PS4 - Destiny

Live Demo: Valkyria Chronicles, PS3 exclusive SRPG

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jul 18, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

E3 may now be over, but the games shown off at the event will be a part of our lives throughout this holiday season and beyond. One title that will occupy the lives of PLAYSTATION 3 owners for hours upon hours this fall is Valkyria Chronicles. This PS3-exclusive strategy-JRPG from Sega (to clarify, NOT a PSP game), is utilizing the power of the console to push its dynamic and visually arresting Canvas Engine.

The graphics in Valkyria Chronicles appear similar to an animated watercolor painting, with a bit of the colored-pencil-sketch action seen A-ha’s 1980’s “Take On Me” video. As you’ll see in the video below – it really works.

Speaking of the video, it features Sega Associate Producer Christopher Kaminski detailing the unique battle system found in Valkyria Chronicles – it completely takes the Strategy RPG genre “off the grid.”

We’ll have more on Valkyria Chronicles here on the PlayStation.Blog as we near its November release date.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ misteroy on July 18th, 2008 at 9:45 am said:

First! Hooray! First time
great stuff, thanks jeff ;)

+ EvilStealth64 on July 18th, 2008 at 9:45 am said:

1st Comment!! but the video isnt loading for me….

+ EvilStealth64 on July 18th, 2008 at 9:45 am said:

now it is, lol, looks good

+ misteroy on July 18th, 2008 at 9:45 am said:

@ 2 evilstealth

Beat ya, take that.

+ emjayx on July 18th, 2008 at 9:45 am said:

cool art style

+ misteroy on July 18th, 2008 at 9:46 am said:

Seriously jeff, we want more JRPGs. I’m sick and tired of FPS

+ stewey on July 18th, 2008 at 9:50 am said:

wow this game looks awesome! I can’t wait for it’s release. It will def be a first day buy for me.

+ Riskbreaker23 on July 18th, 2008 at 9:54 am said:

more rpgs, less shooters

+ Captain Fury on July 18th, 2008 at 9:55 am said:

Nice! could you get someone from Sega to talk more about the tittle near release Jeff?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 18th, 2008 at 10:39 am said:

That\’s the plan!

+ LugeZ on July 18th, 2008 at 9:55 am said:

WOWSERS! It kinda reminds me of that old classic PS2 game Ring of Red. Glad to see its from SEGA. Can’t wait!

+ outkast32 on July 18th, 2008 at 9:55 am said:

..cool i wish it wasnt cartoon like though.

+ Jenovah on July 18th, 2008 at 9:58 am said:

Thanks Jeff, I’m so hyped on this game, especially the art style. Are you guys going to feature any footage of “Fat Princess” for PSN? I can’t find any footage of it around the web?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 18th, 2008 at 10:44 am said:

Well Fat Princess is further from release than, say, PixelJunk Eden. When we get closer, expect to see a lot more of Fat Princess (um, no pun in there).

+ Joe on July 18th, 2008 at 9:58 am said:

I so think this game looks good and I can’t wait to play it. Also its to bad Valkyria Chronicles is not coming to the PSP too. I saw the trailer and thought the game would be fun on the PSP.

Seeing as a lot of people liked the idea of the game coming to the PSP may be Sony you could ask Sega to bring it to the PSP after all. Plus may be it could be a spin-off too.

Then that would be even better.

+ Keith K on July 18th, 2008 at 9:59 am said:

I hate that acronym: SRPG

It’s not an RPG. It’s a strategy game. You’re just trying to slip it under the radar because the fan base wants real RPGs, not Strategy games. There is a world of difference. We want grind-tastic JRPGs man..

Anyway.. kudos to Sega on this game, regardless of my feelings toward the genre, this game looks utterly superb.

+ nmc75 on July 18th, 2008 at 10:00 am said:

The graphics in this game alone is making me want to play this.

+ SevenFactors on July 18th, 2008 at 10:01 am said:

WOW this RPG is looking awesome. I can see its potential and the mass appeal it will have have for the PS3 gaming community. -Not to mention the RPG hunger we all have-

+ amante on July 18th, 2008 at 10:06 am said:

@Keith K

I hate any acronym other than RPG. :)

But seriously, I think an RPG is an RPG no matter how you cut it. I think it just comes down to some core elements. When I think about it, all RPG’s have some sort of strategic element in them (as do all games really) so to classify them as anything other than just RPG seems silly.

This looks pretty sweet though. I stopped paying attention to it when I thought it was a PSP game but now knowing it’s PS3, I may have to keep this on my radar.

PS. I really do enjoy these constant updates. Keep up the good work!

+ misteroy on July 18th, 2008 at 10:06 am said:

FAT PRINCESS FTW!!
GOTY 2008 !!!!

+ TheInfectedBy590 on July 18th, 2008 at 10:09 am said:

Will it have Trophy Support?
Not that it matters, I’m buying this game as soon as it’s released, but trophies would be nice. :D

+ lowhonor on July 18th, 2008 at 10:10 am said:

more JRPG much less FPS. heck ill give up some FPS if we can more JRPGs.

+ erico316 on July 18th, 2008 at 10:10 am said:

is this truly going to be a ps3 exclusion jeff? does sony have a contract this time with sega?or are we suppose to take the word of third party again?please respond back to this question jeff?im starting to think of some kind of hit list of people u don’t to respond to jeff.

+ KazeEternal on July 18th, 2008 at 10:12 am said:

I’m not sure what to make of this post, but at least Jeff is giving this game attention. If only the higher ups were as responsive about the RPG situation.

Anyway I’m looking forward to hearing more about this game. The battle system actually looks appealing as I have gotten pretty sick of standard Strategy games. Can’t even get through FFT anymore.

I seriously hope sony puts forth the effort to keep this exclusive.

+ PsychoWarden on July 18th, 2008 at 10:14 am said:

Good to see Sony giving this some attention.

My only question for you guys is this; where are all the other RPGs? There have to be more. Don’t be like Nintendo and expect only one title per year to hold us over.

Talk to Square. Talk to Konami. Help us RPG fans help you make the PS3 a success.

+ DG on July 18th, 2008 at 10:16 am said:

JRPGs aren’t my thing lately but the visual style of VC looks incredible.

+ the_icon on July 18th, 2008 at 10:16 am said:

Any exclusive is good.

+ DGDJB on July 18th, 2008 at 10:17 am said:

i agree, less shooter and more exclusive rpgs.

+ chronotrigger on July 18th, 2008 at 10:17 am said:

Can’t wait for this game, we need more like this!!!

+ Voozi on July 18th, 2008 at 10:18 am said:

Awesome blog post, glad you guys posted this up, this game isn’t getting the attention it deserves. Going to be a day 1 buy for me =D

Can we get an update on White Knight Chronicles please?

+ lakaihigh on July 18th, 2008 at 10:21 am said:

it will be a good break from all the FPS games that are coming our way but that doesn’t mean i want them any less. nice link to the a-ha music video Jeff. i also love me some 80s alternative music.

peace,
Lh

+ Cerberus_Hunter on July 18th, 2008 at 10:21 am said:

Looks really nice and fun BUT i would like to see more epic RPGs on PS3 without guns. For 08 like 07 and 06 there are none coming… :(

+ Cerberus_Hunter on July 18th, 2008 at 10:27 am said:

The youtube video isn’t working for me: “This video is not available in your country.” -_-?

+ GGCAN on July 18th, 2008 at 10:28 am said:

Nice – thanks !

+ ISEMAN on July 18th, 2008 at 10:29 am said:

This game is sexy, and I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

+ SicboyGS on July 18th, 2008 at 10:31 am said:

Bionic Commando: Rearmed and RPGs, that’s what I want. Thanks for the info.

+ Gunwing on July 18th, 2008 at 10:32 am said:

While I love FPS games a few good RPGs tend to help flush out a consoles libary for the better. BTW: Square did not say that Final Fantasy XII was exclusive to the Xbox360, only that it will come out to that platform as well.

I hope that we get more and more RPGs, and most of all fun kids games! The PS3 is lacking in much of anything rated T-E10+ or lower thats any good. Wall-E was a great game and one of the few movie tie in games for kids thats worth picking up if you own a PS3. But for the love of god we need more support from US developers! Get games on the PS3 that are not just shooters! How about the killer StarWars games eh?

Bring back StarWars Starfighter only this time have it cover the clone wars, and later the GCW. No jedi powers please!

Also we could use some PS3 exclusive games that are just for fun as well! The PSP has many great and fun games to play for both the hardcore, and the casual gamer I think that RPGs, and StarWars on the PS3 would help bring the system around to all developers for sure.

SWBF:RS was a great PSP game, but many of us wan’t a StarWarsBattlefront for the PS3 with 60 player online play seemless space, to ground combat gameplay: Dogfight up in space and then fly into a planets atmosphere and dogfight around in the sky, then land troops on the planet and attack the enemy from abover with plantary bombardments, and large scale combat. In fact think like MAG only it’s all StarWars and has nothing to do with the darn Jedi! Clone Wars era it could be or not no Jedi!

+ Jeigh on July 18th, 2008 at 10:34 am said:

Good stuff. It definitely looks good, and it should be a nice change of pace, though the fact that so many games these days are based around wars is kind of annoying. Not just the FPS (though they are certainly a major contributing factor) but even Final Fantasy XII was based on politics and war. I have to wonder when this trend is going to end and we’ll see more light-hearted fare. Quite a far-cry from our usual Ratchet & Clank, Final Fantasy X, Spyro and whatnot.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for this, Jeff! I hadn’t actually seen any game demonstrations of this before now. Keep up the great work! :D

+ ayrkain on July 18th, 2008 at 10:34 am said:

Hear, hear. More White Knight Chronicles news please!!!! I even wrote a letter to Level 5, used Babelfish to translate it and sent it via their webform. Of course, no response, but at least I tried!

+ FFObsessed on July 18th, 2008 at 10:38 am said:

Let Sony know we want more games like this, more Japanese titles, more RPGs. It’s why a lot of us became PlayStation fans in the first place.

I do like the look of the FPS’s coming to PS3 as well, Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 I will buy, but it’s important to have a well balanced catalog of different genres.

+ darkiewonder on July 18th, 2008 at 10:40 am said:

Third person Strategy RPG is more like it ;P

can’t wait to see more about this.

+ TouchyEd on July 18th, 2008 at 10:40 am said:

This certainly doesn’t look like an RPG…at least not in the way that I’ve ever viewed the RPG genre. “S”RPG, well, okay, maybe.

But it seems WAY more like an RTS / TBS combo type game.

Having said that, it still looks awesome. And I can’t wait to try it out!!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 18th, 2008 at 10:48 am said:

Trust me, it\’s an RPG – leveling up, fantasy elements, inventories, the lot of it. It\’s just packaged in an entirely different way. Kind of reminds me of Shining Force (an all time fave of mine), but with an extra 15 years of advancements and enhancements.

+ TouchyEd on July 18th, 2008 at 10:41 am said:

Did someone actually say that Wall-E was a great game? (#35).

Am I still sleeping?

+ Poochie on July 18th, 2008 at 10:41 am said:

More games like this plz. More and more and more and more.

+ perrandy on July 18th, 2008 at 10:45 am said:

this game looks good but from what i heard once someone from your party dies then its gone for good.so, i will pass at this but i really i’m gonna buy the other srpg that they arent mentioning which is disgaea 3. overall,would love to see more rpgs to be shown/talked over here :)

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on July 18th, 2008 at 10:49 am said:

Actually, you have time to save their lives… if you\’re good, they will live.

+ jayyy91 on July 18th, 2008 at 10:46 am said:

Can you guys get the name of the song from the Playstaion Family video you posted the other day? It’s also the same song used at the Sony E3 Conference at the beginning. There are a lot of people looking for it! Thanks.

+ Captain Fury on July 18th, 2008 at 10:47 am said:

@Jeff

yeah my bad! typing that while the video was still streaming….

+ JordanBlack68 on July 18th, 2008 at 10:48 am said:

Jeff, good job, need more jrpgs :D

+ perrandy on July 18th, 2008 at 10:48 am said:

oh yeah i forgot i’m also waiting for shirokishi monogatari aka white knight story/chronicles.i hope that game will come to america as well

i also wish that someone would bring agarest senki ;)

+ Juben on July 18th, 2008 at 10:54 am said:

Looks great probably a first day purchase

c.hunter well our most epic RPG FF13 which your gravatar pic is from has a character and a gun. :-)or Gunblade probably something knew because she was changing that thing like it was a rubix cube into various weapons of doom lol

+ X820 on July 18th, 2008 at 10:55 am said:

Looking good, keep the RPGs coming please.

+ McBonk on July 18th, 2008 at 10:55 am said:

Visually stunning, folks. Just lovely. Now… will the pen prove to be as mighty as the pixel? I’m keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

PAGE 1 2 3 4