PS4-The Order

PLAYSTATION Store Video Content Update

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Sep 05, 2008 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

Hi again! The weekend’s here – time for your weekly update of new movie & TV shows on the PLAYSTATION Store.

This week we’ve added new video content from the following television series:

• American Dad, Season 2 & 3
  • Bones, Season 1
  • Combat Zone, Season 1
  • Everest: Beyond the Limit, Season 2
  • Fat Guy Stuck in the Internet, Season 1
  • Gene Simmons: Family Jewels, Season 3
  • Miami Ink, Season 4
  • Scooby-Doo: Where Are You?, Season 3
  • The First 48, Season 7
  • The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Season 1
  • The Universe, Season 2
  • UFO Hunters, Season 1
  • Weaponology, Season 2
  • Xam’d: Lost Memories, Season 1

We’ve also added the following feature films to the Store:

• A Clockwork Orange

PAGE 1 2

+ ftwrthtx on September 5th, 2008 at 4:05 pm said:

Thanks for the update

+ Aaron on September 5th, 2008 at 4:05 pm said:

Awesome update thanks! :) :D

+ Codeman420 on September 5th, 2008 at 4:07 pm said:

WOW!!! wat an update you guys.gals added a bunch of stuff this time. grats and keep up the awesome work

+ Makasu on September 5th, 2008 at 4:12 pm said:

Hey Grace, please ask a designer to make a simple css styled list for you instead of that black and white horrible thing :) Just trying to help…

+ Elsa43 on September 5th, 2008 at 4:15 pm said:

hmmm… I’m looking on the “Playstation Store” and can’t find the TV/movie downloads!

Oh… you must mean the “U.S. Playstation Store” as opposed to the “Canadian Playstation Store”. No problem that we don’t get this content yet… but it would be nice if you would specify when content or services are not available across all regions.

+ Nito025 on September 5th, 2008 at 4:19 pm said:

Great update!!! Lots of good content! Keep up the good work! And please consider a subscription for the movie store! Thanks

+ Wolfe13 on September 5th, 2008 at 4:20 pm said:

An update for when Canada gets the video store would be nice…is it even coming this year?

+ SILV3R_ on September 5th, 2008 at 4:21 pm said:

I would love to have a good, great and best weekend by having a video access in my Canadian PSN store.

+ X1rtam on September 5th, 2008 at 4:22 pm said:

Yes, more Bones season 1! And what’s that “Matrix Revisited?”

+ outkast32 on September 5th, 2008 at 4:25 pm said:

good update its HUGE, as i was looking through the producers, i saw CBS, and cartoon network or somthing, how come there are not any other hit tv shows from those channels. what about smallville from the CW and stuff.

also is pixel junk monster trophies comming?

*** FW UPDATE SUGGESTIONS
1) update ps3 web browser flash player. or use GOOGLE CHROME since u partnered with them for the SEARCH BAR.

+ psufan001 on September 5th, 2008 at 4:33 pm said:

Nice work, are there any plans on getting some new networks in the store?

+ elfhunter on September 5th, 2008 at 4:39 pm said:

CANADA!???

+ kurtkbee on September 5th, 2008 at 4:41 pm said:

I would first like to say that while I have been using the PSN movie download service I find that it is lacking a few key features that are needed to make it a more complete service.

1) Ratings
The ability for people who have watched the movie to rate a movie (out of 5?)

2) Popularity
The ability to filter “within” genera for the popularity (i.e. the number of downloads of movies)

3) Previews of movies before downloading
At the moment only very few previews exist for the rather small library of movies posted on PSN

4) Freestuff
A section for free movie downloads (small indy or short films) as this would entice people to use the store

5) 3rd party rating/info Database
Integration with a movie review site (like rottentomotoes.com) to immediately see if a movie got good reviews before i download (could be in the movie details/info section)

6) Movie metadata info
“Every” film should have info/details about the movie (genera,year,actor,synopsis).

7) More movies
new and old….I mean really old !!! The library is too small atm.

My wife and I really love this service have canceled our blockbuster (online) account and prefer the ability to (almost) immediately watch shows rather than wait for DVDs in mail.

It just seems that the PSN movie service is somewhat rushed and not very revolutionary!

I am really hoping that Sony releases an improved browser that has a newer version of flash so that i could augment my movie watching on PSN with HULU (and nbc.com).

-Kurt

PSN ID: kurtkbee75

+ kurtkbee on September 5th, 2008 at 4:47 pm said:

I am really happy for the new content, however my problems with the service (mentioned in my post above) make it a difficult system to easily adopt.

Amazon just released there service and while it lacks the living room audience it does address the failings of Sony’s offering.
Please make an effort to fix these (usability) problems with your movie service.

I really think that the CEO should be forced to use the service for a month and I am willing to bet thereafter the programmers/engineers would “quickly” fix the problems.

Hope that my repeated posting are not being ignored :-/

-Kurt

PSN ID: kurtkbee75

+ Subzero_11 on September 5th, 2008 at 4:50 pm said:

Hey, thanks for supporting us Canadi——

oh wait.

+ Al2x on September 5th, 2008 at 4:53 pm said:

Here’s my bet: I am Legend for either the #1 or #2 spot next week!

+ kspraydad on September 5th, 2008 at 4:55 pm said:

@5,7,8,12

Can you please stop the weekly whine? There is NO American based rental service that has come to Canada at the same time that the US version launched.

Sony needs to deal with the CRTC and provincial ratings boards and the Quebec question before it gets launched here.

Do you WANT SCEA to say “in about a month” and then get shat on for missing the deadline just like other promises that get missed? Give it a rest.

Peace.

+ PSPsGTghOost on September 5th, 2008 at 4:55 pm said:

Come on! Are you guys bringing the movie store to Canada at least by 2014?

+ Daver on September 5th, 2008 at 5:06 pm said:

Awesome update for the vvideo store. I hope canadians will get some news about it soon

+ AwRy108 on September 5th, 2008 at 5:10 pm said:

Please add the ability to re-download deleted content; otherwise, no $ from me.

+ Stoffinator on September 5th, 2008 at 5:14 pm said:

Still waiting for the announcement that it will be in Canada. :-p

+ Zanar on September 5th, 2008 at 5:14 pm said:

Apparently Xam’d is so popular that one of its episodes is the most downloaded AND 5th most downloaded…

+ Dru1989 on September 5th, 2008 at 5:29 pm said:

Well, I am glad to see content finally being updated on a regular basis.

Sadly, I did not purchase a PS3 and 40″ Sony 1080p LCD XBR TV to watch Standard Definition Content!!!

Gee you offer “I Am Legend” (a great movie) in Standard Definition??????? Fortunately I purchased the blu-ray, or maybe that’s Sony’s marketing plan…don’t offer it on playstation store and they’ll buy more blu-rays.

Get with it users are demanding High Definition Content!!!

I’m tired of the X-Box 360 fan boys, it’s time for Sony to take control of the US market and offer something that will set it apart from the 360.

+ So Young on September 5th, 2008 at 5:30 pm said:

Why no videostore in Canada? I mean, I pay my ps3 700$ like any other person and I have not all the feature the console have.

I’m very desapointed with that and the fact we dont have any clue if the videostore will come here or not.

+ JexXero on September 5th, 2008 at 5:33 pm said:

Now I understand that us Canadians live a little further north then Americans *excluding Alaska* but COME ON! Why is it soo hard to bring video download service to this country?? Its not like we are from a different region, we are right above you! So what if our dollar is a couple cents above or below you?!? Its been neck and neck most of the year! I understand the great people at Sony are very busy with many things trying to make the best of everything they have and developing… BUT ANY CLUE HERE?? And you don’t have the excuse that they got stuck in a snow storm! It’s not January yet.

In short please put Video Download Service in Canada =D thanks!

+ AranhaHunter on September 5th, 2008 at 5:37 pm said:

Huge update, hopefully every week is like this or more…

However WHY can I not see New Line or Touchstone under movie studios? You have their movies in the store, can someone answer this simple question? Thanks

@kurtkbee

PSN overall has a long way to go, but there has been MAJOR improvements since the PS3 release and remember the Video Store is just over a month old….Paramount has not updated since the 1st day, no NBC/Universal, etc…however I’m really hoping for (soon):

1)Monthly subscription service for rentals
2)Ability to rent ALL movies (preferably in HD as well as SD)
3)Preview on ALL movies
4)Day and date release with BD and DVDs

+ offdah3z on September 5th, 2008 at 5:43 pm said:

drillbit taylor, still?

+ AranhaHunter on September 5th, 2008 at 5:43 pm said:

Also the updates are getting bigger and bigger, I jolted down the amount of movies/shows each studio had in the first 2 weeks or so and save for MGM and Paramount, all studios have added movies, especially Sony and lately, Warner (as well as “non-existent” New Line and Touchstone). Lately the updates are way bigger than before.

TV shows is 50/50 some have added and some have not, there really should be an option to preview show episodes and buy whole TV seasons….a lot of seasons are missing content as well, though there might be the reason you cannot buy the whole season as a package….

+ AranhaHunter on September 5th, 2008 at 5:50 pm said:

@kurtkbee

Sorry I didn’t mention this before, you can already filter movies by popularity on the Movies -> “Top Downloads” tab, but I do like the idea of ratings (and sorting by rating, maybe Top 100 movies or so) and free (or really cheap) “indie” and “short films”, it would definitely be a welcome addition.

+ TheRebellion on September 5th, 2008 at 5:57 pm said:

when are we gonna get a update for super stardust? i want a platinum trophy. i think we deserver it for just unlocking the late bomber trophy…. lol jk. please can we have a platinum trophy for SSHD?

+ bsm1 on September 5th, 2008 at 6:01 pm said:

Great … Lots of new stuff

+ Celdurant on September 5th, 2008 at 6:02 pm said:

I would totally buy House if it were on the PSN store. Only thing missing from the FOX TV section

+ C-h-a-o-s on September 5th, 2008 at 6:10 pm said:

wow, huge update today eh. When I find the PSn cards I am def going to get Wyatt Earp, that movie has one of my favorite lines (i’ll be your huckleberry) great line.

+ syounger64 on September 5th, 2008 at 6:11 pm said:

Sorry to rain on everyone’s parade but until Sony adds at least English subtitles for at least 80% of the videos…I am NOT impressed and am NOT happy with Sony or this service. This is a serious overlook on Sony’s part.

+ JexXero on September 5th, 2008 at 6:22 pm said:

@syounger64

Why exactly do you want english subtitles?

+ DankandSticky on September 5th, 2008 at 6:22 pm said:

I love that all 5 episodes of Afro Samurai are on the Top List!!!

+ Johnny Sasaki on September 5th, 2008 at 6:23 pm said:

Quick question, is “The Lives of Others” in German with English subtitles, or is it with English audio only? Subtitles would be my preferred way for sure…

+ Money1 on September 5th, 2008 at 6:23 pm said:

I watch XAM’D every tuesday. I love it. I noticed sony updates the store every tuesdays and thursdays, add a few more on fridays…i love it

+ Macfan881 on September 5th, 2008 at 6:32 pm said:

Nice update can we get a update on the home invite situation we know they all went out on tuesday. but we been geting reports that more will be sent out weekly can we get any confirmation on that?

+ Jeigh on September 5th, 2008 at 7:00 pm said:

Well, Drillbit Taylor has finally dropped out of the Top 10. It’s been a long time coming, but it’s finally happened. Glad to see Harold and Kumar at the top- I want to see that movie too.

Any chance of seasons being sold as sets?

+ Captain Fury on September 5th, 2008 at 7:10 pm said:

yay for Pee Wee on the top 20!

+ Mindplague on September 5th, 2008 at 7:14 pm said:

Where is the Canadian video store?

+ BZKlint on September 5th, 2008 at 7:41 pm said:

Speed Racer please ;)

+ 001 on September 5th, 2008 at 7:43 pm said:

SCOOBY DOO!

I want futurama :) NOW SONY

Great update as always grace

+ snobrder218 on September 5th, 2008 at 7:49 pm said:

Last week you guys said you added more Futurama, and I’ve been checking but I have not seen any more episodes. I hope this gets fixed soon! Thanks everyone whos been working hard at getting new shows and movies for us!

+ Protopet on September 5th, 2008 at 7:52 pm said:

Hey Sony can you guys put the show “House” in the store. Thanks

+ xaos on September 5th, 2008 at 7:55 pm said:

Missed the Ultimate Avengers movies, yeah?

+ cabrito on September 5th, 2008 at 8:03 pm said:

Hello PSN Guys!!

It is awesome to see the amount of content coming to the store every week, even when I cannot download it because of region constrains, I’m in Brazil.

Two things if I may:
1 – You guys, specially Marketing, have to make a better job in showing the things the PS3 can do in comparison to the competitors. Every time I show remote-play to my friends their jaws drop, and as the price cannot be lowered for now, get some more cool features in there. One I’ve been asking for is PSP Video Transcoding with DRM, where any video the PS3 can play can be exported to the PSP, including any DVD.

2 – Can you guys get someone to speak in the blog about the South America presence discussed at E3?

Cheers and keep these videos coming, so I can get my hands on them when the service debuts here in Brazil.

+ digplans on September 5th, 2008 at 8:18 pm said:

Canadian here. Definitely would like the video service soon. I know you’re going through the CRTC bull****, but get on with it. Releases normally go throughout most of North America so this shouldn’t be an exception.

Release date please? Life with Playstation: this month, at least?

+ lakaihigh on September 5th, 2008 at 9:04 pm said:

3 words for everyone here!

“A Clockwork Orange”

buy it. love it. bask in its glory!

peace,