PS4-The Order

Day and Night Gameplay for Burnout Paradise

Jeremy Chubb's Avatar + Posted by Jeremy Chubb on Aug 29, 2008 // Community Manager, Criterion Games

A big moment in Burnout history is just around the corner.

We’re working flat out to bring you yet another free content pack for Burnout Paradise – and this one’s the Bike Pack!

If you missed our recent posts, we’re trying something new with downloadable content this year. We want to completely change the game we brought you back in January with regular game changing updates. That means more than just a couple of cars and a new level.

For the first time in a Burnout game, we’re bringing you motorcycles. We’ve already talked about the 2 bikes available from Day 1 and some of the bike-specific gameplay that’s on the way, but there’s more to this pack than that. We’re introducing night time to the streets of Paradise City and with it, some unique gameplay.

Bike at night

When the pack arrives, just head for the nearest Junkyard and pick one of the bikes – either the Nakamura Firehawk V4 or the Nakamura FV1100.

MaleRider JunkYard
Here’s a map showing Paradise City and all the different events you can try – Race, Road Rage, Marked Man, Burning Route and Stunt Run. For the full run-down on how these work, check out the video on our website.

CarMapssmall
Selecting one of the bikes triggers a whole load of new gameplay – 70 new challenges, 38 new against-the-clock races (Burning Rides) and new “Road Rules” record times for 64 streets – it’s like a whole new game to play through!

Motorcycles 1
And if that’s not enough, once the sun sets at 8pm, the game changes.

screenshot11
The lights on the bike switch on, the traffic thins out creating an all new environment for high speed racing and we trigger some night-specific gameplay – half of the new Burning Rides take place at night and are called Midnight Rides.

Burning Ride Night
Here’s how the clock works:

From 8pm to 8am it’s night. We figured you’d want to decide how fast this comes around, so we made the clock customizable. You can easily switch between day and night and try out the different gameplay whenever you like. You can also control the speed of change – anything from 24 minutes to real-time (24hrs), if you’re up for an epic session!

Night Time Bike shot 14
If you play an online game, we automatically switch all players to the host time, fast forwarding through day or night as necessary. I swear you never get tired of seeing it!

We’ll be back with more next week – our final post before Bikes go live!

And as always, if you want more details, head to our own website – www.criteriongames.com

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Stinkin Mushroom on August 29th, 2008 at 4:08 am said:

That’s awesome

oh, LIFE with Playstation??

+ redbaron787 on August 29th, 2008 at 4:09 am said:

cool

+ INTVGene on August 29th, 2008 at 4:09 am said:

Keep the updates coming. I can’t wait for the bikes.

Does the day/night feature not work when you’re playing with the regular cars though?

+ tetsuo_shima on August 29th, 2008 at 4:10 am said:

The bikes look great….I may have to buy burnout someday if you keeps this up….thanks

+ hostes on August 29th, 2008 at 4:30 am said:

life with playstation?
psn cards?
trophy support for all new games? (the last guy, r&c quest for booty…????)
…..

+ lifeRPGs on August 29th, 2008 at 4:39 am said:

you guys just keep surprising us over and over again..brilliant stuff here. thanks again

+ sibbor on August 29th, 2008 at 4:42 am said:

I’ve never regret that I bought Burnout Paradise – not once! From the very first beginning I thought that it was an excellent game.
The smooth frame rate, the high speed and the online races; I really liked (still do) how you guys managed to integrate the online driving into the game so smooth. There’s no point in driving offline, when you’re just a three clicks and a couple of seconds away from driving online.

I’ve only got a few minor burdens with the game, and it’s the slow menus (especially the car selection screen takes “forever”), but I’m overseeing that issue.

What I didn’t know when I first bought the game was that you (awesome!) guys would update the game with new content. You’ve really surprised me (among others); I never thought you guys would put so much hard work with extra materials, tweaks, bug fixes etc. into an already launched game – and for free!!

Thanks for your last update to: I’m really enjoying my custom music tracks, even though I hoped that it would use Sonys API for “real” in-game music directly from the XMB…

I’m impressed, and hope that more companies will follow your approach.

I wish you the best,
much love from Sweden ;-)!

+ MCWHAMMER on August 29th, 2008 at 4:43 am said:

@ nostes: What does anything you said have to do with Criterion Games?

@ Criterion Games: Cannot WAIT. This is without a doubt, the best driving game I’ve ever owned. You win.

+ Johnbot5k on August 29th, 2008 at 4:45 am said:

I can’t wait!

+ Uraeus on August 29th, 2008 at 4:59 am said:

This looks absolutely incredible, Burnout Paradise is among my very favourite games on my PS3. Looking forward to both this and the Trophy patch. Future Criterion games are on my definitive pre-order list :)

+ Stoffinator on August 29th, 2008 at 5:07 am said:

@ 1 What does Life With PlayStation have to do with Burnout?

Anyway, can’t wait to try out the bikes and day and night cycle. This is the reason why I bought Burnout Paradise, all these free (big) awesome updates you guys are doing.

+ warloque7 on August 29th, 2008 at 5:08 am said:

So, does that mean the Bikes patch becomes available in two weeks?

+ Prototype69 on August 29th, 2008 at 5:12 am said:

BORNING! -. – What about Life With Playstation? :O

+ warloque7 on August 29th, 2008 at 5:12 am said:

Now all we need is crash junctions and we’ll have a perfect game.

+ EVILSTUART on August 29th, 2008 at 5:15 am said:

thanks for all the updates, i bought this game a few months ago, my first burnout experience, just because of the support you are giving this title. i will continue to support you franchise now as long as you (criterion) are the devs. thanks for such a great game!!!

+ Ghostm on August 29th, 2008 at 5:18 am said:

This is one of the most exciting GCC of all times. Burnout Paradise was totally worth my $65. I cant wait to finish these bike challenges. Please hurry with the Trophies!!!

+ Herby on August 29th, 2008 at 5:18 am said:

This is very cool. Can’t wait. Stop teasing us.

+ GameDreamer on August 29th, 2008 at 5:21 am said:

Sounds really cool. I like the idea of less traffic for the Midnight Runs.

+ DryvBy on August 29th, 2008 at 5:21 am said:

I was thinking also, you guys should make like a monster truck pack. I mean, dude, this game already rules and is one of the best racing/driving games I’ve played especially with so much FREE content, but I can’t even imagine how fun it would be to smash through the town and those bikers using a monster truck.

+ PSPsGTghOost on August 29th, 2008 at 5:21 am said:

Why is bringing trophies to this game taking so long!?

+ Zezzler on August 29th, 2008 at 5:23 am said:

This update is going to be awesome and I love hearing new stuf about it, but im starting to agree with lots of other people on here. Psn cards? life with playstation? more trophy suport games?

+ draconus787 on August 29th, 2008 at 5:23 am said:

OK!OK!OK!OK!OK!OK!OK!, you win, i’ll buy the game.

+ OddyOh on August 29th, 2008 at 5:24 am said:

Awesome, best game ever, best DLC…other companies should learn from you guys!

+ GGCAN on August 29th, 2008 at 5:25 am said:

Thanks for the post.

Actually just bought this game due to the recent announcements you people have made.

Keep up the good work.

+ draconus787 on August 29th, 2008 at 5:27 am said:

@21 (Zezzler)
About the PSN cards,

So those PSN pre-paid cards aren’t hitting GameStop until 2009? Screw GameStop. Sony have announced that, in addition to the stores currently stocking the cards (Pamida, Meijer and Speedway), come September three more chains will be selling them. Those three are Blockbuster, 7-Eleven and Riteaid. Which is all well and good, but I’m getting the feeling there are people outside the US – like me, for example – more interested in these cards than Americans. Mostly because it’ll make buying stuff like Rock Band DLC that much easier.

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on August 29th, 2008 at 5:37 am said:

AWESOME! I CAN’T WAIT FOR IT!

Question: When are you releasing it on the PSN? I want to pick it up!

+ Goodfella2487 on August 29th, 2008 at 5:38 am said:

Shut up with your “Life with Playstation?” bullsh*t. You’ll get it when you get it.

+ Jersey-Gamer on August 29th, 2008 at 5:41 am said:

This is great! I’ve enjoyed the Burnout Paradise updates so far, and this pack should put a fresh new face on the game. I can’t wait to take these bikes out for a ride!

+ SPARDA on August 29th, 2008 at 5:49 am said:

HTis is probably the only thing that wil pull me away the SOCOM Beta.

Great work guys. Can’t Wait

PS: I also can’t wait for the day they start banning these freaking trolls in here that ask stupid questions.

+ nbnz on August 29th, 2008 at 5:56 am said:

Another great update. Thanks Criterion. You’ve got at least one gauranteed customer for your next Burnout.

+ nbnz on August 29th, 2008 at 5:58 am said:

By the way, did you know your “Bikes” link from http://www.criteriongames.com/ goes to Cagney and not Davis.

+ 001 on August 29th, 2008 at 6:00 am said:

Nice, I was hoping you guys would detail the day/night cycles. I saw a video of the bike riding through nighttime on CTV.

+ 001 on August 29th, 2008 at 6:03 am said:

Oh and I wanted to know, can you make the time be tied to your PS3 clock? For example if I start playing at 8 pm tonight when I pop in burnout is there a way for it to be 8 pm in burnout too?

+ Gothdom on August 29th, 2008 at 6:06 am said:

Thanks ! Great update coming up :) I’m eager to play with those bikes.

Can you guys give us some info on trophy support? 1.4.5 or eastwood?

+ whoelse on August 29th, 2008 at 6:26 am said:

Full of awesomeness!

+ sunstrike on August 29th, 2008 at 6:30 am said:

the best game ever

+ stlthriot on August 29th, 2008 at 6:31 am said:

Is night racing ONLY for bikes???

+ Stallone on August 29th, 2008 at 6:41 am said:

TROPHIEZ PLZ KK ! THX! BAI :D

+ Onna76_NL on August 29th, 2008 at 6:45 am said:

Hope my PS3 continues to work to try out the patch *sob*.

@stlthriot, no its not you can ride the bikes during the day as well.

I do have 2 questions, will this pack have the trophies and how do the new events effect the total played status, like when you’ve obtained everything in the game? I’m at 93% now.

+ rockymtnbri on August 29th, 2008 at 6:49 am said:

Gimme gimme gimme!

+ ghamdikh1 on August 29th, 2008 at 6:55 am said:

@Jeremy Chubb

yo Jeremy can you kindly add Jeremy youtube uploading SUPPORT to the game in the next updata.

+ thingg on August 29th, 2008 at 6:56 am said:

Man, what is wrong with you people? You’re getting one of the best DLC packs in the history of video games and you’re complaining about not having a PS3 version of the [DELETED] weather channel?????!!!

OT: Awesome guys.

+ ghamdikh1 on August 29th, 2008 at 6:56 am said:

@Jeremy Chubb

yo Jeremy can you kindly add youtube uploading SUPPORT to the game in the next updata.

+ PS fanboy on August 29th, 2008 at 7:04 am said:

just wondering since i hvnt play burnout series yet,
is it like a free roaming like gta and then u can go to some places(like racing arena) then race with some people?
i know my question was complicated and stupid but just wondering.
if it is, im gonna buy it! :D

+ stlthriot on August 29th, 2008 at 7:10 am said:

Sorry, actually i meant to ask if cars can be driven at night as well?

+ Gaia on August 29th, 2008 at 7:14 am said:

Thanks for another update! Can’t wait for this to be released!!

+ FritoZ on August 29th, 2008 at 7:18 am said:

nice, i actually just first played the demo last night, it was very smooth and looked like great fun, just might have to get this now!

thanks!

+ darkiewonder on August 29th, 2008 at 7:21 am said:

wow. that’s really awesome! you guys are the best developer and always giving us content! especially free!

+ iReyz on August 29th, 2008 at 7:22 am said:

That’s awesome!
I just got Burnout Paradise today!

Can’t wait for those bikes.

+ Chef Skillz on August 29th, 2008 at 7:22 am said:

Any word on when Burnout Paradise will be available for download?
I am very interested in adding this game to my hard drive as a permanent addition.

PAGE 1 2 3