Good, works fine 4 me.

When Sony release a new theme builder that includes the new icones?

+ TypeF on July 8th, 2008 at 12:45 am said:

@90

COOL! i didnt know that haha >_< i are a noob heh

+ APaz on July 8th, 2008 at 12:48 am said:

I like how they changed the Platinum’s trophy art. The pink crown was stupid.

+ NulEnvoid on July 8th, 2008 at 12:49 am said:

SSHD 4.0 update please?

I bought the game for trophies but it is only the 3.0 version, the 4.0 version got pulled with FW2.4.

SSHD patch back up again shortly?

+ Onna76_NL on July 8th, 2008 at 12:51 am said:

APaz | July 8th, 2008 at 12:48 am

I like how they changed the Platinum’s trophy art. The pink crown was stupid.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They did? Oh blimey, they really did :-D Ey why no pink? What’s wrong with a feminine color :-P

+ Atoms on July 8th, 2008 at 12:51 am said:

Any new features?

+ Stoffinator on July 8th, 2008 at 12:52 am said:

@97

No, its just fixes, which is why its only 1 up.

+ Slick on July 8th, 2008 at 12:56 am said:

I really hope noone was expecting new features….

+ Gusax on July 8th, 2008 at 12:57 am said:

I too had no problem installing 2.40 and I just finished installing 2.41, also without problems.
I have a few issues with the clock though, along with some suggestions on making it better:

1. The battery symbol covers the clock. This means that whenever I push the PS button to look at the clock, it is hidden for a second or two. Could you please move either the battery meter or the clock so that they can both be visible at the same time?

2. The clock says 9:45, while every other 24-hour clock says 09:45. When the XMB has been set to 24 hour format, the clock should always have four numbers HH:MM.

3. The date seem to have been reversed, it says 7/8 (seventh of august) when it should say 8/7 (eight of july). I have set my long date format to YYYY/MM/DD but that does only apply to full date format. To avoid this (since every country seems to like to flip the numbers around), could you change the month from a number to a string instead? So instead of writing 7/8 9:45 you write july 7 09:45? That way it’s impossible to misinterpret what day and what month it is.

Thanks