PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Inside the Developers Studio: Brian Allgeier

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jul 16, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

During yesterday’s E3 Press Conference, Insomniac Games’ Brian Allgeier officially revealed Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty. In this latest E3 interview, Brian talks about Q4B, what Insomniac looks for in a job applicant, and answers your questions (question-asker in parentheses):

• What game(s) you have at E3 this year?
  • Do you think huge trade events like E3 are going to last? (Jeigh)
  • If you get the chance, what game(s) do you most want to go hands-on with at E3 2008? (Genki-Rocket)
  • Who in the industry would you most like to collaborate on a game with? (indigovenom)
  • How has the existence of PSN affected the way you think about games? (tirminyl)
  • What kind of advice would you give those currently in college and would like to pursue a career in video game development? (Voozi)
  • How often do you make technical changes to your games half-way through or late into the game development cycle based on something you’ve just seen or played from other developers? (P_tear_griffin)
  • If you could say one thing to the fans of your game/series out there, what would it be? (Xanog)

For more info on Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, click here, or download yesterday’s press conference trailer from the PLAYSTATION Store.

We wrap up our E3 Developers’ series interviews tomorrow with one of the stars of yesterday’s press conference, Insomniac Games’ President Ted Price.

62 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ X1rtam on July 16th, 2008 at 8:10 am said:

This is really a great idea. I can hardly wait, and at that price, it’s a no-brainer.

Oh, and first! :)

+ Al2x on July 16th, 2008 at 8:13 am said:

R&C will still be the best PlayStation franchise in my mind. Cannot wait for this game! You guys should make a multiplayer game next!

+ Fersis on July 16th, 2008 at 8:13 am said:

Ted Price its like the guy that every mom wants for his dotter :D
ooh that insomniac guys are so cool , R2 is sick ! (sick in a good way)

+ EvilStealth64 on July 16th, 2008 at 8:16 am said:

Oh yeah, 4th comment!

+ Aerfox on July 16th, 2008 at 8:17 am said:

Thanks Jeff for all these interviews you have been putting up. Nice to hear that Ted Price will be interviewed tomorrow. Oh and Jeff, how was the Taco party yesterday?

+ chip5541 on July 16th, 2008 at 8:24 am said:

R2 may be too scary for me to play. I have a fear of big monsters. R&C: ToD is a great game and I have played through 3 times and my 7 year old loves it as well and is on his 2nd time through. We look forward to the sequel.
question… I really can’t think of anything ATM.

+ xenix on July 16th, 2008 at 8:26 am said:

Great job Sony for bringing us with this series. Keep up the goodwork!

PS. http://i36.tinypic.com/2drvz4m.gif

+ xenix on July 16th, 2008 at 8:27 am said:

Great job Sony for bringing us with this series. Keep up the goodwork!

PS. i36.tinypic.com/2drvz4m.gif

+ babybluedb on July 16th, 2008 at 8:28 am said:

Thanks Brain.

I really love the Ratchet and clank series its a awsome game filled with funny moments

Its nice to see what you and the other DEV’S
tell us about how to become a game designer one of my future goals

one qestion if you have time to anwser.I heard you saying quest for booty is coming to the PSN will you guys start making more Ratchet and clank games on the PLAYSTATION NETWORK more often like quest for booty along with the hard full disk copy i think it is a great idea to make PLAYSTATION NETWORK versions in between full version of the game to keep fans going. Nice interview thanks.

+ outkast32 on July 16th, 2008 at 8:29 am said:

8th comment!!!!! yeah!!!

Sony give us a big surprise at e3 there is still time to announce things.

+ Ghostm on July 16th, 2008 at 8:31 am said:

I wish they announced Trophy support for R&C Tools of Destruction. I would of definitely bought a copy right away. I didn’t hear him say anything about Trophy support for Quest for Booty. I’ll only buy it if it supports Trophies.

+ Voozi on July 16th, 2008 at 8:31 am said:

Nice interview, havent really taken the time to learn flash, only game programming language I’ve learned so far has been Open GL (only the basics lol) ;o so guess I better gust off my book and refresh myself on that haha

Thanks looking forward for Ted Price & seeing what he has to say as well :D

+ Onna76_NL on July 16th, 2008 at 8:32 am said:

This is so great, you guys at Insomniac are my favorite Western developers together with Naughty Dog. Ever since Spyro the Dragon I love you guys. I’m no fan of Resistance only because I’m not really in to the FPS genre, but Ratchet & Clank?? LOVE IT! I’m still having a blast with R&C Future TOD and can’t wait for this sequel to arrive at the PSN.

One question though, I’ve read there will be a complete new R&C game on the PS3 available in 2009 on Blu Ray, is that correct? If so, can’t wait!!

+ outkast32 on July 16th, 2008 at 8:32 am said:

o btw is there any online or CO-OP?

+ Delriach on July 16th, 2008 at 8:40 am said:

I have a few questions:

What will be the difficulty level for Q4B and will there be harder ones after you beat it?

Will there be trophy support?

What is the estimated size of this title?

When is it coming out!?

And finally…

Why are you guys so awesome?

+ 4n4rchy on July 16th, 2008 at 8:42 am said:

haha yeah xenix i saw that on the yahoo page, too. Glad to see even major companies liked what sony had, even though many ps3 owners didn’t.

+ CrimsonCalibur on July 16th, 2008 at 8:43 am said:

Brian, how long are you and Insomniac going to stay Sony exclusive. With every other 3rd party developer kicking us in the crotch it only seems inevitable that you will as well. I noticed that you guys refuse to mention what platforms you will be working on in your new east coast studio.

+ Captain Fury on July 16th, 2008 at 8:47 am said:

Brian is keep the awesome work!

any chance of Captain Slag making a comeback?

+ Aaron on July 16th, 2008 at 8:52 am said:

Hi Brian. Will Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty support trophies?

+ GGCAN on July 16th, 2008 at 8:53 am said:

Thank-you !

+ Stoffinator on July 16th, 2008 at 9:01 am said:

Will there be another full Ratchet and Clank game or is it going to be small pieces on the PSN?

And keep up the great work you guys at Insomniac do.

+ leafs_fan on July 16th, 2008 at 9:10 am said:

@ JEFF

hey i know this is off topic but can you give us any update on the video store for canada. it doesnt have to be specific, all i want is a “we’re working on it” or “not gonna happen”. i can accept bad news.

+ darkwing_uop on July 16th, 2008 at 9:12 am said:

Brian, any ideas on how big the game is? Just planning some time to download it once it is available on the PSN Store lols

+ erico316 on July 16th, 2008 at 9:14 am said:

thanks you for this great game.i understand this game takes place after the cliff hanger of the last ratchet and clank game the one for ps3 i mean.so this is a stand alone game or and expansion pack.what made u decide to make a short 4 hours long game compare to the longer version .will this take place as an episodic context with more episodes to follow or will this just finish up the cliff hanger in 4 hours ?

@jeff is there anymore rpg coming out for the ps3 that is exclusion?jeff i believe there is one more ps event this month the play station nation event is that still happening this year or was it cancel because e3 was so close?

@noel and eric lempel so i did not get the full understanding of the new movie store.is the rental versions of movies able to be watch on the psp.also what resolution are the movie in the hd ones.its doesn’t show or tell if its 720p,1080i, or 1080p.
hopefully u guys can clear that up.

+ TLSBill on July 16th, 2008 at 9:22 am said:

Thanks for posting the vids. Great interview, & the trailer looks awesome. It’s inspired me to finally get the last 3-4 skill points I need for RCF:TOD.

I really like the distribution concept as well. $15 every 6-7 months for never ending Ratchet games? Sign me up!

@Aerfox , the Taco Party went pretty darn well in my opinion.. ;)

+ rbanke on July 16th, 2008 at 9:23 am said:

Are you guys regretting that name? Considering it seems that 95% of all these kids dont get that ‘booty’ is another word for treasure. (queue kiddie laughs)

+ Voozi on July 16th, 2008 at 9:50 am said:

Hey Jeff off topic but curious to know how the Taco meetup went, you guys going to post something up about that today?

+ C-h-a-o-s on July 16th, 2008 at 9:51 am said:

Didn’t we pass this “first phase” when the blog had first opened up, now we have people posting random numbers…sheesh. We were doing so good people.

Can’t wait to try this game out!

+ darkos87 on July 16th, 2008 at 9:56 am said:

GTA 4 exclusive DLC just became a very distant bad memory :)

GO GO GO Q4B!!!

+ darkos87 on July 16th, 2008 at 9:56 am said:

BTW Wanted to ask Ted Price whether they will be using myresistance.net for resistance 2 or a new site?

+ Wisdom Wanderer on July 16th, 2008 at 9:56 am said:

Thanks! This game will keep me busy untill the next one!

Keep up the great work!!

+ Ish_786 on July 16th, 2008 at 10:03 am said:

Hey Jeff, where can I post my question?? By the way, how were those tacos?

+ Violater on July 16th, 2008 at 10:23 am said:

Jeff,
is there anything that Sony has shown to the press that is under NDA’s.
Although you probably cant say.
A simple no comment will suffice :)

+ kspraydad on July 16th, 2008 at 10:28 am said:

I’d like to know about remote play. IMO Sony should be making it mandatory for PSN games.

+ phampok on July 16th, 2008 at 10:31 am said:

Great interview.
This game looks fantastic, and I can’t wait.
Speaking of waiting…
Any general release date?
08? 09?
Month?
Maybe I’m asking too much.
By the way, I love the new light/dark elements in the gameplay.

+ Jeigh on July 16th, 2008 at 10:32 am said:

Ha! Love it. And entry into the industry doesn’t sound nearly as difficult as I once thought.

Thanks, Jeff, though I have to wonder how the heck you roped in Ted Price- he seems to have his hands full as of late.

Later. :D

+ p-s-3 on July 16th, 2008 at 10:37 am said:

This might be a silly question! ;-D But will it come out on Disc to??? ;) Or always be a download? Love R&C games! Can’t wait ;-P
+Off-topic WHY OH WHY is there not going to be a PS3 with PS2 B/C for soon??? :-( Thats so annoying :-/ Sorry to Moan ;)

+ terminatorvsmtrx on July 16th, 2008 at 10:43 am said:

r&c is a freakin awesome franchise i cant wait for this.. the giant cobra that shoots out fireballs or whatever it is looks sick

+ Onna76_NL on July 16th, 2008 at 10:44 am said:

@Pampkok, Jack Tretton has said that the game will come this Summer to the PSN, no official date announced.

Speaking of dates Pixeljunk Eden is going to release on my birthday, 31st of July :-D Niiice.

+ Onna76_NL on July 16th, 2008 at 10:45 am said:

Oops Phampok it is sorry…

+ mcx on July 16th, 2008 at 11:00 am said:

A R&C Multi-player game with all the cool weapons they have would be just awesome. Not to mention the amazing creativity that could be had with building the levels.

+ nmc75 on July 16th, 2008 at 11:07 am said:

In answering the question for which game he’d like to play, “I’ve been spending all my time on Quest for Booty” lol, that can be interpreted in so many ways.

+ chasegamez on July 16th, 2008 at 11:35 am said:

Any trophies

+ Jeigh on July 16th, 2008 at 11:38 am said:

@ Nmc75 (41)

XD I can’t believe I didn’t catch that! Now that’s a quest most of us can relate to! XD

+ tsaksyapune on July 16th, 2008 at 11:43 am said:

me want some booty!!! though i havent even finished R&C ToD, im on it…. right now.

+ WHAT on July 16th, 2008 at 12:15 pm said:

I rather of had the person peeking over the divider, star in this video in the E3 trailer. Now that would be a crazy interview.

Also the two videos for R2 in E3 briefing should have been flipped. Starting with the trailer than the game play footage. Not one thing new was said on stage.

+ EViD on July 16th, 2008 at 12:42 pm said:

I’m psyched about this (though it makes me wonder if this means we won’t get a new R&CF on blu-ray anytime soon, maybe a new IP after R2?). So it’s coming this summer, right?

+ Scodo_Thope on July 16th, 2008 at 1:08 pm said:

I am really looking forward to this one! Thank you Insomniac!

+ stennex on July 16th, 2008 at 1:23 pm said:

I am looking forward to this game. Insomniac has been really great to Sony during this generation so far. Thank you guys for this game.

+ dan1066 on July 16th, 2008 at 2:43 pm said:

will you please please give us trophies for ratchet and clank tools of destruction once quest for booty is released?

PAGE 1 2