PS4 - Destiny

PixelJunk Eden: Oh Glorious Gardens…and Did We Mention Trophies?

Deborah Mars's Avatar + Posted by Deborah Mars on Jul 30, 2008 // Managing Producer, SCEA Santa Monica Studio

Hey everyone,

Deborah Mars here again. We’re so excited to be releasing PixelJunk Eden tomorrow (Thursday, July 31) on the PlayStation Network. Dylan Cuthbert and his team at Q-Games in collaboration with Baiyon, a Kyoto-based multimedia artist and DJ, have really outdone themselves here.

PixelJunk Eden

Now I know I’m biased with all my PixelJunk love, but seriously…this is one outstanding, addictive, gorgeous, amazing game. So I just wanted to take a moment here and mention some of the really cool “firsts” that the team has achieved with this title, and highlight some of the things that we really love about it.

1. Trophies

This is the very first game to launch with trophies. And just so you know what to be gunning for when you play, here is a complete list:

BRONZE

• Fifteen Crystals – Get fifteen crystals in a single jump
  • Zero Wasted Pollen – Open all seeds in a garden without missing any pollen
  • Three Play Ping Pong – In 3p mode, trapeze jump between two swinging Grimps

SILVER

• All Spectra Found – Get all the Spectra in all gardens

2. YouTube video upload support

How cool is this? It’s a great feature that allows you to capture up to 10 minutes of video footage of your Eden gameplay and then either save it to your XMB or upload to YouTube and share with your friends and the world. So hey, pulled a sweet co-op combo with your friends that you want to show off? Having trouble finding that last Spectra in garden 8? Now you’ve got the proof to back up your bragging rights…or at least accept the fact that you might need just a little bit of – ahem – help. :)

3. PSP Remote Play

OK so this isn’t a first. But it’s worth pointing out anyway so you can take PixelJunk Eden with you wherever you & your PSP go.

4. Accolades

Great news: We’ve just learned that PJ Eden won a Cheat Code Central award for “Best Puzzle / Arcade Game of E3 2008.” We’re really pleased with all positive response on the title, and thank you all for your support. If you haven’t played some of the other titles in the PixelJunk series, be sure to check out Q-Games’ other titles, PixelJunk Racers and PixelJunk Monsters + Encore.

5. Music & Art

We’re really loving the music and visuals that Baiyon created for PixelJunk Eden. You know the music is good when you can listen to it over and over and over again and it is still kicking. There’s more than 100 minutes of music in the game total, and be sure to stay tuned for an upcoming interview right here on this blog with Baiyon and PJE’s game director “Tomi” (Tominaga Shouichi).

6. Druck der Farben

Hands down, my favorite garden.

7. Cannons, teleports, gravity changing, oh my.

Enough said.

8. Top 5 Things Said While Playing Eden

Dylan Cuthbert sent us a link yesterday to a story on TripleTags.com about the top 5 things said while playing Eden. Matt Morton, Associate Producer on Eden, and I have our own here while playing co-op, so we’ll leave you with this list as parting thoughts

– “Seeding!” [And yes, I know I’ve been ridiculed for this one.]

– “Get off me!”

– “Where did you go?”

– “Combo. Combo! Combo!!”

– “Get on the plant. Get on the plant!”

PixelJunk Eden

Always spreading the PixelJunk love,
Deb

PAGE 1 2 3 6

+ burgerking579 on July 30th, 2008 at 5:44 pm said:

This will be a great game. How much does it cost?

Deborah Mars's Avatar

+ Deborah Mars on July 30th, 2008 at 6:25 pm said:

Sorry for leaving that critical piece of info out. My bad. It will cost $9.99.

+ Codeman420 on July 30th, 2008 at 5:45 pm said:

Wheres Life with Playstation. o and game looks awesome.

+ TheInfectedBy590 on July 30th, 2008 at 5:47 pm said:

Awesome! Will it be available at 0:00? I can’t wait to get it!
Also… no Gold?

+ PSguy17 on July 30th, 2008 at 5:55 pm said:

First day buy for me! Can’t wait to show off my seriouz skillz on youtube :D

+ Frazz on July 30th, 2008 at 5:55 pm said:

Thanks for the trophy support and for makeing a game that is fresh and fun to play.I hope this game sells well so we see more great games from your company.

Is their an ETA on a monsters trophy patch?

+ spyker3292 on July 30th, 2008 at 5:55 pm said:

Quick question!

Will we be able to record footage while playing via remote play?

Thanks!

+ ftwrthtx on July 30th, 2008 at 5:56 pm said:

If this is a $4.99 game, I’m all over it!

Thanks for the info!

+ Ghostm on July 30th, 2008 at 5:58 pm said:

This is great news. I’m happy to hear about something with Trophy support. I do have some questions though. I just looked at the Trophy list and I was just curious since there wasn’t a gold one.

Are these all the Trophies for the entire game?

Will you guys release add-ons with some other Trophies? That’s one thing I hated about SSDHD. The fact that you “needed” to buy an add-on to get 100% trophies.

Can we play online 3P co-op? Since one of the Bronze Trophies needs 3 players to achieve. That would suck since I don’t have 3 controllers. Which I don’t need.

+ cabrito on July 30th, 2008 at 6:00 pm said:

I’m so getting this game!

I played the Demo a little and it really is cool.

Are you guys at Q-Games already working on another title? Can you share a little about what’s to come?

Cheers and thanks for the innovative PixelJunk games.

+ Thetruefiziks on July 30th, 2008 at 6:00 pm said:

when you grab seeds in a garden and fail, do you have to open them all again?

+ Thetruefiziks on July 30th, 2008 at 6:01 pm said:

zero wasted pollen should be gold

+ Thetruefiziks on July 30th, 2008 at 6:02 pm said:

can’t wait though, too bad I don’t get paid til friday, oh well – still not done with the demo levels

+ FritoZ on July 30th, 2008 at 6:04 pm said:

I really don’t care about trophy’s for this game, as i know i will get them all through sheer immersion in the world of “Eden”

My vote for Game of the Year, and it hasn’t even came out yet!

Seriously, my girlfriend and I loved the demo so much we have deleted the save data after the demo locks us out like 20 times now…

2 player co-op is so much fun!

OH YEAH!!!

*****PLEASE make the soundtrack available like you did for PJMonsters!*******

I actually still listen to that soundtrack all the time when i play High Velocity Bowling!

Looking forward to making my garden grow tomorrow!~

…now to find my hash browns and seaweed ala Jonathan Mak (Everyday Shooter) and I’ll be ready for EDEN!

+ EvoAnubis on July 30th, 2008 at 6:05 pm said:

Made out of 100% all natural win.

Can’t wait to play this tomorrow . . . I keep beating the demo, deleting my gamesave, and starting over. The closer to NOW this update could be available, the better.

+ Thetruefiziks on July 30th, 2008 at 6:07 pm said:

i can add one thing to the “5 things most said while playing” list

“noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo”

+ PSPsGTghOost on July 30th, 2008 at 6:07 pm said:

The gaming developer community should learn from you guys! Good job in supporting all that the PS3 functionality offers.

*Where is my PSP GT game?

+ EvoAnubis on July 30th, 2008 at 6:09 pm said:

BTW, Deb, do me a small favor.

Beat Dylan with the object of your choice until he gives you a date during which I will have my update to PJ Monsters that gives me Trophies and custom soundtracks, then make a post here and let me know what that date is.

There’s cake in it for you!

Deborah Mars's Avatar

+ Deborah Mars on July 30th, 2008 at 6:43 pm said:

Beat Dylan? Cmon now, don\’t you know by now that I\’m all about the PixelJunk love? Plus, he\’s bigger than I am. Suffice it to say, we\’re as eager as you are.

+ XxBigP123xX on July 30th, 2008 at 6:10 pm said:

What’s the price? Please say $7.99 or I’ll have to wait another week :(

And why no custom soundtrack support?

+ EvoAnubis on July 30th, 2008 at 6:11 pm said:

“i can add one thing to the “5 things most said while playing” list
“noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo”

I second that!

+ W0lfMAN21 on July 30th, 2008 at 6:12 pm said:

Sounds amazing
Definatly first day buy for me.

Just one question. How limited will Remote Play be, if limited at all?

for example:
Can you upload videos via Remote Play?
Can you still earn trophies via Remote Play?

thanks

Deborah Mars's Avatar

+ Matt Morton on July 31st, 2008 at 2:42 pm said:

You will be able to do the Video Recording and earn trophies via Remote Play, yes.

+ FritoZ on July 30th, 2008 at 6:12 pm said:

FritoZ’ Top 3 Things Said While Playing Eden:

1)”crap, my silk broke!”

2)”hey, wait for me!”

as my girlfriend keeps swinging higher and higher, totally forgetting we are playing co-op. darn that seaweed.

3) “AH! I missed it!”

timing is crucial! i really like the ebb and flow of the universe in Eden. kinda like it’s underwater, or the wind is blowing it just so..

4)Super OOch!

lol, this is from PAIN, which we just got for $4.99 on sale, but it’s just fun to say!

keep up the great work, PixelPeoples!

+ Aaron on July 30th, 2008 at 6:13 pm said:

Thanks for the update Deborah! I will be buying this game day one.

Any news on trophies for PJM? :D ;)

+ AwRy108 on July 30th, 2008 at 6:14 pm said:

Can’t wait, especially b/c of the Trophy Support!

+ Clinton514 on July 30th, 2008 at 6:14 pm said:

10 mins. of Youtube upload. That’s all good!

ps. Those look like some really challenging trophies. Well at least to me. :lol:

+ TheHater on July 30th, 2008 at 6:14 pm said:

wait, there isn’t any Gold Trophies? Why not?

+ Morphine16 on July 30th, 2008 at 6:15 pm said:

First day buy from me :)

+ uziari on July 30th, 2008 at 6:16 pm said:

the 10 minute trophy won’t be too hard. i cleared all 5 spectra in garden #1 on my first playthrough within that time.

i’m guessing we’re gonna have to uninstall the demo for the final release, but should we delete the save data as well? i’m guessing yes.

+ TheHakku on July 30th, 2008 at 6:17 pm said:

No gold trophies? Only one silver? Wow. I guess this really is a small scale game! :D

Unless, of course, you aren’t going to release all the trophies, some possibly being hidden.

+ GGCAN on July 30th, 2008 at 6:19 pm said:

Glad the full game is coming out soon.

I downloaded the demo the first day it was out and the game really does get addicting.

Thanks for the post and adding the trophies to this game.

+ EvoAnubis on July 30th, 2008 at 6:19 pm said:

One last thing:

Combo Ten – Pollen Prowler combo x 10
Combo Fifteen – Pollen Prowler combo x 15
The Hundred Thousander – Get 100,000 pollen in one garden

I already did those.

+ Thetruefiziks on July 30th, 2008 at 6:21 pm said:

i doubt theyd make it our responsibility to delete the demo save to make the full game work, most likely you can buy the game through the “full game” option in the demo

+ Delriach on July 30th, 2008 at 6:21 pm said:

:) PJE is awesome.

+ erico316 on July 30th, 2008 at 6:23 pm said:

i love the demo i be getting it this friday.also can u let us know for sure do delete the save data from the demo to get the trophy or will we get retro active trophies.

+ Dark_Vincent on July 30th, 2008 at 6:23 pm said:

Me and all my buddies irl fell in love with PJE instantly when we played the demo over here. We are having a lot of fun playing co-op and already anticipating the full game.

Oh and the musics are amazing!! I’m a clubber myself so this kind of music fits greatly for my gaming time ;)

+ Thetruefiziks on July 30th, 2008 at 6:26 pm said:

$9.99 is pretty good for this game with so much stuff included

+ Stoffinator on July 30th, 2008 at 6:27 pm said:

Looks like another classic for the PSN.

+ XxBigP123xX on July 30th, 2008 at 6:27 pm said:

$9.99?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

+ OmegaArchetype on July 30th, 2008 at 6:28 pm said:

I’m getting this tomorrow. I loved the demo and can’t wait to play the entire game.

It’s so much fun just to jump around with that little dude. Glad there’s trophy support, only wish there was custom soundtrack support, but that’s okay I suppose.

+ MegaClank on July 30th, 2008 at 6:29 pm said:

If only my PS3 wasn’t being shipped tomorrow. =( I’ll pick this up though!

+ JordanBlack68 on July 30th, 2008 at 6:29 pm said:

Will it be released in Europe too, or is it typical SCEE ****ing us again?

Deborah Mars's Avatar

+ Deborah Mars on July 30th, 2008 at 6:47 pm said:

Absolutely. It will be on the PS Store Thursday, July 31 in N. America, Europe and Japan.

+ papertiger201 on July 30th, 2008 at 6:31 pm said:

If you look in your saved data, you’ll notice the data specifically states “PixelJunk Eden – Demo”.

This would seem to me it’s specifically tied to the demo, and that the full game and demo can coexist without any issues.

+ TTP on July 30th, 2008 at 6:33 pm said:

Can’t wait.

By the way: TROPHIES IN PJ MONSTERS (please)

@40 Yep. Europe will get it tomorrow as well.

+ W0lfMAN21 on July 30th, 2008 at 6:35 pm said:

Pixel Junk Eden Marathon tonight.
So i can get better at this game.

(idk why i suck)
also, must.. be.. trophy.. HOARD!!

+ FritoZ on July 30th, 2008 at 6:35 pm said:

i just deleted the demo save data so i could then play some more on the demo after it locks you out.hehehe the little taste wasn’t enough!

+ DryvBy on July 30th, 2008 at 6:47 pm said:

I’m buying the game first thing when I get off of work, but I do have a question: any idea when we can expect other PixelJunk games to receive a Trophy patch? Honestly, those games will sell like hot cakes with the patches (check Super Star Dust HD). But as a huge supporter of the best PSN title, Monsters, I want to play through it again with my brother, trying to unlock nifty things for our PlayStation Home trophy room.

+ SevenFactors on July 30th, 2008 at 6:51 pm said:

Finally the day is near ^_^ I have been waiting for this game for the longest, or so it seems.

The PixelJunk game series is kind of like that ideal/feeling/urge that have driven many people/societies to stand up for themselves, fight for their rights [to party] thus declaring/becoming independent. To me the PixelJunk game series is that fresh & revolutionary :)

Anyways, would you guys mind telling us if there is going to be any gold trophies?

+ Devils1stBorn on July 30th, 2008 at 6:53 pm said:

This is what I can’t stand. People praising a game that is just “ok” while making it sound like the greatest thing to hit the market. When you do this, it allows developers to be content with sub-par expectations and doesn’t allow for better products. I wouldn’t invest more than $1 for this game…

Big deal it has trophies…that’s cool…I like trophies…but it’s not the reason why I’m going to play the game…

Deborah Mars's Avatar

+ dcuthbert on July 30th, 2008 at 7:47 pm said:

Hi there,

It\’s a shame you feel that way, but we can\’t make games that appeal to absolutely everyone. (although we do try)

The trophies in this game are just the icing on the cake – the game is a full 15-20 hours plus of gameplay and packed full of exciting and original ideas.

+ Sancho45 on July 30th, 2008 at 6:54 pm said:

Speaking of trophies… how bout those trophies we’re supposed to be nagging about for PJM???? We definately need them… Please deb…. trophies for Pixel Junk Monsters…

+ irk_t_great on July 30th, 2008 at 6:54 pm said:

Any word on when those PixelJunk Monsters trophies are coming now that Eden is coming out?

+ jqtaxpayer on July 30th, 2008 at 6:56 pm said:

Remote Play doubles the value of every game it’s available for… thanks for including it, I’ll definitely be picking this up.

PAGE 1 2 3 6