PS4 - Destiny

Live Demo: Valkyria Chronicles, PS3 exclusive SRPG

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jul 18, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

E3 may now be over, but the games shown off at the event will be a part of our lives throughout this holiday season and beyond. One title that will occupy the lives of PLAYSTATION 3 owners for hours upon hours this fall is Valkyria Chronicles. This PS3-exclusive strategy-JRPG from Sega (to clarify, NOT a PSP game), is utilizing the power of the console to push its dynamic and visually arresting Canvas Engine.

The graphics in Valkyria Chronicles appear similar to an animated watercolor painting, with a bit of the colored-pencil-sketch action seen A-ha’s 1980’s “Take On Me” video. As you’ll see in the video below – it really works.

Speaking of the video, it features Sega Associate Producer Christopher Kaminski detailing the unique battle system found in Valkyria Chronicles – it completely takes the Strategy RPG genre “off the grid.”

We’ll have more on Valkyria Chronicles here on the PlayStation.Blog as we near its November release date.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ MidnightBlues on July 18th, 2008 at 10:42 pm said:

gawd u guys need to stop b-itching….how many freaking rpg’s do you need??? I think this one game is enough…you guys are looking a “zelda-esque” game arent you?

+ mrnagy88 on July 18th, 2008 at 11:15 pm said:

Very nice! Each time I watch one of these videos, I get more and more interested in the game, it’s something that’s really needed on the PS3.

+ masteratt on July 19th, 2008 at 12:00 am said:

Yes, finally a long, beautiful and what looks to be a superb [S]RPG for the PS3!

I can now set a camp of litter and bad odour around the PS3 and enjoy this game from Day One to however long it lasts, non-stop!

Thanks SEGA!

+ RatchetFanatic on July 19th, 2008 at 1:59 am said:

looks freakin AMAZING. this will be a first day purchase for me. but i think i speak for everyone when i ask “when can we expect a 360 version?”. haha just kidding…hopefully.

+ Onna76_NL on July 19th, 2008 at 3:01 am said:

@Makingmusic, well I do miss (N)GC as toothache :-D

Indeed, a lot of questions are being unanswered around here.

+ frostquake on July 19th, 2008 at 5:20 am said:

Jeff,
Will the PSN get a demo, or just a straight game release with no demo?

+ Poraemon on July 19th, 2008 at 7:24 am said:

I have a JP version. The game is good but I noticed something strange, There is no support In Game XMB.

+ PS fanboy on July 19th, 2008 at 9:53 am said:

is there gonna be an online play? and is it gonna be exclusive 4 PS3 4 sure? (unlike FFXIII)

+ matmanx1 on July 20th, 2008 at 6:35 am said:

Looks fantastic and fun. Props to Sega for this one and I cant wait to play it!

+ Silver on July 20th, 2008 at 7:56 am said:

I’ve been following this game since it came out in Japan. I was kind of hoping they stuck with the original voices (As I’m sure a lot of people were)but I definitely heard an English, “BANG, BANG, BANG.”

Unless they have the original voice acting as an option I’m just going import the Japanese version; It’ll piss off my room-mate who was hopeing to play it but I’d rather put up with him than the god-awful dubs all Japanese games get.

Anyway, it looks great regardless.

+ Kosmos on July 20th, 2008 at 10:30 am said:

I hope Sega gets rewarded for this game, with the lack of rpg today a solid game will sell well.

I understand your policy of making games instead of paying for them but Sony, we need RPG, please make a first party developer team to only rpg.

Everyone I know would like a Legend of Dragoon sequel , make it happen!

+ jdspade72 on July 20th, 2008 at 1:41 pm said:

Hello Jeff. I, along with many have the same reaction to this game. It is a GREAT looking game and I am estatic that SEGA is getting involved once more. The big question I pose is what has happened to the huge RPG base that we have all come to love with early gen PS?? It seems since PS3 has come on the market, RPG’s have suffered. Any comments?? Thanks.

+ Dark_Vincent on July 20th, 2008 at 6:16 pm said:

Jeff Rubenstein replied on July 18, 2008 at 12:51 pm

If you all wanna know more about Disgaea 3, I’ll talk to the fine folks at NIS. Give me a few weeks ;-)

—————————–

Jeff, you are the king!! It’s people like you who make our PlayStation experience that much better =)

+ MidgetguyII on July 20th, 2008 at 7:21 pm said:

The game looks good!!!! :) I’m probably going to be picking this one up!

+ Silver on July 20th, 2008 at 10:21 pm said:

From the Sega site:
“*Please note: this game features both English and Japanese (with English subtitles) language tracks. All game text and menus will be in English only.”

Ok, I’m happy now; hopefully this can become standard practice for such games. *Jabs at upcoming “Eternal Sonata” release*

+ Nibehlung on July 21st, 2008 at 1:04 am said:

I hate to flog the dead horse but I agree with those who have said that Sony needs more JRPGs and other Japanese-style games.

Also, Tecmo is apparently breaking up its team now. Maybe SCEJ can secure one or two team and ask them to develop exclusively for Sony?

+ Golden Kintaro on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:34 pm said:

Love the artstyle to this game! Interesting movement concept too..

+ midnightshade on July 23rd, 2008 at 9:27 pm said:

Great, finally a RPG for ps3! This game looks amazing, its got my purchase! Now bring out more!

+ Thebrain on July 28th, 2008 at 11:43 pm said:

I would like to see more on this game, please try to get some video for the PSN updates from Sega. Hopefully both Sega and you guys can do some more advertising for this game because it’s coming out in a very crazy month. November is the Month of Death! Resistance 2, Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead. Market the game well!

PAGE 1 2 3 4