Paragon

Aug 20

Aug 20

Legendary WipEout franchise coming to PSN with WipEout HD – Details here

Daimion Pinnock's Avatar Posted by Producer, SCEA

Hello, Readers. Daimion here and I’m excited today to release some details on WipEout HD, coming to PLAYSTATION Network this fall. We’ve been mum on WipEout HD recently – keeping many of you in serious suspense, I know – but that doesn’t mean we haven’t been cranking away at bringing you an awesome anti-gravity racing game in 1080p HD!

WipEout HD will feature a selection of the best tracks taken from previous versions of this iconic franchise that have been reworked to show-off the graphical capabilities of PS3. But don’t take my word for it, if you want to see how good WipEout HD in 1080p and at 60 frames-per-second, check out the video below:

WipEout HD will give you the chance to take on the greatest anti-grav racers in the world with plenty of online racing modes and even offline too, with HD’s two-player split-screen mode. Up to 8 racers can battle online in a range of online races. And with Trophy Support (whuuuuuut, Trophy support, you say?!?), which I know everyone is really excited about, this is definitely your chance to grab bragging rights online. More to come on Trophies soon, don’t you worry….

WipEout HD WipEout HD

And for an additional challenge in WipEout HD, you can opt to use the SIXAXIS motion controls to steer their ship while blasting away opponents with the full arsenal of weapons. With lots of teams/ships to choose from, plenty of on and offline racing modes, crazy-fast HD racing and a remixed Dolby 5.1 surround sound soundtrack, your adrenaline will be pumping in no time. Trust me. And even though we think you’ll love the soundtrack, but in case you love your own music collection more, you can create a custom playlist on the PS3 XMB and listen to it while you race. Niiiiiiiice, right?!

WipEout HD WipEout HD WipEout HD WipEout HD

For more game info check out www.WipEoutHD.com. We’ll be back with more on WipEout HD in the coming weeks, including the details on trophies, price, and release date – see keep your eyes peeled for more here on the PS Blog!

Add Your Own

Wiscompton said:

August 20th, 12:14 pm

Sorry. I don’t get hyped for ps3 exclusives until 10 days to a release date and pictures of accidentally released games hit the market as seen with GTA4 & MGS4. The well is dry with me my beloved friend. I will likely purchase, but not if it coincides with LBP, R2 etc. And normal people don’t consider the month of November and beyond “Fall” -just the marketing departments of the world.

I love Wipeout on the PSP, I have no reason to belive this will be any different.

Flashback Jack said:

August 20th, 12:20 pm

I’m not buying HD unless Studio Liverpool kicks Sony in the tail and releases the Wipeout Pulse add-on packs to the North American market. We’re still waiting, you know.

– F

outkast32 said:

August 20th, 12:35 pm

how much? 20 40 60 bucks???

Wip3ou7 said:

August 20th, 12:38 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have been waiting for this game SINCE THE DAY I FIRST HEARD ABOUT PS3! I LOVE WIPEOUT THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!

whoelse said:

August 20th, 12:41 pm

This is great news! The inclusion of trophies and soundtracks just made this game even more exciting.

THATPSPGUY said:

August 20th, 12:42 pm

I guess I’ll have to stick with my ps3 nes emulator until that comes out……

Kedaro said:

August 20th, 12:47 pm

So many companies, and indy groups are getting their “poop in a group” lately it’s making my head spin, great job guys, I hope again you all are another example to be followed as truly every game released should support both trophies & custom soundtracks.

Kedaro said:

August 20th, 12:50 pm

Yea at this point all we need is a price point if possible.

Kenshin001 said:

August 20th, 12:50 pm

Hurry up and release the [DELETED] thing. The next few months are going to be crammed with games and there will be little time to play them all, not to mention limited budgets, meaning there is a chance people will bypass Wipeout. Two weeks tops, no more delays, no more procrastination, get it out there.

DevilHunterDante said:

August 20th, 12:50 pm

Awesome cant wait!

DG said:

August 20th, 12:51 pm

I can not wait. Hopefully I’ll get my PS3 back before this is released.

JuniorPS said:

August 20th, 12:58 pm

@Flashback Jack

Amen bro! HD and the Pulse DLC should be a PSN update combo. Let’s call it… WipEout Week!

No, really Sony, I want my Pulse fix and I’m willing to pay for it :)

Juben said:

August 20th, 1:00 pm

@outkast32
I’m going to say 39.99 or 40, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the full price. For the quality this game will be putting out and fun factor for many people their first set of trophies and then custom soundtracks it will be in demand. Economy or not people will pay for this. Looks to be a very interesting buy.

The only thing that conerns me is the limited amount of tracks. Hopefully they will have more in the future. Or maybe differnet paths on the tracks change it up midrace or something. I’d be happy with 15 or 20 tracks total different challenges 180% turns and various goofy challenges while avoiding total destruction.

Looks very very good. To those that cannot get PSN cards not sure where you are but I have been able to get them all over the east coast.(NYC, Camden, Waldorf(MD), oceanfront Virginia Beach(VA), Columbia(SC), Tampa bay, Altanta) If you have any problems and you are near these areas post and I’ll give you the store location to pick them up ^.^ Oh yeah reason I know all the spots do a lot of traveling lol

My one question any chance of releasing it to those that want a physical copy compared to just a download?

GothPunk said:

August 20th, 1:05 pm

Thanks for the update, this is a definite day one purchase. Great to see a game I really want confirmed to have trophies AND custom soundtracks. How I love Studio Liverpool.

Nitrowolf2 said:

August 20th, 1:07 pm

so how much will it be

Spaceghost4284 said:

August 20th, 1:11 pm

So Fall means early next year right? Oye…make an announcement when you got a release date!

001 said:

August 20th, 1:14 pm

Me want wipeout HD. Me crush tall buildings.

Zorox said:

August 20th, 1:17 pm

Fall? So basically it’s going to be a year late?

DreadPillow said:

August 20th, 1:19 pm

Wow, this game looks great! If it’s 10-15 dollars im gonna buy it first day, maybe even if its 20! Please be in that price range! Money can still be made selling it cheap! I own wipeout 3 for ps1 and still play it occasionally, I would love to experience my favorite tracks in hd! I think you should also provide a demo for those who haven’t played it yet.

decimalator said:

August 20th, 1:20 pm

Very good stuff! Looking forward to it (still)!

Half_life000111 said:

August 20th, 1:20 pm

awsome…. I’m soo glad we get to hear some news on this game… it doesn’t look as bright but still amazing !!!!

DevonTheDude said:

August 20th, 1:25 pm

Remote play would be amazing too, please Sony…

ganez4life said:

August 20th, 1:28 pm

Remote play would be great for this game, doubt it now though, heres to hoping to…

This has been in the making from the exact same time home was announced and there both coming out around the same time now.. pretty good, is there any home support?

Also i thought this was meant to be a small thing but its turned out to be pretty big for you guys, do you guys see this as a full game or a teaser to what we can expect for the next wipeout? use have set the bar pretty high so trying to beat it for the next wipeout will be hard…

perrandy said:

August 20th, 1:33 pm

this game looks awesome, but i wonder if it supports 720p/1080i,also i would like to know its pricing and finally, i want to know when the psn cards are going to come to my local retailer

scratchh said:

August 20th, 1:37 pm

im stoked for this game. the original wipeout on ps1 was one of the first PS games I played. This looks awesome – the 60 fps is much appreciated. all other wipeout games i’ve played suffered from slow-down at one point or another (im looking at you shockwave), here’s hoping for none of that. the trophies and custom soundtracks are delicious icing on the proverbial cake!

Enigma777 said:

August 20th, 1:38 pm

Hell yeah! I love Wipeout! I still play Pulse on my psp! Can’t wait for this!

P.S. If anyone wants to have an online Pulse cession send me a message

Darkdrium777 said:

August 20th, 1:40 pm

You guys just can’t believe how happy you just made me! :D
Day one purchase! YES! That trailer was awesome, I’m waiting for the HD trailer on the PS3 PS-Store. ;) A new trailer to watch over a million times on an HDTV, that’s pure win!

Also as a side note I think you just set http://www.wipeoutzone.com on fire xD

About the Pulse DLC we are still waiting for them though. I guess that this is the only negative to this whole situation. Please release Pulse DLC!

nerfgun said:

August 20th, 1:42 pm

You guys are KILLING ME here.

KILLING me.

I’ve been waiting for this fricking game since Wipeout 3 on the PS1.

RELEASE DATE

GIVE US THE RELEASE DATE

RELEEEEEEEASE IT FOR THE LUVVA GOD

Zaku said:

August 20th, 1:52 pm

Wow, the game looks great guys :) Definitely one I’m going to pick up in the future :)

Expat said:

August 20th, 1:57 pm

Excellent news, it looks the wait has been worth it. I can’t wait to play this

SDkngsht said:

August 20th, 2:22 pm

EASILY the best thing to happen to future racers since the original F-Zero.

there is NOTHING bad to be said about this game. WipeOut is STILL played regularly on my PSP and this new HD version could possibly be the single greatest future racer of all time.

patiently waiting for the release day.

reesimo said:

August 20th, 2:36 pm

Do Want!!

Ghostm said:

August 20th, 2:50 pm

I wonder which of these two softwares will be out first. WipEout HD or Home. Thanks for the update but I’ll hold on to my excitement until I can buy it. Will WipEout HD be available on bluray also?

I still cant believe that LBP is going to be release before PS Home. That’s a damn shame.

stennex said:

August 20th, 3:01 pm

Great looking game at 1080p sorry to those who only have 720p. If Sony were more aggressive in the LCD market they would have ordained 1080p is where its at and cut out the bull. By the end of the year Directv and possibly Comcast will be broadcasting 1080p shows. WOW. Walmart anyone?

ThAGriZZ45 said:

August 20th, 3:18 pm

GREAT NEWS!

I’ve been waiting for this game for awhile now. I remember when I played the first game on this demo disc I got in the mail. I could never stop playing it. and now it looks amazing with all the features you would expect from a playstation network game.

I’m blown away.

bazookajoe290 said:

August 20th, 3:27 pm

Will the soundtrack be released on psn store? I love the music in the game and I would like to purchase the soundtrack.

Dave702 said:

August 20th, 3:28 pm

this is cool i can’t wait to buy it how much will it cost? and by when?

gamer812 said:

August 20th, 3:28 pm

A bit sad that it’s coming out in the fall with all the other games coming out during that period. It would have been nice to have it be released during the summer (or what’s left of it). But still cool nevertheless. Just don’t delay it.

Dave702 said:

August 20th, 3:30 pm

Also what happened to life with playstation?……………

X1rtam said:

August 20th, 3:33 pm

Hey that’s great, but I hope the original “too flashy for epilepsy kids” tracks are still in there, perhaps on a setting or unlockable or something…I love games that are great fun to play at night or otherwise light up the room in all sorts of crazy colors! Trophies are icing on the cake, this looks like a definite buy for me!

joel said:

August 20th, 3:40 pm

Must have no matter what, wipe out is amazing, and this looks amazing.

Must buy day one.

Wip3ou7 said:

August 20th, 4:13 pm

YES! This game is DEFINATELY LEGENDARY! By the way how dare they bump WipEout HD the same day it was posted with HOT SHOTS GOLF *UGH* /puke! WIPEOUT HD IS FINALLY COMING! THANK YOU SO MUCH SONY! I will definately buy copies of this game for every PS3 I own and I will make all of my friends buy it too (which wont be difficult considering how amazing WipEout is!)

Neil said:

August 20th, 4:33 pm

Kraftwerk + Wipeout HD x Trophies = <3

vandam said:

August 20th, 4:38 pm

Been wating!!!
Two thumbs up from me!!

PS fanboy said:

August 20th, 4:57 pm

how much will this cost?

Wip3ou7 said:

August 20th, 5:12 pm

omg i need it now

Wip3ou7 said:

August 20th, 5:14 pm

the first time i heard that sony was making a ps3, the first thought I had was “OMG, that means theres gonna be a new wipeout! I MUST OWN PS3!” I have seriously been waiting for this game for about 5 years

FarmerHodge said:

August 20th, 6:02 pm

@8 I agree the video quality is poor. They should put this up on the psn in all hd resolutions.

Mindfuct said:

August 20th, 6:16 pm

diggin’ it.Can’t wait for it to hit the Store.Plug for my HOME beta invite???

Wip3ou7 said:

August 20th, 6:30 pm

amazing. simply amazing. I’d pay anything for this game… The people who are waiting on the price to decide if they should buy this game have no idea how truly incredible the wipeout franchise is. I’ll pay 60 for this without thinking twice. I’m betting on $29 though.