PS4 - Transistor

New PSP’s Battery Life Equivalent to Current PSP

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Sep 03, 2008 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

Hi, everyone, there have been reports about the battery life of the new PSP system (PSP-3000) being shorter than the current model (PSP-2000), following an interview we recently did with Gamespot. I’d like to make a correction and clarify that the new PSP will have equivalent battery life to the current PSP, about 4 to 6 hours for games and about 4 to 5 hours for UMD videos. While the enhanced screen of the new PSP draws a little more power, our engineers in Japan worked to reduce the power consumption of the overall system including its components, so you won’t have to worry about losing any time when enjoying the more vibrant visuals displayed with the new PSP.

We hope this clears everything up, and we’re certainly excited about letting you all get your hands on the new PSP and checking out the enhanced screen when it hits retail next month.

74 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ verybadbeetle on September 3rd, 2008 at 3:10 pm said:

Thanks for clearing that up. Now we only need the release dates for the bundles. I would still love a second nub on the PSP, perhaps we will get it on the PSP2…

+ viprdude on September 3rd, 2008 at 3:17 pm said:

thanks.

any new that someone can tell us about HOME? about Life with Playstation? about the delay machine aka SCE.

+ IceCold on September 3rd, 2008 at 3:19 pm said:

Jeff,

While at PAX the young lady with the PSP-3000 strapped to her said something about a white PSP in the future. Can you confirm that we will see a white bundle or core in the near future? I only want a white PSP, preferably without a silkscreen on the back this time. I’m itching to get my hands on the new PSP, but I going to have to hold out until I see white…

+ Guts05 on September 3rd, 2008 at 3:40 pm said:

@SantaClause89

If you paid attention you would know that socom beta got delayed just a few days, and the Resistance 2 beta was just announced while during pax this past weekend so it wasnt delayed, honestly you should be happy they have an open beta and stop [DELETED].

+ THATPSPGUY on September 3rd, 2008 at 3:44 pm said:

Hey Jeff, do you know if they are going to increase the NAND Flash memoryt of the psp? It would let them add a bunch of new features. Can you find out if it will be the same 64mb or will they double it?
Thanks as always.

+ Neo_Selen1 on September 3rd, 2008 at 3:45 pm said:

can we ever get a second joystick! that would make me buy a psp in a heartbeat

+ stewey on September 3rd, 2008 at 4:03 pm said:

Sweet! It looks like I’m going to picking up a new psp this year!

+ HazeDG13 on September 3rd, 2008 at 4:09 pm said:

I really hope this will fix the MANY microphone issues that has been plaguing the PS3 since day one. The VOIP doesn’t work at all in Battlefield Bad Company and it really is annoying. A game like that, along with many other games that have voice issues, is dependent on communication. I can’t wait for SOCOM!!!

+ HazeDG13 on September 3rd, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

Oops, wrong post, lol.

Sorry.

PSP, YAY!

+ DarkPlanet on September 3rd, 2008 at 6:03 pm said:

Thanks for claritying it.

+ lorddshadow on September 3rd, 2008 at 6:50 pm said:

Is there any chance of SCEA localizing Yuusha No Kuse Ni Namaikida or the sequel in the states? If it was put on the PS Store, I would instantly buy it.

+ FelonOnParole on September 3rd, 2008 at 8:09 pm said:

New screen- cool. But some of the adult owners of the PSP would love to be able to access the movies and PS3 video games we’ve downloaded from PSN, or watch a Blu-Ray/DVD using the Remote Play feature.

+ gardea on September 3rd, 2008 at 9:29 pm said:

This will be my 4th PSP :)

+ an4564 on September 4th, 2008 at 1:14 am said:

i love it
but i got both of the old ones do i really need one more?

+ Zta on September 4th, 2008 at 3:17 am said:

Oh Sony.. Why didn’t you add a camera and bluetooth now you had the think split open?

+ jazzyrider on September 4th, 2008 at 5:39 am said:

So will the new existing bundles be updated soon, ie the God of War, Madden? Or can we expect those colored PSPs to be available as a core pack? I’m sort of glad I didn’t buy a red GoW PSP2000 but I really do want to upgrade to a PSP3000.

+ markstew on September 4th, 2008 at 10:09 am said:

i guess it’s got an LED backlight?

+ phillyclause89 on September 4th, 2008 at 1:23 pm said:

Still not buying one tell there are two analog sticks.

+ Gunwing on September 4th, 2008 at 4:39 pm said:

Any word on the new firmware features would be nice. We hear about them but there is no way to know if they are true or not. Please do a blog post of the new firmware features, and what Sony has done this time around to stop hackers.

+ striplay on September 13th, 2008 at 1:49 pm said:

@ 24

Regarding:

@24 outkast32
Offtopic
Come on, lets employ this space to ask meaningful questions about the subject :D

_____________________________________________

If there was a place to post off topic comments here…

Also, if those types of comments received some sort of reply, it may reduce the amount of posts regarding the topic thus ceasing to disrupt your delicate sensibility.

+ striplay on September 13th, 2008 at 1:50 pm said:

Meant @ 27

+ jamesnorman93 on September 26th, 2008 at 3:19 am said:

Look at the comparison of the screen quality between the PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 :O

You can see how well that anti-reflection works :)

Defiantly buying the PSP-3000 as my first PSP device :)

P.S. I rung up EB Games in Perth, Australia and he said the PSP-3000 is set to come in November :)

+ jamesnorman93 on September 26th, 2008 at 6:54 am said:

we will also be able to tell the difference between the PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 by where the “SONY” logo is…

+ macbookboi18 on October 3rd, 2008 at 8:13 am said:

I always wanted to know since the PSP is the best handheld ever-made, is Sony ever going to make the UMD into Mini Blu-Ray because I know that will boost up sales knowing that the graphics will significantly increase for the better!

PAGE 1 2