Final Fantasy VII Remake

Aug 06

Parlez-vous Talkman Travel? Interactive Travel Guide Coming to PSP

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar Posted by Tsubasa Inaba on Aug 06, 2008 // Senior Producer, International Software Development

The PlayStation Portable is great for making a long plane or car ride go by faster. Starting this Thursday, Talkman Travel transforms your PSP into an indispensible tool once you reach your destination.

Talkman Travel map

Talkman Travel serves as an interactive pocket tour guide for tourists traveling to Tokyo, Paris or Rome. This will really help you “break the ice” with the locals in each of the destinations, with accurate linguistic support in Japanese, French or Italian.

So how does Talkman Travel help you in these world cities?

Talkman Travel Tokyo

How do you say???

For those of you who didn’t take your foreign language classes seriously, Talkman Travel comes to your rescue.

For each of the titles, Talkman Travel provides you a list of roughly 150 pre-selected phrases tourists are likely to use on their vacations. Sentences such as “Where is the tourist information desk?” or “Where is this restaurant?” or even “Where is the restroom?” All sentences can be translated into the respective languages at the push of a button. Push the button again, and the PSP will provide the audio for you as well. Suggested sentences are provided for likely situations involving dining, sightseeing and shopping.

Talkman Travel Rome

Along with the linguistic support, Talkman Travel contains pre-selected photo archives targeted at the likely interests for tourists traveling to Tokyo, Paris or Rome. Each of the photos are also accompanied by detailed descriptions of their significance.

Talkman Travel Rome

Pick-up lines

Okay, maybe this sounds a little bit cheesy, but you never know.

We have kept the phrases to a reasonable level (to keep you out of trouble) with suggested phrases such as “May I sit next to you?” or “Let’s take a picture together!” Use of these phrases along with the mini-games included in Talkman Travel, could possibly bring you closer to that cute girl or guy you just saw at the cafe in Paris, the gardens in Tokyo, or near that pizzeria in Rome.

There are a total of three mini-games that can be played with yourself and with a local you just met. Use them in conjunction with the pick-up lines explained above!

In a nutshell, Talkman Travel is an interactive pocket tour guide and an awesome communication tool for the jet set traveller. This is an experience you just can’t get from a standard tourist guide book!

Talkman Travel comes to the PSN this Thursday, August 7th at $5.99 per city.

PAGE 1 2

+ Koroshiya on August 6th, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

If this is successful for you guys, please add Hong Kong in the future. I got to HK once per year to visit a friend, but luckily most of the locals are fluent in English. Some of the local market sellers don’t speak English, so a few phrases in Cantonese for bargaining prices would be great! Cantonese is one of the most difficult languages for native English speakers to learn, so having some quick and useful references would be great for someone like me.

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on August 6th, 2008 at 3:58 pm said:

We\’re keeping fingers crossed for the 3 cities we will make available tomorrow.

Like you (and many other posts) have mentioned, it would be great to have additional cities made available too.

We\’ll just have to see eh?

+ Herby on August 6th, 2008 at 3:19 pm said:

I think this is awesome. And I hope this is the start of seeing some of the awesome addons that are available in other territories. (GPS and PSP Camera)

+ erico316 on August 6th, 2008 at 3:23 pm said:

@herby the camera for the psp that out worldwide are useless for us in the usa.the resolution are too low for our if they brought out a at least 3 mpeg then i would buy its.

+ Koroshiya on August 6th, 2008 at 3:25 pm said:

Sorry for posting again, but I just noticed the gravatar Tsubasa Inaba has. I just have to ask, are you a pilot? I’ve just finished my private license earlier this year and love flying! I will go back for my instrument rating this fall so I can have a little more freedom. Anyway, keep up the good work!

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on August 6th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

ha ha.

I wish I was a pilot.

Actually, my name in Japanese means \”Wings\”.

I do love flying though, and would love to get a private license myself.

This is a photo of me during one of the crazy photo shooting sessions during my times at Polyphony Digital, the creators of Gran Turismo. The photo was taken in a helicopter high up in the Swiss mountains, with no doors… It was summer, but it was freeeeezing!

+ afrosheen on August 6th, 2008 at 3:45 pm said:

Lack of GPS is really a bummer. Maybe 2.0? It’d be awesome to have context-sensitive statements, like questions to ask or information related to landmarks, local restaurants, temples, etc.

+ JuniorPS on August 6th, 2008 at 1:59 pm said:

Great! Making Talkman downloadable was a fantastic idea. And separating the languages is also practical. The price is fine with me. I’ll be D/L-ing Japanese.

Hey, Inaba-san, you family with Atsushi Inaba? Just wondering. Great job on Talkman!

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on August 6th, 2008 at 2:08 pm said:

Thanks for the positive thoughts.
    I hope this will make your travels to Tokyo more interesting.

Atsushi Inaba…
    I do have a LOT of cousins (big family tree), and there is one, in fact, by the name of Atsushi. Not sure if we are talking of the same one here…

+ Conrad Max on August 6th, 2008 at 3:13 pm said:

Just the other day I was wondering about this. A while ago I had answered a questionaire regarding the proposal of this product. I am glad that it is finally coming available.

I am glad that there will be a map feature.

As a matter of fact, when I was on deployment last year (in Japan), I downloaded a couple of maps of the area we were spending our liberty on my PSP. I also downloaded a couple of pages of phrases. These became very handy tools.

The Talkman Travel will certainly become a handy travel tool for many people when globetrotting. I hope that many will find an interest in this type of programming so that more will become available.

Thank you, Tsubasa Inaba!

+ coramoor_ on August 6th, 2008 at 4:33 pm said:

if you can get a german guide out within a year or so you’ll have my sale since i plan on making a return trip to germany during my break next year

+ BlackShadows14 on August 6th, 2008 at 4:43 pm said:

I wasn’t expecting this at all, and I won’t be surprised if anyone else thinks the same as me. Cool guide, seems innovative.

+ Stoffinator on August 6th, 2008 at 4:51 pm said:

I don’t know, seems kind of silly to me. And at $ bucks a pop, yikes.

+ chanskie on August 6th, 2008 at 6:23 pm said:

Thanks for this program~~! I am going to Tokyo first time ever this coming Christmas…I was wondering how i gonna survive there, but now i have find my saviour!thank SONY……but most importantly, will this available in Australia?

+ BigOLBallz on August 6th, 2008 at 2:04 pm said:

O K that’s pretty cool, I guess , so is gonna be a game ? or a travel guide ? or what’s up when I’m in Rome , I can just slip it out from under my toga and wow the women, oh no I wow them with something else from under the toga!!!

+ AranhaHunter on August 6th, 2008 at 2:10 pm said:

A GPS would be better and more useful, but I guess this is cool too….you might wanna make sure people can access the PSN store from their PSP though, makes for those compulsive purchases.

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on August 6th, 2008 at 2:18 pm said:

\”you might wanna make sure people can access the PSN store from their PSP\”

Yes… I wish for this myself, frankly…

+ erico316 on August 6th, 2008 at 2:42 pm said:

i want to learn japanese can we get something that teaches us how to read write and speak it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ erico316 on August 6th, 2008 at 2:45 pm said:

tell me will this teach me how to read write and speak Japanese if not will there be a future software that does?i do like the Japanese culture alot and would love to be able to read write and speak it1!!!

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on August 6th, 2008 at 2:57 pm said:

Talkman Travel does not literally teach you the grammar or language, but by playing with the phrases (English phrases are translated into the Japanese, and shown on screen + pronunciation via audio is available too!) you may be able to pick up some of the wording and characters that are used.

It certainly is a starting point!

+ erico316 on August 6th, 2008 at 2:46 pm said:

will there be a bundle to it like all 3 city for 15?and can we get a video to show us how it works?

+ SpeedRacer1955 on August 6th, 2008 at 2:51 pm said:

This is a great little application would also work for those of us who don’t travel to be able to converse with others visiting our Great country. Plus if there are more cities then more languages could be learned by myself and others!

+ Scar28fo on August 6th, 2008 at 5:06 pm said:

this is indeed worth the price but i wish it was for all 3.

+ tearsofash on August 6th, 2008 at 8:08 pm said:

It sounds nice, but it still doesn’t fill that void that the GPS device would fill.

A+ for effort though. It seems like a little much to take in right now. Not sure how useful it will be for me, but it sure seems neato burrito, Jeff!

+ Traveler1990 on August 6th, 2008 at 8:15 pm said:

It’s about time you guys released this i’ve been waiting forever to learn some japanese, I came close to importing it so many times.

It just sucks that i can’t buy talkman this week;gotta wait till i get my credit card down so i can get a sony walkman then i can go PSN CRAZY:)

+ Enforcer_X on August 6th, 2008 at 9:14 pm said:

What about the GPS adapter for the PSP?
That would make a great compliment to this Talkman Travel!

+ 2ndPSP on August 6th, 2008 at 10:47 pm said:

IT’s a great conmcept, what would make it even better is if Sony had released the GPS adaptor in the US. Tha way you could know where you were going and what to say when you got there.

+ gardea on August 6th, 2008 at 11:16 pm said:

This sounds really cool.

I’ll definitely be getting this, but not for travel reasons…just because I’m taking a French class in college next semester and I’ll probably need all the help I can get translating stuff :)

By the way, do you know when the PSP Cam will come out? I’ve been waiting for that since the PSP came out…

+ crystalx3d on August 7th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

Wasn’t there a talkman game that came out a while ago that used the microphone accessory? Does this program use the microphone at all?

+ mobiletone on August 7th, 2008 at 12:15 am said:

what next.. a cooking program? if i wanted a DS i would have bought one, just give us some GAMES to play on the thing! my PSP just sits there collecting dust.

+ okiwa002 on August 7th, 2008 at 1:51 am said:

Great work!!! This is definitely COOL!!!! :)

+ Jast3r Rogu3 on August 7th, 2008 at 2:02 am said:

This is why i love my PSP and have been using it since launch pretty much everyday.

+ mdo7 on August 7th, 2008 at 6:04 am said:

Wow. So Sony finally released the Talkman program for America. I wonder if Sony can make one for people going to China, South Korea, and Germany. I could imagine Sony and Rosetta Stone programer can release a Rosetta stone program for the PS3. That’s one thing the PS3 could have over the other console because of the blu-ray. 50 GB BD=5 to 10 languages in all level.

Maybe I’ll think of getting this because I’m planning of going to Italy next year. Sony, if you can team up with Rosetta Stone, that would be cool.

+ Fuji311 on August 7th, 2008 at 6:07 am said:

Sweet!!! This will come in very handy on my trip to Tokyo over the new year!!!

+ Korlithiel on August 7th, 2008 at 8:43 am said:

Sony announced that they were not going to bring the camera to the US, at first they said they were looking into retooling it so it could compete with cellphones though. I wish it was still coming, since it is more interesting then the GPS to me.

I totally agree, if they teamed up it would be sweet learning a new language from your PSP and having several bundled on your PS3.

Tsubasa Inaba

Thanks, I had imported Talkman and later tried the euro version only to get bored and eventually sell them. Looks like this will definitely be worth trying out, just hope the mini games are enjoyable.

+ Gunwing on August 7th, 2008 at 10:00 am said:

Well for those noobies who wan’ted official apps for the PSP here they go. They can buy it and have fun with talkmen. Oh well for those of inclined to stick with the PSP as a Gameing machine there is no need to buy it right? Please tell me I don’t have to buy this PSP addon.

If I do I will have to use a credit card because my stores (All of them BTW) Lack PSN cards!

+ Solid Squirrel on August 7th, 2008 at 10:53 am said:

How much memory does each city take up? I can’t imagine a lot considering it’s just flat graphics and text…

+ Devil240Z on August 7th, 2008 at 12:57 pm said:

does this use a microphone like the umd versions?

+ Jackal888 on August 7th, 2008 at 1:31 pm said:

I love these programs that help us PSP users. I do not travel a lot but I do hope to in the future.Lets hope more cities are added, I always wanted to go to Barcelona.

+ Wolf26pack on August 7th, 2008 at 2:59 pm said:

This is very interesting and would have been great with the GPS Add-on. When the PSN cards finally make it to store shelves I will have to try out the Japanese Version.

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on August 7th, 2008 at 5:33 pm said:

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all so much for the positive feedback and support.

Talkman Travel comes to the PSN today and we are very much looking forward to this.

As producer of this title, I agree with many of you, and had hoped for more availability of PSP peripherals. A game like this is a perfect example of why all of those peripherals were designed.

However, even without those brownie points, I’m sure Talkman Travel will give you a hint of what to look forward to, when traveling to each of these cities.

Some of the recommendations are more obvious, but some are from my personal experience having traveled to Paris and Rome, and having lived in Tokyo for many years.

+ mdo7 on August 7th, 2008 at 7:33 pm said:

Tsubasa, I said earlier that I would love to see Sony and Rosetta Stone team up and create a foreign language (Rosetta Stone: PS3 edition) software for the PS3. with Blu-Ray (50 GB), we can probably put like 10 to 20 languages for the price of 1. It means we can make foreign language and video game a bit intresting. I love to see that happen, the #1 foriegn language software on one of the promising gaming console.

+ Enigma777 on August 7th, 2008 at 9:49 pm said:

Will be picking up the Jap pack… It would be sweet if you could use a mic to practice pronouncing the words…

+ thedragonrider on August 8th, 2008 at 3:53 am said:

so these feature two european cities, right?
yet you dont think it’s a good idea to actually release it in europe?
smart guys, really smart.

or are (as i suspect) scee sitting on it?

i mean i can get to paris in a couple of hours, how long would it take any us customers?

you need to get rid of this regional crap because it’s punishing your best customers

+ zeke2040 on August 8th, 2008 at 1:12 pm said:

WOW! this is intereting… i can’t wait to try it out…

+ sony-alpha on August 8th, 2008 at 6:26 pm said:

wow! I see good job. Thank you very match.

+ jhazline on September 4th, 2008 at 2:51 am said:

Incredible type of travel aide, this would be a gigantic help you on finding specific landmarks, learn local phrases, and store pictures. Do you know how where and how to download this thing?

– – – – – – –
Your life deserves a place like this.

+ Jenovah on August 6th, 2008 at 12:06 pm said:

Pretty damn cool!

+ Eternity_Viper_Snake on August 6th, 2008 at 12:08 pm said:

thats freaking assome :) now just gotta find vacation money to go to those cities LOL….i have an idea how about you do a map quest portable you know like tom tom it could be called like Psp quest or Psp maps something of that sort would or could that be possible? just a thought but great work though… ;)

+ C-h-a-o-s on August 6th, 2008 at 12:09 pm said:

LOL at the pick up lines, last thing I would ever do is whip out my PSP to hit on someone foreign or not. It’s good though that you guys added that. If I ever travel (I’ve seen most of the world already) to places I haven’t been Talkman travel will def go with me.

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on August 6th, 2008 at 12:12 pm said:

Yes, I must admit some of those lines are cheesy, but at the end of the day, if this can spark up a conversation, what have you got to loose, right!?

Tsubasa Inaba's Avatar

+ Tsubasa Inaba on August 6th, 2008 at 12:11 pm said:

Thank you all for your posts so far!

I’m glad you like the concept.
It was really fun working on this project, and putting things together.

Just to clarify, each city will be made available on the PSN at $5.99.

Hey, you are likely to be taking your PSP for the long flight out.
You might as well pick this up if you are traveling to Tokyo, Paris or Rome!

+ C-h-a-o-s on August 6th, 2008 at 12:12 pm said:

Oh and the blog had a down page a while ago, any cool features we should know about? (Sorry for going off-topic)

+ depward on August 6th, 2008 at 11:44 am said:

I have to say… that’s pretty dang cool. It’s a whole new space of functionality for the PSP!

+ tdh on August 6th, 2008 at 12:14 pm said:

PSP with Pick Up lines!! International pick up lines at that! That’s awesome.

+ THE_TERRORIZER on August 6th, 2008 at 11:47 am said:

haha thats awesome…..a pocket-sized tour guide with foreign pick-up lines…..hahaha

So is this also like a gps thing?

PAGE 1 2