Street Fighter V

Aug 12

Who’s Going to PAX?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Aug 12, 2008 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Well, *we* are, but you already knew that. Following up on the success of our first ever PlayStation.Blog Reader Meetup at E3, we’re considering holding another event during the Penny Arcade Expo later this month.

So who out there is going to be in Seattle at the end of the month? Would you be up for some free food (and coffee, presumably), games, and meeting some of your fellow PlayStation fans?

Thanks to all who came out!

And if so, where should we hold it? Which developer-types should I beg to attend? Which PSP game should we network together for competition?

PSP @ King Taco

And should there be a mandatory 90’s Seattle grunge dress code and soundtrack featuring Mudhoney, Alice in Chains and Screaming Trees? I’ll go ahead and pencil in a “No” for that one.

Let me know, we’re doing this for you.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ xplosneer on August 12th, 2008 at 6:29 pm said:

Hey Jeff, how bout using that nifty “poll” feature of the blog after you get a few ideas ;)

+ K2016 on August 12th, 2008 at 6:33 pm said:

How about doing something that’s not on the west coast?
How about Texas? Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio?? The Austin GDC is here next months.. There’s a lot gaming in Texas…

Anyways, I hope to see this covered.

+ funtownarcade on August 12th, 2008 at 6:38 pm said:

I’ll be at PAX, as long as its not at the same time as the 1up meetup I’ll check it out!

+ PirateThom on August 12th, 2008 at 6:41 pm said:

Jeff, you’re not a fan of Mudhoney, Screaming Trees and Alice in Chains are you? Because I say “yes” to that soundtrack, I forgot to mention. :P

+ babybluedb on August 12th, 2008 at 7:17 pm said:

nice just great yet another confrence or meeting i cant make it to

+ Ghostm on August 12th, 2008 at 7:45 pm said:

Hey Jeff,

I noticed you were answering a few questions. So I thought I’d give it a shot. Can you guys please take a close look at the PSN Friend List? Ever since FW 2.41, me and a couple of others list have been acting erratic/crazy. Friend messages are going to multiple inboxes. It’s doing some super weird stuff. Its totally wacky and it’s driving me up the wall.

“Please fix this bug as soon as possible”

Thank you in advance for you time.

+ TheApprentice on August 12th, 2008 at 7:46 pm said:

Wish I could go….
But living in the Caribbean kinda cuts me out of all the fun…

Blog posts ftw…

+ maxerus on August 12th, 2008 at 8:22 pm said:

WOOT!! Ive been dieing to meet some real PS3 fans here in the M$ capitol of the world.
I Live in Lake Stevens and work in Bellvue.
So you KNOW ill be there!

This may be a cool place if its close enough.

For a Dev type id LOVE to meet someone from DC online or LBP!

But as far as the psp game goes i cant really say since my 1 year old son broke my psp :(

+ b-coli on August 12th, 2008 at 8:48 pm said:

i live in seattle but due to a surgery scheduled a few days before PAX , i will not be attending but know a bunch that will. i remember when it was a very small thing back in the day.

as for venue, depends on what you are lookin to do, there are tons of places, give me an idea of what you are looking for, everyone could cram into one of the 1500 starbucks and use up all their bandwidth, haha, but seriously there are places all over, like dick’s drive in on queen anne (a few blocks from the space needle). seattle center, convention center… etc…

as for the naysayers. is you city a tech kinda place? are your towns full of tech geeks? maybe that is why they are doing it here, think about it, microsoft is based here and let me tell you, not all employees of MS like x-bot 360 at all (me being one) i hate it, and am VERY happy sony will be here. i get sick of all the MS fanboys here. ANNOYING ! ! ! always askin why i don’t have an x-bot360… um… IT SUCKS !!! it crashes all the time like windows, and the worst of all , the controllers are pure garbage!!!! enough of that rant. but when your city gets big tech companies, maybe, just maybe you might get an expo, if you want one bad enough, start your own company and draw people there. haha good luck.

and to the cali dude that said something about directions to seattle “drive north til you are miserable” more like drive north til you can actually breathe clean air!!! people who knock it haven’t been here and thats fine , stay where you are :o) we like it that way, don’t need more people moving here.

and lastly, it cracks me up you use sly as your pic. especially since sucker punch is located IN seattle!!!

+ Xulap on August 12th, 2008 at 9:03 pm said:

I’d LOVE to go there, but I’m from Puerto Rico.

When are you guys coming to PR? They make some good events here, sometimes. I remember one promoted by GameStop.. Forgot the name. You should give us a visit.

I could pay the food, as a reward for the long trip. :D

+ Fallen_Guardian on August 12th, 2008 at 9:16 pm said:

no love for minnesota…

+ BZKlint on August 12th, 2008 at 10:50 pm said:

To far for me to go. Especially being 17.
Maybe if the PlayStation Blog met up in Boston :)
Eagles Deli has a contest where if you eat the biggest burger they got, they name it after you. The PlayStation Burger! :D

+ erico316 on August 12th, 2008 at 11:53 pm said:

nyc is where you guys need to be coming!!!!

+ erico316 on August 13th, 2008 at 12:03 am said:

no other state is bigger then ny jeff why is ny left out of gaming events?we even have our own comic con,car show,a tv show(a place where we can hand on time with the latest TV such as 3d TV and smell o vision are cool tech cannot wait for these).

+ LeslieSony on August 13th, 2008 at 1:15 am said:

how to get

+ LeslieSony on August 13th, 2008 at 1:18 am said:

funny game

+ LeslieSony on August 13th, 2008 at 1:18 am said:

good game

+ kingofscotland on August 13th, 2008 at 2:34 am said:

Read the bolg every day but just signed up today so sick of not being able to comment (god that was painless).

Anyway can’t make it to Seattle but hope to catch up with you all in the future.

Keep up the good work – you sure know the true meaning of ‘community’

+ kingofscotland on August 13th, 2008 at 2:35 am said:

sorry – blog.

+ iReyz on August 13th, 2008 at 4:17 am said:

With what camera were these shots taken?

Cybershot maybe? HMMM XD

+ Demonbear on August 13th, 2008 at 5:09 am said:

Hey Jeff, again wont be able to be there, being in Quebec, Canada but i wish i could! You should shoot videos of the event this time so we can all enjoy the action a bit!

As a suggestion, it’s a longshot but since japanese are so crazy of the Monster Hunter Series on the PSP, i’d recommend it, hunting in group is awesome.

Maybe in a couple of months we’ll have Phantasy Star Portable as well? That’d be awesome.

Have fun in Seattle!

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on August 13th, 2008 at 6:16 am said:

No Jeff but keep the East Coast in mind next time please! Specially Atlanta! I hope you guys post more pictures from the get together this time.

+ thingg on August 13th, 2008 at 7:11 am said:

Are there any gaming events in New York? I live like 120 miles away, but that’s a lot better than driving to Seattle for me.

+ joel on August 13th, 2008 at 7:56 am said:

Yes I agree with everyone, you guys should come to south florida.

+ Stoffinator on August 13th, 2008 at 8:26 am said:

With all this talk of meeting in Florida, can I get one for Toronto Ontario Canada in the future? :-p Come on Jeff, I’m on your friends list. lol

+ saintfighteraqua on August 13th, 2008 at 8:55 am said:

I’m hoping their are some big PSP announcements at Pax! Something to shock us all!

+ Charliesdad on August 13th, 2008 at 9:26 am said:

@10 Jeff,
Can’t wait to here more, I’ll probably only attend one day of PAX, so knowing when the event gets scheduled will make that decision easier. As far as a venue, I don’t really know Seattle very well at all, sorry. BUT…maybe Sony could hire a new Pacific Northwest PR/Advance man to help facilitate events in the area in the future? Huh? Huh? :-)

+ Hanaka on August 13th, 2008 at 9:32 am said:

Hey Everyone! Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it. This is all new to me since I just bought my first pS3 :D. If anyone can make it PM me or send me an email: I am looking for a specific ingame passcode that they are giving out for free @ booth # 642. Thanks all!

+ bigdaddyjane on August 13th, 2008 at 9:45 am said:

I’ll be here on the BLOG!

+ lokar82 on August 13th, 2008 at 10:09 am said:

@31, awesome idea. I will be at PAX and that would be great to meet Steve Wiebe, plus a friend I am going with hasn’t seen King of Kong yet. Also please stick with Hot Shots Golf for your PSP game, I suck at other PSP games and really, how many people at PAX also attended your E3 gathering?

+ mobiletone on August 13th, 2008 at 11:04 am said:

Penny Arcade are a bunch of sneering M$ loving PS hating fanboys.. WHY the hell would you have anything to do with them???

+ TwinsDad on August 13th, 2008 at 11:04 am said:

Awesome. Count me in already have my 3day pass. Last year was a blast, getting to play a few games before release (Lair, HS, Warhawk, etc.) really made PAX for me.

You might have a hard time find a large place to gather, as with PAX and Bumbershoot being in town. I’ll think of where to meet. The best place might be down near Pike’s Place, there are tons of places down there and no to far away.

Not sure if your familiar with Downtown Seattle, but keep in mind that there is a “fairless” area in downtown. You cna hop on a bus for free and take it anywhere in the downtown area within this area. It make getting to some places easy.

Oh, I have an idea. There is a food court that has plenty of seating in Pacific Place Mall, which is a few blocks away.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on August 14th, 2008 at 10:23 am said:

Thanks TwinsDad, we\’re looking at a couple of places – and seeing how crazy things are (with PAX going until like 3am), we might do a coffee/breakfast thing. Right now, leaning towards Saturday morning to get everyone caffeinated for the longest day of PAXness.

+ Charliesdad on August 14th, 2008 at 10:28 am said:

Two things. One…I realized I used “here” instead of “hear” in my earlier post…I’m sure it doesn’t matter to anyone else, but it’s the kind of thing that keeps me awake at night (I know, I have issues).
Two…I spoke to people who know Seattle better than I and suggested two places to look into for the event. One The Cheesecake Factory, it’s downtown near the convention center and Two The Crab Pot…it’s near Pike Place Market and is a big, smash open your own shellfish that’s been cooked in a pot and dumped out on your table place.
Hope this helps some.

+ StalkingSilence on August 14th, 2008 at 12:50 pm said:

If the PS Blog office webcam goes live, will you be wearing a purple shirt everyday?

+ Korlithiel on August 14th, 2008 at 2:46 pm said:

Hope to hear more details soon so I can plan accordingly.

As for multiplayer games, got nothing other then Tekken: Dark Resurrection I can recommend since I haven’t logged any hours into the newer games (Monster Hunter Freedom 2, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops) and the only other I can recall (Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2) is in the mail so I may not have it by the time this starts.

Look forward to hearing more, should definitely be fun.

+ Stoffinator on August 14th, 2008 at 5:06 pm said:

So Jeff, any chance of a trip to Toronto Ontario? Come on, you know you wanna. :-p

+ prowlingfox on August 14th, 2008 at 11:38 pm said:

I’m not anywhere near seattle, but i totally support these kinds of events…i miss e3 :( i went one year and then was never able to get in again :(

+ ThomasAnthony on August 15th, 2008 at 6:14 pm said:

Call me when a Chicago-based event happens.

+ dunk_13 on August 16th, 2008 at 7:32 am said:

why cant SCEE do anything like this in england.

it just feels like SCEA do so much better all the time

+ redbaron787 on August 16th, 2008 at 9:34 am said:

you forgot soundgarden >:(

+ hayejos on August 16th, 2008 at 7:25 pm said:

@144 I too hope they do something in the Midwest, I can’t think of any tech/gaming events that would relate, but maybe (and hopefully) they could go to Chicago for the World Series

+ scratchh on August 17th, 2008 at 9:19 am said:

I’m in Seattle and planning/hoping to make it to PAX with my wife and 6 week old baby… i’d definitely be interested in a meet-up; there is a chance we won’t make it, but i’m going to try.

not sure where the best place to meet would be. don’t do gameworks – way too loud/expensive.

i’ve got a question for you: is LittleBigPlanet for sure going to be at PAX? because that is the one thing that is driving me and my wife and baby to come on out! anything LBP related at the meet-up would be awesome.

+ TheGrue on August 17th, 2008 at 3:33 pm said:

Definitely going to be there all three days. The Sony booth was great last year, especially with the Uncharted treasure hunt thing. I have my framed artwork hanging right on my wall. Hopefully you guys bring Little Big Planet and Resistance 2 along.

+ E-Co on August 17th, 2008 at 6:11 pm said:

E-Co: I think that as a troop there should be a sprint option when you are running. That would help when you are trying to overtake an enemy! You have a turbo boost in a Warkawk. Why not a quick burst of speed when you need it? Maybe the next update could add that one in!

+ weeence on August 17th, 2008 at 8:16 pm said:

I will definitely be at PAX this year. Rumor has it that the Penny Arcade guys will be planning a East Coast PAX sometime in the future.

Breakfast sounds like a great idea! I will definitely try to make it up for some grub. Being from Canada I’m not familiar with down town Seattle but there must be a place that would accommodate for those coming for breakfast gaming.

Some games that I think most PSP owners might or should own are Wipeout Pulse, Burnout Legends, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, GTA Liberty City, Ridge Racer, Killzone Liberation, Lumines 1 or 2 and Metal Gear Portable Ops. I’m only good at SFA 3 Max but I own the rest.

+ thuway on August 17th, 2008 at 9:13 pm said:

I’ll be going to PAX. I’ll meet up definetely!

PAGE 1 2 3 4