Uncharted 4

Inside the Developers Studio: Matt Morton

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jul 15, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Today, E3 attendees will have the chance to go hands on with the stellar PixelJunk Eden. Like fellow PixelJunkie Deb Mars, Matt Morton is working on, and is really excited by this upcoming PLAYSTATION Network game. He was also happy to answer these questions (question-asker in parentheses):

• What game(s) you have at E3 this year?
  • If you could choose where E3 was hosted, where would it be? (Dubbedinenglish)
  • If you get the chance, what game(s) do you most want to go hands-on with at E3 2008? (Genki-Rocket)
  • Who in the industry would you most like to collaborate on a game with? (indigovenom)
  • When did you know for sure that you belonged in the video game business? (Sindress)
  • What kind of advice would you give those currently in college and would like to pursue a career in video game development? (Voozi)
  • How often do you make technical changes to your games half-way through or late into the game development cycle based on something you’ve just seen or played from other developers? (P_tear_griffin)
  • If you could say one thing to the fans of your game/series out there, what would it be? (Xanog)

Matt Morton is an Associate Producer at Sony Santa Monica. He has worked on nearly every type, genre and style of video game and continues to look for the next interesting, new, but most importantly: FUN game.

What do you want to know about PixelJunk Eden? Ask and I’ll get the answers.

For the next interview, we leave Santa Monica and head over to Burbank… home of Insomniac Games.

PAGE 1 2

+ tretle on July 15th, 2008 at 8:03 am said:

looking forward to e3 :)

+ Delriach on July 15th, 2008 at 8:03 am said:

Yay. PixelJunk Eden.

+ Delriach on July 15th, 2008 at 8:08 am said:

Hmm, I think I have some questions:

Is there an estimated playtime this game has in order to “beat” it?

Also, what is the difficult level of the game and can it be adjusted?

Has a release date on this game been announced yet? Sorry, I haven’t been keeping up with dates in general… don’t hurt me ;_;

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ mmorton on July 16th, 2008 at 12:26 am said:

Hi there,

We figure about 15-20 hours of gameplay for the average player.

Difficulty ramps up gradually through the levels, by level design, game mechanics and enemies encountered. It\’s a smooth arc.

SOON!! ;)

+ darkwing_uop on July 15th, 2008 at 8:09 am said:

Any idea when its going to be released?

+ Daver on July 15th, 2008 at 8:09 am said:

Again, i really like these interviews :) keep them coming, Good Job!

As for Pixeljunk Eden, I’m buying it for sure, it looks like a different and fun game, i loved all PixelJunk games and i’m really looking forward to the dungeon one, it sounds promising (RPG element in it?, lol)

+ darkwing_uop on July 15th, 2008 at 8:16 am said:

Sorry if it has been announced before, but can the co-op be online?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ mmorton on July 16th, 2008 at 12:27 am said:

Co-op is local machine only. When you play the game, you will quickly realize why you would want the other players in the immediate area with you. Online co-op would honestly make the experience feel disjointed.

+ tsaksyapune on July 15th, 2008 at 8:16 am said:

Nah, square is just some fd up company. microsofts conference only got interesting because of a game we already have, thats sad. plus versus is still ours. sony knew this was coming watch for their full force revenge today!!!!! :D :D :D :D

+ Jeigh on July 15th, 2008 at 8:18 am said:

That’s some pretty good advice and pretty interesting video. The PixelJunk Eden logo is so pretty… I really look forward to it.

Thanks again, Jeff! :D

+ ISEMAN on July 15th, 2008 at 8:18 am said:

This game looks like a funky funtime blast, when is it going to be released?

I WANT!!!

+ Voozi on July 15th, 2008 at 8:18 am said:

“Matt Morton is an Associate Producer at Sony Santa Monica”

Yes I have a question, is Kratos lurking somewhere at E3 and what will the little creatures in PixelJunkEden do if he is

;D see I kept it PJE related

Thanks for featuring my question btw in all these interviews :D

+ ChateauDIf on July 15th, 2008 at 8:19 am said:

On topic: Matt Morton is cool!

+ tsaksyapune on July 15th, 2008 at 8:21 am said:

go sony!!!!!!!!

+ lb003g0676 on July 15th, 2008 at 8:22 am said:

Hahah Matt Moron more like, with that insane laugh.

Nah, I am completely joking.

Your game looks fantastic, and I would also be playing it all the time, and once it’s released I will be.

Excellent old man impression and awesoem way to get into gaming. But it’s a shame not all developers are as open minded about hiring as you, and that goes for all Sony’s first party.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ mmorton on July 16th, 2008 at 12:32 am said:

Gee, I\’ve NEVER heard THAT ONE before!! ;)

Each developer seems to have it\’s own personality… some good, and others… well… just not for me, I\’ll say. What takes the most time is finding the right \’fit\’ and that\’s why I feel very lucky to be where I currently am. It takes time to learn what/who works for yourself, more than anything…. and that takes a lot of trial and error.

+ Fersis on July 15th, 2008 at 8:27 am said:

yeah, love this kind of post.
i cant wait to hear something from the cool guys at insomniac.

+ stewey on July 15th, 2008 at 8:27 am said:

Thanks for the awesome interview Matt! I can’t wait for PixelJunk Eden! I’ve almost beaten SSHD so I’m gonna need something to calm my trophy addiction!

+ darkwing_uop on July 15th, 2008 at 8:38 am said:

guys, pls be on topic, this PJ Eden!

+ 4n4rchy on July 15th, 2008 at 8:39 am said:

Can’t wait for Eden. Also, nice advice on getting involved with a career in video games.

+ GGCAN on July 15th, 2008 at 8:40 am said:

Thanks for the post.

+ Zezzler on July 15th, 2008 at 8:57 am said:

PJ Eden Looks so sweet!!! i cant wait for the demo to come out!!!! I am so glad it will support trophies too, ps3 final has trophies, but there are no games that support it, Realy glad that this one of all the games comming out will support trophies.

+ babybluedb on July 15th, 2008 at 9:01 am said:

PJ Eden looks awsome this is one of those games i can talk my girl friend into playing cant wait until the release

+ Scodo_Thope on July 15th, 2008 at 9:09 am said:

PixelJunk Rules!

+ freemantim on July 15th, 2008 at 9:38 am said:

Morty!

Will there be online multiplayer?

+ afrosheen on July 15th, 2008 at 9:44 am said:

I like this guy, he seems very jolly.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ mmorton on July 16th, 2008 at 12:33 am said:

I am!

+ C-h-a-o-s on July 15th, 2008 at 9:52 am said:

Looking good can’t wait to try it out. Just picked up PJM and i’m loving it so far!

+ DryvBy on July 15th, 2008 at 10:13 am said:

I just hope they announce a HUGE trophy update today :D

+ chip5541 on July 15th, 2008 at 10:14 am said:

What was the inspiration for Eden?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ mmorton on July 16th, 2008 at 12:37 am said:

Dylan Cuthbert at Q-Games worked with Japanese artist Baiyon, who did both the visual and aural elements for Eden.

Check out Baiyon\’s site at: http://baiyon.com/english/

+ Fersis on July 15th, 2008 at 10:24 am said:

Eden is day one buy for me.
Cheers man

+ saunderswan on July 15th, 2008 at 10:26 am said:

sweet family guy rocks :D

+ EternityInBlack on July 15th, 2008 at 10:36 am said:

Heh Hey Matt. Didn’t know you jumped to SCEA! Keep it up.

+ Aerfox on July 15th, 2008 at 10:39 am said:

Good luck at todays E3 Sony. and enjoy your tacos.

+ haran_elessar on July 15th, 2008 at 10:51 am said:

So I’m guessing that they added online co-op for Eden. That was the game that everyone was asking for it to be online…if it’s true then great news! I guess will now in the next hours…

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ mmorton on July 16th, 2008 at 12:38 am said:

Sorry, local co-op only. Online is reserved for the leaderboards and trophies!

MMMmmmmm…. trooooopphhhiieesss!

+ Edu on July 15th, 2008 at 10:55 am said:

LET’S GO SONY!! BRING IT ON!!

+ saintfighteraqua on July 15th, 2008 at 11:04 am said:

I have been waiting for another Pixel Junk game, I can’t wait!!!

+ Onna76_NL on July 15th, 2008 at 11:07 am said:

May I congratulate you for the most originality and fun you’re creating in your games for the PSN?? Its amazing how you guys pull it off, first Pixeljunk Monsters which is favored by everyone and now Pixeljunk Eden which simply looks breathtaking. Elefunk and this are my first day downloads :-)

+ se7enthsign-psn on July 15th, 2008 at 11:43 am said:

Big Jack Tretton is on stage. He looks a little stressed. I think he knows we are watching…waiting.

+ OrganicShadow on July 15th, 2008 at 11:48 am said:

Can’t wait for Eden and Dungeons, and I hope you guys continue to make great PSN games into the foreseeable future.

Thanks Matt!

+ se7enthsign-psn on July 15th, 2008 at 11:50 am said:

Kinda funny. Jack is talking about how important exclusives are.

+ tsaksyapune on July 15th, 2008 at 12:27 pm said:

damn, im selling an e3 winner here now unveil god of war !!!!!

+ tsaksyapune on July 15th, 2008 at 12:28 pm said:

smelling*

+ Violater on July 15th, 2008 at 1:08 pm said:

Jeff
is the new PS3 sku the same as the existing 80gb with BC or just the regular 40gb with a bigger hard drive.

+ Kratos_Thy_God on July 15th, 2008 at 1:34 pm said:

god of war 3 really good teaser though i think everyone would have liked gameplay better,resistance 2 great as always,little big planet looks fantastic other than that it was ok but next e3 dont talk about the ps2 you could have announced much more videos.

+ Sorrow880 on July 15th, 2008 at 1:51 pm said:

I’m really disappointed. The 80 GB isn’t backwards compatible (meaning no unit is BC now). Only one unannounced exclusive was shown for the ps3 (MAG) and it’s just another shooter. No info on White Knight Chronicles, and no info on Team ICO projects. NO new RPG’s announced. So that’s my honest feedback–disappointment. Sorry I couldn’t get excited.

+ Elsa43 on July 15th, 2008 at 2:02 pm said:

Does Canada get the movie DL service????

+ afrosheen on July 15th, 2008 at 2:58 pm said:

@sorrow880: I imagine most of the Japan-centric devs will wait till the TGS to talk about their games, like they do every year. BTW E3 sucks now, this year was the lamest yet for everyone across the board.

+ Wisdom Wanderer on July 15th, 2008 at 2:59 pm said:

Sorrow! The 80 GB is compatiible! This was a great move on Sonys Part!

+ Wisdom Wanderer on July 15th, 2008 at 3:00 pm said:

Sorrow! The 80 GB is compatiible! This was a great move on Sonys Part! On topic; Pixel Junk Eden sounds very interesting and looks very unique. Keep up the good work Pixel Junk!

+ lobotomies4free on July 15th, 2008 at 5:01 pm said:

Thank you so much Matt and the whole Pixeljunk team for what you’re doing for gaming and in games. Me and my girlfriend love your stuff.

In the interest of getting it in the hands of more people PLEASE get Sony to help you out with some advertising. My girlfriend may be totally excited for Eden but she wouldn’t have any idea if it wasn’t for me. Please get a creative advertising team behind you that could pitch and quickly explain your product to all these potential customers out there. I look forward to your future projects

+ Wisdom Wanderer on July 15th, 2008 at 5:24 pm said:

I must’ve been mistaken. Guess not. Ohwell atleast the new users will have more space for the psn titles. ;D

+ serendipiddy on July 15th, 2008 at 6:11 pm said:

yay!!! more fun games!!

..cant wait!!

+ mrnagy88 on July 16th, 2008 at 7:25 am said:

Sorry to be off topic, but Sony, are the new 80GB ps3′s 65nm RSX and Cell?

PAGE 1 2