Until Dawn

Jul 31

The Last Guy Is Here To Rescue You

Josh Miller's Avatar Posted by Josh Miller on Jul 31, 2008 // Producer, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Recently at E3, SCEA announced some really cool PlayStation Network titles, including Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic, Fat Princess, Flower and Crash Commando. Well, the goods keep on coming because I’m excited to tell you today about ANOTHER new downloadable title we are bringing to PSN very soon: The Last Guy.

Before I say too much else about it, fire up this first-look gameplay trailer to learn a little bit about the premise of the game:

Pretty crazy, right? The trailer talks a bit about the story, but here’s some more detail. Set some time in the 21st century, a mysterious purple ray hits Earth, turning anyone touched by the light into a monster or zombie. With zombies roaming the streets, unaffected people lucky enough to have been inside a building when the ray hit are anxiously holding their collective breath, waiting for someone to rescue them. As The Last Guy, you are the survivors’ last hope to survive this global crisis. Actually, the hero of the game is himself a zombie from the Himalayan mountains, on a quest to save the remaining humans from the zombies that have infested it.
Go forth and save!!

As for the gameplay, here’s a basic rundown. The Last Guy is a fast-paced and addictive classic arcade style game with simple controls. The game uses real-life aerial maps of various cities around the world, including Tokyo, London and Los Angeles. As the player, you are the last remaining hope in each of these cities to rescue mankind from the zombies roaming the streets. As you navigate the city, you gather survivors hidden throughout buildings and other nooks and crannies in the city. Once rescued, the nervous survivors will form a line behind you. The objective is to lead them back to the Escape Zone so the United Rescue Force can pick them up and whisk them off to safety.

The Last Guy - Mission

To complete a stage, you have to get enough survivors back to the escape zone before time runs out. Which isn’t as easy as it looks, because if zombies get too close, the people in line scream and scatter back into the buildings, meaning you have to rescue them again. So you’ll want to keep everyone as far away from the zombies as possible.

The Last Guy - Escape Zone

Along the way, you will encounter 10 types of zombies , not including tougher “boss” enemies. As the Last Guy, you possess special powers like thermography or heat vision to help you see where survivors are hiding. You’ll also find helpful power-ups, like freezing time, warping back to the escape zone and temporary invisibility, scattered throughout the city to help avoid the pesky zombies.

5 The Last Guy

Well, that’s it for now. There will be much more about The Last Guy in the weeks to come. Thanks!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ jcasanova on July 31st, 2008 at 10:32 am said:

If someone finds the Hindi interview with subtitles, could you please paste the link on a comment?

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 10:45 am said:

We are actually releasing a subtitled version of that very soon, and it even has a new section with the director talking about the gameplay.

+ Seba501 on July 31st, 2008 at 10:51 am said:

Dont forget about trophies

+ JDog09 on July 31st, 2008 at 10:58 am said:

I’m still not sure sure what kind of game this. All I learned from this post is that you need to lead the survivors to a safe point. But how the players actually do that-neither you nor the video explanied that well. It’s hard to get excited about a game that has no clear…directions. Hopefully you’ll touch on this more in future posts.

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 11:10 am said:

The gameplay is actually very simple. You use the left thumbstick to move your character around through the city streets. You look for people hiding out (the \”thermography\” heat vision helps with that – see the screenshots), and when you are close to the entrance of the building, they rush out and get in line behind you. You then escort them back to the Escape Zone. The challenge comes from the zombies roaming the streets, since they will scatter people in your line if they get too close, meaning you have to rescue them again. So, do you keep building your line into the 100s and hundreds, or take smaller groups of people back and head out again? It\’s a race against the clock to get enough people before the time runs out.

+ FritoZ on July 31st, 2008 at 11:01 am said:

i guess having it actually say “ONE QUESTION” in my post sends the opposite effect to Josh Miller’s Brain.

why so selective with your answers?

why answer some questions and leave others open?

just wondering, you really got to build up enthusiasm for fringe games like this, and relating to the community fully always helps spread the word.

+ archie4oz on July 31st, 2008 at 11:04 am said:

OK the scary thing is that I actually recognized where in Japan those photos are from!

+ Dave702 on July 31st, 2008 at 10:18 am said:

Life with Playstation???

+ C-h-a-o-s on July 31st, 2008 at 10:22 am said:

It looks like an interesting game, will have to check it out a bit more.

+ THATPSPGUY on July 31st, 2008 at 10:22 am said:

How am I going to BUY THIS???? Where are the PSN Cards. yes I’m kinda whining but seriously do you NOT want Millions of Dollars More or something? There’s a flaw in that type of business model. Whoever is keeping those from our hands should get fired today. I mean it. I want to buy all these games; Pixel Junk Eden, Monsters, racers, Super Stardust, Quore full year, more old school psone games, JOUST!. Alot of stuff. But for some weird unknown reason as of yet you seem to not want to just freely take our money which you can then boost your profits a bit more than you’ve seen thus far. Please for the love of Pete or Me or the Millions of your loyal gamers out there. Release them.
I used to care about Home but with so many interesting games it hasn’t really crossed my mind in the least. Did I mention that the Eden demo is sooooooo addictive??? Huh did I?

So come on get with it man. Get those cards out into our hands so that you can get our money right back into yours. Sound Fair? I think so.

Hmm let’s do the basic math here:

10 or so Million Users in North America, That’s The United States of America & Canada.

10 000 000 X $20= FTW! That’s a dump load of cash. That would be in the first week alone by the way. That is my prediction of how it would go down. Within a Month, you would most likely have the Guinness Record for the most prepaid cards sold . 10’s of millions would sell even if they were just $20 cards. The range between that and $100 would make your profit margin skyrocket. ( For any investors looking in, Now is a Great time to buy) I know business and this just seems wrong to me. Denial of service to your customers even though you are trying to make money from the place that only these cards can be Used. Primarily the target audience does not have credit cards. Thus the need for an alternative. Hence the PlayStation Network Cards.

This Game is the EXACT type of game I’ve been waiting on. Some truly great game play mechanics but with everything else updated. The classic Top-Down look will appeal to the older gaming crowd, like myself. The graphics and the Zombie genre will attract everyone else. I really like the look of this. It’s nice to see so many “Hero” games coming out. Seems we’re all past the whole “alien Games” stages. No offense Resistance FOM 1 or 2 Yours are Spectacularly done. But this, I heard about The last Guy a while ago. Thought it was just a rumor until today.

Just please. I want to buy this.

It’d be sweet if you could Google Map your Hometown.

+ GameOverGreggy on July 31st, 2008 at 10:22 am said:

Hey —

Put this out now!

+ EViD on July 31st, 2008 at 10:23 am said:

I like the concept.

+ JBruno on July 31st, 2008 at 10:24 am said:

glad to know that the US release will be more complete, the 3 levels only dont satisfy me because im hungry for this game!

+ Jenovah on July 31st, 2008 at 11:04 am said:

Have you met the fine folks at Hindusian Electronics who developed the game? Do you know the goats name by chance? ;)

Is that vid getting posted on the store as well?

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 11:14 am said:

The gameplay trailer will be on the store today, and the subtitled interview trailer should be out on the internet soon and on the store next week.

+ Trat on July 31st, 2008 at 11:05 am said:

Josh, wouldn’t it be great to view the globe on Life With Playstation and then just zoom in on some part and play this game???

+ archie4oz on July 31st, 2008 at 11:05 am said:

Wow, the scary thing is that I recognize where in Japan those satellite photos are from…

+ Mort on July 31st, 2008 at 11:07 am said:

Awesome and informative post. I’m not sure what to make of this game, but it’s great that you will post a demo because I am definitely intrigued……

Sony should be heavily praised for it’s line up of PSN titles. You guys have really set yourselves apart from the competition, with some absolute must have games (PJE & SSHD for starters), and some innovative titles. Thank you so much for working hard to bring us unique and interesting games.

I look forward to trying this out when it hits later this year.

Keep up the good work.

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 12:05 pm said:

Thanks for the kind comments, Mort, and everyone else posting!

+ KnaveX on July 31st, 2008 at 11:12 am said:

Looks nice, thanks for answering most doubts Miller.

+ Toast on July 31st, 2008 at 11:12 am said:

Google maps turned into a game…interesting…

+ Neil on July 31st, 2008 at 11:21 am said:

Oh thank you thank you thank you for bringing this to the US. I’ve been keeping my eye on this game. I saw that it was released on the Japanese PlayStation store yesterday and was starting to think that it would never come to these shores.

All this game needs now is an update so you can edit your own neighborhood!

+ Aerfox on July 31st, 2008 at 11:37 am said:

Once I heard about this game I knew I had to have it. Can’t wait for it to appear in N America. Its something about the game that sucked me in, mostly the soundtrack that was being played.

+ SpeedNut on July 31st, 2008 at 11:48 am said:

How can one zombie befriend and help the humans but the rest can’t?

Other than that the game looks cool and easy to get started with (low learning curve)!

+ shaunLEGEND on July 31st, 2008 at 12:05 pm said:

For great justice, please release the music from the trailer for free on PSN. I want to play that song for every game that supports in-game music lol.

+ absolute on July 31st, 2008 at 12:07 pm said:

Man, it looks like every single PSN game Sony showed at E3 was very unique and completely different from one another. I can honestly say I’m going to download every one of them. This game just looks crazy, but everything I had read up until now said that it used Google Earth. That’s not true? So does that mean that the cities are pre-determined and you can’t play anywhere you like?

+ EvoAnubis on July 31st, 2008 at 12:10 pm said:

Ok, Josh, I played the flash version of The Last Guy . . . actually, I’ve spent the entire time between my first post and this one doing it. I’m sold! The game is fun as hell.

+ JDog09 on July 31st, 2008 at 12:14 pm said:

@ Josh Miller #78

Pretty interesting…I mean wow! That sounds pretty cool. Now that sounds challenging and fun! Thanks for the reply and clearing that up for me. Can’t wait to hear more!

+ hobo-1 on July 31st, 2008 at 12:27 pm said:

Wow I’m shocked this was picked up for the west. I thought like Dark Mist this was not up to the “special” SCEA standards. Regardless looking forward to this hopefully it won’t be long wait like the delayed frenzy Wipeout HD.

+ verybadbeetle on July 31st, 2008 at 12:36 pm said:

I just love the concept of this game. It is such a cool idea. I am so glad this is coming to America. I can’t wait!

+ mobiletone on July 31st, 2008 at 12:38 pm said:

i’d like to know your position on people who do not wish their property/land to be included in a video game.

i state here, that i DO NOT give permission for images of my building to be used for this project. if images of my building are used you shall be charged $100,000 each and every time it happens to be paid into my PSN account on the last day of every calender month. refusal to remove my building or, in the future to use digital images of my building in the game is an acceptance of the payment agreement.

yours sincerly
T. Flaxman.

+ mobiletone on July 31st, 2008 at 12:40 pm said:

ps: this game is a blatent rip-off of a game written on the PC months back using actual google maps images.

+ Jackal888 on July 31st, 2008 at 12:42 pm said:

Josh, I have been playing the flash version Last Guy : Everywhere. This is a fun game. Everyone with questions should try the Flash version.http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/07/31/play-sonys-nutty-last-guy-game-on-this-website/

I am interested and happy that cray games like this are still being made.

+ Joe on July 31st, 2008 at 12:46 pm said:

Nice this game looks different and at the same time cool. Now is this a game that will only be on the PS3 or is there going to be a PSP version too. My guess would be no but you never know. Also will the game support remote play.

+ Jackal888 on July 31st, 2008 at 12:51 pm said:

@ mobilestone: We live in an age where everything is photographed you cannot control that.Are you sure these are not the same developers of that PC game? Even if they are not, ideas can be the same for different games.

+ Gkar of Narn on July 31st, 2008 at 1:03 pm said:

Unfortunately, this game appears to be infantile and a waste of time. Why can’t Sony concentrate on bringing Chair Entertainment’s “Undertow” to the PSN? I’m sure that many of my fellow PS3 owners would appreciate it.

+ blaCChussein on July 31st, 2008 at 1:11 pm said:

is anyone playing madden 09?

+ NinjasOwn on July 31st, 2008 at 1:14 pm said:

Gkar you do know there are people that are actually interested in this game. I understand that you want them ad a different game to the PSN, but to hate on The last guy, because your pissed about them not adding Undertow is just stupid.

+ tezasaurus on July 31st, 2008 at 1:42 pm said:

This looks like a very cool, unique game. Can’t wait to see what the HD maps look like on the PSN video.

And Josh, thank you for replying to so many comments here and making full use of what Sony’s set up with this blog for developers to talk directly to the gamers and system owners. I look forward to hearing more about this game- any chance on telling us when a demo will be available on PSN?

+ saiyanknight87 on July 31st, 2008 at 1:50 pm said:

man what’s good sony y’all been droppin these weird games and that pixeljunk eden sucked i just want the youtube feature to record my games on cats especially for soul caliber.

+ Solidferret on July 31st, 2008 at 2:15 pm said:

Look’s like a great game.

+ Rev B on July 31st, 2008 at 2:20 pm said:

Wow. This looks really lame.

+ TTP on July 31st, 2008 at 2:37 pm said:

Any chance you can patch Trophies in?

+ Thetruefiziks on July 31st, 2008 at 3:31 pm said:

i’m playing the online version lol, i got my ps3 controller connected to my pc so it’s practically like i’m playing the game on ps3… links to black and white pictures are the best places to find a good level

+ dagothnonlik on July 31st, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 5:09 pm said:

Hey, guys and gals.

Again, thanks for all the great comments!

If you’re playing The Last Guy internet version, be sure check all the controls, which are listed here:

Holding the space bar will let you use thermography so you can see where people are. Hold the left mouse button to dash, which uses Stamina (you can pick up stamina refill powerups). Press ‘C’ to have the line scrunch up behind you to get out of the way of zombies. And you can zoom in and out of the map with the scroll button on the mouse.

Yahoo.com and YouTube are really good sites for playing.

+ angelcurio on July 31st, 2008 at 6:26 pm said:

Some people like me actually need PSN cards in order to buy games. When are you guys going to release them?

+ thatsmartguywiththefro on July 31st, 2008 at 6:27 pm said:

wow, this looks amazing! Thanks Josh for all the responses, haven’t seen this many questions since…..never…..except maybe Noel sometimes. :)

I’ve been excited about this ever since it was announced for Japan, so this is good news. Hope that since the demo is coming soon, we’ll get this within a couple months.

+ verybadbeetle on July 31st, 2008 at 6:42 pm said:

This is why I love Sony so much. Weird inventive quirky games that you can’t find anywhere else. Please keep bringing stuff like this to us.

+ Spaceghost4284 on July 31st, 2008 at 6:54 pm said:

trophy or no buy

+ Clinton514 on July 31st, 2008 at 7:25 pm said:

Please tell me that someone else played Work Time Fun on the PSP! There was mini game called Riot where you had to lead rioters away from the Riot Cops and into a safe spot or simply avoid them for a certain amount of time. This is so like that and I like what I see.

I can’t wait for more info.

+ Clinton514 on July 31st, 2008 at 7:31 pm said: