Driveclub

PAIN Trophies

Travis Williams's Avatar + Posted by Travis Williams on Aug 08, 2008 // Sr. Producer, SCEA

Hello everyone it’s Travis Williams, PAIN Producer, again and I wanted to take some time to tell you about the new PlayStation Network Trophies being added to PAIN Downtown.

scr0005 copy

The last trophy I ever “earned” was in ROTC. That was way back in High School (tragic I know). So, I have been really excited to see PlayStation 3 trophies make their way into games both old and new. It’s a new way to show your “ePump-a-tude”. PAIN already features internal trophies that make the modes challenging. That’s why it’s so awesome to get to make a whole new set of trophies. Here’s a list of some of the Trophies you will see next month. If the names seem sophomoric or juvenile to you, then you clearly haven’t been playing PAIN enough. That’s kinda “How We Do.”

To answer some questions before they come up…

Q: When will Trophies be available for PAIN?
A: When the Amusement Park ships on 9-4-2008 we will update PAIN to include trophies.

Q: When does Amusement Park ship?
A: Duh

Q: Are Trophies retroactive?
A: Most of the trophy requirements are new so we haven’t tracked your progress until now. Some work you will get credit for.

Q: Are you CRAZY?!
A: Yes… Yes I am.

So here they are…a “somewhat” complete list of PAIN Downtown Trophies. I say “somewhat” because PAIN keeps getting bigger and bigger. There are more trophies for the Amusement Park, but I’ll talk about them some other time.

PAIN Trophies

Gold Trophies

• Affliction Addiction: Get one billion points (Good Luck)

Silver Trophies

• Dude Abides: Use “The Dude” to score 50 Strikes in Bowling

Bronze Trophies

• 10 Mill Club: Get “PAIN in the Park” and “D-Town Destruction”
  • Harder Dick’s Balls: Get all of Dick’s Balls in the Block Party Dumpster without resetting
    (Heh heh heh) I really need adult supervision.
  • D-Town Destruction: Get 10,000,000 score in PAINdemonium and Aftermath
  • Combo Mambo: Get 20x Combo in PAINdemonium, Aftermath, Block Party and Demolition
  • Attention Spam: Get every type of PAIN (Groin, Head, Arm, Hand, Leg, Foot and Body) combo in PAINdemonium, Aftermath, Block Party and Demolition

PAIN Add-on Character Trophies

• Trill: Get PAINful Tosser Trophy with Scurv Dogg or Hung Lo
  • Grenade-A-Maid: Get Exploded 500 times with any female launchable character.

That’s it for now… We’re going to be releasing a lot of information in the coming weeks about the Amusement Park. New modes, new launchable characters and the brand new PAINLabs. When you have some time mosey on over to www.painps3.com that’s where you’ll get more info on all the new content!

Peace!

+ Fersis on August 8th, 2008 at 8:16 am said:

@44 SicboyGS
But you are not forced,no one is forcing you to get trophies. Games are competitives, so its understandable that people like trophies like this.
ITs something to increase the ‘life’ of the game ,and ITS optional ,so dont get upset.
Cheers man

+ Legendbyname on August 8th, 2008 at 8:19 am said:

These trophies are a little ridiculous to acquire. For example, getting just the football in the dumpster is 60% luck. Trying to get them all without resetting… yeah alright.

However it’s great you added trophies to downtown. Thanks

+ SicboyGS on August 8th, 2008 at 8:23 am said:

@49 Fersis

I get that, really I do, it’s just an odd thing for me to see people foaming at the mouth for this stuff when we survived 20+ years without them. Now it’s “where’s the trophies, I’m not gonna buy this game without trophies, and my favorite, I can’t wait to spend ALL NIGHT GETTING THESE”.

It just seems infantile to me and I wish there was an off button so I didn’t even have to see the trophy icon on my XMB.

+ Merovee on August 8th, 2008 at 8:25 am said:

I agree, I do like extremely challenging goals and all, hence having most of the in games, but what this game needed was not more hardcore appeal, it has it in abundance, but they are basically taking a group dump on casual and mainstream gamers with the direction they are going, and hoping some unsuspecting people buy it with hopes of getting a few happy moments.

And yes Fersis, it is a hard line to walk, but take for example Warhawks implementation, the have something for everyone implemented with theirs, some are based on dumb luck, some of the trophies insult you for doing dumb things that are amusing, some attainable by not being grand, but the majority are for the skilled and competent, and a few more for the die-hards only. Overall it is a good mix of ways to reward people of all skill levels. On the other hand there is PAIN… It gives maybe 8 trophies in game that are attainable easilly, 5 that are intermediate and a crap load for people who only think about the game apparently, not they have taken their PSN trophies down the same, “only for the hardest of the core!! I’m better than you! I ONLY PLAY PAIN!” path, collectively giving any potential customers, and people hoping for more inclusion the Super Finger. Which I think is a dumb move, if this game needs anything it is a larger appeal, not a smaller one.

+ LiQuiFiEdArT on August 8th, 2008 at 8:31 am said:

Here are some design choices with
2 Player Reactions:

1)”Oh yea i remember getting the (Cow Bells Blues) Trophy that was hilarious, You had to Jump here and do this then at just the right time smack his balls.”

2)”Your never gonna get Late Boomer in stardust its insane, I wouldnt do it again if you paid me”

Which to you sounds like a game you want to play?

+ Fersis on August 8th, 2008 at 8:31 am said:

@51 SicboyGS
Im 100% with you :D .
Personally it doesnt affect me ,but many people are going crazy about trophies.
But yeah, i have played games without trophies until one or two month ago ,and i dont have any problems :p
Cheers

+ Omen on August 8th, 2008 at 8:33 am said:

@51

Yes we have gone 20+ years without trophies but there were other things that people did to see who was better. Example: How many hours it takes to beat a game. Can you beat this or that level without dying. People will always find something to compete over.

+ Fersis on August 8th, 2008 at 8:34 am said:

Ok, lets take Late Boomer as an example of something good as bad.
Its hard to get,ok i give you that, BUT it tries to make you play different , so it add some replay value
Its good and bad.

+ tdh on August 8th, 2008 at 8:34 am said:

In case people have forgotten, you can’t please everybody all the time. Having said that people seem to have forgotten that Trophies aren’t taking away from the game. It’s not as if you cannot progress through a game with out gaining a Trophy you feel is too difficult to obtain.

The Trophies are supposed to add new challenges, and some of those challenges are… well challenging. If that particular gamer isn’t up to the challenge they’re not penalized for not meeting it.

Personally I’ve found the SSHD Trophies to be very balanced. There are those that are super easy, those that require some skill, some you obtained not realizing it was a Trophy, and those that are challenging. If these all fell into category of super easy what would be the point? I feel Uncharted Trophies are too easy. There are 12 total trophies for collecting Treasure that’s hard to miss in the first place. PixelJunk Eden trophies are perfect for me. Only a few of them are legitimately challenging, and most of them appeal to the explorer in me. Getting all the seeds in the level means I’ve seen everything, and by proxy extends playing time. (Read: enjoyment.)

If the Trophy’s too difficult for you, don’t continue trying. There are still other Trophies available to you. If you don’t like Trophies all together turn off the notification pop-up and don’t collect them. Think of it as buying a game and enjoying it and then they release DLC for $5. Well if that add-on content doesn’t appeal to you, you don’t buy it and don’t play it.

For my friends and I, we’re enjoying Trophies. Going back and replaying games we loved trying to out do each other has dusted off quite a number of games we haven’t touched in 6 months or more. 1 billion points in PAIN may seem insane, but so did 3 million points in the current build. After you find a good strategy it only took an hour of hilarious explosions to obtain.

I don’t want this to sound like “haha I’m a better gamer than you” but a lot of people are really enjoying the Trophies. I’m sorry you’re so frustrated with them, but developers ~are~ trying to find a balance with the trophies. Personally I think they’ve done a great job of it so far.

+ TristanMike on August 8th, 2008 at 8:37 am said:

@ LiQuiFiEdArT

Interesting points… I tend to agree. Though the trophies for Uncharted are pretty fair, I do agree that a system of balance should be in place. There’s a difference between being a good player and being a player who has no life. :P

+ StalkingSilence on August 8th, 2008 at 8:42 am said:

@LiquidFart (jk),
No one makes you collect trophies. So if they aren’t fun, you can stop at anytime. I think they add replayability because they are for things that shouldn’t be required by the regular player to enjoy the game. Doing that already unlocks content within the game. It’s about going above and beyond the game to get more trophies.

I dunno, I’m just not too worried about it.

+ Onna76_NL on August 8th, 2008 at 8:48 am said:

I also agree on the difficulty level of some trophies. Uncharted had already a really well balanced medal system in the game which was taken over by the trophy system, Bronze is quite easy to get, Silver not so difficult either, Gold a bit harder but not like unable.

Pixeljunk Eden is a complete shame. For all the effort you put in the game before you even get all the spectra’s in 1 garden, you’ll get 1 lousy bronze trophy. Stardust’s Late Boomer indeed same story and do the co-op on your own with 2 controllers, piece of pie and you’ll get gold. How ironic.

Uncharted has so far IMO the best Trophy system.

PSN: Onna76_NL

+ FritoZ on August 8th, 2008 at 8:48 am said:

********
*******
******
*****
****
***
I think the only people trophies hurt are obsessive compulsive people’s girlfriends…

those players simply HAVE to get ALL the trophies..

or they will feel incomplete and bothered, and will spend inordinate amounts of time playing the game and forgetting about loved ones and whether or not they are beginning to smell like cheetos and sweaty, sticky, musty couch funk.

Eventually these gamers will realize that wearing Depends adult diapers will allow them to play longer hours uninterrupted by the tyranny of the full bladder, and that blinking is in itself a distraction from prime gaming time…

So, be careful when trying to collect trophies, OR YOU WILL END UP JUST LIKE ME!!

lol

have a great weekend, PSBlog!

+ CitizenErased on August 8th, 2008 at 8:50 am said:

@ #5 Traveler1990

PAIN is awesome!!! I held off on buying it for the longest and have regreted that! I’ve unlocked a ton of trophies and completed a mess of challenges. But I really just like to mess around with the physics making cars crash into others and stuff. The first time I played it, I played for 6 hours straight.

Thank you for the update on the Trophies Mr. Williams!!! I CAN’T WAIT TO UNLOCK THEM!

When are we going to be able to launch Kratos, Ratchet & Clank, Nariko, Snake, SweetTooth???

+ Onna76_NL on August 8th, 2008 at 8:51 am said:

Pixeljunk Eden is not fun, its too damn frustrated and annoying.

Sorry Travis for getting off topic :-D I hope the trophies in Pain aren’t going to be such a pain to obtain ;-)

+ darkiewonder on August 8th, 2008 at 8:55 am said:

thanks for the update! can’t wait for the update!

+ madman32395 on August 8th, 2008 at 8:56 am said:

kinda took awhile for this but at least it is comming.

+ danielakadanny on August 8th, 2008 at 8:57 am said:

yes another game with trophies

+ FritoZ on August 8th, 2008 at 8:57 am said:

oh, and making trophies for add-on characters you have to buy is just wrong.

I bet you guys congratulated each other and went out to lunch after you realized that by making trophies for add-ons, you can make EVEN MORE MONEY off the poor gamers…

that’s just sad, guys…

so you can count those trophies out for me, not worth buying a character i’ll never use again….

and WHY are these characters cost $$$?

I can just skin up a charchter in Poser and 3d studio max in no time at all..

most good designer have 20-30 extra character designs left over after culling and refining, so instead of making the community better and offering up more fun for free, why not charge for each and every thing?

bah.

i love this game, but geez.. next we will have to pay for the amusement park, and then for more characters to get those trophies, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

oh and btw, for those of you who will undoubtedly say “no one is making you buy them” – you are right, and i will not be purchasing them just to get a few trophies…

soon, EVERY game released will have trophies, so there is no need to BUY trophies..(which is what you are basically wanting us to do)

just my 2cents

+ TouchyEd on August 8th, 2008 at 9:00 am said:

Yah, and getting the job of CEO at Sony is a little tough to achieve as well, so should Sony get rid of that position so as not to offend all the secretaries and support staff who have no hope in Hades of ever reaching that goal?

Trophies are there to reward skill, persistence, and a little bit of luck.

+ seafea on August 8th, 2008 at 9:03 am said:

@omen 10

You can check someone’s trophies by sending them a friend invite. You’re able to view their profile card and compare trophies (I think. I just remember the card specifically.) before they accept (or reject! eep!) the friend request.

+ Omen on August 8th, 2008 at 9:05 am said:

Is anyone else excited about the warhawk trophies? If not the trophies what about the 1.5 update?

+ babybluedb on August 8th, 2008 at 9:05 am said:

great but as long as ive played this game ive never got the one billion point mark

qestion is that all in one launch or can you use maultiple launches to get the one billion trophy

+ amante on August 8th, 2008 at 9:07 am said:

@53

Actually, both sound like they would draw people in. One for the sake of having fun while getting a trophy and then, as many have mentioned, the second for the “Mines bigger than yours.” Granted, I know it’s not an actual conversation but imagine someone saying “Oh, I would never do that again, it took so long” The competitive side comes in and says “Oh man, I’m better than him and I’ll prove it” It depends on your mentality.

I ranted about this in a previous blog entry that the trophy system, while cool (I have spent some hours getting trophies) is really just another way for players to feel as though they have achieved something. If you add something incredibly crazy (like Late Boomer or A Billion Points) players go ape s**t over having something huge to show off.

I do agree however that the difficulty of these trophies and the status of trophy (Bronze, Silver, etc) that is achieved by performing these ridiculous acts should be a little more balanced but I don’t think developers would give us a trophy that is impossible to obtain. But I agree, I think a balance of trophies and requirements should be taken into consideration.

+ gardea on August 8th, 2008 at 9:11 am said:

Wow, earning those trophies will be hard. I like it! :)

+ Fersis on August 8th, 2008 at 9:12 am said:

@75 TouchyEd
Best analogy ever

+ amante on August 8th, 2008 at 9:18 am said:

Well, not trying to argue at all so don’t take it offensively, but I think if you (or anyone for that matter) can get so angry at a game that you start yelling and are overly frustrated, you need to stop playing and breathe and remember that IT’S A GAME. The only person frustrating you in yourself.

If you don’t get it in your first couple of tries, step away for awhile. It’s not hard, nor is it a matter of life and death. So why work yourself up?

+ Ad-Kemp on August 8th, 2008 at 9:19 am said:

Jeff just pwned LiQuiFiEdArT. Lol.

100% agree with your comment Jeff, i’m playing through Eden now and having an absolute blast getting all the trophies. And when I was doing SSHD, sure Late Boomer was a !?*&%. But it was helluva reward hearing that little ding and seeing trophy unlocked in the corner. I was cheering my ass off.

These PAIN trophies are gonna add so much replay value. At the moment, it is an awesome game, but there is nothing really to strive for. Now, there is everything to replay for.

Keep up the awesome work Jeff, Travis and all the guys there

Ad-Kemp

+ amante on August 8th, 2008 at 9:24 am said:

Haha. Damn Jeff. You’re kind of an a**hole. I love it.

Could you however (though I don’t really see this question getting answered) explain the logic behind the types of trophies that are achieved and the requirements for achieving them? As in, what really makes something that you do a bronze, silver, gold, or platinum trophy?

That is you have an idea of course.

+ saunderswan on August 8th, 2008 at 9:30 am said:

SWEET get some :D

+ DrunkMiffy@ on August 8th, 2008 at 9:32 am said:

Not trying to be a killjoy or anything, but 1 billion points? That’s only a handful of hardcore pain players who will get that..Surely they’re supposed to be achievable, but challenging at the same time? Personally I think that trophies a bit OTT ;/

+ Daver on August 8th, 2008 at 9:33 am said:

@90 liquifiedart

shut up ….. Jess is right

+ Daver on August 8th, 2008 at 9:33 am said:

Jeff sorry lol

+ amante on August 8th, 2008 at 9:37 am said:

@88

I see your point and agree. But to a point. In reality, 100% of people can obtain all the trophies. It just takes dedication, patience, and a little bit of luck, as was said previously.

I believe the idea behind “Expanding” the gaming experience is the idea that it invites gamers to do more than just play the game. It adds more than just play the game, beat the game, delete the game/trade it in. It invites gamers who have already beaten the game to come back and achieve something else. I believe they refer to it as replaying a game.

+ cmargary on August 8th, 2008 at 9:39 am said:

oookkk.. why the cheap PSN titles have more difficult almost impossible to earn trophies than expensive ones like warhawk, uncharted, bioshock and burnout? this will be more harder than eden :S

+ cmargary on August 8th, 2008 at 9:42 am said:

ok to clarify lol… what’s is really hard is the gold one, one billion points… I just get to 5 millions lol…

Travis Williams's Avatar

+ Travis Williams on August 8th, 2008 at 9:44 am said:

Hey everyone a few things. I am at Idol Minds right now (PAIN developer) and we are getting the last of the bugs out of the Amusement Park. I wanted to chime in about a few things….

Since there are more trophies in Amusement Park there are more trophies for PAIN when we add this support. The post is just what you will get if you don’t purchase the add-on pack. So it’s not like we REQUIRE you to buy more just to get trophies.

Oh yeah… Amusement Park is 5.99

The BILLION points is a cumulative point trophy. So after the trophy patch is installed we will tally your points until you reach a BILLION you won’t have to do that in one launch! It’s a long term trophy. I hope that clears things up a bit. It’s hard because you have to keep at it NOT because you have to score this in one shot. That would be beyond difficult and into INSANE. Yes I did admit I was crazy but not INSANE.

Some Trophies are hard to get because of the point value attached to them. We had no intention on making all PAIN trophies something you can get in an hour. Then the status of attaining them is negated. Trophies are supposed to be inherently “easy” especially not at the silver and gold level.

@Merovee: I’m really not sure why you are angry. You are part of the 1% you are talking about and I am not sure why you have beef. Are you saying the trophies are too easy or too hard. And what horrible implementation are you talking about? I think I am going to change my PSN saying to “Merovee still kinda sorta loves me”

@Liquidfiedart: Once again there needs to be a difficulty level attached to certain trophies. Some of them are really hard to get. That doesn’t make them invalid. There are people on the leaderboards: Juggalo and Mortal Sinner who have posted Mime Toss scores that put me to shame. Should the top dogs not have a way of showing how awesome they are? Clearly there are some people who play PAIN who are better than some the people who make PAIN. That’s not a bad thing. I hope the BILLION point issue is cleared up now.

There will be more trophies (like I said previously) as we create more environments and think of new things to accomplish. Like everything in PAIN these will be a combination of Development team input and end user input. So if you guys think of interesting trophy ideas let us know. We have taken this advice before when we made in game trophies so there is no reason why we wouldn’t listen when it came to other trophies.

+ JordanBlack68 on August 8th, 2008 at 9:46 am said:

Sweet and Jeff, yes trophies are challenging, achievements are not. Trophies are ace, I nearly got all trophies in Uncharted. And now PAIN is getting it, time to play it again!

Travis Williams's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 8th, 2008 at 10:25 am said:

Ah, you\’ve got 59% on Uncharted, not bad. And 19% on Buzz Quiz TV, which we don\’t have out yet in the states. I\’ll catch you!

+ PSPsGTghOost on August 8th, 2008 at 9:49 am said:

This is stupid. I was looking forward to the trophies in this game. But, they all seems too tough and hard to unlock even the bronze ones. This is really lame. You do know that the casual players play Pain too right?

Have some simpler to get trophies! So far the list sucks in my opinion.

+ Captain Fury on August 8th, 2008 at 9:52 am said:

Travis!

I want some monkey and granny avatars on the PSN (we need Pain avatars!)

hopefully you release that overture 1812 on the store (Chuck Carr did an awesome version)

+ Merovee on August 8th, 2008 at 9:58 am said:

No Travis, don’t take it all wrong, I do love the game, but since launch all of my friends, including some other hard core games have become disenfranchised. One of my biggest wishes for AP was that it would round out and balance the challenges and rewards to include all types, thus bringing more into the fold to play with in the on-line that is to come.
I intend to buy AP and DO enjoy Pain. But I do feel the way rewards and challenge is poised makes it nearly impossible for most gamers to care, which adversely affects me as they are the community I want to game with.
While no, I do not think everyone should be able to get all rewards, and meet all challenges, giving the challenges some sense of attainability through some curve and not a jump from insanely simple to just insane.

+ VixDiesel on August 8th, 2008 at 9:59 am said:

Great, more multiplayer trophies I can’t get cause no one here games. Please tell me online co-op/online play will be coming soon.

As for the difficulty of the trophies, I don’t care cause I haven’t entered trophy-whorism yet but it just bugs me when dev’s include multiplayer trophies when not everyone has friends that play games we do.

I haven’t been able to touch any of the multiplayer modes yet and cause of that i haven’t played pain much like i probably would have.

+ leetfoo on August 8th, 2008 at 10:02 am said:

Travis-
How can you possibly consider this bronze? I get a headache just thinking about it.

-Foo

+ cmargary on August 8th, 2008 at 10:04 am said:

Hey Travis.. good to see you here… sooo is accumulative? then isn’t hard then lol… thanks for let us know… I really though it was in one launch.

+ LiQuiFiEdArT on August 8th, 2008 at 10:07 am said:

The idea of being a “Completionist” or “Explorative”.

But i guess then you rule out those people that want to “Show off”. Well, in all honesty that attitude doesnt really benefit teh community it just causes conflict. (I know because I started like that with a friend) until he jus said, forget it these are just assanine to get. Then there was no fun in it anymore. I rather be reward for Exploring all corners of a map and finding things or Doing things differently I.E. uncharted.

For instance, “Blow up a barrel Before you grab onto the Train”

now that would be a good trophy. things like that.

+ LiQuiFiEdArT on August 8th, 2008 at 10:09 am said:

Heres another, “Ride on a car down a full block”

There could be a ton of unique ideas that could be difficult but not unaccessible to those who want to shoot for them.

+ XxBigP123xX on August 8th, 2008 at 10:11 am said:

“Harder Dick’s Balls”

wat

+ StalkingSilence on August 8th, 2008 at 10:12 am said:

Jeff please close that can of whoopass.

Travis Williams's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 8th, 2008 at 10:27 am said:

Done. I do love it when someone \’ends\’ their rant, and then comments (literally) 12 more times on a post. Take it to the boards!

+ JBruno on August 8th, 2008 at 10:31 am said:

Amusement Park 5.99 value is nice for me.

+ iTubeP on August 8th, 2008 at 10:40 am said:

Trophies….Hard…Like…A….Nvm
But thanks for the partial list!