Bloodborne

Official Bluetooth Headset for the PLAYSTATION 3

Anand Agarwal's Avatar + Posted by Anand Agarwal on Sep 03, 2008 // Sr. Manager, Brand Marketing

Hey everyone, I’m Anand Agarwal, Product Manager for PlayStation Peripherals. Two weeks ago, we informed you about the Wireless Keypad for PS3, and today we want to tell you more about the official Bluetooth Headset for PS3 that we unveiled during SOCOM Media day.

PS3 Bluetooth

This headset will be offered in one retail version of SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation this October, as well as a standalone peripheral this fall. It features a prominent Mute button and a Charging Cradle. It will work with not only your PS3 but with Bluetooth enabled cell phones. But this is information that you already know about. Today we want to talk about some really cool features of this Headset that we have been working on behind the scenes. These features will be unlocked by the PS3 through a firmware update that is scheduled for this fall.

• The headset will feature “High-Quality (HQ) mode” with PS3. In this mode, the headset will take advantage of advanced voice technologies and noise cancellation techniques to provide clear and wideband voice input to the PS3. The HQ mode will ensure a much better voice chat quality on the PS3.
  • HQ mode will also enable accurate speech recognition required to support or enhance ‘Voice Command’ and ‘Voice Animation’ features. Voice Command was originally used in SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for PS2 to administer the AI-controlled teammates using the WHO, WHAT, and WHERE format (example: Bravo, Attack, Nav Point Zulu). Voice Animation refers to the in-game character mimicking you during voice chat. With HQ mode, these features can be enabled on a much larger vocabulary in select PS3 games.
  • PS3 will display an in-game status indicator exclusively for this headset that will show the headset’s connection status, battery charge level, speaker volume level and microphone mute status.
  • Tired of wearing the headset during a long multiplayer gaming session or is your headset battery running out of charge? Just dock the headset in the supplied charging cradle, and the headset will work as a desktop microphone while charging.
  • Last but not least, the headset will automatically pair with the PS3 by connecting with a USB cable.

SCEA was one of the first companies to popularize VoIP technology within a console videogame through SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs for PS2. As you can see, we have made a great effort to expand on this legacy and develop the most compelling headset for the PS3 community. We are really excited to bring it to market this fall with the SOCOM: Confrontation bundle ($59.99 MSRP) and as a standalone peripheral ($49.99 MSRP).

+ phinn on September 3rd, 2008 at 7:39 pm said:

Definitely getting this with the SOCOM bundle if it proves to be good. Don’t [DELETED] up SOCOM Sony, you need this! It must be the best game ever

+ winner00 on September 3rd, 2008 at 7:48 pm said:

I am getting this for sure with socom.
Question:

Can you give us any info on whats included in the same firmware that the headset update is in? Say 2.50.

+ murc13lago on September 3rd, 2008 at 7:49 pm said:

i hope u answer my question

please bundle the headset with the psn download because i dont to get the BR of the game

thanks,

+ Chrono917 on September 3rd, 2008 at 7:50 pm said:

Wtf? How is it that for 10 more dollars you can get a game? Lol, lower the price a bit guys, I say $30 is way more reasonable than $50. And instead of going with the 80gb ps3 w/ DualShock 3 controller for 399.99, I think you guys should bundle this with it to make it even better.

And off topic, for the 120GB bundle w/ Uncharted, seriously I think that should be LittleBigPlanet instead of Uncharted because of all the memory LBP will take with all the levels and stuff, so yeah…

+ mrnagy88 on September 3rd, 2008 at 7:56 pm said:

Wow, that sound like a superb headset… any chance some phones will use that high-quality mode in the future? I guess it doesn’t matter much, since the sound is compressed up the wazoo over the networks :-p

+ wocyob on September 3rd, 2008 at 7:58 pm said:

ok thats really awesome and i cant wait for this…but

since we are going to get an update for this new mode…. by any chance will we get an update for a private chat room so me and a few freinds be able to talk with out some other people telling us to shut up?

im sure im not the only person who would LOVE to have this

because im way to use to Vent and having to talk to just my friends for online gaming

+ Mattchewie on September 3rd, 2008 at 8:04 pm said:

awesome guys. I have a plantronics set but I think this will be the better option.

I hope that there are plans to include this set in a system bundle to get people talking!

+ cmargary on September 3rd, 2008 at 8:05 pm said:

noise cancellation and the cradle it what sold me believe me… anyway I have all the normal accessories of the ps3…

A little off topic… please sony work with logitech to make a harmony specially for the ps3… a unique sleek universal one it what really need as a bluray player with dedicated buttons.

+ ctbundy on September 3rd, 2008 at 8:20 pm said:

Thank you. This sounds amazing. I’m getting it day one.

+ GGCAN on September 3rd, 2008 at 8:20 pm said:

Thanks Anand.

I had read previously about this headset being included in Socom on another blog for a better price than just a stand a lone headset.

I think I also read that this may not be a package available in Canada (I may be wrong on this one)….can you comment if it’s only going to be US based, or available around the globe ?

Appreciate the article.

+ deans1986 on September 3rd, 2008 at 8:43 pm said:

This is gonna be a tough decision. I love being able to download games from PSN so I do not have to load discs in when I want to switch games. But that damn headset sounds so goooood!

+ jorgiex on September 3rd, 2008 at 8:53 pm said:

I am so wanting this Official PS3 headset. This is really what is needed as to get everyone connected for online gaming setup with a solid high quality BlueTooth headset.
Thank you SONY. I am now happy, for now.
Now back to waiting for a HOME BETA invite and I will all together literally live in HOME..lol

+ senjutsu_dav on September 3rd, 2008 at 8:53 pm said:

Wow, I might get the game since it’s only 10$ more, lol.

+ TheApprentice on September 3rd, 2008 at 8:58 pm said:

Impressive surprise features in this headset…
Me likey..

Will get 2 copies of Socom Confrontation for each ps3 in the house :D

+ ur_not_ready on September 3rd, 2008 at 9:01 pm said:

Iv read some where that if you buy the stand alone head set, it comes with a replacment ear bud. Will the Socom bundle also have the extra piece?

Whats the difference between the bundle and stand alone. (if any)

+ InFaMoUs_GeMiNi on September 3rd, 2008 at 9:09 pm said:

You know what would make it great…if they added the ability to talk to your friends across games.

+ viper262 on September 3rd, 2008 at 9:11 pm said:

I like the design of it and the great price, but im just wondering about how comfortable it will be. Wonder what the deminsions are?

+ verybadbeetle on September 3rd, 2008 at 9:24 pm said:

Love the new headset. HQ mode, PS3 integration, and the option to use it as a mic when in the cradle are awesome. I just hope it is comfortable.

+ MUGEN02 on September 3rd, 2008 at 9:26 pm said:

@Anand
Will this update allow you to charge the headset while the ps3 is off? if not then you should push this subject at sony because it has been a feature that we should of have since the launch of the ps3 and the other console on the market has had since it’s launch. The endless amount of gadgets and ps3 controllers people would like to charge have to waste electricity or buy 3rd party products that charge them from an AC outlet.

thanks for the update on the mic and i’m sure ill be buying the socom pack next month.

+ gardea on September 3rd, 2008 at 9:27 pm said:

Does it work on phones? I’m getting it either way with the SOCOM Bundle. I still have my SOCOM 1 headset!!! lol

+ FeaturePreacher on September 3rd, 2008 at 9:32 pm said:

Will the official headset eventually be bundled with a ps3 system as an official package? If so, when?

+ Squall2600 on September 3rd, 2008 at 9:41 pm said:

yay

+ Ghostm on September 3rd, 2008 at 10:01 pm said:

@ 93 lakaihigh

It’s posted on amazon.com

+ GANJAGURU on September 3rd, 2008 at 10:06 pm said:

Looks okay, nothing special.
Also, looks like it will be very uncomfortable wearing it for a couple of hours as there is no padding and plastic will start to hurt the ear.
Regards,
GANJAGURU

+ saintfighteraqua on September 3rd, 2008 at 10:34 pm said:

Looks way better than the thing used on the “other” system, which by the way is miserable.
I hope this one has better sound and quality!! (I’m sure it will)

+ JiNN on September 3rd, 2008 at 10:41 pm said:

Nice Headset, will be getting with Socom.

but yeah it would be really, really, really, cool if u guys come up with a new optional controller for the PS3,
like a shooter style controller, bigger, with the best ergonomics.

i think SONY should be all about options this generation

+ MvmntInGrn on September 3rd, 2008 at 11:57 pm said:

wow this is really cool, surprised at the pricing plan but it really seems to benefit the consumer as far as the bundle goes.

With so much news on Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 multiplayer I was getting a bit worried Socom had been brushed aside, everything seems well here though, I will be picking up the full bundle!

+ Guen on September 4th, 2008 at 12:32 am said:

Nice. So when is the PS3 getting Skype?(like the PSP)And when are we going to get in-game Skype?

Does are the features I whant the most on the PS3!

+ Zaku on September 4th, 2008 at 1:11 am said:

Already have a Jabra but I’m going to pick one of these up. Looks to be an improvement in every way and specifically designed for the PS3.

+ Conrad Max on September 4th, 2008 at 2:33 am said:

Looking good!

Question: When using it as a stand-alone mic, will we beable to continue using it for in-game chat or will it only work on PSN/video chat?

+ herb420 on September 4th, 2008 at 2:34 am said:

@response to 47

safety? WTF

+ Onna76_NL on September 4th, 2008 at 2:44 am said:

Quite a price tag you’ve added there ….

I said to a friend of mine yesterday, it would have been nice if we could have in game chats through headsets.. So you would be able to talk to someone when you’re playing a game different from the one from the person to who you’re talking to.

+ superaktieboy on September 4th, 2008 at 2:57 am said:

awesome.. will definitely buy this :) just waiting for the EU announcement :D

+ JaKhris on September 4th, 2008 at 3:18 am said:

Hey looks very ni…Oh my god, $50 for JUST the headset!?

+ JAXX377 on September 4th, 2008 at 3:38 am said:

Maybe too late to ask this question but, When cradling the headset will it switch automatically between acting like a headset to a desktop microphone or are there settings to change for this switch to take place. I don’t want to have to have to leave the middle of a game to make the switch.

+ the_icon on September 4th, 2008 at 3:53 am said:

Sounds great, Love the design and interested about the HQ mode. However, the price 50$ kinda looks less encouraging, so its best to get the SOCOM bundle instead.

+ Herby on September 4th, 2008 at 4:03 am said:

Damn Now to figure out what I am going to do with my old headset.

+ Chrisrahosiris on September 4th, 2008 at 4:54 am said:

I just pre-ordered the Socom bundle on Amazon. This is really turning into a great accessory. Thanks Sony

+ Emophia on September 4th, 2008 at 5:24 am said:

To clarify.

Could I use this headset in desktop mode on my PC as a PC microphone?

That would make my day.

Thanks.

+ Enforcer_X on September 4th, 2008 at 5:29 am said:

Now we are talking!
I love to see cool stuff like this!
HQ Mode FTW!

+ indigovenom on September 4th, 2008 at 6:27 am said:

can this headset work with a pc?

+ scorpio on September 4th, 2008 at 6:54 am said:

I wasnt sure I was going to get this mic as I have the one that came with Warhawk. After reading this I may just end up getting it. I find it much improved over the Warhawk headset in terms of ease of use and storage. Also the option to still use it as a mic while charing is awesome!!!

+ Hatter on September 4th, 2008 at 7:49 am said:

hmm I have to keep an eye out for this. :)

+ makingdamage on September 4th, 2008 at 9:03 am said:

Here´s an idea: sell it with every sold ps3 so I got someone to talk to in the online world. It´s awful quiet out there now…

Also, the design isn´t the greatest. I´ve got a similar headset (Jabra, the one that came with warhawk) and it´s really no good. The darn thing always keep popping out of my ear. A headset like the one Microsoft use seems way better…

+ toombzie on September 4th, 2008 at 9:07 am said:

so is sony planning on fixing all the bluetooth headset issues in a future firmware update?

+ AdversaryofGod on September 4th, 2008 at 9:17 am said:

Obviously THE BEST Bluetooth Headset Ever!

+ OrganicShadow on September 4th, 2008 at 10:20 am said:

-At some point in time start including it standard with all PS3 units without additional cost
-Update firmware so that trophy indicator, clock, battery life indicator, and mic indicator aren’t all piled up on eachother on the top right hand corner of the screen
-Promote this headset as THE STANDARD PS3 headset like crazy

…and then we can consider this thing a grand slam. :D

+ Violater on September 4th, 2008 at 10:36 am said:

Will this headset solve the PS3 VOIP issues that plague almost every game?

Resistance fall of man has been the only PS3 game without voice chat issues, why is this?

+ StevenBullen on September 4th, 2008 at 10:36 am said:

Great news… except I already own a bluetooth headset. But with the extra features… it’s worth the purchase.

Digg it up – http://digg.com/playstation/Official_Bluetooth_Headset_for_the_PLAYSTATION_3_2

+ thegeckoj on September 4th, 2008 at 11:22 am said:

will the HQ mode be supported on a game by game basis, or is it a headset/ps3 specific feature useable in all games?