Deborah Mars here again. We’re so excited to be releasing PixelJunk Eden tomorrow (Thursday, July 31) on the PlayStation Network. Dylan Cuthbert and his team at Q-Games in collaboration with Baiyon, a Kyoto-based multimedia artist and DJ, have really outdone themselves here.
Now I know I’m biased with all my PixelJunk love, but seriously…this is one outstanding, addictive, gorgeous, amazing game. So I just wanted to take a moment here and mention some of the really cool “firsts” that the team has achieved with this title, and highlight some of the things that we really love about it.
This is the very first game to launch with trophies. And just so you know what to be gunning for when you play, here is a complete list:
- All Seeds 01 – Open all seeds in garden 01
- All Seeds 02 – Open all seeds in garden 02
- All Seeds 03 – Open all seeds in garden 03
- All Seeds 04 – Open all seeds in garden 04
- All Seeds 05 – Open all seeds in garden 05
- All Seeds 06 – Open all seeds in garden 06
- All Seeds 07 – Open all seeds in garden 07
- All Seeds 08 – Open all seeds in garden 08
- All Seeds 09 – Open all seeds in garden 09
- All Seeds 10 – Open all seeds in garden 10
- All Gardens Clear – Get a Spectra in each garden
- Combo Ten – Pollen Prowler combo x 10
- Combo Fifteen – Pollen Prowler combo x 15
- The Hundred Thousander – Get 100,000 pollen in one garden
- 500 Dead Pollen Prowlers – 500 Pollen Prowlers killed
- Ten Minute Grimp – Get all 5 Spectra from a garden within 10 minutes
- Fifteen Crystals – Get fifteen crystals in a single jump
- Zero Wasted Pollen – Open all seeds in a garden without missing any pollen
- Three Play Ping Pong – In 3p mode, trapeze jump between two swinging Grimps
- All Spectra Found – Get all the Spectra in all gardens
2. YouTube video upload support
How cool is this? It’s a great feature that allows you to capture up to 10 minutes of video footage of your Eden gameplay and then either save it to your XMB or upload to YouTube and share with your friends and the world. So hey, pulled a sweet co-op combo with your friends that you want to show off? Having trouble finding that last Spectra in garden 8? Now you’ve got the proof to back up your bragging rights…or at least accept the fact that you might need just a little bit of – ahem – help. :)
3. PSP Remote Play
OK so this isn’t a first. But it’s worth pointing out anyway so you can take PixelJunk Eden with you wherever you & your PSP go.
Great news: We’ve just learned that PJ Eden won a Cheat Code Central award for “Best Puzzle / Arcade Game of E3 2008.” We’re really pleased with all positive response on the title, and thank you all for your support. If you haven’t played some of the other titles in the PixelJunk series, be sure to check out Q-Games’ other titles, PixelJunk Racers and PixelJunk Monsters + Encore.
5. Music & Art
We’re really loving the music and visuals that Baiyon created for PixelJunk Eden. You know the music is good when you can listen to it over and over and over again and it is still kicking. There’s more than 100 minutes of music in the game total, and be sure to stay tuned for an upcoming interview right here on this blog with Baiyon and PJE’s game director “Tomi” (Tominaga Shouichi).
6. Druck der Farben
Hands down, my favorite garden.
7. Cannons, teleports, gravity changing, oh my.
8. Top 5 Things Said While Playing Eden
Dylan Cuthbert sent us a link yesterday to a story on TripleTags.com about the top 5 things said while playing Eden. Matt Morton, Associate Producer on Eden, and I have our own here while playing co-op, so we’ll leave you with this list as parting thoughts
– “Seeding!” [And yes, I know I’ve been ridiculed for this one.]
– “Get off me!”
– “Where did you go?”
– “Combo. Combo! Combo!!”
– “Get on the plant. Get on the plant!”
Always spreading the PixelJunk love,