PS4-Watch_Dogs

First look at MAG

Rade Stojsavljevic's Avatar + Posted by Rade Stojsavljevic on Jul 22, 2008 // MAG Sr. Producer

Recently we had the incredible opportunity to share with you a first look for the MAG project at the SCEA E3 Press Conference. We’re thrilled with the early responses from everyone and have been amazed at all the creative speculation about the game. If you haven’t seen the news, MAG is a new online shooter coming in 2009 where up to 256 players wage battles as 8-person squads in a new and unique World. You can watch the press event here or download it from the PLAYSTATION Store.

Though it’s early to talk in depth about MAG, we can definitely quell some fears we’ve already heard from you about how MAG will need to compromise on gameplay to support its size. Well, it may be massive but it is an action shooter at its core. You can run around and shoot enemies, throw grenades, and drive vehicles just like any other shooter except with MAG you’ll do it with up to 256 players. The team at Zipper was one of the pioneers of online gaming on consoles with the SOCOM franchise and they’ve used this knowledge to create a brand new server architecture to make an original game like MAG possible.

Here’s a sneak peak from one of our internal play sessions:

MAG 1st look
We’re anxious to talk more about MAG and all its features as soon as we can. Until then, stay tuned to the PlayStation blog for more details and official news.

+ NyghtcrawleR on July 22nd, 2008 at 12:52 pm said:

For being an in game screenshot, that looks fantastic. Still want the air cleared about tps vs fps. Also cant wait for some in game gamplay. Thanks for the info and its appreciated.

On the forums, here is a thread dedicated to all the info we have so far:

+ dewmandew7 on July 22nd, 2008 at 12:54 pm said:

I’ll remain cautiously optimistic.

+ TouchyEd on July 22nd, 2008 at 12:55 pm said:

The screenshot is FAR TOO SMALL for any comparative value. Any game looks decent when you shrink it down to such a tiny size.

As for the name, drop the MAG thing. Just call it:

MASSIVE

+ Delta_FX on July 22nd, 2008 at 12:56 pm said:

Rade, why haven’t you guys posted the MAG trailer on the PS Store?

+ Delriach on July 22nd, 2008 at 12:57 pm said:

Wow. That looks really awesome.

+ skynidas on July 22nd, 2008 at 12:57 pm said:

WOW That image looks awesome

+ KazeEternal on July 22nd, 2008 at 12:57 pm said:

I would be more interested if the market wasn’t already flooded with FPS ><. This is the reason I stopped playing PC games and was the reason I sold my Xbox. Genre overload.

While I’m sure this will be a great game, and 256 players is no small feet (as a computer scientist I’m actually fascinated by how this might have been achieved). However the technical significance is dwarfed by the PS3′s current issues. One of which is TOO MANY FPS!

Something tells me this is a game that should have waited for Liepzig, GDC, or even next years E3. Let us desaturate a little after Kill Zone 2, Resistance 2, and just about every other shooter slated for this holiday season.

Anyway good work guys look forward to seeing how this game progresses, but i’m just totally burned out by the genre that game is in.

+ spawn47 on July 22nd, 2008 at 12:58 pm said:

Now i got a Question everyone wants to know , is M.A.G. First person shooter or Third Person Shooter , And wheres second person shooters i never heard of em?

+ Nynja on July 22nd, 2008 at 12:59 pm said:

So I suppose this means there is no SOCOM 4…

that blows….

+ KazeEternal on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:00 pm said:

Oh and a name change wouldn’t hurt btw. The name is really hard to force past the lips and doesn’t really draw attention to the game.

+ Nightmare142 on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:01 pm said:

@Rade-No way that’s in game, when i seen this at E3, and they said 256 players, i was thinking this was going to in 2D. I’m speechless. :)

+ FFObsessed on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:03 pm said:

The screen looks amazing. Very excited about this game, I could see myself getting very involved in it if the character progression is very deep.

Hopefully we’ll see a real-time trailer on PSN soon?

+ TouchyEd on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:05 pm said:

Nynja:

SOCOM:Confrontation is coming out for the PS3 in October.

+ Nynja on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:06 pm said:

256 players with vehicles? … Sounds more like LAG… A little overboard, I think. Sorry guys, this is one online title I’m not interested in.

Though I’m sure there are plenty of players who would love to join these matches. With that many players per game, how can you expect any form of teamwork or even acceptable communication.

+ the_icon on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:08 pm said:

@ 63-

U do know that, it would have never existed if it never worked out in the 1st place?

+ Grassroots on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:10 pm said:

Longtime fan of Zippers work, very curious though is the game a FPS or 3rd Person Shooter?

+ Jenovah on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:11 pm said:

I’m really happy when the blog is delivering exclusive content like this. I’m going to be all over this game when it releases. Will this follow the Warhawk model of having a Blu Ray and a PSN release?

+ RatchetFanatic on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:12 pm said:

IS THIS ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE HALF-ASSED MULTIPLAYER-ONLY GAMES OR WILL THERE BE A ROBUST SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN AS WELL? THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

+ U-Nooo on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:13 pm said:

One question is this games a TPS or FPS ?

+ MegaClank on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:13 pm said:

I’m so anticipating this game.

+ imapeiceofwood on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:14 pm said:

I got a quick question!!
Lots of people on internet forums are saying there will be a monthly subscription fee to play MAG is this true?

+ MegaClank on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:15 pm said:

I doubt there will be a subscription.

+ EricJensen on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:16 pm said:

How about a video of in-game action?

+ SPARDA on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:19 pm said:

ZIPPER will deliver…..NO DOUBT about it

Thanks for the update

SPARDA

+ stennex on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:20 pm said:

Yeah we need an in-game video footage to really wet out appetites. Please give one. Thank you. Also since this is going to have 256 or maybe more players online how do you guys plan on achieving a really good lag free environment. I know about computer networking but the PS3 is a bit different so what kinda hardware will you have in the back, is it like Warhawk?, and what about those who have very low bandwidth.

+ WHAT on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:21 pm said:

I like how Kratos is formed out of the smoke, on the right hand side.

+ Half_life000111 on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:23 pm said:

hmmm, I’d like to see a screen more suited to feel as if your playing……. a real *in sense* in-game screen shot

+ absolute on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:29 pm said:

Looks great for such a large game. I hope they can make it work. I just hope PS3 doesn’t become shooter haven like the stigma XBOX carries. MAG looks like a large scale SOCOM and (I thought) Resistance was already pushing the multiplayer scale. I do like the title MAG, though. I don’t see the problem with it.

+ ftwrthtx on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:29 pm said:

Is this like Warhawk but with alot more people?

+ Nynja on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:34 pm said:

TouchyEd:

I KNOW that, I know my SOCOM. SOCOM: Confrontation is NOT SOCOM 4. SOCOM 4 was suppose to have been under development at Zipper Inc that included offline gameplay along with Confrontation online support.

Looks like Zipper’s mystery title is not the rumored SOCOM 4 that many thought it was… that is what I was saying.

+ Raptors138 on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:37 pm said:

Will it be a first person, or third person shooter?

+ Herby on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:38 pm said:

Wow looks interesting can’t wait to see more.

+ Atoms on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:41 pm said:

Cant wait! Especially with the chain of command system. I will be a leader in no time.

+ Chaos_Bladez on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:41 pm said:

Wow that looks great.
I’m still confused on whether it is a third person shooter (my guess) or a first person shooter.

+ Heavenly_King on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:43 pm said:

Hey guys, can you at least post 2 HD in-game pics?? It would be great if you do :D

+ Atoms on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:43 pm said:

Cant wait! With the new chain of command system I will be a leader in no time.

+ Atoms on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:44 pm said:

Wow!

+ Makasu on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:48 pm said:

Wow indeed, however, please let us see something in high res.

+ NoSkillz187 on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:49 pm said:

Wow, this game sounds like Socom on steroids. Cant wait.

+ Atoms on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:51 pm said:

Show me gameplay!

+ Atoms on July 22nd, 2008 at 1:56 pm said:

Help!!!!!!!

+ Sharmon Adams on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:02 pm said:

Great looking game!

+ TouchyEd on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:03 pm said:

Nynja:

If you’re not interested in this game, why keep posting?

Off you go now.

+ THE_TERRORIZER on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:03 pm said:

Wow that looks amazing…..just PLEASE do not keep holding this one off……

Wouldnt wanna be those dudes in the parachutes…..look, one guy on the ground has a freaking rocket launcher pointed at them…..i guess this is the beginning of MAG rocket n00bs

+ Aerfox on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:03 pm said:

Game looks nice, and an awesome screenshot. Nice to see that Zipper is working on this.

+ Globox82 on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:04 pm said:

First of all MAG IS NOT STUPID NAME, I LIKE IT. Why so many hate it? I really hope you guys dont put just another Soccom name on this game.
2. This is Zipper folks, they delivered best on line experience on PS2, so why would they fail us now? I hate how journalist (1UP Garnett) pretend to know better than developers themselves, i mean Zipper guys are not born yesterday.
3. Rade, jesi li Srbin? U svakom slucaju svaka cast!

+ KeyWii on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:07 pm said:

Hey dudes! This looks great. Can’t wait to play. But I have a couple questions hopefully someone can answer.

So will this game be entirely 3rd person? Or will it be like Metal Gear Solid/Rainbow Six where it mixes first person and 3rd person?

Also: will this game be free to play online?

+ Atoms on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:07 pm said:

Go Sony!

+ snipeshot14 on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:08 pm said:

looks to be great graphics. Please show us more and a bigger image.

+ harlemzkid on July 22nd, 2008 at 2:08 pm said:

its cool i hope to see some gameplay action =]