Star Wars Battlefront

Aug 25

Warhawk Operation: Fallen Star

Dylan Jobe's Avatar Posted by Dylan Jobe on Aug 25, 2008 // President, LightBox Interactive

So I’ve been dropping hints for a few months now on the blog and finally, at Leipzig Games Conference this week, we unveiled our third expansion for the Warhawk Universe — Operation: Fallen Star.

The sweet, sweet hotness that is the Icarus Mk.1 Rocket pack and once you’ve played it, you wonder how you ever played Warhawk without it!

Normally we announce stuff here in the States but we thought since Warhawk has a global player base, lets show it at Leipzig first this time.

Before I answer some of the questions that I’ve seen from the past couple of days, let me give you all a rundown of what’s included in Operation: Fallen Star.

There is an entirely new level – Tau Crater! It’s a smoky, forested island that features lots of vertical elements to give players tons of cools places to use the jetpack; huge trees that you can fly up into and land on their branches, an enormous recovery crane with lots of trusses and platforms to fly around, and of course, the name sake, a truly gargantuan capital ship wreckage smashed into the ground forming, you guessed it, Tau Crater.

The capital ship is fully traversable meaning you can use the jetpack or other aircraft to fly up to its various surfaces, pipes, and destroyed sections. Hop out, use them to recon the other bases, snipe, call-in a binoc strike, whatever.

Around the crater are salvage platforms that have been constructed and serve as some of the bases in the Tau Crater. There’s also a huge fiery hole in the middle of the wreckage that you can climb though as a troop to quickly cross from one side of the level to the other.

There are massive chunks of wreckage scattered around the level and the recovery efforts at these locations are bases as well.

In total there are 10 new layouts for Tau Crater and since the jetpack is a massive, game-changing addition to Warhawk, we included a crap-ton of bonus layouts for the original game too — there are 30 bonus layouts that add jetpacks into the Warhawk’s original content.

And yes, of course the jet pack can be used with both of the new free game modes that we released with the v1.4 Update. Jetpack Collector mode is awesome!

Now the jetpack itself is big departure from the way we normally do vehicles and this was very, very intentional. With each of our Booster-Packs, we specifically look for mechanic changing ways to freshen-up the game — and Operation: Fallen Star is no exception.

So here’s the run-down on the jetpack…

First off, the jetpacks are equipment that the salvage crews are using to work on the wreckage so the style of it is very much like the equipment you might see at a construction site. This is true for the Daedalus Rapid Assembly Device (D-RAD) as well. Think of it as a vending machine for jetpacks. One of our players on the Warhawk forums asked if it was like a “hot-dog-stand”…well, yes it kinda is :-)

You run up to the Daedalus and then press SQUARE to grab a jetpack off the rack, like you would to mount a vehicle or turret. The Daedalus then begins its automated construction process and makes a new jetpack for another player to grab. This construction period helps control the balance of the game so that not every single troop always has a jet pack.

Now to help protect against brutal base camping, we opted to not have the vending machine, err….the Daedalus be destructible. In some of our early play sessions, it just was too easy to ravage the other team if you could destroy the Daedalus.

The Warhawk forums also wondered if a jeep could drive the vending machine around, sorry, the answer is no. We spent a lot of time tuning the placement of each of the vending machines and towing them around the level would have introduced some pretty brutal exploits.

You can also mount other vehicles if you have a jetpack. So you and your team can coordinate fast strikes with the 4x4s and then all jump-jet out to make a flag run or scoop-up a team’s cores. If you have jetpack equipped, you are also allowed use it like an ejector seat and bail out of our Warhawk or Nemesis if you get into a dicey situation. Another great tactic is to use the Warhawk and run fly-by at the enemy base then have your buddy in the passenger slot bail out with the jetpack.

The controls for the jetpack are really easy too and operate the same as any other vehicle in the game so it should feel really natural to start using one.

R2 is the thrust button. Press it to engage the jets and your character will be carried higher and higher into the air. While you’re flying, use the analog sticks to move around. You can let off the thruster button to disengage the thrusters and your character will begin to drop towards the ground.

If you are flying around and you need to focus on combat and not thrust control, all you have to do is hold L2 and the jetpack will automatically emit enough thrust to maintain your current altitude. This way you can focus on raining death from above :-)

The jetpack also has a boost-dodge feature, similar to the afterburner for the aircraft. Simply double-tap R2 to engage the boost-dodge. The direction of the boost-dodge can be performed in any direction, backwards, forwards, side to side, even straight up depending on which direction you are pressing when you dodge.

Now this feature not only is a great way to get around the battlefield, but the “dodge” part of the boost-dodge is key for scrubbing missiles. There is only one missile in the game that can acquire a jetpack lock-on and that’s the troop missile launcher. So if you are up in the air and you see the missile warning pop-up on your screen, you better do a dodge, otherwise that missile is going to nail you! Now if you have a jetpack equipped but you are just running around on the ground, the missile launcher can’t get a lock on you…and this is another good way to help avoid getting hit.

Another question that our players wanted to know is if you can fly with the flag using a jetpack and the answer is yes. We took a lot of time to make sure all the traversal speeds were tuned just right and CTF and Collector mode are crazy fun with the Jetpack — hell, even just straight up deathmatch is way more fun!

So here are some of the details: Operation: Fallen Star is being released on August 28th worldwide and is $7.99 in the Playstation Store. We also worked with SONY to get a new bundle pack ready too. The new Booster Combo Pack includes all 3 of the expansions for only $15.99. That’s like getting all 3 Booster-Packs for the price of only 2!!! Quick — deploy the wacky waiving inflatable arm-flailing tube men!!!

As a reminder, keep you eyes out for our FREE v1.5 Update that goes LIVE on August 27th!

So that’s it for now — I’ll do my best today to answer comments cause I didn’t get to at all with my last post cause I was crazy busy traveling for meetings. So let ‘em rip!

Oh, and one last thing, Kudos to 3 people (topodisc, mattnz, cubehouse) who were able to breakdown my crazy color-swatch-HEX-string-mythology-reference!

Rock on,

PAGE 1 7 8 9

+ Stoffinator on August 25th, 2008 at 12:28 pm said:

Aww I thought this was free. Thats what it looked like in the video. Oh well.

+ IceCold on August 25th, 2008 at 12:32 pm said:

man, there are so many add on to this game I don’t feel like i can cath up…

+ RaistPDX on August 25th, 2008 at 12:35 pm said:

Hmmm sounds like it’s about time to give this game a try :)

+ ASILENTENIGMA on August 25th, 2008 at 12:48 pm said:

Dylan (Regarding my missing rank):

Thanks for checking Dylan!

+ freeluv on August 25th, 2008 at 12:52 pm said:

is it just me or does the new trailer for the expansion pack feel really star warsy?

+ whiteboykyle on August 25th, 2008 at 12:55 pm said:

My gosh from the looks of it you guys will never release a game for the PS3 again seeing how much support you guys put behind Warhawk, how many more expansions will there be before you guys run out of ideas?

+ Doublerg on August 25th, 2008 at 12:57 pm said:

Hey Dylan, im kind of new to this blog but this topic just attracted me, your doing the game gods work dylan keep it up! also 2 quitions

1) if i kill someone with a jet pack and pick up there bag will i then get there jet pack?

2) is it possible to drop my jet pack so i could give it to the flag carrier or so i can put bio field on my own pack?

hope you reply

+ Fixuis on August 25th, 2008 at 1:05 pm said:

Another great idea if you guys implemented water based gameplay would be aircraft carriers lined up with warhawks, take off an land on those, maaaan imagine the possibilities..

+ Har227 on August 25th, 2008 at 1:14 pm said:

So dylan I am a bit lost on the release dates, the post about the v 1.5 update says its release date is tentatively the 27th and the booster is for the 28th, is that right?

+ whiteboykyle on August 25th, 2008 at 1:16 pm said:

BTW, In the new expansion there should be a game mode called Hide&Seek where one person gets a two minute head start with a jetpack to hide somewhere on the map. and everyone goes to look for the person and if the person has picked off everyone that was searching for him or surpasses the time limit he gets massive points, and if searching crew finds and kills him all of the searching teams get points or something along those lines. Think how awesome it would be for 30vs1 would be and you guys could limit the warhawks, not include TOW missiles and limit weapons to make it harder to kill the hider.

+ WhereIsWipeoutHD on August 25th, 2008 at 1:23 pm said:

Any chance of you adding bot support?

+ THE_TERRORIZER on August 25th, 2008 at 1:23 pm said:

DAMN…..jetpacks, trophies, new insignias, new airplane designs, eject (THAT will come in handy for me at least), 30 new maps….whats next? I cant hardly think of anything else that i want for this game…custom soundtrack will have me playing for hours. Might as well say goodbye to GTA4.

+ Reverend_M on August 25th, 2008 at 1:28 pm said:

HorizonShadow, please, stop spamming the comments section. You’re not going to get any help with those things here because this is for the game Warhawk, NOT for the general PSN.

+ absolute on August 25th, 2008 at 1:34 pm said:

Can’t put into words how much I appreciate the continued support for this great game, but I’m not sure how I feel about the ability to bail out of a Warhawk. If it was possible from the release of the game, I think it would still be cheap, but it wouldn’t be something to. As it stands, I think it’s essentially stealing kills from a lot of people, which does dynamically change up the game like you said, but I don’t particularly like it. Regardless, I never thought I would see the original Warhawk come so far, so thanks again for the hard work.

+ nelo07 on August 25th, 2008 at 1:37 pm said:

You’re gonna have to add me to the list too Dylan. I’m also not ranking up to what I’m supposed to be. I have all the requirements for Lt. Colonel, but still not updating my rank. But other than, good job with this booster pack. Glad you’re still supporting the game and the community.

+ redbaron787 on August 25th, 2008 at 1:39 pm said:

will jet packs be color coded?

+ Maxilicious on August 25th, 2008 at 1:42 pm said:

please PLEASE PLEASE repy!!
i’ve got an idea for a new vehicle…. how about a war of the worlds style tripod? imagine in Eucadia seeing these massive tripods walking about? that would be awesome. also the passenger could control a grappel thing that could grab soldiers on the ground and could kill them, by like sucking their blood out and spray out on the ground…
on one of your comments Dylan you said that SONY makes the desicions for expansions or updates… you must get really pissed off when you come up with an idea for an expansion and then SONY say just not yet, and then you forget what the idea was! please PLEASE PLEASE repy

+ hatrix on August 25th, 2008 at 1:49 pm said:

So i read one of you responses to someones question and you said that you can throw a proximity mine onto a warhawk. Could this possible just blow of the wing or would it blow it up. (making it so that you could blow of wings etc would go for awesome crashes)

+ Deonte252 on August 25th, 2008 at 2:23 pm said:

Yo DJ. My account has the rank-up bug to. I have the points for Air Marshal but im still a captain. PSN;xXDeonte252Xx. Maybe you & the team can fix it or look into it

+ KIT619KAT on August 25th, 2008 at 2:23 pm said:

great update and boosterpacks!!! i guess it wont be compatipbaly with other booster packs :(

+ Dave702 on August 25th, 2008 at 2:29 pm said:

NICE UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BUT………….. what happened with LIFE WITH PLAYSTATION???

+ Netweb on August 25th, 2008 at 2:29 pm said:

Hey Dylan… i’m from Portugal.. and i love this game much than you xD

Any chance to put boats or ships… in a sea map?

+ GhostViper on August 25th, 2008 at 2:32 pm said:

Wow, I’m really looking foward to this.
Will there be a possibility to play with all the “new” vehicles from the booster packs at the same time in the future?

+ ZildjianKX on August 25th, 2008 at 2:31 pm said:

So any chance for a $11.99 Broke Mirror/Fallen Star bundle?

+ Gunwing on August 25th, 2008 at 2:43 pm said:

I hope to god you checked out my idea for a gametype the airship battle scheme I had set up on the forums would be sweet. Plus my idea was that it was a free update that would add it as well.

IE both teams have a Air battleship to defend. Both air battleships can hold 4 aircraft at any given time.

New turrets would be added:

Dual AA turrets: Shoots twice as fast, but has 2 less guns then the ground based quad AA guns.

Missile turrets: shoots swarm missiles: IE bigger and more deadly versions of the ones WarHawks come with.

These both would only be found on the Air battleships.

Last but not least the new airborne Torpedo: IE think WW2 torpedos but it’s in the air and each WarHawk can only carry 1 of these at a time.

You can use them on ground targest without a lock on to an Air battleship. It takes a wopping 50 torpedos to down a Air-Battleship. Both teams also have ground silos they can use to attack if the enemy has too strong a defence around their airship.

(Note each team has to keep their silos or the other team may steal them and own em.)

This would be a major update, but be perfect for WarHawk. Please forward it to the dev team!

+ diablo103 on August 25th, 2008 at 2:44 pm said:

once again amazing job, and as always i will b purchasing it thursday. Any updates on how your room is turning out in HOME? also if by chance you do get to make more booster packs i think a really neat level would be the one you showed off a while ago of the giant flying ships in the sky over the water. :heres a link to what im trying to describe:

+ SS_keyblade on August 25th, 2008 at 2:48 pm said:

Hey Dylan great update but I have one question that you can hopefully answer, in order to unlock all the trophies will we need to buy the expansion packs? cause it would be a bummer if we had to, since not much of us have money to buy these awesome packs :) thanks again!

+ Kittonwy on August 25th, 2008 at 2:48 pm said:

That looks sweet, can’t wait to get the booster pack as well as try out the trophies.

+ RoAcH2285 on August 25th, 2008 at 2:51 pm said:

Yo Dylan? Sony? Can you here me? lol. All I want to say is that I only have Omega Dawn right now and would like it if you offered a Broken Mirror/Fallen Star bundle for $11 like you guys did with the Omega Dawn/Broken Mirror Bundle. Thanks. :)

+ Ratchet3 on August 25th, 2008 at 2:56 pm said:

what we need is that PSN IDs link up to each controller so more then one psn id can be logged in at once Ex: me and i my brother want to play warhawk i am using my username and he is using own so me and him can unlock trophies without one of us loging out

+ SeventhAxes on August 25th, 2008 at 2:58 pm said:

All three expansion packs for 15.99? I think you got a new customer.

+ phantomus on August 25th, 2008 at 2:58 pm said:

I know you’re probably gonna skip over this because it’s so far down the list already but…

-Are you guys working on/have ideas for an update for partying up with friends in Warhawk?

My friend and I love to play together online, but we’re not always on the same team, and our lists for joining matches aren’t always the same, and sometimes he’ll get in a match when I won’t, and vise versa.

If there was a way to group up with your friends and let one of them be the leader to chose rooms and game types that would make ALL the difference!

+ SeventhAxes on August 25th, 2008 at 3:04 pm said:

While I’m still here, I’d like to second phantomus (#204), a “Party” list would be the biggest welcome in the series.

+ TheGuardian1973 on August 25th, 2008 at 3:09 pm said:

+ BabeBro on August 25th, 2008 at 3:09 pm said:

Dylan you are the best man. Thanks for showing us gamers you care. I know you probably won’t see my post, but please continue the good work. Warhawk is one of my favorite games on PS3. I’ve owned it since launch and haven’t stopped playing since.

+ tonka_92 on August 25th, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

Dylan, you probably won’t read this so far down in the comments but are there any plans to implement an in-game player profile search option?

At the moment a couple of us over at the european forums are running a little week by week league using the stats website, but it doesn’t seem to update regularly at all and scores seem to stay the same for weeks and then jump massively

if there was an in-game service it would solve all our comparison and league problems as the in-game profiles are the most accurate areas for stats etc. but we cant have somebody adding all the people in the league as it would take up spaces in their friends list/buddy list in-game

thanks for reading and replying if you do

+ Tomato9876 on August 25th, 2008 at 3:19 pm said:

Dylan, what about the Kick/Ban feature? This would get rid of all the stat padding and clan stacked servers. PLEASE!!!

+ kornkid52 on August 25th, 2008 at 3:23 pm said:

i love wat u guys have done wit warhawk probably my fav game of all time each booster pack/update makes the game better and better. u guys thinkin of makin a new downhill dom. that game was sic cant wait til the 28th

+ Train04 on August 25th, 2008 at 3:26 pm said:

Hi Dylan I no it’s late in the post but a reply would be apriciated is it possible to have more than two teams in a game for a more intense battle also could there be a turret on the back of a plane cus theres nothing you can do as a passanger at the moment keep up the great work.

+ 3D3 on August 25th, 2008 at 3:28 pm said:

Thank you for this update! But please fix the ranks! I can never rank up anymore, I’m always stuck. :(

+ Leo on August 25th, 2008 at 3:29 pm said:

I am also suffering from the rank issue; hopefully you guys can sort it out? PSN- Leonidas077

+ skyshark67 on August 25th, 2008 at 3:33 pm said:

Oky here it goes….The ranking system in warhawk is screweing up for some people. Heres an example. I am supposed to be a command marshal…but i am still a major! I figured out what was wrong with it. I HAVE TO GET THE OLD POINT REQUIREMENTS TO RANK UP! I am thinking about re installing warhawk but that might erase my stats! PLZ RESPOND TO THIS!

PAGE 1 7 8 9