Farpoint

Jul 31

Jul 31

The Last Guy Is Here To Rescue You

Josh Miller's Avatar Posted by Producer, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Recently at E3, SCEA announced some really cool PlayStation Network titles, including Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic, Fat Princess, Flower and Crash Commando. Well, the goods keep on coming because I’m excited to tell you today about ANOTHER new downloadable title we are bringing to PSN very soon: The Last Guy.

Before I say too much else about it, fire up this first-look gameplay trailer to learn a little bit about the premise of the game:

Pretty crazy, right? The trailer talks a bit about the story, but here’s some more detail. Set some time in the 21st century, a mysterious purple ray hits Earth, turning anyone touched by the light into a monster or zombie. With zombies roaming the streets, unaffected people lucky enough to have been inside a building when the ray hit are anxiously holding their collective breath, waiting for someone to rescue them. As The Last Guy, you are the survivors’ last hope to survive this global crisis. Actually, the hero of the game is himself a zombie from the Himalayan mountains, on a quest to save the remaining humans from the zombies that have infested it.
Go forth and save!!

As for the gameplay, here’s a basic rundown. The Last Guy is a fast-paced and addictive classic arcade style game with simple controls. The game uses real-life aerial maps of various cities around the world, including Tokyo, London and Los Angeles. As the player, you are the last remaining hope in each of these cities to rescue mankind from the zombies roaming the streets. As you navigate the city, you gather survivors hidden throughout buildings and other nooks and crannies in the city. Once rescued, the nervous survivors will form a line behind you. The objective is to lead them back to the Escape Zone so the United Rescue Force can pick them up and whisk them off to safety.

The Last Guy - Mission

To complete a stage, you have to get enough survivors back to the escape zone before time runs out. Which isn’t as easy as it looks, because if zombies get too close, the people in line scream and scatter back into the buildings, meaning you have to rescue them again. So you’ll want to keep everyone as far away from the zombies as possible.

The Last Guy - Escape Zone

Along the way, you will encounter 10 types of zombies , not including tougher “boss” enemies. As the Last Guy, you possess special powers like thermography or heat vision to help you see where survivors are hiding. You’ll also find helpful power-ups, like freezing time, warping back to the escape zone and temporary invisibility, scattered throughout the city to help avoid the pesky zombies.

5 The Last Guy

Well, that’s it for now. There will be much more about The Last Guy in the weeks to come. Thanks!

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

blaCChussein said:

July 31st, 1:11 pm

is anyone playing madden 09?

NinjasOwn said:

July 31st, 1:14 pm

Gkar you do know there are people that are actually interested in this game. I understand that you want them ad a different game to the PSN, but to hate on The last guy, because your pissed about them not adding Undertow is just stupid.

tezasaurus said:

July 31st, 1:42 pm

This looks like a very cool, unique game. Can’t wait to see what the HD maps look like on the PSN video.

And Josh, thank you for replying to so many comments here and making full use of what Sony’s set up with this blog for developers to talk directly to the gamers and system owners. I look forward to hearing more about this game- any chance on telling us when a demo will be available on PSN?

saiyanknight87 said:

July 31st, 1:50 pm

man what’s good sony y’all been droppin these weird games and that pixeljunk eden sucked i just want the youtube feature to record my games on cats especially for soul caliber.

Solidferret said:

July 31st, 2:15 pm

Look’s like a great game.

Rev B said:

July 31st, 2:20 pm

Wow. This looks really lame.

TTP said:

July 31st, 2:37 pm

Any chance you can patch Trophies in?

Thetruefiziks said:

July 31st, 3:31 pm

i’m playing the online version lol, i got my ps3 controller connected to my pc so it’s practically like i’m playing the game on ps3… links to black and white pictures are the best places to find a good level

dagothnonlik said:

July 31st, 4:22 pm

coool

Josh Miller's Avatar

Josh Miller said:

July 31st, 5:09 pm

Hey, guys and gals.

Again, thanks for all the great comments!

If you’re playing The Last Guy internet version, be sure check all the controls, which are listed here:

Holding the space bar will let you use thermography so you can see where people are. Hold the left mouse button to dash, which uses Stamina (you can pick up stamina refill powerups). Press ‘C’ to have the line scrunch up behind you to get out of the way of zombies. And you can zoom in and out of the map with the scroll button on the mouse.

Yahoo.com and YouTube are really good sites for playing.

angelcurio said:

July 31st, 6:26 pm

Some people like me actually need PSN cards in order to buy games. When are you guys going to release them?

thatsmartguywiththefro said:

July 31st, 6:27 pm

wow, this looks amazing! Thanks Josh for all the responses, haven’t seen this many questions since…..never…..except maybe Noel sometimes. :)

I’ve been excited about this ever since it was announced for Japan, so this is good news. Hope that since the demo is coming soon, we’ll get this within a couple months.

verybadbeetle said:

July 31st, 6:42 pm

This is why I love Sony so much. Weird inventive quirky games that you can’t find anywhere else. Please keep bringing stuff like this to us.

Spaceghost4284 said:

July 31st, 6:54 pm

trophy or no buy

Clinton514 said:

July 31st, 7:25 pm

Please tell me that someone else played Work Time Fun on the PSP! There was mini game called Riot where you had to lead rioters away from the Riot Cops and into a safe spot or simply avoid them for a certain amount of time. This is so like that and I like what I see.

I can’t wait for more info.

Clinton514 said:

not interested

Captain Fury said:

July 31st, 10:09 pm

awesome music

bigd2510 said:

July 31st, 10:58 pm

I vowed I’d be getting this after seeing the first promo. Genius marketing by you guys.

PSPsGTghOost said:

July 31st, 11:45 pm

Please say it supports trophies!

quickdex said:

August 1st, 11:24 am

I am a sucker for anything zombie related! This game looks like it’s going to be really fun, a little more light hearted than say a Resident Evil, kudos to Sony for never being afraid to try something new! The video on the PSN looks amazing, I can’t wait to try out the demo and purchase the real deal.

I have my fingers crossed for a New York City map, what better city to help citizens from a zombie outbreak than NYC!? I also hope they eventually release additional maps in the future. Not sure if it was posted before, but any word on trophies?

MidnightBlues said:

August 1st, 12:15 pm

Can you give an answer about trohpies please? you never even adressed this issue and its a big one…..I inderstand you dont want to tie your own noose just yet and say there wont be any but this is a critical piece of information!!!

Please either confirm or deny trophies…this is my deciding factor..

herb420 said:

August 3rd, 6:43 am

I did not read all the comments, but I will still ask my regular question. Will you be putting custom soundtracks in this game? If not, once again, I will have to pass. The fact of the matter is that I will buy no game that does not include it from here on out. PSN or BluRay, every game should have this feature. My money will be spent on Xbox 360 versions of any game both systems have, and PS3 exclusives I will just miss out on.

This makes me sad, because I actually like my PS3 better. They should never have said it would be included if a patent made it impossible.

herb420 said:

August 6th, 1:27 pm

What no answer? Come on, Please.

TrueScythe said:

August 8th, 8:18 pm

I LOVE these guys…!!!…best developers ever…can’t wait for this game…

duskywolf50 said:

August 9th, 10:33 am

(chucking) this is so-so game I ever see. Indeed, this game will be great for mobile device such as Iphone not PS3. they can do better than that. I hope not cost too much for this. But that’s very creative game.

Havok1414 said:

August 11th, 8:26 am

So the last guy is a zombie from the Himalaya Mountains? Do we ever find out why a zombie is trying to save the human race? Also, The Last Guy support trophies? If not at launch, would the team consider adding trophies retroactively? Trophies have definitely been a boon to popularity of games like SSHD and Eden, don’t you think?

FlamingNoob said:

August 11th, 7:09 pm

this is really gonna mess out psn/sony really bad now that trophies have been introduced befor all the games knew and if they could add them in there games. So now people won’t buy things from psn because they didn’t put more time on planning.

fadet0black said: