PS4 - Transistor

Burnout Bikes Gameplay Unveiled

Jeremy Chubb's Avatar + Posted by Jeremy Chubb on Aug 22, 2008 // Community Manager, Criterion Games

Hey. Great to be back on the blog! We’re starting to feel like part of the furniture round here!

If you like what we’ve got to say, head over to our website – www.criteriongames.com or check out our video podcast – Crash TV.

This week, we started to ramp up towards the release of our great FREE Bikes Pack. This one’s pretty much complete now and in the final phase of testing. Here at the studio, most of the Burnout team have moved on to the next pack, which is trophies. But more on that soon, because today we want to spill a few details about bike gameplay.

bike03
We’ve built another 70 Challenges. If you’re not familiar with Burnout, Freeburn Challenges are basically “online for the rest of us”. No intense competition, no getting schooled, no racing, no headshots! Just kick back, relax and tool around in Paradise City with your friends playing simple challenges that take you on a tour of the city’s most fun locations.

bike15
Half of the 70 new challenges are regular Freeburn Challenges – just hang out with friends and collaborate to get these done in your own time. The other half are timed, multipart challenges that inject a little excitement and allow you to replay to improve your best times. They include popping wheelies and staying on the back wheel to make the most of the fact you’re on bikes for the first time.

bike14
With bikes, you also get a fresh new map of the city, filled with the bike equivalent of Burning Routes (against-the-clock races). These are called Burnout Rides and bring a new dimension through 2-part checkpoint races. They’ll reward players that have spent a little time getting to know the city. There are 38 in total, and the traffic system’s been rebalanced to introduce you gently to an all new kind of Burnout racing.

screenshot25
And if that’s not enough, you can whip through the city breaking new bike-specific fast times set for all 64 streets.

Street02_03
The Bikes Pack is a massive deal for us at Criterion. Here’s why.

Firstly, we’ve never done bikes before in a Burnout game before. The way our cars handle has always taken a lot of work and getting the cars to feel just right has taken a lot of time and energy over the years. Bikes are all new, but we wanted to get them right first time. We’re pretty happy with the way they feel, and we hope you guys will be too. You can wheelie around the city and stop to pull doughnuts or combine the two!

bike19
Secondly, every new pack we build for Burnout Paradise is grander than the last. We want to change Burnout this year. Big time. And we want to do it through downloadable packs. We want you to know that if you buy Burnout Paradise, you buy much more than the disk we shipped back in January, and the Bikes Pack is the biggest indication yet of how far we’re willing to push the game.

We’ll be back next week to talk about how we’re mixing things up a little in the Bikes Pack with the introduction of Day and Night gameplay!

firehawk04

93 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Pesico on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:10 am said:

Great stuff as always:) Looking forward to trophies and the bikes pack.

+ Wip3ou7 on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:10 am said:

Wee FIRST! Thanks for the update! Reminds me of TDU… hehe. I hope the bikes handle like bikes really should.

+ Pwee on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:14 am said:

Looks great and cannot wait for bikes.

Thanks Criterion for another great update. :)

+ THATPSPGUY on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:16 am said:

CooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooL
now can I please have the HUD fixed so that I can play properly and while your at it give me a home beta invite…..

+ suv_drift on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:17 am said:

One word for it: AWESOME!!!!
First new cars, now bikes…… this is the best game ever!

But a question, does the ranked races will have a separate board (one for cars and one for bikes) or it be one only?

+ HaVoK_08 on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:21 am said:

Criterion Games = Benchmark

awesome! Can’t wait to see what else is coming in the future from you guys!

+ redbaron787 on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:25 am said:

“The Bike Pack adds another 9-10 hours of gameplay to our already MASSIVE game, but it’s important that we give you new things to do…not more of the same.”

W:)W since when have you been doing more of the same? you guys are awsome!

+ Atoms on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:25 am said:

I am getting this tomorrow!

+ PirateThom on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:27 am said:

The support for this game is insane and it’s all free. Devs have charged for less than this, I’m just sorry I wasn’t in Burnout Paradise from the start so I could appreciate all the changes.

+ Jahmin on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:31 am said:

The whole city remapped and plenty of new challenges. This bike pack just keeps getting better.
Thanks Jeremy for the info and this awesome free update. Really, appreciate all the great support.
Please tell me this is coming soon, I really can’t wait to pop a wheelie in freeburn.

+ misteroy on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:31 am said:

Oh my goodness!

+ Nuclearfish on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:48 am said:

Thanks for the update Jez!

Quick question – is online racing possible with bikes? And if not, is it something you’re looking to add in the future?

And do you have any news on when Crash TV episode 8 will be out, or is everyone busy with Leipzig at the minute?

Thanks,
Nuclearfish

+ Oxp01nt on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:49 am said:

I can’t wait for this! :)
Gotta say thanks to criterion games for giving us all these free updates!

+ Ad-Kemp on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:51 am said:

Absolutely awesome job guys. Those shots look insanely good.

Can you give an estimated time frame on there release? And if not any ETA’s of other Burnout packs?

Also, will Bikes be able to Barrel Roll off the jumps? Or will they be taken out of Paradise when on bikes?

And will Bikes and Cars be in perfect harmony in Paradise? Or will they be Bike only and Car only races/freeburns?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the awesome work guys

Ad-Kemp

+ warloque7 on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:56 am said:

So, is it still going to be hitting on September 25, or is it going to come earlier?

+ JAXX377 on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:57 am said:

Thanks again for more awesome updates. The FREE expansion packs you have provided for this game have been excellent.

+ Herby on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:57 am said:

This is amazing !!! As I have said many times before, what a value!!
You cannot beat this game. Truly an awesome deal. Those of you who haven’t bough this make sure you do. But it used and use this 25% off coupon at Gamestop, http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/08/22/get-25-off-used-psp-ps3-games-at-gamestop/

It will end up costing you 20 bucks.

Keep up the awesome work. Other game companies should learn from you guys and your in-game ad model. Obviously, it has been immensely profitable. Congrats and keep up the great work.

+ spinthelights on August 22nd, 2008 at 4:57 am said:

My sincere thanks to everyone at Criterion Games. I’m one of the quiet masses enjoying Burnout Paradise to this day, always meeting good people on the roads, helping out the new players, getting trashed into guardrails on ranked races and soaking up the new content as it becomes available.

That I can remember in recent history, no game has given me so much fun for so long, and to see the game evolve every few months is astounding.

Thank you again, keep up the amazing work, and see you on the roads (or guardrails).

+ deanos on August 22nd, 2008 at 5:00 am said:

awsome ,
are the bikes futuristic or based on real models?
looks awsome
great job guys

+ stlthriot on August 22nd, 2008 at 5:18 am said:

Will there be day & night gameplay while you are using the cars now too? And is it an option or is it just take place now while playing?

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on August 22nd, 2008 at 5:30 am said:

You guys are awesome!

+ GGCAN on August 22nd, 2008 at 5:45 am said:

Very nice.

Thank-you.

+ Gunwing on August 22nd, 2008 at 5:48 am said:

Any chance we could see some shots of them crashing? I wan’t to see the riders take a dive and hit the pavement!

+ Gaia on August 22nd, 2008 at 5:51 am said:

I cannot wait for this!! Can’t wait for next weeks post! Thanks!

+ fatty65 on August 22nd, 2008 at 5:52 am said:

THIS IS GREAT, But i still really want trophy’s. Im a Whore

+ r-nice on August 22nd, 2008 at 5:54 am said:

Criterion should be commended, this is how you support a game.

+ saturnneo on August 22nd, 2008 at 6:05 am said:

Awesome! Bring on Eastwood…..er..the Island. Any plans for another island?

+ Stallone on August 22nd, 2008 at 6:12 am said:

I can’t wait for this. Can you clear up some stuff though? First off, there are people saying all the bikes are free and some are saying that you have to purchase them…can you please tell us how it is? Thanks in advanced, because they keep havin arguments: “Oh, it’s this way” the other…”no its not u r has to payt!!!” LOL

I just want to tell them the right answer, so it would be great if you clear this up for us.

+ 001 on August 22nd, 2008 at 6:20 am said:

A lot of the time when I play burnout, I’ll spend most of the time just driving around the city at top speed, seeing how long I can go without crashing. The thought of doing that with a bike..at night time really gets me excited. I like bikes more than cars so words can’t explain how much this update pleases me.

+ mr.eviltaz on August 22nd, 2008 at 6:20 am said:

I really can not wait so that i can kick some a** big time now.. I just want to know an exact day so that I don’t miss out the first day it is avail. I have just about every Burnout for the ps2 and this one has got to be the best by far. I have a total of like 400 give or take games total combined psp, ps2, and PS3 and I love burnout. I LOVE SONY..YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST..

+ Onna76_NL on August 22nd, 2008 at 6:33 am said:

OMG, you guys ROCK N ROLL!!! If I could I’d hug you all :-D

Much love from the entire PS community including “moi” ;-)

+ mendezgato on August 22nd, 2008 at 6:39 am said:

i just don’t see why anyone would not give this post a 5/5 score, you have to be a hater or simply an a$$ anyhow great post you guys have gain a costumer for life, thanks criterion

+ Andronix on August 22nd, 2008 at 6:41 am said:

Great News Jeremy, Im glad I bought Burnout.

Can you tell us are TROPHIES going to be including in the Bike pack? If not can you tell us when they are coming?!

thanks!

+ Enforcer_X on August 22nd, 2008 at 6:50 am said:

Still can’t believe it’s FREE I feel like I am stealing from you guys! lol

Trohpies will come soon enough you couldn’t have possible gotten all the trophies already?

Eden
SSHD
Uncharted
Warhawk (Aug 27th)
Pain (Soon)
Burnout (Soon)

I have plenty to keep me busy I don’t need to beat down the Criterion team for trophies … yet =)

However I would love to see XMB Music support instead of the in game jukebox.

Keep up the incredible work!
Wish you guys played online with PS3, love to race sometime!

+ rockymtnbri on August 22nd, 2008 at 6:54 am said:

Oh mama! I’m actually kinda glad this’ll be a little later ’cause I’m jonesing for the Warhawk update with jetpacka and a new level! Motorcycles are going to be interesting, especially with the whole body dynamic thing they’re including.

+ Nynja on August 22nd, 2008 at 7:00 am said:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

me want NOW!

+ theownerz on August 22nd, 2008 at 7:06 am said:

when the release date

+ megget on August 22nd, 2008 at 7:07 am said:

I now award criterion for game developer of the year by have great updates and they are free. Also any developer that still care about their fans. Thank you criterion.

+ sunstrike on August 22nd, 2008 at 7:20 am said:

nice bikes

+ DrBingogh on August 22nd, 2008 at 7:21 am said:

Awesome! I need to actually play this game in single player. I’ve played online free burn challenges so much I’ve only unlocked 6 cars. Can’t wait for more updates.

+ TheZed on August 22nd, 2008 at 7:24 am said:

The more I play Paradise and the more I learn about what is to come the more I have to wonder: Is Burnout Paradise the very best PS3 game so far? Without a doubt it is the best Racing/Driving game. How far is Criterion Games willing to go? And, the most burning (pun intended) question of all: is this all part of a grand scheme to take over the world by getting us all glued to our PS3s?

+ Traveler1990 on August 22nd, 2008 at 7:37 am said:

well im sold on this game now, with the continued ps3 support and free updates i’ll be getting this once i get off work

+ GameDreamer on August 22nd, 2008 at 7:40 am said:

Awesome!

*hugs criterion*

+ EViD on August 22nd, 2008 at 7:41 am said:

Thanks for the continuous support of this amazing game. I hope you are working on a new game as well (maybe Black 2?)

+ Jeigh on August 22nd, 2008 at 7:53 am said:

Furniture, huh? No, I think you’d be more like that kid down the street that just won’t go away and we all pretend to be annoyed by but if you left the sitcom would be cancelled. :P

You know you’re always welcome here. Especially when every time you show up you bring us such goodies. :D

Take it easy.

+ DaWolf619 on August 22nd, 2008 at 8:01 am said:

Such an awesome update, and it’s FREE!! Man, I seriously wish more teams would go this route and show some love to the fans. Criterion, you guys are awesome.

+ Shqype on August 22nd, 2008 at 8:04 am said:

Jeremy:

I would like to thank you very much for the work you and your team at Criterion Games have done to give us additional content.

I don’t like racing games, but when I heard a few weeks ago about the immense amount of additional content you guys have added to Burnout Paradise for FREE, and that you continue to support the game, and that you’re adding trophy support too, I went out to my nearest Gamestop and bought a brand new copy.

I firmly support everything you guys are doing to expand the game, and as a proud PS3 owner I enjoy playing Burnout Paradise. It really is a great game, and you guys just keep making it better!

You really do believe in supporting your fans and providing the best FREE post-game support I’ve ever seen for any video game. I love it and that’s why I bought the game. Congratulations on everything you’ve done so far, and thank you very much!

On a side note, I’m itching for trophy support. When can we expect that update?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

+ LukaX23 on August 22nd, 2008 at 8:15 am said:

GREAT WORK CRITERION! Wow I can’t wait! I’m definitely buying this! :D

+ Prezhulio on August 22nd, 2008 at 8:16 am said:

Question – Will Bikes and Cars be playable simultaneously or will the game be segregated online when you choose one or the other?

Thanks, and it looks awesome!!!

+ ionwaffle on August 22nd, 2008 at 8:23 am said:

awesome
i bought this last week since the dlc for it sounded awesome and its an extremely good buy

any timeframe rather then just weeks?

also after the trophy patch will you be adding anything else? cos its so full with features i cant think of anything new

PAGE 1 2