PS4 - Transistor

PLAYSTATION Store Video Content Update

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Aug 29, 2008 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

Hi again! The weekend’s here – time for your weekly update of new movie & TV shows on the PLAYSTATION Store.

This week we’ve added new video content from the following television series:

• American Dad, Season 1
  • Ben 10: Alien Force, Season 1
  • Burn Notice, Season 1 & 2
  • Crime 360, Season 1
  • Futurama, Season 1 & 2
  • Galaxy Railways, Season 1
  • MADtv, Season 13
  • Rescue Me, Season 4
  • The First 48, Season 7
  • The Unit, Season 2
  • Til Death, Season 2
  • Xam’d: Lost Memories, Season 1

We’ve also added the following feature films to the Store:

• Alien 3

And, finally, here are our top 20 movie and top 20 TV downloads for the week:

PSN Video Top 20 Movie Downloads

PSN Video Top 20 TV Downloads

82 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ TheHater on August 29th, 2008 at 3:05 pm said:

Why don’t you guys allow us to buy entire anime season at a time? It annoying to buy one at a time

+ XxBigP123xX on August 29th, 2008 at 3:06 pm said:

Well at least a descent movie is on top this week…there should be something like this for games(Top 10).

+ subbed on August 29th, 2008 at 3:12 pm said:

More Futurama is always good for me!

+ Maverick_fox on August 29th, 2008 at 3:15 pm said:

Nice update, but when can we mexicans get access to the videostore?

and about the PSN cards
I read that they will be out in blockbuster and 7-elven next month, but only in the US? or is it there any chances to see them in Mexico? ’cause add founds to the virtual wallet is a pain (the psn don’t acept my mexican visa).

+ Money1 on August 29th, 2008 at 3:15 pm said:

Xam’d rocks. still waiting on boondocks

+ Ratchet3 on August 29th, 2008 at 3:15 pm said:

put tekken 3 and mortal kombat trilogy on psn mortal kombat 2, and tekken 5 sold a lot on psn

+ Ratchet3 on August 29th, 2008 at 3:16 pm said:

in the next update have the PSN IDs link up to each controller so more then one psn id can be logged in at once Ex: me and i my brother want to play warhawk i am using my username and he is using own so me and him can unlock trophies without one of us logging out

and be able to change your psn id name
THANKS

+ Ratchet3 on August 29th, 2008 at 3:20 pm said:

Sony, here are five things you can do to make PSP better

+ erico316 on August 29th, 2008 at 3:21 pm said:

um what about the devil may cry anime?

+ willacuz on August 29th, 2008 at 3:21 pm said:

Is Sony working on setting up HD sound as well as picture for purchases and Rentals?

The prices are good, but without 5.1 + surround sound, it really takes away from what we should be getting for that price.

XBLA content comes with Surround.

+ FritoZ on August 29th, 2008 at 3:23 pm said:

gotta say, the content of the store is improving by leaps and bounds!

Futurama, American Dad, Blade runner, Pee wee’s big adventure…NICE!

now if you guys would just lower the price to rent/buy or extend/loosen the rental policies, you’ll have a winner..

but until then…

so just let us view our rented movies as much as we want in our rental period! or just charge on flat monthly fee and let us view as much as we want as often as we want…unlimited!!!! like, you can only have one/two movie/ies at time, but you can watch em as many times as you want, and when you “return” those, you can immediately download more!!

thanks for listening!

+ Ratchet3 on August 29th, 2008 at 3:24 pm said:

sorry for the posts

+ theownerz on August 29th, 2008 at 3:32 pm said:

looks good this week

+ KazeEternal on August 29th, 2008 at 3:38 pm said:

Grace are you guys ever going to sell full season packages on the PSN?

I’d love to grab the entire first Season of Burn Notice all at once for a price of say 18 to 20 dollars.

Animes and other shows as well, these are great for PSP. However considering the number of episodes and price vs DVD you guys need to compete. Not like gas prices are so bad that I can’t make a 10 minute drive to Best Buy and still pay less for SD video.

+ darkiewonder on August 29th, 2008 at 3:40 pm said:

I have a question for Xam’d. Great show. when the season is over will you guys actually will have buy the episodes?

+ subbed on August 29th, 2008 at 3:42 pm said:

Oh and I fully agree with willacuz. Please add at least 5.1 surrond on downloads. Hell make it an option if you dont care download the smaller stereo only file I dont care.

+ SuperSonic1305 on August 29th, 2008 at 3:44 pm said:

Canada is angry

+ Money1 on August 29th, 2008 at 3:48 pm said:

didnt read the movie list, now I did…will def be downloading saw as it is the best out of the four

+ Maverick_fox on August 29th, 2008 at 3:49 pm said:

@16

At least you can select your own country on the PSN, Mexico isn’t even listed.

+ outkast32 on August 29th, 2008 at 3:50 pm said:

hi, can u give us info on the more important stuff though. like the home beta extension *promised at the end of the month
or when the ACTUAL RELEASE DATE is for LWP???

+ MegaClank on August 29th, 2008 at 3:50 pm said:

I love how Xam’d owns the Top 20 Downloads List every week. I need to buy those episodes, as soon as Season 1 is bundled. XD

+ Ebisch on August 29th, 2008 at 4:00 pm said:

I say this everyweek but… WHY ARE PEOPLE STILL WATCHING MEET THE SPARTANS!

+ FritoZ on August 29th, 2008 at 4:01 pm said:

@16 SuperSonic1305

well actually saskatchewan is mighty peeved, minnetoba is ticked off ay, and quebec is fâché!

sorry, i just like saying “saskatchewan”

no offence meant, it just seemed such a weird and offbeat statement.

i understand you want the video store up north, and i bet they are working on it…

i heard there is a new streaming app for Windows that allows Netflix streamed movies on your PS3…maybe that will help you!

peace

+ decimalator on August 29th, 2008 at 4:02 pm said:

Sadly, I’m never going to use the service. I’m not going to spend money for something that I can’t use on any system I have. DRM is a bad, bad, bad idea. I would use the movie store if I had more control over the content that I purchased.

+ PSPsGTghOost on August 29th, 2008 at 4:04 pm said:

Any news of this movie, tv store coming to Canada’s PSN anytime soon?

+ C-h-a-o-s on August 29th, 2008 at 4:06 pm said:

Nice to see a somewhat decent list of the top 10.

+ MidnightBlues on August 29th, 2008 at 4:07 pm said:

Futurama is pretty sweet! im bored with season 1 so im glad season 2 is here finally.

+ Zorox on August 29th, 2008 at 4:12 pm said:

Could you guys offer more anime with Japanese voices and subtitle?

+ woozie on August 29th, 2008 at 4:15 pm said:

Futurama! Yes! Oh how about making the “video” button on the store more noticeable?

+ SteveW62 on August 29th, 2008 at 4:24 pm said:

Great list. I hope you we can eventually buy tv shows by the entire season. I’d buy Burn Notice, but not until I can get it without buying each individual show.

+ harlemzkid on August 29th, 2008 at 4:29 pm said:

i want to buy Xam’d: Lost Memories and not just rent it.. also can we keep what we buy?

+ crystalx3d on August 29th, 2008 at 4:29 pm said:

@23
I hate DRM as much as the next guy, but unfortunately, it’s a fact of life. At least in the movie/tv industry. The music industry is starting to become more open to selling songs without DRM (itunes-plus) or even giving it for free. This is partly because music content is made by individuals or small groups of people, so they have more control over how their music is sold. Movies on the other hand are made by hundreds of people and the content is owned by huge studios, studios who are very paranoid about piracy.

The short story: If Sony tried to sell movies and tv shows on the store without some sort of DRM comparable to what is being used on the other online stores (XBLMP, itunes, amazon unbox, etc.) then it wouldn’t be able to partner with any movie studios to sell their movies. There would be no content on the movie store to choose from. So you see, sony has less control over this than you might think.

+ lightweaponx on August 29th, 2008 at 4:32 pm said:

BURN NOTICE AND FUTURAMA! Awesome Sony that [DELETED] rules. I just asked for both these last update.

+ crystalx3d on August 29th, 2008 at 4:36 pm said:

As of now, the only way I know of to get DRM-free movie content is to either:
Rip from DVD (which is border-line illegal since it involves breaking DVD encryption)
Or to record an atsc video stream of a movie/show (assuming there is no content flag that prevents this) and edit out the commercials. Of course, until Feb 2009, you can record an analog ntsc show but then the quality wouldn’t be very good.

+ hife on August 29th, 2008 at 4:47 pm said:

I’m looking, but I don’t see Next Avengers. What’s the deal?

+ rAdIOhEaD73 on August 29th, 2008 at 4:50 pm said:

Cool I am going to buy all this right now!, wait a minute, I don’t see the video tab on my PSN!, oh I remembered I am in Canada!!!!
You know what SONY?, I don’t mind getting the video store later than in the States, what really bothers me is your TOTAL SILENCE AND LACK OF AN OFFICIAL RESPOND of when can we expect the video store in Canada, for god’s sake, even Europe and Japan have a time frame…
Good Job SONY!!!!!!

+ leafs_fan on August 29th, 2008 at 4:52 pm said:

Is Canada going to be getting the Video Store any time soon?

+ fusen on August 29th, 2008 at 5:02 pm said:

Please try to bring Monk, Psych, Burn Notice from USA Network to PS Store.

+ fusen on August 29th, 2008 at 5:24 pm said:

^

Oops… You guys have Burn Notice after all.

+ duskywolf50 on August 29th, 2008 at 5:35 pm said:

This is ridiculous cause they do not give a damn about us. I really want watch shows or movies from Playstation Store but there no subtitle included and I am deaf and I cannot enjoy it. they are big time neglect and all want your money not thoughtful. Sony is LOSER.

+ elfhunter on August 29th, 2008 at 5:38 pm said:

And the update for Canada is….??????

Informed gamers are happy gamers!!

+ X820 on August 29th, 2008 at 5:40 pm said:

Canada? When?

+ cmargary on August 29th, 2008 at 5:57 pm said:

@38

many digital downloads movies doesn’t offer captions but sony need to be different because be honest… isn’t the best video download even on a console (at least the ps3 have a better store layout).

We, deaf people ( I’m just a little, not completely) really wants captions or subtitles.

+ ant is a anthole on August 29th, 2008 at 5:58 pm said:

Will you ever be able to purchase X’amd? I don’t really wanna purchase a one day rental for 3.99 per episode but I will pick it up day one if you have it for purchase. Here’s to hoping Sony picks up more anime shows, keep up the good work!!

+ SILV3R_ on August 29th, 2008 at 6:14 pm said:

Playstation Blog lists the Store Video Update.

Question: How about SingStar store update list?
Why not list the update here?

+ saliwok on August 29th, 2008 at 6:28 pm said:

Hey – still waiting in Canada.

C’mon, Sony….

+ Money1 on August 29th, 2008 at 6:30 pm said:

to deaf people, try getting a hearing aid

to canadians….don’t know what to tell ya

+ blkant on August 29th, 2008 at 6:43 pm said:

Where is the rest of futurama SERIOUSLY?!?!?

+ kspraydad on August 29th, 2008 at 6:45 pm said:

To all Canadians (I am one).

1. NO download delivery service has every launched in Canada and the US at the same time. If you wish to have a concept of how long it might take SONY take a look at iTunes.

2. The VAST majority of Canadians are stuck with usage caps of 60GB before they pay even more per GB. A DL Movie store sounds awesome but until we have more ISP competition it is going to be any expensive rental / purchase.

3. Grace…please address SOME questions each week…pages and pages of commentary without even an acknowledgement that you ‘might’ be listening is not good PR.

+ NewYork214 on August 29th, 2008 at 7:36 pm said:

finally some USA shows. just need monk,psych, and In Plain sight. and get some HBO and Showtime shows

PAGE 1 2