Tearaway Unfolded

Jul 24

1942: Joint Strike coming to PSN today (and a Bionic Commando: Rearmed update!)

John Diamonon's Avatar Posted by John Diamonon on Jul 24, 2008 // Product Marketing Manager, Capcom

What is up my PS brethren? This is John D from Capcom and I’ve got some exciting news again.

1942: Joint Strike is now available on the PLAYSTATION Store for only $9.99! Rejoin the battle with an all new mission featuring arcade style action and stunning HD visuals. This time, you can recruit a wing man online to take on waves of enemy aircraft and engage in huge boss battles. Here’s a trailer to get you hyped:

We’re going to hold a 1942 contest next week at www.capcom-unity.com, so start training! Some of the prizes include exclusive apparel featuring this vintage-style, nose art:

1942 Cammy

Also, here’s Bionic Commando: Rearmed update #2 from the Producer Supreme himself, Ben Judd:

So welcome to our second great installment of the Bionic Commando Rearmed blog. First off, let me clarify a couple of things: The “cool secret” that we will be mentioning is not trophies although we have seen that a majority of you are very excited about trophies and we are seriously looking into how they can be implemented.

Actually, the Medal system in the game was intentionally created so that we could easily back-tag save data so that people who buy the game when it is released and “unlock” medals, will have the trophies associated with those medals unlocked from the start. Yeah, yeah, this is probably just sneaky Producer double-speak but we wanted to set the game up so that those of you who purchase the game on launch day will make sure their hard gaming hours do not go to waste. I can say that trophies will not be available at launch but we are seeing how quickly we can get them out after launch.

Over at the official Bionic Commando community site (www.bioniccommando.com) we are occasionally running a series of blog posts that talk about “Interesting Things You Probably Didn’t Know About BCR” and I would like to mention another point in the game: Interesting Things You Probably Didn’t Know About BCR #2: Although the stages are about 95% faithful to the original, some special sections have been added on to the original stages. If you are a veteran to the series and can remember how the original levels are laid out, then you could probably guess where some of the secret items are hidden based solely on differences in level design. Actually, although the game is technically being billed as an homage to the original game, there are 4 brand-spanking new stages that never appeared in the original game. I won’t spoil it for you, but let’s just say that there are going to be quite a few surprises anyone familiar with the original game.

The Leader The megalomaniacal fascist held by the Imperials to be an ideological demagogue, The Leader died during the 20th century, many decades before the formation of the FSA. However, an ideology does not die so easily. in 21st century Generalissimo Killt, the leader of the Imperials, sought to bring back not just The Leader’s ideology, but to bring The Leader himself back from the dead. Having stolen the long-lost plans for Project Albatross that were created nearly a century before But despite being resurrected by the Imperials for the sole purpose of activating the Albatross, will The Leader, one of history’s most evil men, be content to be a pawn in Killt’s plans? The resurrection process has already begun…

Vector Cannon The Vector Cannon is an ingenious weapon used to pick off enemies in those hard-to-reach areas. The Vector Cannon fires a laser beam that bounces off most surfaces, increasing in intensity with every bounce. The unpredictable weapon is able to tackle enemies who have taken the higher ground, making it especially suitable for soldiers who have trouble jumping.
medal 2

Medal #2: The Emperor’s New Clothes The modern commando can’t get by on green jumpsuits and sneakers alone. Today’s snappily-dressed commando has three essentials that not only impress the ladies, they also stop bullets! The Shin Guards, the Bulletproof Vest and the Helmet are the fashion to be seen in in the battlefield, and if you find all three, The Emperor’s New Clothes medal is yours.
We’ll be updating you more in the future. Keep checking back at this space. Ben

John D again. I’m going to be at ComicCon this week so, if I don’t get to your answers right away, I’m probably in no condition to. LOL. You know me by now, I’ll get around to it soon enough. Talk to you again next week PS faithful. Yadadamean?

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Joe on July 25th, 2008 at 10:19 am said:

Thanks for the link John Diamonon. I really am going to have to think on which one to pick. All most all of them are games I listed.

+ TheHater on July 25th, 2008 at 10:20 am said:

@John Diamonon
“You really can’t take this whole multi-platform stratgy that 90% of companies adopt personal. It really isn’t. Having said that, there will be titles that are going to be exclusive to each platform from time to time.”

You guys are treating the Playstation 3 owners like crap. You guys release Okomi on the Wii, how much did that flop?

Here is a list of exclusive on the Wii from you guys. Some has been release, while others are still in production.
Resident Evil Zero
# We Love Golf!

Exclusive for the Xbox 360
# Dead Rising
# Lost Planet: Colonies

Exclusive For the PS3
yeah, none.

I prove my point. You guys got 10 exclusive on the wii, 2 on the xbox 360 and zero on the ps3

+ Snap on July 25th, 2008 at 10:23 am said:

I was already buying this game because of the remote play support but adding trophies is a SLAM DUNK! Good job, way to go Capcom!

+ Snap on July 25th, 2008 at 10:23 am said:

This refers to BC: Rearmed… btw ^^

+ Joe on July 25th, 2008 at 10:26 am said:

After reading your comments you posted to different people you seem like a pretty cool guy. I think that is great to see a dev taking the time out to say hi and what not.

John Diamonon's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on July 28th, 2008 at 6:34 pm said:

We enjoy getting all your feedback. It\’s why games like BCR, SFHD, MM9 and others get created. Fan service FTW!

+ Heavenly_King on July 25th, 2008 at 10:42 am said:

Hey guys why dont you make an HD port of Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles for the PS3?? I think it would be great with the Guncon :D

+ ps360 on July 25th, 2008 at 11:04 am said:

I bought 1942JS last night.
After 3 mins of oohs and ahhhs on the graphics, I find the game to be bleh.

The game is short, but for $10 it was expected. That is not my gripe.

This “re-make” or whatever it’s called is rather… “annoying”.
Whoever came up with the animation sequence between menus, you are FIRED!
It’s slow and pointless. Perhaps it was done so players can’t cheat using a slow motion controller? Surely, there are better ways to accomplish that.

The other annoying thing to me are the powerups. Maybe I am not understanding the game’s mechanics for giving powerups, but I rarely see a powerup or weapon upgrade except for maybe the first few seconds at the beginning of a level. So most of the time, I was stuck with one type of weapon for the entire level. A little more chances to try out different ways to blow things up would’ve been more fun.

And yet another annoying thing are the dead zones around the premimeter of the play area where your plane can not reach. Not sure if its because I am playing on 1080p mode or not. But it annoys me that I can’t pick up medals that have popped up near the edge of the screen. If I see it, I should be able to get to it. Even if it means I have to kamikaze thru a boss.

Lastly, there’s no option to map your own buttons. I have my own preference to use Square for my main pea shooter, and Circle for the ultimate super duper can’t touch me bomb. Heck, there are 4 trigger-like buttons on my controller, but they do nothing. Also, no rumble? I didn’t feel anything if it was there…

I recently picked up Capcom Classics Collection: Remixed for the PSP at my local Target’s bargain bin. And sadly I have to say, I enjoyed 1941 on that more than 1942JS. :(

I don’t regret paying $10.49 for the game. Here’s to hoping there will be future (free) updates to make the game worth twice that amount.

+ victorm on July 25th, 2008 at 11:10 am said:

COMMON WHEN IS BIONIC COMANDO REARMED COMING OUT? please sony give us a release date :), is it next week?

+ Captain Fury on July 25th, 2008 at 12:27 pm said:

hey John…that SF IV theme was really good!

who made it?

John Diamonon's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on July 25th, 2008 at 1:16 pm said:

One of the talented artist of the game.

+ davivman on July 25th, 2008 at 12:30 pm said:

I can’t wait to download this game. It reminds me of one of my favorite shareware games of all time – Raptor: Call of the Shadows.

+ leelemon on July 25th, 2008 at 12:34 pm said:

Is anyone having saving issues? Each time I load the game it asks for me to create a new profile because none are saved…. Plus has anyone gotten the voice chat to work online?

+ sarshelYam on July 25th, 2008 at 12:50 pm said:

Ran into one of the Backbone boys doing my rounds in Emeryville (a few times actually) and I think he was remarkably surprised to hear that both Wolf of the Battlefied AND 1942 were on my list of most anticipated PSN titles. Glad they didn’t disappoint…truly a love letter to fans of the series (both).

Glad to see Ben Judd and his team are delivering an equally masterful experience with Bionic Commando: Rearmed…though the wait is painful.

Oh and for the record, Trophies do NOT sway my purchase. I keep buying games to have fun, pissing contents or otherwise!

+ Kedaro on July 25th, 2008 at 12:51 pm said:

@63 cywulf21

um… no

and learn how to spell wolf, it just looks more genuine, and proper spelled correctly.

+ Aerfox on July 25th, 2008 at 11:51 am said:

I’ll look into purchasing this title.

+ ps360 on July 25th, 2008 at 12:06 pm said:

“Exclusives” are overrated.
Wanting to have a game, that can run on anything to begin with, to only exist on the console that I own is rather… selfish.

It’s much more satisfying to say, “This game can only run on my console because the others do not have the power!” Not because, some suit and tie secured a contract for exclusiveness.

The whole Final Fantasy thing did at first, made me feel “betrayed”, for lack of a better word. But if you think about it… The PS3 is undeniably more advanced than the XB360, and if a game that was originally designed for the PS3 can so easily be ported to an inferior system, that game isn’t all that spectacular imo. Heck, if you lower the rez and dumb down some other graphics stuff, you will have a PS2 game. Don’t get me wrong, I will still buy it for my PS3, cause I am a FF Fan.

So Capcom… I challenge you to make a game that only the PS3 has the power to run it.

+ DG on July 25th, 2008 at 12:19 pm said:

I love what you guys at Capcom are doing. Keep up the good work.

John Diamonon's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on July 25th, 2008 at 1:17 pm said:

Thanks DG!

+ Kedaro on July 25th, 2008 at 12:54 pm said:

@65 TheHater

Yea I know all that, I’m excited to find out what the ps3 exclusive will be, especially if it’s not just Kingdom Hearts 3.

+ Kedaro on July 25th, 2008 at 12:57 pm said:

@88 ps360

I completely, and wholeheartedly agree with you there, Capcom, heck every major company should make at least one serious exclusive for ps3 that utilizes it’s undeniably complex infrastructure.

+ se7enthsign-psn on July 25th, 2008 at 1:25 pm said:

Hey, John. On that list at Gamespot, I noticed that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was listed. I thought that since Capcom no longer has that license that they couldn’t use the Marvel Characters anymore. Does that include porting an existing game, or does it just mean we won’t see Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for a while?

Also, so far, Capcom has done the best job in supporting PSN as far as third party companies go. I particularly like the fact that you guys are bringing back some of the classic games like Commando, 1942, Street Fighter, and Mega Man. Are there plans for any future titles like, maybe, Ghouls and Ghosts? And IF you guys do revive that series, PLEASE don’t make the game THAT damn hard, and DON’T make us play through it TWICE!! Ghosts and Goblins led to a lot of broken NES controllers!

+ se7enthsign-psn on July 25th, 2008 at 1:26 pm said:

…oh and Dead Rising for PS3!

+ erico316 on July 25th, 2008 at 1:38 pm said:

@john on resident evil 5 it looks great but i plan on buying this one cps3 cause i own all the resident evil game on a ps platform.is my question is john can u confirm that the march release date that xbox 360 is getting is the same day and date that the ps3 one is coming out?

+ MidnightBlues on July 25th, 2008 at 2:35 pm said:

Kedaro……who the [DELETED] do you think you are? correcting people on their use of grammer and spelling….get a life u loser….who the [DELETED] are you? Are you a [DELETED] English teacher or what? or do u just have a stick wedged up your [DELETED]?

I love capcom…lately I hate thier games though…sorry guys.

+ Kedaro on July 25th, 2008 at 2:58 pm said:

… pffft LOLZ0rZ!?!

I’m not even going to justify your statement with a combatant response, it lacks conviction, and this is hardly the place to be fighting, does this look like the xbox blog to you? Naw we be grown ups here.
(see my gramR’ is not perfect, but I do it on purpose) that’s what ‘ <– this is for.

+ ken.vs.ryu on July 25th, 2008 at 3:00 pm said:

Please keep scrollers coming! Thanks!

+ jmr201 on July 25th, 2008 at 3:05 pm said:

+ Kedaro on July 25th, 2008 at 3:05 pm said:

@102 ken.vs.ryu

+ Kedaro on July 25th, 2008 at 3:06 pm said:

@102 ken.vs.ryu

like side scrollers, top down, etc?

if that’s what you meant I agree, we need more oldschool remakes, and whatnot.

+ B1ack_Mage on July 25th, 2008 at 3:44 pm said:

Bionic Commando looks amazing! I’m really glad capcom is bringing a lot of original games to PSN. But could we start getting some PS1 games on the service from capcom? I’d really love the mega man legends games, Resident Evil games, and Dino crisis games on the PSN so I wouldn’t have to get them on Ebay. Thanks

John Diamonon's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on July 28th, 2008 at 6:07 pm said:

Capcom PSone classics? Hmm. I think it\’s a great idea. I\’ll pass the info along.

+ erico316 on July 25th, 2008 at 3:13 pm said:

@the hater i dont see how u can forgive s- they didnt it to us worst. do u really think ffvs13 wont be going to the 360 then u wrong.they said the same thing about ff13.

+ TheHater on July 25th, 2008 at 3:49 pm said:

Are we not still getting Final Fantasy XIII? SE didn’t just cancel the PS3 version and just move on to the xbox 360 version. And yes, I do think Final Fantasy VS XIII will remain a playstation 3 exclusive.

What did capcom did with Monster Hunter 3? They cancel Monster Hunter 3 on the ps3. The claim that they ps3 couldn’t do online betas, when playstation owners started to complain about the xbox 360 owners getting Street Fighter 2 online beta. The delay the PS3 version of Devil May Cry 4 2 months because the Xbox 360 version was finish. They stated that they are going multi-platform, but the since then release several exclusive for the Wii, and xbox 360.

+ erico316 on July 25th, 2008 at 4:43 pm said:

@thehater if i remember correctly when they said they was going muit platform they havent made a 360 exclusive.they did bring out lost planet conies edition but its wasn’t a new game it the same old one just release with added context for the online only.this whole let hate capcom thing a lot of ps fans had adapt is wrong .dmc4 wasn’t a big game to tell the truth its was a disappointment to me because it was easier then the last 3.

@john what with dmc listing on capcom site?and is resident evil 5 being release same day and date of the 360 version?

+ TheHater on July 25th, 2008 at 5:59 pm said:

are those contents not exclusive to the xbox 360? The release exclusive games to the Nintendo Wii.
If you are a Monster Hunter Fan, then you will understand where this hate is coming from

+ Asshandler2 on July 25th, 2008 at 6:06 pm said:

I encountered a nasty glitch in 1942 just now online with my friend.

All of a sudden, the entire screen went black, and all I could see were the bullets flying across a black screen, along with our health and ammo bars. I could still shoot the enemies if my shots happened to hit them, but I couldn;t see them or the level itself at all.

Then all of a sudden, the level would come flying into view as if I had been flying over a chasm and had just reached land, but at an accelerated speed, almost as if I was catchign up with the current spot we were at.

It repeated this process multiple times until I died from being unable to defend myself. I did however see the boss when we got to him, minus the level around him of course, he was just floating in the balck abyss.

My friend had no problems at all while this was happening.

Oh, and once I died, and I was watching him finish the boss off, everything woud freeze onscreen, and go all kaleidoscope-like as it moved across the screen > freeze > move some more > freeze, etc.

It was like watching a slinky on my screen.

Nasty glitch this is.

John Diamonon's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on July 28th, 2008 at 6:08 pm said:

That was trippy.

+ erico316 on July 25th, 2008 at 6:12 pm said:

@thehater i love the monster hunter game i do under that it was a psp game not a ds.I don’t understand why they did it but it do believe capcom should make it for the psp monster hunter 3.john please make monster hunter 3for psp.

+ Asshandler2 on July 25th, 2008 at 6:18 pm said:

Here’s the glitch.

This vid is from the 360 version, I’m laying the PSN version.

John Diamonon's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on July 28th, 2008 at 6:09 pm said:

Anyone else get this? Looked kinda cool though.

+ TheHater on July 25th, 2008 at 6:44 pm said:

No the should make it for the PS3. Next gen graphic an a killer online

+ erico316 on July 25th, 2008 at 9:09 pm said:

@the hater i would love to see a monster hunter game on ps3 at some point but there is no need for it now .if sony could pull up fall of man on psp and have that kind of graphic i saw we can get a huge upgrade to monster hunter on the psp and its would not cost them alot of money like it would as a ps3 game.
@john i know i ask alot of qustion but this one is aim at monster hunter .will we see monster hunter 2g coming stateside? i would buy it fast.

John Diamonon's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on July 26th, 2008 at 2:27 am said:

As big as MH is in Japam, we want it to big in the US as well.

+ dojikyo on July 26th, 2008 at 2:08 am said:

Once again if you want to hate on some corporation, hate on Sony. The user base is simply too small for any major exclusives and since Sony is uninterested/incapable of providing the proper incentives it isn’t going to get any exclusives outside of a SCEWW developed games and games they managed to get publishing rights because Microsoft/Nintendo passed on or didn’t notice the game in time.

Outside of Lost Planet: Colonies, Capcom has given about as much to the PS3 as any 3rd party. SquareEnix for example will have published 2 360 exclusive rpgs and a timed exclusive LR before the multi-plat FF13 hits.

+ PSPsGTghOost on July 28th, 2008 at 10:08 pm said:

Any trophy support?

+ shonrbel on July 28th, 2008 at 11:34 pm said:

Thank you John for answering me, apparently there were a problem to release the beta in the different store (Cost).
I hope Capcom will release a lot of game for.
Trophy support is planned for BC:R :), I’m thinking about taking it now
See you

+ HairyToeKnuckles on July 29th, 2008 at 11:36 am said:

I want 1942 badly! I used to play it alot as a younger version of me.

However, until trophies go into it, I will pass. This type of game is made for trophies. It begs and screams for it. I am glad to hear that you all are going to implement them later, though.

Until then…

+ Thetruefiziks on July 29th, 2008 at 12:08 pm said:

I want to see final fantasy VII avatars, also I would like to see more basic things, animals, symbols, artwork. etc.

+ Thetruefiziks on July 29th, 2008 at 12:22 pm said:

also, John, avatars for all your released games

+ skynidas on July 29th, 2008 at 12:56 pm said:

+ erico316 on July 29th, 2008 at 4:16 pm said:

i do want some of the capcom ps1 classics on the psn but what would make classic games great would be trophy support.i don’t know if its possible on ps1 games so it not a necessary.if u can let me know if it possible to have a ps1 classic game with trophy i would re buy all the resident evils even without trophy support i love the games.

+ eihtokamok on July 29th, 2008 at 6:01 pm said:

i’m typically reluctant to accept anything as being factual if it isn’t posted here or on the bionic site, but this seems to have an air of officiality. can anyone confirm or deny the reamrmed release date?

+ eihtokamok on July 29th, 2008 at 6:03 pm said:

sorry for the double post… apparently i’m awaiting moderation.

+ Mindfuct on August 8th, 2008 at 7:47 pm said:

The game rock’s and the veela with braids can fly me anywhere she wants.

+ SteelFidel on August 13th, 2008 at 2:35 am said:

When will this game be available in the European PSStore??

+ TheHater on July 26th, 2008 at 7:44 am said:

@John Diamonon
“As big as MH is in Japam, we want it to big in the US as well”
And you think release Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii will help? Don’t kid yourself. I had two wii, and sold them. It fun to play for a while, but then you get bored of it.

Last I check, this article is about Capcom. If SE post a blog on their, the will also get it from me. But this is only about Capcom.
Isn’t Dead Rising exclusive on the Xbox 360? Isn’t a new Dead Rising coming exclusive for the Wii?
I posted a list of exclusive from Capcom, and the Wii have 11 exclusives, and the xbox 360 have 2. How much does the ps3 have? ZERO

John Diamonon's Avatar

+ John Diamonon on July 26th, 2008 at 9:07 am said:

Hey Hater, PS3 will have something, be patient. And we hear your concerns, trust me. No one listens to the fans as much as Capcom. That\’s why we\’re here on the boards, interacting with you and giving you a sounding board. But really, sometimes the more you spread the hate, the more people may tend to dismiss your concerns as whining.

PAGE 1 2 3