PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PS3 Music Peripheral Compatibility Update

Michael Shorrock's Avatar + Posted by Michael Shorrock on Aug 18, 2008 // Director of 3rd Party Relations, SCEA

Hi everybody, Michael Shorrock, here. I’m the Director of Publisher Relations here at SCEA. I work closely with all of the publishers and developers who create games for all PlayStation platforms. While SCEA had a ton of great announcements at E3, I’m excited to say, we have one more for today, one that I know a lot of you have been asking about:

For the past several months, we have been working closely with Neversoft and Activision, Harmonix and Konami to ensure that PlayStation 3 guitars and drum sets will all feature a basic level of gameplay compatibility.

For the most part, this means that the titles with musical peripherals will work with the other’s software. A few specific examples include: Guitar Hero: World Tour’s guitars and drums will work with Rock Band 2 and Konami’s Rock Revolution software.

And yes, you guessed it, Rock Band 2’s guitar and drum set will work with Guitar Hero: World Tour and with Rock Revolution.

Conversely, Rock Revolution’s drum set will work with both Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band 2.

In addition, Guitar Hero: World Tour and Rock Band 2 will both support the SingStar microphones.

We’re still working hard to ensure compatibility between the Guitar Hero and Rock Band titles currently on the market, and we hope to have an announcement on that shortly.

Of course each of these great games have their own specific cool features that may not be compatible with the other controllers, but this is our first big step in bringing a level of compatibility to music games that is sure to benefit PlayStation 3 consumers.

Keep an eye out here for more information in the future.

169 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ ftwrthtx on August 18th, 2008 at 9:05 am said:

Very nice to hear this.

Thank you!

+ depward on August 18th, 2008 at 9:06 am said:

This is quite a relief. Thanks for the hard work to get those future peripherals compatible!

+ Comatoes on August 18th, 2008 at 9:08 am said:

+ ThAGriZZ45 on August 18th, 2008 at 9:08 am said:

Yes now I dont have to spend a thousand dollars buying every piece of equipment for every game!

Thank you Michael. =)

+ Jaz619 on August 18th, 2008 at 9:09 am said:

Sounds good! Can’t wait for RockBand 2.

But I have a question: Will there ever be In-Game-Music for almost all PS3 games or even will there be more patches to place In-Game-Music into games, example GTA 4 or MGS4?

+ Stinkin Mushroom on August 18th, 2008 at 9:10 am said:

Is my PS2 game compatible with my PS3 ..

+ GGCAN on August 18th, 2008 at 9:10 am said:

Thanks….didn’t see in your post if Rock Band 1 will work with Rock Band 2 though ?

I’ve read an article that mentioned that for a small fee, it would be compatible with the older version of Rock Band.

Is this true ?

+ Kxpuc27 on August 18th, 2008 at 9:11 am said:

in other news: More POLLS!

+ stewey on August 18th, 2008 at 9:11 am said:

Sweet! This will definitely save me some money!

+ Makasu on August 18th, 2008 at 9:11 am said:

Regarding PS3 Music Format Compatibility it would be nice to be able to play lossless music on the ps3. Flac’s for instance…

+ Legendbyname on August 18th, 2008 at 9:12 am said:

Rock Band 1 instruments will work for Rock Band 2 across all systems.

This is great news, thanks for clearing this all up

+ Aaron on August 18th, 2008 at 9:13 am said:

Thank you Michael! :)

+ aoikaze on August 18th, 2008 at 9:14 am said:

@5

yeah… it’ll kick a$$ if you can listen to your music using snake’s ipod or something :P

+ chasegamez on August 18th, 2008 at 9:15 am said:

GREAT NEWS

+ TouchyEd on August 18th, 2008 at 9:16 am said:

This news would be a little more exciting if they could guarantee that all the instruments WE’VE ALREADY PURCHASED would get compatibility between the various games.

Doesn’t thrill me to know that I’ll have to rebuy stuff just to get something that works with all the games (since I already own three guitars and a drum set).

You’re “working on it”?? Harmonix had a patch ready months and months ago.

+ Torgo on August 18th, 2008 at 9:16 am said:

That’s GREAT news!!!!!

+ Toast on August 18th, 2008 at 9:19 am said:

Great to hear…my room is was going to be way to cluttered if I needed to keep buying Plastic instruments =D

+ SantanaClaus89 on August 18th, 2008 at 9:19 am said:

If you guys can make the Guitar Hero III/Aerosmith guitars compatible with Rock Band I’ll be quite the happy camper.

Glad to hear you’re working on it, and glad to hear that future titles won’t be plagued by these compatibility issues. I want to play all these games, but I don’t want to have to pay for or store 3 different sets of guitars and drums.

+ BHard on August 18th, 2008 at 9:19 am said:

This is great news …. having to buy a different guitar with each game was a turn off for me. Think this needs to happen. I also hope we can play all the song’s we’ve downloaded from the PSN to work in Rock Band 2.

+ Adamalicious on August 18th, 2008 at 9:20 am said:

Will the original Rock Band instruments work for GH: World Tour?

+ Cypher-Ghost on August 18th, 2008 at 9:21 am said:

Awesome thanks alot!! keep it up Sony!

+ Muitnorts on August 18th, 2008 at 9:21 am said:

Awesome, this is a huge relief…

Although i noticed that you mentioned Rock Band 2′s drums will work with Guitar Hero World Tour. I thought that the Guitar Hero drums had an extra pad or something so I’m interested to see how that works (unless I’m just completely wrong about the drum set differences)

+ vandam on August 18th, 2008 at 9:22 am said:

Tell them to stop making download’s every week and start making Blueray disc some people’s HDD are about gone by now. And there probly is $100+ worth of download’s on PSN.

+ ISEMAN on August 18th, 2008 at 9:22 am said:

This issues has kept me from getting these games on the PS3 up to this point. Great to see these problems getting addressed. Once things stabilize I’ll be sure to buy the peripherals I think are best and enjoy all the games with them. Please make sure to keep us up to date on the status!!!

+ offdah3z on August 18th, 2008 at 9:22 am said:

good news for rock band/gh fans.

+ Prezhulio on August 18th, 2008 at 9:25 am said:

Michael, this is great news and I’m very happy these issues are being resolved. But one big question…..

Will Rock Band 1 peripherals work with GH:WT and Rock Revolution? There is no mention of this compatibility. I understand there is a struggle for currently released rock band and guitar hero peripheral compatibility, but is anything going to be done for these older peripherals working with new games (besides rock band 1 working with rock band 2 and guitar hero guitars working with guitar hero world tour)?

Thanks a lot!

+ darkiewonder on August 18th, 2008 at 9:25 am said:

I have no way of playing Guitar Hero 2 on my ps3 ;( as still there’s no working USB adapter that allows full use of the guitar.

+ mywhitenoise on August 18th, 2008 at 9:27 am said:

Damn! They JUST had the GH3 guitar on amazon for $25 on Friday, I would have bought it had I known it was going to work with Rock Band.

+ Toast on August 18th, 2008 at 9:31 am said:

Quick Question, you said GH3 and RB won’t work with each other yet, do you know if RB set will work with GH:WT?

+ theownerz on August 18th, 2008 at 9:34 am said:

+ verybadbeetle on August 18th, 2008 at 9:36 am said:

Thank you Michael and the whole Publisher Relations team at SCEA. This has been one of the stumbling blocks for me and these games. I am very happy to hear that you guys are working on the compatibility issue. Thanks for all of your hard work. It is very much appreciated!

+ jasoncourt on August 18th, 2008 at 9:37 am said:

:))…not only great news but THANK YOU so much for both being involved in that process and informing us on it.

+ SeWICX on August 18th, 2008 at 9:47 am said:

I love PS blog..

PLEase fix Framerate in GTA Iv ..
And start making games with 30 + frames per second.. thats what we need.. Far cry 2 graphics and high framerate in all games.. tahts what Ps3 needs.!

+ billsk8 on August 18th, 2008 at 9:48 am said:

good news for the 2 people who are going to buy rock revolution

+ StalkingSilence on August 18th, 2008 at 9:50 am said:

Nice to know you all are actively pursuing this despite it not really having a huge impact on sales this iteration. If this was a little more clear cut, I’d consider making my first purchase in the genre. Currently I only have SingStar but not Rock Band or Guitar Hero III.

+ StalkingSilence on August 18th, 2008 at 9:51 am said:

This is probably best news for another company – say Logitech – who doesn’t even make any games. Just so they can make universal music genre peripherals that span multiple games and are better made than the others.

+ muka3d on August 18th, 2008 at 9:57 am said:

Finally, we have a company that cares! Thank you very much Sony, and the PS3 team!

Here’s hoping that my Rock Band instruments will work with Guitar Hero: World Tour!

+ alexbhp on August 18th, 2008 at 9:58 am said:

This is great news, since I have the Rock Band bundle and the Guitar Hero game (without the Guitar) I have not played the GHIII yet.

+ Bastard11 on August 18th, 2008 at 10:01 am said:

Wow.. glad someone was able to talk some sense into Activision. I might consider buying future Guitar Hero games now that I won’t need to buy new guitars. Seriously I have 4 plastic guitars in my house now (2 x PS2 GH, 2 x PS3 RB).. I do NOT need any more.

Now here is the part where I beg you guys not to overlook backwards compatibility too. I hate having to play my old PS2 Guitar Hero games on my daughter’s 13 inch TV (I gave her the PS2 when I got my 60GB PS3.)

If I could play my PS2 Guitar Hero games on my PS3 with my Rock Band guitar I’d be one very happy camper.

+ dbowlin21 on August 18th, 2008 at 10:07 am said:

Will Guitar Hero World Tour and Rock Band 2 microphones be compatible with Sing Star? Also will my Guitar Hero 3 guitar be compatible with Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero World Tour?

+ thatd1dnthurt on August 18th, 2008 at 10:08 am said:

So when will Sing Star work with the Rock Band and other 3rd party mics? I rented Sing Star and tried to use it with the Rock Band mic with no luck. I don’t need 2 microphones and I already have a mic that works just fine – so I just chose not to purchase the game. Please let me know if this has changed.

+ thatd1dnthurt on August 18th, 2008 at 10:10 am said:

Curious, will the Rock Band guitar work with GH3 yet? My buddy gave me GH3 but no guitar – RB’s guitar didn’t work last time i tried.

+ lakaihigh on August 18th, 2008 at 10:10 am said:

VERY good to know! thanks Michael. that’ll def make my wallet a lot happier.

peace,
Lh

+ SpeedNut on August 18th, 2008 at 10:10 am said:

Mike,

If you’re ever on the East Coast, let us know, this is a free beer worthy post!

It’s a shame this couldn’t have been orchestrated up front, but I’m glad to see SCEA take the lead and get these peripherals on the same page, we all appreciate it!

+ ph15h on August 18th, 2008 at 10:12 am said:

-_- Now I gotta decide which set I should buy. I was kind of set on the RB2, but now I don’t know since I’m low on cash for the Ion drumset and the standard World Tour drums might be better for me than the standard RB2. =/ What to buy… what to buy

*sigh* Is it sad that nobody is commenting on Rock Revolution? lol

+ outkast32 on August 18th, 2008 at 10:21 am said:

Great News! this doesnt affect me as i dont own any of those games.

***PS3 Firmware update suggestions***

1) Upgrade Web browser and flashplayer to 9. (possible instead of using the current switch to a low ram using other Firefox/ opera)

2)Roll out home closed beta to ONLY and all people that are signed up for the fourms and are active. this way it is a smaller amount of people than random choosing out of every ps3 owner. and the people are obviously into the playstation 3 product.

+ Atoms on August 18th, 2008 at 10:24 am said:

Although I don’t play the music games it still sound very helpful. Keep the announcements coming.

+ Dr. Strangepork on August 18th, 2008 at 10:25 am said:

Yeah, I just sold GH II & III for PS2 and traded in the guitar that came with II b/c they wouldn’t “work” on PS3. The games may be compatible, but the controllers are not. And I hear the controllers are a big part of the game.

I might have an excuse to buy RB2 now, but it isn’t an automatic purchase. Maybe the SingStar microphones will give me a head start.

+ Spaceghost4284 on August 18th, 2008 at 10:26 am said:

I’m glad to see that Sony had a hand in making this arrangement happen! Now let’s send you over to mediate some peace between Georgia and Russia!

+ Money1 on August 18th, 2008 at 10:29 am said:

GOOD JOB!!! Now I’ll totally be gettin these games seeing as how I’ll only need 1 set of instuments.

PAGE 1 2 3 4