Star Wars Battlefront

Jul 31

The Last Guy Is Here To Rescue You

Josh Miller's Avatar Posted by Josh Miller on Jul 31, 2008 // Producer, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Recently at E3, SCEA announced some really cool PlayStation Network titles, including Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic, Fat Princess, Flower and Crash Commando. Well, the goods keep on coming because I’m excited to tell you today about ANOTHER new downloadable title we are bringing to PSN very soon: The Last Guy.

Before I say too much else about it, fire up this first-look gameplay trailer to learn a little bit about the premise of the game:

Pretty crazy, right? The trailer talks a bit about the story, but here’s some more detail. Set some time in the 21st century, a mysterious purple ray hits Earth, turning anyone touched by the light into a monster or zombie. With zombies roaming the streets, unaffected people lucky enough to have been inside a building when the ray hit are anxiously holding their collective breath, waiting for someone to rescue them. As The Last Guy, you are the survivors’ last hope to survive this global crisis. Actually, the hero of the game is himself a zombie from the Himalayan mountains, on a quest to save the remaining humans from the zombies that have infested it.
Go forth and save!!

As for the gameplay, here’s a basic rundown. The Last Guy is a fast-paced and addictive classic arcade style game with simple controls. The game uses real-life aerial maps of various cities around the world, including Tokyo, London and Los Angeles. As the player, you are the last remaining hope in each of these cities to rescue mankind from the zombies roaming the streets. As you navigate the city, you gather survivors hidden throughout buildings and other nooks and crannies in the city. Once rescued, the nervous survivors will form a line behind you. The objective is to lead them back to the Escape Zone so the United Rescue Force can pick them up and whisk them off to safety.

The Last Guy - Mission

To complete a stage, you have to get enough survivors back to the escape zone before time runs out. Which isn’t as easy as it looks, because if zombies get too close, the people in line scream and scatter back into the buildings, meaning you have to rescue them again. So you’ll want to keep everyone as far away from the zombies as possible.

The Last Guy - Escape Zone

Along the way, you will encounter 10 types of zombies , not including tougher “boss” enemies. As the Last Guy, you possess special powers like thermography or heat vision to help you see where survivors are hiding. You’ll also find helpful power-ups, like freezing time, warping back to the escape zone and temporary invisibility, scattered throughout the city to help avoid the pesky zombies.

5 The Last Guy

Well, that’s it for now. There will be much more about The Last Guy in the weeks to come. Thanks!

+ Captain Fury on July 31st, 2008 at 10:09 pm said:

awesome music

+ bigd2510 on July 31st, 2008 at 10:58 pm said:

I vowed I’d be getting this after seeing the first promo. Genius marketing by you guys.

+ PSPsGTghOost on July 31st, 2008 at 11:45 pm said:

Please say it supports trophies!

+ quickdex on August 1st, 2008 at 11:24 am said:

I am a sucker for anything zombie related! This game looks like it’s going to be really fun, a little more light hearted than say a Resident Evil, kudos to Sony for never being afraid to try something new! The video on the PSN looks amazing, I can’t wait to try out the demo and purchase the real deal.

I have my fingers crossed for a New York City map, what better city to help citizens from a zombie outbreak than NYC!? I also hope they eventually release additional maps in the future. Not sure if it was posted before, but any word on trophies?

+ MidnightBlues on August 1st, 2008 at 12:15 pm said:

Can you give an answer about trohpies please? you never even adressed this issue and its a big one…..I inderstand you dont want to tie your own noose just yet and say there wont be any but this is a critical piece of information!!!

Please either confirm or deny trophies…this is my deciding factor..

+ herb420 on August 3rd, 2008 at 6:43 am said:

I did not read all the comments, but I will still ask my regular question. Will you be putting custom soundtracks in this game? If not, once again, I will have to pass. The fact of the matter is that I will buy no game that does not include it from here on out. PSN or BluRay, every game should have this feature. My money will be spent on Xbox 360 versions of any game both systems have, and PS3 exclusives I will just miss out on.

This makes me sad, because I actually like my PS3 better. They should never have said it would be included if a patent made it impossible.

+ herb420 on August 6th, 2008 at 1:27 pm said:

What no answer? Come on, Please.

+ TrueScythe on August 8th, 2008 at 8:18 pm said:

I LOVE these guys…!!!…best developers ever…can’t wait for this game…

+ duskywolf50 on August 9th, 2008 at 10:33 am said:

(chucking) this is so-so game I ever see. Indeed, this game will be great for mobile device such as Iphone not PS3. they can do better than that. I hope not cost too much for this. But that’s very creative game.

+ Havok1414 on August 11th, 2008 at 8:26 am said:

So the last guy is a zombie from the Himalaya Mountains? Do we ever find out why a zombie is trying to save the human race? Also, The Last Guy support trophies? If not at launch, would the team consider adding trophies retroactively? Trophies have definitely been a boon to popularity of games like SSHD and Eden, don’t you think?

+ FlamingNoob on August 11th, 2008 at 7:09 pm said:

this is really gonna mess out psn/sony really bad now that trophies have been introduced befor all the games knew and if they could add them in there games. So now people won’t buy things from psn because they didn’t put more time on planning.

+ fadet0black on August 18th, 2008 at 12:59 pm said:

I need to be rescued.
Love It!
-Sony Rocks-

+ misteroy on July 31st, 2008 at 4:02 am said:

OMG awesome!!!!!!

+ XxBigP123xX on July 31st, 2008 at 4:06 am said:

I want this pretty bad. It looks awesome.

+ MiC on July 31st, 2008 at 4:08 am said:

haha that’s so great. Typical Sony, unique innovatie fun, crazy, stupid games :D

Love ‘m.

+ canguy69 on July 31st, 2008 at 4:10 am said:

Looks very unique. I really like how the psn has such a wide range of game play titles.

+ Stoffinator on July 31st, 2008 at 4:12 am said:

This game looks crazy. But certainly an original concept.

+ Azmo85 on July 31st, 2008 at 4:15 am said:

Will we get trophy support on this title ???Im hoping all new games get trophys just got my 100% on stardust HD and that was a challenge!

+ Fallen_Guardian on July 31st, 2008 at 4:20 am said:

Will you be bringing The Last Guy as soon as lets say August 7th? at a price at around 5.99?

+ Yoshimitsu on July 31st, 2008 at 4:29 am said:

Its already out in Japan.
Not my kind of game. Seems to be pretty cheap and blurry. But hey! Keep on going with your unique games. Ive found many PSN games fun which ie never seen before in other games. Hopw you will release Fat princess soon and that it includes everything that it should before that fat girl mailed you.

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 10:15 am said:

The version out in Japan is of a much smaller scale than our upcoming version will be. Our will have a full 14 levels.

And the game is in gorgeous HD. You\’ll be able to see the above gampelay trailer in all its glory on the PS Store later today!

+ deadxbabiesxinc on July 31st, 2008 at 4:30 am said:

I hope its great, another innovative game for the PS3! Woot! :)

+ VenomX on July 31st, 2008 at 4:37 am said:

I want this game so bad! I hope it has trophies and in-game music! This game is awesome the it’s done!

+ INTVGene on July 31st, 2008 at 4:40 am said:

I’ve been watching this one for Japan. I’m glad to see that it’s coming here soon.

+ Sentry__23 on July 31st, 2008 at 4:40 am said:

Looks and sounds addictive :)

I read this was based on Google Earth.
Will there be any new cities later then for download, or.. will there be any chance for users to create their own maps ?

(I’d love to see my home town infested with zombies.. well, in the game that is.
Not that I’m not prepared for Z-day)

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 10:10 am said:

This is not Google Earth, just some very nice aerial/satellite photos of major cities around the world.

+ Jeigh on July 31st, 2008 at 4:50 am said:

I saw the “Promotional Video”- the one with supposed developing team speaking in what I believe was a dialect of Hindi- and I have to say: hilarious. This should be an interesting game.

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 10:16 am said:

There\’s actually a new version of that interview video with more stuff about the game. We\’ve subtitled it and it should be out on the nets soon. And yes, it\’s hilarious! Even more so when you find out what they\’re actually saying! :D

+ Fersis on July 31st, 2008 at 4:51 am said:

Another day one buy for me.
Its amazing , the PSN its getting amazing content.

+ Chrisrahosiris on July 31st, 2008 at 4:54 am said:

I love the innovative titles that you have available and that will be available on PSN

+ Enforcer_X on July 31st, 2008 at 4:59 am said:

This is AWESOME!!!!

+ TONX on July 31st, 2008 at 5:05 am said:

PSN am awesome.

+ SPARDA on July 31st, 2008 at 5:09 am said:

Sony has nailed it by supporting all these innovative titles on the PSN, instead of those regurgitated classic arcade games that the competition has.

I am looking forward to hear even more.

+ Schitthammer on July 31st, 2008 at 5:13 am said:

When you say “very soon”, do you mean that this will be coming within the month of August? Ever since I saw this game I’ve been psyched about it!

+ nbnz on July 31st, 2008 at 5:15 am said:

This does look unique and innovative, probably not my cup of tea but good to see more new game ideas on the PSN.

+ Kamakazikenny on July 31st, 2008 at 5:27 am said:

Is it coming to EU? Please say so. SCEE is always lazy with new games.

BTW what the hell was that video filmed in the Himalayas about?

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 10:18 am said:

Yes, this is coming to all territories, including Europe.

And there\’s a new version of the interview trailer, now with English subtitles, that should be out there on the internet soon. Hopefully today!

+ GGCAN on July 31st, 2008 at 5:27 am said:

Sounds like a great game…kind of reminds me of that one that Charlton Heston was in a long time ago called Omega Man and Will Smith just did a remake of.

Thanks for the post.

+ Makula on July 31st, 2008 at 5:31 am said:

The game looks awesome.. and the title is very original :p

+ SilverPR on July 31st, 2008 at 5:34 am said:

It’s weid that they are using a Zombie himself as the hero…. I hope it makes sence once the gaem si out.

+ Stephanie1 on July 31st, 2008 at 5:37 am said:

The story would be more awesome if you actually were the last “guy/man” on the planet and you had women chasing you because they umm.. want your baby..? And you have to shake em off as you run around in the city.

But this is great too! =)

+ TheInfectedBy590 on July 31st, 2008 at 5:46 am said:

I was hoping this game would come to the american PSN :)

Any new info on Fat Princess?

+ Marcoco11 on July 31st, 2008 at 5:47 am said:

The Evolution of Pac-man… lol Pac-Guy 09′

The google maps thing is pretty cool, hopefully we will be getting life with playstation tonight also!

+ Kedaro on July 31st, 2008 at 6:02 am said:

Brilliant idea, all else depends on execution I suppose.

I hope some really serious quality assurance goes into this, It has ‘HUGE’ potential for future applications/expansion.

I’d like to see some more DLC games use actual cityscapes like this, It intrigues me to see topical maps of places I’ve either wanted to visit, or have just never visited in general.

Is there possibly going to be custom scenarios? User generated content based on google earth maps?

+ Edu on July 31st, 2008 at 6:08 am said:

Looks pretty insane too just like the creators xD Will it come with the goat that we saw in the interview? :p

I will buy it for sure

+ babybluedb on July 31st, 2008 at 6:12 am said:

i like the new concept of taking real time pictures of the world and making them into levels i doubt that that has ever been done before.

is there going to be a demo

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 10:29 am said:

Yes, there will definitely be a demo for it.

If you want to get a small taste for what it\’s like, go here and click on the \”The Last Guy Everywhere\” banner at the bottom. ;)

+ Supreme_Math on July 31st, 2008 at 6:17 am said:

Never thought I would be excited for a PSN game but damn this looks hot

+ markstew on July 31st, 2008 at 6:30 am said:

now all we need in Europe are other payment options like paypal or click&buy…

+ Kenshin001 on July 31st, 2008 at 6:33 am said:

When will this be released?

+ ISEMAN on July 31st, 2008 at 6:34 am said:

Too funny, looks like a blast. Any word on pricing? If the maps aren’t HD (which I’m guessing they aren’t), I would think this would be around $5.

Definitely keeping my eye on this one.

Josh Miller's Avatar

+ Josh Miller on July 31st, 2008 at 10:30 am said:

Actually they are HD, and look gorgeous. These are very hi-res aerial photos we\’re using. :D

+ Herby on July 31st, 2008 at 6:44 am said:

This sounds awesome. There has to be some kind of online play and I bet that is going to be innovative. Maybe your online players can be the zombies. I love the music by the way.

+ FritoZ on July 31st, 2008 at 6:51 am said:

I can see my house from here!

so, can we ever play this in other countries/locations of our choosing, like in google earth, or are we stuck in the locations you described? and how about playing in our home towns?

It would be neat to go kill zombies using a map of my!

+ CitizenErased on July 31st, 2008 at 6:54 am said:

Sounds like an awesome concept, love the music too.

Will there be any night levels??

+ Gadbury on July 31st, 2008 at 7:07 am said:

Nice, original idea. Bravo Sony for promoting original games. Looks sweet enough although it reminds me of an online flash game and the HUD looks a bit amateur.

I hope this comes to Europe with a price that is fairly equivalent to the $ price. Don’t just replace the $ sign with a £ sign – it gets people’s backs up and hardly anyone will buy PSN games at those prices.