PS4 - Destiny

Day and Night Gameplay for Burnout Paradise

Jeremy Chubb's Avatar + Posted by Jeremy Chubb on Aug 29, 2008 // Community Manager, Criterion Games

A big moment in Burnout history is just around the corner.

We’re working flat out to bring you yet another free content pack for Burnout Paradise – and this one’s the Bike Pack!

If you missed our recent posts, we’re trying something new with downloadable content this year. We want to completely change the game we brought you back in January with regular game changing updates. That means more than just a couple of cars and a new level.

For the first time in a Burnout game, we’re bringing you motorcycles. We’ve already talked about the 2 bikes available from Day 1 and some of the bike-specific gameplay that’s on the way, but there’s more to this pack than that. We’re introducing night time to the streets of Paradise City and with it, some unique gameplay.

Bike at night

When the pack arrives, just head for the nearest Junkyard and pick one of the bikes – either the Nakamura Firehawk V4 or the Nakamura FV1100.

MaleRider JunkYard
Here’s a map showing Paradise City and all the different events you can try – Race, Road Rage, Marked Man, Burning Route and Stunt Run. For the full run-down on how these work, check out the video on our website.

CarMapssmall
Selecting one of the bikes triggers a whole load of new gameplay – 70 new challenges, 38 new against-the-clock races (Burning Rides) and new “Road Rules” record times for 64 streets – it’s like a whole new game to play through!

Motorcycles 1
And if that’s not enough, once the sun sets at 8pm, the game changes.

screenshot11
The lights on the bike switch on, the traffic thins out creating an all new environment for high speed racing and we trigger some night-specific gameplay – half of the new Burning Rides take place at night and are called Midnight Rides.

Burning Ride Night
Here’s how the clock works:

From 8pm to 8am it’s night. We figured you’d want to decide how fast this comes around, so we made the clock customizable. You can easily switch between day and night and try out the different gameplay whenever you like. You can also control the speed of change – anything from 24 minutes to real-time (24hrs), if you’re up for an epic session!

Night Time Bike shot 14
If you play an online game, we automatically switch all players to the host time, fast forwarding through day or night as necessary. I swear you never get tired of seeing it!

We’ll be back with more next week – our final post before Bikes go live!

And as always, if you want more details, head to our own website – www.criteriongames.com

PAGE 1 2 3

+ EvoAnubis on August 29th, 2008 at 12:53 pm said:

@98:

First of all, Chuckles, Burnout has a HUGE community, and with Criterian’s phenomenal support of the title, it just grows and grows and grows. Check yourself.

Secondly, Criterian has NOTHING TO DO with Novastrike. So why your comment is here, I have no idea.

Third, “a few” means three. Read a book sometime.

Fourth, cry moar.

+ Kedaro on August 29th, 2008 at 12:56 pm said:

This is so awesome, I’m dying from anticipation, I am whole-heartedly addicted to Trophies atm, wish they came with this update, rather than after.

+ erico316 on August 29th, 2008 at 1:19 pm said:

since you game are still supporting burnout will you guys be adding home support to the game?

+ sarshelYam on August 29th, 2008 at 1:19 pm said:

@98…

…and yet YOU waste your time coming to complain about “nobody gives a damn about!” Well, you give enough of a damn to spend your time here…complaining…excellent use of your time.

As for the Novastrike and your perception of a few, well…the literal definition of a few has no numerical attachment, only that it often exceeds a couple (2), and can be counted with ones fingers (so as not to exceed ten (10)).

Have a nice day!

+ MidnightBlues on August 29th, 2008 at 1:39 pm said:

thats nice and I dont care….

Hell yes I come here to complain…where else would I go? the most recent blog post is of this ugly game so yeah im not going to go to some old post to complain….

my perception of a few is just fine tard it means two and they lied, im pissed that this blog post exists at all…nobody cares and its like I see 15 pointless burnout posts a week and its starting to tick me off….get off it already…release the crap and move on and give me something relevant for once..

+ Jackal888 on August 29th, 2008 at 1:45 pm said:

The day to night cycle is a great feature that I am so glad is coming to Burnout Paradise. All we need now is last 30 seconds saved and uploaded to Youtube feature. I know that would be PS3 only but there are so many times I wanted to save that crazy stunt I just did.

+ EvoAnubis on August 29th, 2008 at 2:03 pm said:

Insults, eh? How cute.

Well, you go on living in your fantasy land where every single post on this blog must be something that interests you personally. Just don’t cry when reality bites you.

And if you see “15 Burnout posts a week,” then your numerical skills are far worse than I initially thought.

+ MidnightBlues on August 29th, 2008 at 2:06 pm said:

Its called exaggeration to prove my point. Man you are so slow..do I have to explain myself every time I post? jeezus man.

and yes thats what im saying..every post HAS to interest me personally as well as please me if not then it sucks…lol
no im just asking for maybe one or two posts a month that somewhat satisfy my tastes as a gamer…way to much to ask I suppose.

+ jqtaxpayer on August 29th, 2008 at 2:20 pm said:

Oh, my bad… I posted earlier without reading all of the responses or the knowledge that there would, indeed, be weather effects. I’m looking forward to hearing about those and how they affect gameplay.

PS: I still hope you’ll consider a Race Selection menu, because driving back to starting lines and such got old for me really quickly.

+ MidnightBlues on August 29th, 2008 at 2:20 pm said:

PS: GTA IV stomps this game and it has had bikes and day/night cycles from the start…this game takes monthes for rather mundane features.

PEACE

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on August 29th, 2008 at 2:32 pm said:

Too bad this game doesn’t have 4 player split-screen, that’s what keeps me from buying it

+ Crimson Mazz on August 29th, 2008 at 2:42 pm said:

If you are an adult gamer tired of screaming kids, rap singers, come and join our gaming community for old noobs like me.

Mainly X360 and PS3 gamers, we need more adult PS3 gamers to join the site!!! Socom, Resisitance2, Killzone2 are almost here! Welcome!

I hope you don’t take this as SPAM as our only interest is to help and give sanctuary to adult gamers

+ Crimson Mazz on August 29th, 2008 at 2:43 pm said:

Opps…the site is http://www.gamerocks.com

+ btk88 on August 29th, 2008 at 2:54 pm said:

awesome

+ Chaos_Bladez on August 29th, 2008 at 3:56 pm said:

Looks great and I hope the trophies come soon after that! :D

+ Blacklit on August 29th, 2008 at 5:09 pm said:

sweet will there be trophies yet?

+ EViD on August 30th, 2008 at 10:49 am said:

Great work as always Criterion. Looking forward to this update.

So Trophies are up next?

+ bsm1 on August 30th, 2008 at 11:13 am said:

yeah…its free right??? awesome

+ EvoAnubis on August 31st, 2008 at 9:37 am said:

Yeah, it’s free.

Don’t worry; I understand the confusion here. I mean, it’s not as if Jeremy said that in the 2nd sentence of this post or anything.

Oh, wait……..

+ tabunet on September 3rd, 2008 at 4:24 am said:

Hi, i’m from Spain

Burnout Paradise: Great Game (online/offline)

Criterion Games: great development team. It’s like a rock

Updates: Motorcycles, Night and Day cycle…
Excellent!

Jeremy Chubb: you do a good job responding to the user community in PlayStation Blog

Criterion Games and EA: Thanks for you hard work in Burnout Paradise

Regards for you

+ Magyck on September 5th, 2008 at 6:56 am said:

God I Wish this update would go ahead and hit, I’ve been checking this thing every day for updates, You guys at Criterion are amazing, now if all companies took a lesson in customer service from you guys, the phrase “Buyer Beware” would not exist. Simply because you guys are smart and now that if you treat the customer right the first time, you’ll have repeat business. I got hooked on the first burnout, and have been ever since. I got more than I bargained for when I spent the cash to get paradise, you guys keep adding free content and making things better and better. So that means to me, that if it has the name Criterion on it, it’s a must buy for me. I hope to see more games from you guys hit the shelves. Good job and keep up the AWESOME work.

+ Magyck on September 5th, 2008 at 7:23 am said:

I forgot to tell you guys thank you. so, thank you!

+ jordan199311 on September 5th, 2008 at 6:09 pm said:

wow, just wow. AMAZING. Trophies are a must have though. You guys support this game so much. Are you guys gonna do anything that integrates with Playstation Home? Besides trophies that is.

+ Theossie on September 6th, 2008 at 6:33 pm said:

Is anyone reading this.. Hope you all didn’t think I was lying..

Burnout Giveaway!!! Go to PSLevel.com

Enter daily!!!

+ Theossie on September 6th, 2008 at 6:35 pm said:

@Jordan

I forgot about that.. I would not be surprised to see them create a Burnout themed space..

+ Magyck on September 11th, 2008 at 11:06 pm said:

@ MidnightBlues, I’ve played GTA IV, it sucks major rocks compared to this game, the game play is horrible, the cars are rediculous, and quite frankly, the music sucks. and you are stupid. Criterion is much more talented at game development skills than Rockstar could ever hope to be, they sold the name on the new GTA, and the next time you post, remember that insulting someone on the INTERNET, is something that a 5 year old would do. My only dissapointment with the bike update is there hasn’t been any posts about it in a while. I’m eager to get this update, and hopefully this AMAZING developement team will post a blog to update us about when the bikes pack goes live.

PAGE 1 2 3