PS3-TLOU Left Behind

BioShock PS3 Trophies Confirmed, Detailed

Tynan Wales's Avatar + Posted by Tynan Wales on Jul 21, 2008 // Designer, BioShock PS3

As an ongoing effort to show some of the features that are going into BioShock for the PLAYSTATION 3, we would like to invite you to peek behind the curtain and see how the game is taking form.

BioShock welcome

Recently, the BioShock PS3 design team here at 2K Marin spent some time with the Trophy system for the PS3. The Trophies for the PS3 are ranked as if you, the game player, were an Olympian. It seemed only right that we organize our thoughts by this method.
Our first batch out of the Trophy-maker, were the Bronze Trophies.

Just like in the original BioShock, for the PS3 version our initial emphasis was on encouraging thoroughness and exploration of the BioShock universe. Each system in BioShock has a reward for the player that digs deep enough. Our hope is that players that may otherwise neglect a system will want to explore it just for the Trophy. Systems like Researching, Modifying Weapons, Hacking, and Crafting are all loaded with awards. A meticulous player will find themselves up to their armpits in prizes.

While every system has a tactical in-game advantage, we hope these Trophies will encourage players to try out every aspect of BioShock. Hacking, for example, is a system that some players may never focus on. However, for the player who gets out their wrench and starts tinkering, the tactical significance of having a turret and two security bots on your team is impressive. We hope that luring you in with the promise of glittering medals will make you consider revisiting such systems. We believe that once you get a nibble of the effectiveness of certain tactics, you’ll come back for a full meal.

BioShock - medical w HUD

Silver Trophies were next to be handed out.

For the true explorer, we present one of the more difficult Trophies to get in all of Rapture. The “Historian” Trophy is awarded for finding every single audio diary. This particular Trophy is Silver because we understand the rigor required for this endeavor. If you’re a true adventurer and seek to know the full story of the fall of Rapture, look under every desk and open every door. There are many to find.
As you may expect, several Trophies must remain secret. Giving this information away has the same effect as turning to the last page in a great book. We imagine you hate this as much as we do. The other silver Trophy must remain in our vault until you discover it for yourselves.

Next we turned to the Gold Trophies, the real beauties.

When considering how to use these Trophies to reward players, we chose to give a respectful nod to those few who desire a challenge. We believe that BioShock PS3 has a lot to offer in a single play through, but we wanted to emphasize and reward a player’s second or third descent into Rapture. This led us to create new Trophies that encourage more advanced tactics and enemies that provide a greater challenge.
As a result of this thinking the first Trophy bears the name, “Brass Balls”. If you desire to be among the few who have this prestigious award on their mantle, you must win BioShock on Hard difficulty with the Vita-Chambers turned off. A feat so daring that anyone even glimpsing this formidable Trophy in your glass case will be shaking with terror and respect.

There are still more Trophies yet to be unveiled which will push you further than this. Devilish trials which only the sturdiest among us will finish. Keep your ears peeled for further details.

We believe that you will find gathering all of these Trophies a grueling but satisfying trek. Should you manage to gather every single bronze, silver, and gold Trophy, the ultimate achievement is waiting: the coveted BioShock Platinum Trophy. Its glistening mass is reserved for those few who can stare down a Big Daddy without shivering.

Our hands are at the ready to give congratulatory pats on the back to anyone strong willed enough to claim these shiny keepsakes. Until then, expect more updates from the designers here at 2K Marin as BioShock for the PS3 surfaces.

142 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Kindergamer on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:07 am said:

I may finally buy this game when I get a PS3.

+ Onna76_NL on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:00 am said:

Jeez, and the whining continues.

Anyway, this game is too hard (concerning style) for my taste.

+ the_icon on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:19 am said:

@ 37

Totally agree with you.

+ tezasaurus on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:35 am said:

To the people poo-pooing in-game music, get a grip. Personally, I wouldn’t use it the first time through so I could really experience the game, but I might like to listen to some music or a podcast for repeated playthroughs when trophy-hunting. Why is that so horrible that you need to freak out about it?

+ ghamdikh1 on July 22nd, 2008 at 4:46 am said:

yo guys check this out:

Written by gtxboyracer from Neo Crisis.com

date:Monday, 21 July 2008

From my own testing these are the games i have tested, and would like others to comment with their own games to we can build a list of games and how integrated they are the the in-game xmb stuff.

XMB = In-Game XMB Runs?
MUSIC = Custom Soundtracks?

* Assassins Creed – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO (XMB sluggish, moreso in 2.41)
* Battlefield: Bad Company – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Bourne Conspiracy – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Burnout Paradise – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO (10th July for cagney should change this)
* CONAN – XMB: YES / MUSIC NO
* Call of Duty 3 – XMB: NO / MUSIC: NO
* Call of Duty 4 – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Dark Mist – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Dark Sector – XMB: YES / MUSIC NO
* Devil May Cry 4 – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Eye Create – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Flow + Expansion – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO (XMB sluggish)
* Folding@Home – XMB: Yes / MUSIC: Yes
* Ratchet – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Resistance: Fall of Man – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Ridge Racer 7 -XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Rock Band – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Rub’a'Dub – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Singstar V1 – XMB: YES / MUSIC NO
* SuperStardust HD – XMB: YES / MUSIC: YES (with addon only)
* Skate – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Sonic Superstars Tennis – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Super Puzzle fighter HD Remix – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* The Darkness – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* The Orange Box – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO (TF2/HL2/HL2-EP1&2 and Portal)
* Tiger Woods 08 – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* TimeShift – XMB: Yes / MUSIC: NO
* Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas USA – XMB: Yes / MUSIC: NO
* Top Spin – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Uncharted – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Virtua Fighter 5 – XMB: Yes / MUSIC: NO
* Warhawk – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* WWE Smackdown vs Raw – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO

+ MSplatter on July 22nd, 2008 at 4:46 am said:

The graphics on the hands don’t look right, did you lower the polycount & texture??? If this doesn’t look better then it’s initial release (something like 1080p) I really don’t see the reason to buy it… :( & What is new in this version that wasn’t on the 360?

+ ghamdikh1 on July 22nd, 2008 at 4:47 am said:

again
yo guys check this out:

Written by gtxboyracer from Neo Crisis.com

date:Monday, 21 July 2008

XMB = In-Game XMB Runs?
MUSIC = Custom Soundtracks?

* Assassins Creed – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO (XMB sluggish, moreso in 2.41)
* Battlefield: Bad Company – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Bourne Conspiracy – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* CONAN – XMB: YES / MUSIC NO
* Call of Duty 3 – XMB: NO / MUSIC: NO
* Call of Duty 4 – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Dark Mist – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Dark Sector – XMB: YES / MUSIC NO
* Devil May Cry 4 – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Eye Create – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Flow + Expansion – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO (XMB sluggish)
* Folding@Home – XMB: Yes / MUSIC: Yes
* Ratchet – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Resistance: Fall of Man – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Ridge Racer 7 -XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Rock Band – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Rub’a'Dub – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Singstar V1 – XMB: YES / MUSIC NO
* SuperStardust HD – XMB: YES / MUSIC: YES (with addon only)
* Skate – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Sonic Superstars Tennis – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Super Puzzle fighter HD Remix – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* The Darkness – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* The Orange Box – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO (TF2/HL2/HL2-EP1&2 and Portal)
* Tiger Woods 08 – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* TimeShift – XMB: Yes / MUSIC: NO
* Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas USA – XMB: Yes / MUSIC: NO
* Top Spin – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Uncharted – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* Virtua Fighter 5 – XMB: Yes / MUSIC: NO
* Warhawk – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO
* WWE Smackdown vs Raw – XMB: YES / MUSIC: NO

+ MSplatter on July 22nd, 2008 at 4:50 am said:

Stardust supported the ingame music b/f I installed the multiplayer add-on, pretty sure that was included in the update, you go to option=sound=custom, and that list is annoying #105, all that stuff was naturally not patched this quickly… No reason to. And folding@Home had the custom previous to 1.4, has nothing to do w/ the update.

+ toolfan2007 on July 22nd, 2008 at 6:06 am said:

This game is going to be amazing can’t wait to get my hands on a copy…:-D

+ Juben on July 22nd, 2008 at 6:08 am said:

ghamdikh1 why are spamming this stuff in the wrong thread? Boot him or delete his post its getting annoying seeing the same post in each thread.

Now for the trophies definitely something to look forward too. Since I’m not to into trophies this will peak my curiousity a little more maybe increase the replay view. But I will probably pick this up on the shear fact because of the hype of the game from the previous year.

Alyssa Finley What are some other games from 2k Marin that are in the works?

+ Ghostm on July 22nd, 2008 at 6:10 am said:

I wasn’t planning on buying this game but since it’s supporting Trophies. Its a day one purchase for me even though I’m not a FPS kind of guy.

+ Onna76_NL on July 22nd, 2008 at 6:38 am said:

@ghamdikh1 how about people who don’t give a sh*t and stop the spamming already!

+ artofwar420 on July 22nd, 2008 at 6:47 am said:

Great, it looks like this is more than just a port, might be enough for a second purchase (I have the PC version).

OH and that first comment, totally a great idea.

+ CitizenErased on July 22nd, 2008 at 7:01 am said:

I loved Bioshock when I played it on the 360. My 2nd 360 and launch replacement contracted the horrible RROD early January and never got a chance to go through the game a second time. I would’ve bought it on PS3 had it been released on it.

However Bioshock is such an awesome game I’ll be buying it again for the PS3. Hopefully you give us the Collector’s Edition with a Big Daddy figure too.

I’m glad that 2K Marin are supporting and Implementing Trophies. Hopefully more companies continue this trend and Sony make Trophy support a requirement. Since it will only lead to more hardware and software sales.

+ amante on July 22nd, 2008 at 7:24 am said:

@Onna76_NL

Keheeheehee. F**kin right! Him and nevian. I think we all saw the post the first time around and I think most of the people don’t give a flying f**k. And yes…f**ks DO fly.

+ Fersis on July 22nd, 2008 at 8:16 am said:

@112 Onna76_NL
Lovely

+ luminousCranium on July 22nd, 2008 at 8:22 am said:

I just started a new game of Bioshock on my Xbox360. I am trying to go through the game on “Hard” difficulty for the first time. Hopefully with this experience behind me, I will be able to fly through and get these trophies with no problem when I rent or purchase the PS3 version (depends on the additional content added).

Bioshock was my GOTY for 2007 and I am more than happy to show my support to the team by making another purchase if I find it worth the additional $60. I am at least happy to go through the game yet another time on the PS3. I have high hopes for this port.

+ Violater on July 22nd, 2008 at 8:40 am said:

Just curious, is the game still going to cost $60 ?

+ mysticw on July 22nd, 2008 at 8:45 am said:

Can’t wait to play this on my PS3 and get more games with trophies enabled.

+ JJ555666. on July 22nd, 2008 at 9:41 am said:

Will this game cost $50?

+ ghamdikh1 on July 22nd, 2008 at 9:42 am said:

bad news boys.

2K Games has confirmed to VideoGamer.com that it is not going to improve BioShock visuals for PS3 version.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at E3, 2K Games senior producer Melissa Miller said that it’s concentrating on matching, not bettering the visuals seen in the Xbox 360 version.

+ NeCrom-X on July 22nd, 2008 at 10:11 am said:

This is finally a port that looks better than the one on the 360. They already said we would be getting an extra area don’t know if its the underwater zoo I think its the part with the nutcrackers they show in the video of the PS3 game play.

+ NeCrom-X on July 22nd, 2008 at 10:12 am said:

Visuals look better than the 360 version if you watch the video of actual PS3 footage.

+ Nynja on July 22nd, 2008 at 10:21 am said:

What happened to the ability to re-download your purchases? I purchased Afro Samurai episodes 1-4 and I do not see an option to re-download them if they are lost or deleted (for disc space reasons).

Also, I suppose the ‘game sharing’ option does not apply on purchased videos?

Why do we have such a short period for rentals? For such an expensive amount, we only receive 24 hours to watch the rented video? I know about the 14 day grace period, but that does not excuse the extremely short rental period. For the same price on most of the available videos, one could rent from Blockbuster and have the option to watch it as many times as they wish within weeklong rental period.

I must say I have been very supportive of Sony’s offerings until recently. I am very disappointed with the options and do not intend to buy ANY MORE videos from the store.

Something needs to be done about the rental/purchase policies.

+ xRolandOfGileadx on July 22nd, 2008 at 11:14 am said:

Wow, first a lot of you scream about not every game having trophies and then when you find out they are most likely the same as 360 achievments you scream about that. Did you really expect different, when the trophy system is Sony’s answer to the achievment system. I don’t see a problem with it, in fact it evens the field when a person is choosing which system to buy a cross-platform game for.
Also for those who are complaining about a possible $60 price tag. Though the game may be a port from a game released a year ago, 2KMarin says the PS3 version will be the definitive version to purchase. Not only do you get the award winning original title, but you also get the DLC released for 360 and the PC and there will be PS3 exclusive content. In the videos that have been posted they show off a carnival area that is new to only the PS3. Clearly worth $60 in my book and hopefully a lot of others too. This holiday season(though overcrowded)will be the best for all gamers in quite awhile.

+ PS fanboy on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:18 pm said:

u guys(2k) have so much respect 4 sony!
im hoping that bioshock 2 will also go to PS3!

+ Nynja on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:20 pm said:

Comment# 124 was posted under the wrong topic… my mistake. Should have been under the number 1 downloaded video.

+ APaz on July 22nd, 2008 at 3:20 pm said:

Even more reasons to replay this title.

+ The_Black_Circle on July 22nd, 2008 at 6:28 pm said:

Sony!

Please please please release the total downloads of Super Stardust HD (+add-ons) since the integration of trophies in the game. I feel it would only take the numbers as an example to encourage developers to patch previously released games and integrate them into many more upcoming titles.

I’m certain the sales of Super Stardust HD has skyrocketed, most everybody who knows about trophies now has this game on their PS3.

I think it’s a much easier way to convince devs it’s a viable feature, rather than twisting arms and pleading with them!

+ Dante101 on July 22nd, 2008 at 10:04 pm said:

when are we going to see the trophy for other games like mgs or stuff that just came out

+ LooneyASESINO on July 23rd, 2008 at 12:03 pm said:

i own b-shock on 360. but the ps3 version will soon join his twin brother on my shelf

+ danielakadanny on July 23rd, 2008 at 7:15 pm said:

this game BETTER have more gameplay and extras since it didn’t come out the same time as the 360 version

+ danielakadanny on July 23rd, 2008 at 7:17 pm said:

this game BETTER have more gameplay and extras since it didn’t come out with the 360 version

+ danielakadanny on July 23rd, 2008 at 7:19 pm said:

hopefully it does have more extras and gameplay because why did it take so long to come out on the PS3?

+ Prince_Serlith on July 23rd, 2008 at 11:35 pm said:

I can’t wait to get a hold on this game. I hope its as good as everyone says it is.. or better

Getting all of the Trophies is going to be fun… or a Challenge.

+ Ocelot- on July 24th, 2008 at 7:31 am said:

Trophies FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ drdistracto707 on July 25th, 2008 at 1:27 am said:

I thought you could only get platinum if you get all other trophies

+ SheikhYerbouti on July 26th, 2008 at 8:30 pm said:

I doubted that BioShock will sale much on the PS3, but gamers starved to try out the trophy system may bite.

I won’t. I was hyped about BioShock and Mass Effect when they were exclusives for XBox. But they ain’t Metal Gear, so I bought a PS3. I’m looking toward the future, not the past.

+ xXPayneXx71 on July 26th, 2008 at 8:47 pm said:

I’m looking forward to see how all the different games exploit the trophy feature.

+ xXPayneXx71 on July 26th, 2008 at 8:48 pm said:

Good old-fashioned fun.

+ grim66615 on August 14th, 2008 at 3:43 pm said:

just got to say games is amazing played the 360 version finished it 5 times all difficultys and achievments hope it has alot of download content to add to the game

PAGE 1 2 3